Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
RIP marvel heroes
:sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

After going hog wild for a couple months I have basically everything I want. This is the first day I don't have anything cooking and it feels weird.

I might need to take a little break and play, y'know, any other game.

Unironically, that's a healthy way to play games. They're probably too busy until after Tennocon to do anything other than OS bugfixes anyhow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Unlucky7 posted:

Hey, the game will still be here when you get back.

...Just like me and Marvel Heroes! :downs:

:negative: Don't make me go back to MH.
I wasted so much time as Storm flying around downtown and auto-killing everything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

After going hog wild for a couple months I have basically everything I want. This is the first day I don't have anything cooking and it feels weird.

That's what I thought to myself a month ago. I'm only now managing to stop.

Unlucky7 posted:

Hey, the game will still be here when you get back.

...Just like me and Marvel Heroes! :downs:

I never finished cosmicing Doom. Oh well, at least the achievement for doing Wakanda as Black Panther will forever remain on my rare Steam achievement showcase, telling everyone I liked him before he was popular.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I was the only person that really loved Moon Knight and Squirrel Girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

:negative: Don't make me go back to MH.
I wasted so much time as Storm flying around downtown and auto-killing everything.

i've got some good news for you

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I think I was the only person that really loved Moon Knight and Squirrel Girl.
I unironically liked Nightcrawler even though he was the PS+ free hero.

I also like Nezha.

It seems that I like zippy bois.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I unironically liked Nightcrawler even though he was the PS+ free hero.

I also like Nezha.

It seems that I like zippy bois.

Same. Any game that let's me be an evasion melee fighter is good.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

wid posted:

Miter has not been the worst junk ever since the previous balance pass. I have a Pantera with a riven and it could do sorties fine. Very ammo efficient, hits like a truck. Miter is also at least a decent weapon. A lot of previous junk are now viable, especially ones locked at higher MR. Low tier crap like Lato is still poo poo though and no riven can make it sortie tier.

That's right... I forgot about the big balance pass. I wasn't around when it happened. Thanks for the summary.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Gitro posted:

Whoever Flipsixthreehole is, I just unveiled another mediocre quanta riven so you've ascended to the winner's list!

Sweet! It’ll probably be tomorrow night before I can get on again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Have they nerfed Tellurium drops? I've been in and out of Uranus all night (!) and still haven't had any drop. Even intercut them with some regular archwing, but nothing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Have they nerfed Tellurium drops? I've been in and out of Uranus all night (!) and still haven't had any drop. Even intercut them with some regular archwing, but nothing.

I am definitely wondering this myself, because I've been running a bunch of AW stuff for two weeks now and only gotten a single piece. I need seven for the crap in my forge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I only need another two, but i'm sure i'll need more again soon. Everyone online has been saying to do Ophelia, but it's just not dropping for me at all.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Could someone explain briefly how different weapons should be modded differently? Earlier someone gave me Hunter Munitions and Scattered Justice right when I got my Hek, and I just assumed they were awesome so I drop them both into it. SJ is amazing, but apparently HM isn't a good fit for a shotgun.
So, which mods work best with which types of weapons? If I have something with a high ROF, should I try and make it proc status effects, or raw damage, or does that depend on different factors? I'm just going to assume that mods like Serration that are just a straight damage increase are a given, though. But obviously different types of weapons are suited to different specializations that I don't quite get yet.

Here's the weapons 'categories' as I understand them - There's probably a few I haven't included but at MR7 these are all I've run into so far -

Weapon Types
High Damage, single-shot (bows, SRs)
Multishot (Shotguns)
High Crit chance
High ROF (Grekata, Braton)
Flamethrowers

What I've figured so far -
Bows or Sniper Rifles - Hunter Munitions, focusing on High-Crit chance/damage enhancing mods.
Shotguns - Try to squeeze as much raw damage through multishot and elemental mods

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if a gun has decent base crit, stack crit. if a gun has decent base status, stack status. if a gun has both, do either or a mix, depending on your preference. if it has neither, go for straight damage including elements.

while sniper rifles and bows are mostly high crit, there are also plenty of full auto crit guns too so it's not such a strict category. shotguns should only be modded for status if you can hit 100% status chance before multishot, due to wonky de math. if you aren't going for status, just do whatever because most shotguns are really good and it's hard to screw them up.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Hunter's Munitions requires a high crit weapon, which is why it won't do great on a Hek which has a pretty low base chance (10%?).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Inzombiac posted:

Except a Forma, right? :ohdear:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

wid posted:

Miter has not been the worst junk ever since the previous balance pass. I have a Pantera with a riven and it could do sorties fine. Very ammo efficient, hits like a truck. Miter is also at least a decent weapon. A lot of previous junk are now viable, especially ones locked at higher MR. Low tier crap like Lato is still poo poo though and no riven can make it sortie tier.

The Lato Vandal, however, is surprisingly good. I have one with a +crit/+multishot Riven and it's basically a rapid-firing semi-auto sniper shotgun that murders anything that moves.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

endlessmonotony posted:

Except a Forma, right? :ohdear:

OH GEEZ!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That Gobbo posted:

Hunter's Munitions requires a high crit weapon, which is why it won't do great on a Hek which has a pretty low base chance (10%?).
Worth clarifying (having come from a Borderlands background where 10% crit is good) that with crit & status, 10% or below is bad, 15% is acceptable, and 20% is where it starts to get good.

There are exceptions like full auto weapons and daggers, which (due to their high RoF) generally have proportionally lower crit scores, but it's made up for by the amount of shots, and therefore the amount of chances it has to proc.

McKilligan posted:

Could someone explain briefly how different weapons should be modded differently?
Most weapons will have a proportional split of either high status or high crit, and a few which have decent scores in both.

Bearing all of this in mind means that weapon building is an art, and it's one that you learn to feel your way round as you go along. And tweaking and changing builds as you go along then seeing how it changes the gun's feel in game is part of what makes the game fun, at least for me.

My best (practical advice) is that when I look at a weapon, I first look at if it has good crit / bad status or good status / bad crit, and then boost the higher stat. If it's got a good balance of both, that isn't necessarily a good thing, because eventually you won't have enough space to stick all of the mods on there that both stats need to really shine.

As you say there are mods like point strike / serration / hornet strike which are flat damage increases and are a no brainer. Almost always add those. This is why 90% of guns will benefit from at the very least 1 V polarity slot.

In general, anything that gives you multishot is a great choice and I would definititely recommend reading up on that. In short, it increases the amount of pellets for shotguns, so is a flat damage increase as well as an extra chance for status / crit to proc.

In non-shotgun weapons though, it has the amazing effect of causing a duplicate 'hit' in exactly the same spot. No spread, no variation in aim. Imagine it as another bullet that travels 'on top' of the other bullet, hitting at the exact same time as the other bullet.

The % chance is the chance of this second hit occurring, so a 60% multishot mod like Vigitante Armaments gives you a ³/5 chance of an extra bullet. Split chamber is 90% i think, and Hell's chamber is (I think) 120%, which means it has a 100% chance of spawning double pellets, with a 20% chance of triple pellets.

Again, more hits per shot means more chances that crit / status will proc. In slow firing weapons like snipers it means two huge chunks of damage. In rapid fire weapons you effectively double the amount of boolets. Is good.

As for hunter munitions, it has three situational uses:

Firstly, it's useful to add an extra chance for a bleed proc on good/high crit, rapid fire weapons with higher slash damage like Braton Prime. Because the chance of the slash bleed is based off crit and not status, it means low status guns can still make things bleed, and bleed is good because it ignores armour and shield.

Secondly, it can be used to add physical slash damage to elemental only weapons like Artax, which is great because it gives the weapon a little extra flexibility against enemy resistances and sorties where enemy elemental resistance is raised.

Third, you can use it to max out your Hunter set and make your pet do silly amounts of damage to anything that's bleeding.

Finally the best advice I got for weapon building in general was to leave one slot for a Quality of Life mod. So if you love the gun but it reloads like a pig, add Fast Hands. If it's a bow, add fire rate / shred. If it has a low mag, boost that. If it's Vectis, add charged chamber.

Also this was not brief, so I apologise.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 10, 2018

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
That's a great write up - thanks from me. Does multishot affect ammo attrition? I've never been sure whether the extra bullets just magically spawn or are drawn from your reserve.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Flopstick posted:

That's a great write up - thanks from me. Does multishot affect ammo attrition? I've never been sure whether the extra bullets just magically spawn or are drawn from your reserve.

They're space magic, doesn't get taken from the magazine or reserves.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Flopstick posted:

Extra magic bullets. Multishot was originally intended to consume additional ammo, but DE messed something up and it didn't and players liked it so they decided to leave it as it was.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

On melee, you get a lot of mods that take advantage of the the weapon type. Stat weapons benefit from Healing Return (heals whenever you hit an enemy that has a status effect) and Condition Overload (bonus damage for each status effect the enemy is suffering), while crit weapons benefit more from Blood Rush (bonus crit chance based on your combo) and Berserker (attack speed buff whenever you crit).

A stat weapon with a 15% base crit chance could probably work a hybrid build with a decent riven, but that probably runs into diminishing returns.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Stat weapons benefit from Healing Return (heals whenever you hit an enemy that has a status effect)
More accurately, it heals x health for each status. So when you have a fast weapon with blast, corrosive, slash and puncture procs and 9 healing per status, that's 36 health you get back per hit. And that's assuming you haven't used primary or secondary weapons to apply different elements, or that teammates with different loadouts haven't shot at your target yet either.

Healing return is just silly with Inaros, it lets you run round with a +status Zaw knife getting healing from both your 1 and healing return. Which in turn makes your pet functionally invincible, since they they benefit from +melee lifesteal and you're always meleeing. And since Inaros only has health, he really benefits from the hunter mod that gives you energy every time your health is damaged. Which means Hunter munitions will work really well on his primary, and has further synergy for your pet. So you end up in a situation where you're getting so much health back it's almost impossible to die, and the more you paint status on things the more damage your equally unkillable pet does.

This is how you turn a solid build into a great build, by spotting the synergy between mods and effects and working with it. To me this is half the fun of warframe, the 'oh poo poo this is amazing' moment when the stars align and you spot a way of combining stuff and then test it in game.

I still don't have condition overload but now that you describe it boy loving howdy do I have weapons that need it. It seems like it'd be the icing on the Inaros cake above.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Astilla - is hybrid build a good option for this gun? It has decent base crit and stat but from what I can tell it's like the Arca in that you don't need to worry about hitting 100% stat?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because it is a slug shotgun, yes. It effectively is a semi-auto rifle that uses shotgun mods, there is no need to try and hit 100% status before multishot like you would with other shotguns.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Astilla - is hybrid build a good option for this gun? It has decent base crit and stat but from what I can tell it's like the Arca in that you don't need to worry about hitting 100% stat?

The Astilla is only a shotgun in name, think of it as a grenade launcher.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all of the glass-themed weapons that came out with gara are great as hell, by the way. i think the volnus is still the fastest hammer in the game, even with zaws, and can be built well for slash. the throwing knives also put out quite a bit of damage.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Zaw beats it by 0.05 but still, it's an insanely fast slash hammer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Johnny Joestar posted:

all of the glass-themed weapons that came out with gara are great as hell, by the way. i think the volnus is still the fastest hammer in the game, even with zaws, and can be built well for slash. the throwing knives also put out quite a bit of damage.

The glass shotgun thing is wild. It does a small aoe on impact.
Not top tier but it's never bad to take it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

I really love the Volnus, though I adore nearly all hammers in this game. the Arca hammer with it's big thunderslam, the Jet making things explode, and Fragor Prime just pulping things. Volnus + a Fury and Berserker can be hilarious, especially when a nearby Volt turns you into a cuisinart on crack.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Inzombiac posted:

Not top tier.

Astilla is probably one of the best weapons in the game. It's a loving monster.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edmond Dantes posted:

Astilla is probably one of the best weapons in the game. It's a loving monster.

Is it? I mastered it but didn't dig really far into a build.

But that's good to know. It looks cool and has a fun effect.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

More accurately, it heals x health for each status. So when you have a fast weapon with blast, corrosive, slash and puncture procs and 9 healing per status, that's 36 health you get back per hit. And that's assuming you haven't used primary or secondary weapons to apply different elements, or that teammates with different loadouts haven't shot at your target yet either.

Healing return is just silly with Inaros, it lets you run round with a +status Zaw knife getting healing from both your 1 and healing return. Which in turn makes your pet functionally invincible, since they they benefit from +melee lifesteal and you're always meleeing. And since Inaros only has health, he really benefits from the hunter mod that gives you energy every time your health is damaged. Which means Hunter munitions will work really well on his primary, and has further synergy for your pet. So you end up in a situation where you're getting so much health back it's almost impossible to die, and the more you paint status on things the more damage your equally unkillable pet does.

This is how you turn a solid build into a great build, by spotting the synergy between mods and effects and working with it. To me this is half the fun of warframe, the 'oh poo poo this is amazing' moment when the stars align and you spot a way of combining stuff and then test it in game.

I still don't have condition overload but now that you describe it boy loving howdy do I have weapons that need it. It seems like it'd be the icing on the Inaros cake above.

I don't really use Healing Return with him since he's got so many self-heals already. On Valkyr I do since it cuts down on the time I spend in Hysteria.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/955023-developer-workshop-saryn-revisited-20/

Well this is going to be at least interesting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So Saryn, queen of toxic murder, becomes even more powerful.

I love it. Infinate spores!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got an Oberon cooking and a Rhino and Mag ready to go. How should I be modding them? What are the dump stats, what are the must-haves, and why?

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Prepare for those spores to not proc viral and do 3 dmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just reforma'd a bunch of stuff for my Saryn, especially a melee weapon. Guess I'll see how this rework shakes things up.