Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Seems appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How loving scared do you think that dog is.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

How loving scared do you think that dog is.

he's with his buddy, he's fine

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I feel like if there was a vacuum cleaner that the loadmaster could turn on, the dog would be completely fine with jumping out the back of the plane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume this is because the margins are higher on illegal arms

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/994333257255784448?s=19

Hell yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VASUDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Israel apparently attacked Iranian positions in Syria again yesterday. This may have something to do with it.

https://apnews.com/8405081e40da48d596b5e50c5cad60ec/Netanyahu-meets-Putin-amid-new-round-of-Syria-strikes

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My body is ready

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

VASUDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

lol

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i don't know nothin

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Remember how, during the 2000s, it was painfully obvious that the gutting of centuries' worth of experience from the nation's intelligence services in the "Peace Dividend" cutbacks was biting us in the rear end?

We're doing the same thing to the diplomatic agencies. And the IC is still years from recovering from the 1990s.

This is not good, DR. It will take more than a generation to recover from, if it's even possible.
There seem to be a bunch of parallel arguments going on here. Yeah, the brain drain from executive branch departments is bad, really bad, but it's a separate issue from arguing about damage to America's international standing and political capital. Hollowing out our institutions is a giant problem on all levels, but a different one than saying that no one will want to deal with us again because we let Trump be in charge for several years.

The point is, dude. People are seriously saying 'we can't rely on America anymore.' You have loving FRANCE now looking at bypassing the US economically and disregarding your sanctions. Your political capital is long since spent. If you seriously think electing Obama 2.0 is going to fix all of this, I dunno what to tell you. If - and it's looking like less of an if every day - you have the EU acting in open defiance of US sanctions, America is pretty much done as far as soft power goes. Sure, you still have the bigliest military, but once your economy starts to slide, well...

I realise you are in the USA and aren't really aware of the rest of the world, but people are absolutely terrified of Trump, because no one has any idea what to expect from him. This is about as bad a position as anyone can expect from the world leader. Bush was bad and everyone hated him, but he was regular bad, not 'he might push the button just because he's having a tantrum.'
Let me put it this way: if the Brits did a hard 180 on Brexit, the rest of the European community would welcome them back because it turns out no one in government actually wants that poo poo aside from a handful of people who stand to make a ton of money. Having Britain in the EU is a net good for the EU, so they are going to be willing to overlook the bit where older UK voters went a bit nuts and voted for something stupid.

The national interests that bind Canada/Australia/UK/NATO and even Kiwiland to the United States haven't changed. If we put Pence or Hillary or whatever other establishment figure slithers across the finish line in charge, and go back to Original Recipe American Evil, everyone is going to want to get back in bed with us. We are the devil you know, and your interests are more closely aligned with ours than the Russians or the Chinese. It's possible that someone might do the hard work of standing up a western, democratic pole of world power that doesn't include the United States, but so far no one seems inclined or able to do it.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 9, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And then we elected an actual idiot because her emails racism economic anxiety and said idiot is destroying anything good done since W out of spite.

What nation in its right mind would take us seriously when we have a track record of collectively losing our minds and putting our worst people in charge?

Bush was also an idiot.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dead Reckoning posted:

There seem to be a bunch of parallel arguments going on here. Yeah, the brain drain from executive branch departments is bad, really bad, but it's a separate issue from arguing about damage to America's international standing and political capital. Hollowing out our institutions is a giant problem on all levels, but a different one than saying that no one will want to deal with us again because we let Trump be in charge for several years.

How do you not see a connection between the decline of American standing throughout the world and the destruction of the department that directly deals with the rest of the world?

I knew you were dumb, but jesus gently caress.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dance Officer posted:

Bush was also an idiot.

Oh ok you’re right totally the same, random anonymous rereg.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Trump is a different, worse animal, but the rhetoric is remarkably similar.

McNally posted:

How do you not see a connection between the decline of American standing throughout the world and the destruction of the department that directly deals with the rest of the world?

I knew you were dumb, but jesus gently caress.
We didn't pull out of the Iran nuclear deal, which is what precipitated this "America's standing in the eyes of the world is forever tarnished" discussion, because the state department is understaffed and poorly run. We did it because Trump is a moron and so is Bolton.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dead Reckoning posted:

We didn't pull out of the Iran nuclear deal, which is what precipitated this "America's standing in the eyes of the world is forever tarnished" discussion, because the state department is understaffed and poorly run. We did it because Trump is a moron and so is Bolton.

It may have precipitated this particular discussion, but people have been bringing up the decline of American standing in this thread for the past like year.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am ok with america being in decline and having the public face it deserves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

that might have been how you read it, but if you see this as anything but a symptom of the greater problems america is facing, you're dead reckoning

yeah, i brought it up because i was staggered by just how loving dumb trump was to do it, but the fact that HE WAS ALLOWED TO DO IT says it's a systemic issue not a governance one

USA!! USA!! USA!!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/994344453216358400

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/994348263041060864

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
e: nevermind

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nunes is such a loving turdburglar.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Low-grade war getting incrementally shootier.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Caufman posted:

Low-grade war getting incrementally shootier.

Is our dick already in this one or are we waiting on a Gulf of Tonkin incident?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Anything anywhere about casualties?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Steezo posted:

Definitely waiting on Israel to find that casus belli.

Nuclear War posted:

Anything anywhere about casualties?

Currently at zero, if I recall correctly.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Office Pig posted:

Currently at zero, if I recall correctly.

Thank God. I mean, the Israelis may be wee bit more accepting of casualties than most Western nations but surely if they'd lost someone that'd make poo poo more likely to go down.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Steezo posted:

In Syria? Yeah, our dick is already in. Israel's and Iran's were too, and Israel had previously been fingering the outside of Iran's starfish, but now they've jammed three knuckles in there, and Iran isn't liking it one bit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This is pretty big and while I wouldn't be half surprised if this is an Iranian retaliation, never believe early reports of war until there's been a day's fighting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nevermind

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 10, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man Cohen was the Deputy Finance chair of the RNC while doing all this crazy poo poo and taking bribes and consorting with Russians....I wonder if this thread pulling by Mueller will pull the entire Republican Parties financials down and show they are funded by massive amounts of Russian money

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/994293363846336513

this is cool def not something we need lol

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2018

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Man when does avenatti sleep

Or go to court

Dude lives at msnbc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Man when does avenatti sleep

Or go to court

Dude lives at msnbc

The NDA lawsuit/defamation suit against cohen is pending depending on how many charges get filed against him by the FBI in NY. The defamation suit against trump is pending the same, iirc. All the tv appearances and such are just building his case in the media since trump and crew’s MO is to try to control the narrative first and foremost. He’s pushing all this because he wants Cohen and Trump to just settle so he and stormy can get loving paid on the media circuit, books, videos, etc.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

He's doing a fantastic job

Dude was on morning Joe this morning, just did 30 min with Maddow and goes on lawrence at least 3 times a week

Hes committed as gently caress

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The NDA lawsuit/defamation suit against cohen is pending depending on how many charges get filed against him by the FBI in NY. The defamation suit against trump is pending the same, iirc. All the tv appearances and such are just building his case in the media since trump and crew’s MO is to try to control the narrative first and foremost. He’s pushing all this because he wants Cohen and Trump to just settle so he and stormy can get loving paid on the media circuit, books, videos, etc.

Or he wants to take down a sitting US president.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

also going after the president in court is always going to be political so winning the court of public opinion is going to help maybe not his case, but i dunno prevent him from trying any bullshit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's making sure it draws more attention when he mysteriously ends up with radiation poisoning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Waroduce posted:

Man Cohen was the Deputy Finance chair of the RNC while doing all this crazy poo poo and taking bribes and consorting with Russians....I wonder if this thread pulling by Mueller will pull the entire Republican Parties financials down and show they are funded by massive amounts of Russian money

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/994293363846336513

this is cool def not something we need lol

How the gently caress do you justify this when we are getting hammered by the Russians and Chinese....Oh.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

I swear I've seen articles about that joke of an exercise 'Milennium Challenge' posted like five times on facebook, and at least a couple on this forum to 'prove' how the US or Israel can't beat the Iranian military. Man do people misunderstand how exercises like that work, and what a tool that marine (?) general was being about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Nuclear War posted:

I swear I've seen articles about that joke of an exercise 'Milennium Challenge' posted like five times on facebook, and at least a couple on this forum to 'prove' how the US or Israel can't beat the Iranian military. Man do people misunderstand how exercises like that work, and what a tool that marine (?) general was being about it.

Good, let them think that Iran would win. Maybe then we won't pull our dick from the bee's nest and jam it ball's deep into the hornet's nest.

:lol:

Like we wouldn't just alternate nests like some indecisive John testing the goods forever back and forth.

• Locked thread