Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Molto grazie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'll second that Fellowship works very well if you're wanting a fantasy Apocalypse World-type game that's come out since people got a better handle on how to make PbtA games.

It's worth noting that, like any good PbtA game, Fellowship isn't just a generic fantasy adventure RPG system, but designed for a specific type of fantasy adventure: one where a multicultural group of heroes oppose an evil overlord in an ultimately optimistic setting. You'd have to stretch and bend it quite a bit to make it work for something with a different tone or focus. But if what you want is something that captures the feeling of optimistic fantasy adventure stories (anything from Lord of the Rings to Avatar: The Last Airbender) Fellowship is gonna hit you juuuuuust right.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 8, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, which DnD are we talking about right now? :v:

The version of D&D with all the free sex parties that they used to draw us into Satanism.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

LuiCypher posted:

The version of D&D with all the free sex parties that they used to draw us into Satanism.

So- Adventurer's League?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Inspired by "true" events, here's a sample monster statblock for my D&D-alike, The Next Project.

I figured one or more goons would appreciate this, so I posted it here. Generally, I keep all the ~*exclusive*~ inside info/teasers to the TNP Discord, so jump in there if you want to keep up with the project.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LuiCypher posted:

drat I started playing in the wrong edition

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There's an old Legacy wagon that parks at my work with a Starfleet sticker and a handmade QANON sign in the back window. I didn't know what QANON was and now I'm really confused by what this dude believes in.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

cheetah7071 posted:

drat I started playing in the wrong edition

I know, right? About to call up all my old friends from high school to complain about us not having the wild free sex parties that the police said we did.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Has anyone played Torchbearer? I'm after a fantasy-vietnam rpg, and TB looks perfect for the job. Anything I should be aware of?

Plan at the moment is to run a one-shot to test out the system (and/or kill pregens like flies) and see how it suits the group.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lofi posted:

Has anyone played Torchbearer? I'm after a fantasy-vietnam rpg, and TB looks perfect for the job. Anything I should be aware of?

Plan at the moment is to run a one-shot to test out the system (and/or kill pregens like flies) and see how it suits the group.

Haven't played it, but my impression is that it is very heavy on resource management, especially supplies.

Not so sure it would give that Vietnam War type feeling.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

lofi posted:

I love Torchbearer.

It does exactly what it says it will do, which is you'll tell a player they twisted their ankle and o yeah they're thirsty. O also you need to light another torch. Then your players will ask if everything is okay at home. And you'll laugh.

If you want gritty gently caress-you-dungeoneering-sucks as like the opposite of D&D 4e, Torchbearer is like the platonic ideal with a good combo of crunch vs narrative stuff. If you want anything else it is not that game. It is laser focused on its genre.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

lofi posted:

You might want to take a look at the setting Quelong by Kenneth Hite.

http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2014/01/qelong-review.html

Fair warning. Though it is published under Lamentations of the Flame Princess the setting is easily adaptable for and D&D alike (including Torchbearer).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

lofi posted:

Torchbearer is fantastic. It's D&D through a punk rock lens: you're an adventurer because you're a loving nobody from loving nowhere and the only hope you have of not living a life of near-starvation until you die of some disease in your middle age is to set out to maybe make something of yourself or die trying.

Read the book. Not skim. Read it. Run a conflict round on your own to understand how it works before you try to teach it to people. Follow the rules closely (especially timekeeping and checks) and, if your players are a little smart, a little lucky, and very determined, they might just come out alive.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I second everything mentioned by Xiahou Dun and Zurui, with particular emphasis on "it is laser-focused on its genre" and "read the book."

One consideration with introducing Torchbearer to a new group is which scenario to use: Three Squires, or Dread Crypt of Skogenby. Three Squires is longer (it's quite difficult to complete in one session aside from a TPK, although those are pretty easy), but it teaches the game in a slightly more forgiving way. Dread Crypt is the perfect length for a one-shot, but it's deceptively vicious. The very first fight against some moldering skeletons can absolutely wipe the party (something the module explicitly warns you about), but the players should be understanding about that if their expectations have been properly calibrated. What they might not expect is that the larger lesson Dread Crypt is trying to teach is that Torchbearer is a game about information and clever puzzle-solving as much as it is about resource optimization. Spoilers for those who haven't played it yet, but might:

The Crypt is composed of several small rooms, each of which provides an advantage against the boss of the dungeon: a ghost queen who will handily wipe the floor with the PCs if they come at her unprepared. Parties that take their time to explore and understand the crypt's contents will have a noticeable edge against her. More commonly, however, players will simply give each room a quick once-over for valuables, maybe look for hidden treasure, then leave - and get loving demolished by an angry ghost a couple rooms later.

That route to a TPK is, for some groups, entirely unexpected and jarring. They won't even understand why they got wrecked at first. The module is making demands of them that they aren't used to from a tabletop game, and whether that provokes frustration or a satori moment varies widely. Personally, I love it, but use whichever module you think your group will respond to best.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kestral posted:

That route to a TPK is, for some groups, entirely unexpected and jarring. They won't even understand why they got wrecked at first. The module is making demands of them that they aren't used to from a tabletop game, and whether that provokes frustration or a satori moment varies widely. Personally, I love it, but use whichever module you think your group will respond to best.

When you put it that way, it sounds like those old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks where not finding the right set of items or clues throughout the book could screw you over even if you got to the end alive.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

Torchbearer is fantastic. It's D&D through a punk rock lens: you're an adventurer because you're a loving nobody from loving nowhere and the only hope you have of not living a life of near-starvation until you die of some disease in your middle age is to set out to maybe make something of yourself or die trying.

Read the book. Not skim. Read it. Run a conflict round on your own to understand how it works before you try to teach it to people. Follow the rules closely (especially timekeeping and checks) and, if your players are a little smart, a little lucky, and very determined, they might just come out alive.
it's LotR but darker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

it's LotR but darker.

And that's why you need to light torches

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing I like best about Torchbearer is that it reintroduces the logistics that were gradually discarded from D&D, but it makes them fun and manageable by making them abstract. Like, instead of drawing a map, you just list places you've been, and use the mapping skill to retrace your steps. Time is measured in phases and turns instead of actual minutes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You've sold me on it even more. :)

I've always enjoyed street-level games most, there's something about "your quest reward is eating tonight and maybe a new shield" that appeals immensely.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So say I was going to run an event at my local RPG gameday with the following theme:

It's Rick and Morty-themed. Basically, everyone is playing a Rick with some narrow specialty/personality quirk to differentiate themselves from all of the other Ricks. I'm not 100% certain what the mission is supposed to be yet, I can probably just throw some poo poo at a random table and see what sticks.

The catch is - around the end of the session, I reveal that none of them are Ricks. They're all just Jerrys pretending to be Rick (something something metaphor for the fanbase). Everything they've done has been in the confines of the Jerry daycare, with the people they 'kill' (even if they vaporize them) just acting out the part to help the Jerrys feel comfortable and important while their Ricks and Mortys are out. Any attempts to cause harm to the Ricks when they finally show up at the end will fail hilariously thanks to GM Fiat, although they might be able to do something that will make Beth complain to their Rick (e.g., ruin Jerry's clothes, have him contract Space Chlyamidia)

In that sense, I could theme the overall 'missions' around what the Jerrys are trying to do in the Mortynight Run episode. i.e., they're supposed to find an obscure part to repair an alien superweapon in order to turn it on and seize it for the Council of Ricks/themselves. What they're really doing is replacing the TV tuning knob for the TV in the common area so that they can adjust the picture.

My major question is: What system should I use?

Yes, I know we have a thread for it, but TG Chat is generally more active.

I was thinking of the following systems:
- Fiasco (although I've never played/run it)
- Paranoia XP (because life is cheap and they should be betraying each other left and right)

I fully expect/want the table to hate me by the end of the session, especially if they sign up thinking that they're actually playing Rick.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

. . .

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

So say I was going to run an event at my local RPG gameday with the following theme:

It's Rick and Morty-themed. Basically, everyone is playing a Rick with some narrow specialty/personality quirk to differentiate themselves from all of the other Ricks. I'm not 100% certain what the mission is supposed to be yet, I can probably just throw some poo poo at a random table and see what sticks.

The catch is - around the end of the session, I reveal that none of them are Ricks. They're all just Jerrys pretending to be Rick (something something metaphor for the fanbase). Everything they've done has been in the confines of the Jerry daycare, with the people they 'kill' (even if they vaporize them) just acting out the part to help the Jerrys feel comfortable and important while their Ricks and Mortys are out. Any attempts to cause harm to the Ricks when they finally show up at the end will fail hilariously thanks to GM Fiat, although they might be able to do something that will make Beth complain to their Rick (e.g., ruin Jerry's clothes, have him contract Space Chlyamidia)

In that sense, I could theme the overall 'missions' around what the Jerrys are trying to do in the Mortynight Run episode. i.e., they're supposed to find an obscure part to repair an alien superweapon in order to turn it on and seize it for the Council of Ricks/themselves. What they're really doing is replacing the TV tuning knob for the TV in the common area so that they can adjust the picture.

- Paranoia XP (because life is cheap and they should be betraying each other left and right)

I fully expect/want the table to hate me by the end of the session, especially if they sign up thinking that they're actually playing Rick.

The Spawn of Fashan

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Paranoia sounds fine

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

remusclaw posted:

The Spawn of Fashan

What the gently caress

What the gently caress is that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

This will end well.

Zephirum posted:

Paranoia sounds fine
OK now I mean it unironically.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

LuiCypher posted:

Fiasco. There's a third party playset about all the players being different versions of the same character called "All The drat Time" that you could use for inspiration.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

LuiCypher posted:

Any attempts to cause harm to the Ricks when they finally show up at the end will fail hilariously thanks to GM Fiat, although they might be able to do something that will make Beth complain to their Rick (e.g., ruin Jerry's clothes, have him contract Space Chlyamidia)

:stonk:

Please tell us how it goes.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

lofi posted:

:stonk:

Please tell us how it goes.

Yeah, I want to see an after action report.

Is this going to be for some die hard Rick and Morty fans?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DocBubonic posted:

Yeah, I want to see an after action report.

Is this going to be for some die hard Rick and Morty fans?

I mean, it will be even better if they are and sign up thinking they're actually going to get to roleplay Rick. The more misanthropic and all-powerful they feel before they have the rug pulled out from under them the better. But even if they're not - it's Paranoia, so as long as they're on board with 'sabotage everything' it should go pretty alright.

I might introduce the twist a little before the end. That is, only one Rick shows up and he forgot his claim check. Which one of the Jerrys is going to get to go home? The players will have to have a Jerry deathmatch figure that one out.

I do intend to drop a few clues here and there that maybe things aren't what they seem. Probably the most obvious one will be an NPC who only snaps his fingers and says "My man!".

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LuiCypher posted:

I would suggest the Our Last Best Hope hack Our Last Best Dopes, as it's pretty good for Rick and Morty, but that's a GMless system and not up to this swerve.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been going back and reading my old space comics, and it occurred to me that most superhero games have rules for very high-powered, intergalactic campaigns, but not a lot of guidance on how to actually run such a campaign. I like the idea of every character having an origin story and powerset that would make them the most important character in many other settings...I'm thinking of what it would be like to play Miracleman's club of benevolent transhuman despots, the newuniversal protagonists, the heralds of Galactus, the Annihilators...I suppose a lot would hinge on whether the players care about being based on Earth, and transforming world society into something unrecognizable, or just having cosmic adventures in a space opera setting.

I like the idea of running demigodlike, transhuman sci-fi, but I don't know what I'd build a campaign around besides something rather unimaginative like a big ol' war. Then again, there are games out there like Farflung or Sufficiently Advanced that begin with the premise of very powerful spacefarers, I just haven't played any of them. Thoughts?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Today, I had a similar thought in that I thought that would be really cool to run a campaign where you were all just Marvel Asgardians as that makes you weird space gods who actually are God's because of how Marvel cosmology works.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I too want a better written sci-if Exalted.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Moriatti posted:

I too want a better written sci-if Exalted.

Depending on what you like about Exalted - the setting, the power combo building, just the concept of playing superpowerful people - Godbound is pretty good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh, I won't be running anything for a while other than Eberron.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

How is this? My FLGS has a copy, and God knows I like weird poo poo, but the "hired a fetish artist to do most of the internal art" and "poo poo-tons of playbook" elements have made me a little gun-shy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

Masks, if you want to play Young Avengers/Young Justice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

no not really, unless you want to go for a niche like Masks' Teen Titans focus.

I always found Mutants and Masterminds the lowest on the mess scale as long as you already know D20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It seems like from what I've been able to gather, good superhero RPGs are either super mechanically complex, or very narrativist and simple- there's not a lot of middle ground.