Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Awh I'm getting all teary eyed, farewell Taco birb... Thanks for sharing her with us, GSC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Taco :( :love:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Farewell, Taco. Thanks for going back and getting those pictures for us. I bet it was hard going through those memories, but the pictures clearly show a happy bird.

Not all birds are so lucky.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Mizuti posted:

Farewell, Taco. Thanks for going back and getting those pictures for us. I bet it was hard going through those memories, but the pictures clearly show a happy bird.

Not all birds are so lucky.

goffins.jpg

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Farewell, Taco. :smith:
~~~~~~~~~~~
So, based on this thread, I have kickstarted one thing in my entire life, and it just arrived. It's a plushie of the first dinosaur ever found to have feathers. It's super well done and I love it! Pictures to follow!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WrenP-Complete posted:

Farewell, Taco. :smith:
~~~~~~~~~~~
So, based on this thread, I have kickstarted one thing in my entire life, and it just arrived. It's a plushie of the first dinosaur ever found to have feathers. It's super well done and I love it! Pictures to follow!

I see someone else got their archaeopteryx!!!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mizuti posted:

Two small birds are busy setting up a nest in a nest box. A third, larger bird insists on trying to help out, but the hole is too small for him to enter. This breaks his brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04x07tLyRo8

Cross quoting because I love this video, it reminds me of a sibling interrupting a date so much

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So my chicken coop was robbed by :tbear:

Tuesday morning we awoke to find that something had knocked over the plastic trash can full of chicken feed next to the coop, and dragged the bin over some fallen trees into the woods. No tracks, but obviously a :tbear:

So I bought a bag of feed on the way home from my dentist appointment, recovered the bin, refilled it, and left the chickens out. The :tbear: came back and stole the bin again, in broad daylight, while I was sitting in the den. It didn't care about the chickens at all. I didn't realize it was still around when I ran out to the coop, and I spooked it, so I caught sight of a :tbear: cub running off into the woods. Later that night, it came back...with what appeared to be its mother! Two :tbear:s. A veritable :byobear:! My wife and I threw rocks at them until they hosed off.

I called the game warden and they said they don't care. Also, you're allowed to kill pretty much any animal if it's actually attacking your animals, unless it's a :tbear:. In that case he advised me to throw a rock at it or shoot it with a paintball gun.

Anyway.

Don't be fooled they love this

Nemo take two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_4S2QVgHA

Phobos is...a rooster. This is the usual result of him being a rooster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyzxpWvTDc

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Taco. :(

Feeling misty-eyed. Feels like there's that pre-crying lump in my throat. Poor bird, good bird, happy bird.

Halloween Jack posted:

:tbear:

Bears are the worst! Glad they left your chickens alone. Have fun devising ways to spook them, get some strobe lights and airhorns. Watch those poo poo heads run.

My brothers all like "I like bears be nice" but I just really REALLY want to lob a balloon filled with hot sauce in a cheeky bear's face.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 9, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Was this also Taco? This picture never ceases to make me just chortle at the look of startled semi-offense at something being the same color:

Shirec posted:

Cross quoting because I love this video, it reminds me of a sibling interrupting a date so much
How the hell do cockatiels survive in the wild

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

How the hell do cockatiels survive in the wild
Sheer numbers + random variance from just enough intelligence to either do brilliant, stupid, or brilliantly-stupid things.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kenshin posted:

Sheer numbers + random variance from just enough intelligence to either do brilliant, stupid, or brilliantly-stupid things.

My cockatiel is learning how to open her water door, which is in a part of the cage she doesn't frequent.

Her food door is the same mechanism and she seems clueless.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

Was this also Taco? This picture never ceases to make me just chortle at the look of startled semi-offense at something being the same color:

Yes! I tried to give her a mango candy and she wasn't having any of it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Cockatiels seem far more bold, focused, and effective in groups. I think their brains don't work right when they're in tiny groups or alone. It's like their minds get snagged on small problems and they have issues moving on from them. They definitely have an easier time making decisions when there's several other friendly cockatiels around. There isn't a lot of footage of wild cockatiels out there, but those don't seem nearly as :derptiel:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwN_1Fdonco

Here's four pet cockatiels roaming around in a coordinated pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwVb1nLPBkA

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

Yes! I tried to give her a mango candy and she wasn't having any of it.
I love it, I saved it in my bird picture folder. "Jesus Christ, what did you do to that other bird!"

Mizuti posted:

This is hands down one of my favorite youtube videos

doop doop doop just trundling around doop doop doop

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tendai posted:

This is hands down one of my favorite youtube videos

doop doop doop just trundling around doop doop doop

Agreed. Seeing the hivemind at work "THIS WAY!" *doop doop doop* "now we're going this way!" *doop doop doop*

And then the one cranky one on the playpen

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mizuti posted:

flock instinct is a helluva drug

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Checks thread after work

Good thing I didn't have plans because I'm gonna spend a bit being sad

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eejit posted:

Checks thread after work

Good thing I didn't have plans because I'm gonna spend a bit being sad

:unsmith:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

As far as I'm concerned, Tuesdays can still be for Taco. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts, GSC.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

Cockatiels seem far more bold, focused, and effective in groups. I think their brains don't work right when they're in tiny groups or alone. It's like their minds get snagged on small problems and they have issues moving on from them. They definitely have an easier time making decisions when there's several other friendly cockatiels around. There isn't a lot of footage of wild cockatiels out there, but those don't seem nearly as :derptiel:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwN_1Fdonco

My theory is pet cockatiels are derpy because out of the millions of wild cockatiels they’re descended from the ones dumb enough to get caught.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Does anyone here have a bird and a dog? If so, what type of bird and dog and how do they get along?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
First up: Never ever ever have a dog (or cat) in the same room as a birb out of the cage, and never leave a dog unattended in the room with a caged bird.

Some dogs will naturally be more chill and less likely to deliberately or accidentally murder a bird. For example, retrievers are very "soft mouthed" and, especially if trained well, will be lovely and delightful around small fragile things. They have been bred to pick up dead or injured birds and carry them to their human friend while not getting any teeth marks on them, and to be chill and sit around being quiet and still otherwise. Even pet retrievers from backyard breeders are more likely to retain those qualities than other breeds. Terriers, on the other hand, have been bred to GO FAST and murder small animals including birds and rodents AS FAST AS POSSIBLE and even a well trained terrier will accidentally murder a small pet bird or rat on occasion if it gets excited.

Birds are VERY fragile and dogs LOVE to play by chewing, wrestling, and shaking things. A Good Dogge who doesn't mean to do any harm can do serious injury to or even kill a bird very easily just by playing.

I would personally never ever let a doggo, even a Very Good Dogge, in the same room as a bird. Ultimately it's your choice though and make sure you know both the individual and the breed and its habits really really REALLY well before considering having them in the same room together.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 10, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Source: I have had innocent pet rats as a babby that got murdered by lovely gentle pet border terrier, and relatives who have had birds who got injured in their cages by lovely dogs trying to sniff at them and knocking the cage over/otherwise injuring them without being able to get into the cage themselves.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

^^^

100% Agree. My family lost a beloved budgie to a good dog. It's a point of friction with my wife who wants a dog and I am hesitant to have one living with us and the birds.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Beelerzebub posted:

Does anyone here have a bird and a dog? If so, what type of bird and dog and how do they get along?

My mums dog Kabuki is the most gentle, loving, kind dog you have ever met. My mums dog Kabuki killed my dads bird Floyd by grabbing his leg and pulling him through the cage bars when she got onto the deck one day. Don't risk it. Keep them seperate always.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Just wanted to re-iterate - Taco was a Very Good Birb.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Beelerzebub posted:

I have a cockatiel and a greyhound.

Greyhounds have been bred for centuries to see something moving fast, catch it, and (probably) kill it. Cockatiels are bananas with hyperactivity who have a tendency to flap if A Problem presents itself.

Even though my dog is 90% of the time a couch potato who doesn't want to do anything, I will never ever have the cockatiel out of the cage in the same room as the dog. And even though the dog has been conditioned to not go near the bird's cage, one time when I went to the bathroom with the door shut, the dog decided she wanted to say hello/sniff the bird and Birdie got a bit spooked. So now I don't leave them in the same room together when I'm not there even if the bird is caged.

So this is pretty much repeating Crows, but: it depends on the dog and the bird, most dogs will probably be able to easily kill or mortally wound a bird even if it's accidental, and IMO it's just not worth the risk.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 10, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
taco was a very good bird :(

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:unsmith:

thanks for the kind words goons

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
RIP Taco. You were a good bird :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

Our tiny dog knocked down a cage hanging from the ceiling, and killed and ate our parakeet when I was three. :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Shark Sandwich posted:

I see someone else got their archaeopteryx!!!

Sorry for double post.

PS - Yes, I keep my Canadian Tire money with my toonies.

PPS - Yes, there's a children's drawn cardinal on my shelf telling me to have a safe flight. (She was like "get it? flight and flight! :j:)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxUDr3OKXs

Shaky video of my friend Jim, he and his mate Rosie are nesting right by the duck pond on my walk to work. Most of the other ringnecks prefer to be higher up in the trees but these two are brave. No sound of babbies inside their nesty hole yet, but I'm hopeful :unsmith:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The noble cockatiel, truly a majestic and dignified b-

https://twitter.com/TORI_mirea/status/994593010653384704?s=19

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Tired 'tiel thursdays?

Tuckered out Tito

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hhahaha that nose fluff!

Is there a bigger fool's errand than trying to clear fuzz off a bird beak?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

yes

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

redgubbinz posted:

The noble cockatiel, truly a majestic and dignified b-