Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah shooting anything in the high desert is like that except at dusk. Here's my same shots showing that struggle

Why would you a) shoot this at high ISO and b) filter the poo poo out of the photos you posted.
Why do you want the noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Karl Barks posted:

legit curious why you would shoot a night time long exposure at 12000 iso.
Unless your camera is mounted on a tracking tripod you have just under 30 seconds to get your exposure before star trails start. This is why I would shoot at 12000 ISO anyway, but I'm not OP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bobmarleysghost posted:

Why would you a) shoot this at high ISO and b) filter the poo poo out of the photos you posted.
Why do you want the noise?

That’s at iso 100 and as I said they don’t look nearly as noisy when not compressed on img. I’ll post a 100% crop later on Flickr to show.

InternetJunky posted:

Unless your camera is mounted on a tracking tripod you have just under 30 seconds to get your exposure before star trails start. This is why I would shoot at 12000 ISO anyway, but I'm not OP.

Correct. Lower iso = less nebula being captured.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Barnards Green

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Nelscott Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Wecoma Beach Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s at iso 100 and as I said they don’t look nearly as noisy when not compressed on img. I’ll post a 100% crop later on Flickr to show.

Correct. Lower iso = less nebula being captured.

Here's an ISO 400 Image from an APS-C camera posted on imgur. I don't seem to have a grain problem, but then again I didn't apply a mediocre preset to my image so YMMV

https://imgur.com/N7UzSZN

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Since we all want to critique Bottom Liner's pretty nice photos, I'll say:

Too heavy on the grain.
Warm tones in the canyon walls look good to me on my monitor (factory-set Surface Pro 4)
Some of the bright greens are a little too saturated in the tonemappy, HDR-esque shots. A matter of personal preference on its own, but as a set they look out of place with the more naturalistic daylight shots.

San Antonio by S M, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 8, 2018

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Look, I’m not going to take a shot at a guy for taking some nice holiday snapshots of a place. If you feel good about them, that’s rad, I take heaps of snapshots when I go somewhere nice.

But I guess avoid the compulsion to share them all with us? Find a good one and post that. And if someone offers some brutal crit, roll with it.

Or, you know, throw them all in the Photodump.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why does that feel like a composite to me? Not saying it is one, but the caterpillar and the dude+garbage bin look like they've been pasted in.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ric posted:

Barnards Green
This is really awesome. I wish I could explain why I like this, but I can't.

xzzy posted:

Why does that feel like a composite to me? Not saying it is one, but the caterpillar and the dude+garbage bin look like they've been pasted in.
My first thought as well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Substation 305 (Gardiner) by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Lockhart Avenue Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xzzy posted:

I think the excavator in particular looks unreal because we can't see the shadow it's casting, and the light on it is different than the light on the stuff behind it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think it's the lighting/shadows as well. The shadows projected onto the white sheet and the shadows cast by the bin line up, but the clean patch on the guys shirt who's in the bin makes it look like he's lit differently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah everything lines up, it just looks weird to me. Not necessarily in a bad way, my brain just doesn't process it properly.

That white sheet must be reflecting a ton of light.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Na, it's cool. I'm glad it's interesting at the very least.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Toledo Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Canyonlands. This might be better at a 16:9.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 17, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's Tokyo

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

San Marcos by S M, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ah I wanted to visit that teahouse when I was in Kanazawa but it was closed for that day sadly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That teahouse has a face and I can't unsee it.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2018

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
finally got to try out this samyang 12mm f2 lens on a clear night

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

InternetJunky posted:

This is really awesome. I wish I could explain why I like this, but I can't.
Thanks - liking it is good enough!

Cheltenham

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:goose:

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

DSC_0147 -2 by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

that sure is a dark photo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

RQT-2

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

nice

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 16, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I dig it.