Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m seeing very little in there that actually seems to justify running blue over green. You lose out on some good Green stuff and you aren’t really running enough U or U/W disruption to justify it imo

It's definitely a turn slower, but it grinds a lot better in my testing so far. Invisible stalker makes up for a lot of the loss of rancor, and this deck is much better at drawing cards.

I think the only thing in green that you run in the sb is natures claim, and I do like the spreading seas plan

That said, sideboard is a work in progress as I can definitely try to find room for a countermagic package.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I'm running the local modern league and we just kicked off round 1 last week. we have 32 different archetypes in a 42 person league. Modern is uh, pretty good.

Edit: my dumb teammate even made a bad video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLBX6bzrdA

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Playing in a modern open this weekend.

Should I:

A) Play spirits, my bread and butter deck that I've been playing for a couple years.

Or

B) Play bogles, the deck that I played for two years before switching to spirits, that I am currently playing in a league?

I have experience with both decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Should I:

A) Play spirits, my bread and butter deck that I've been playing for a couple years.

Or

B) Play bogles, the deck that I played for two years before switching to spirits, that I am currently playing in a league?

I guess I'd go Spirits since you have just as much experience with it as Bogles, but your Spirits experience is more recent. Also what happened to Swans my dude.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Should I:

Or

Do you want to have fun and maybe win or have no fun and maybe win?

Dunno seems easy to me but I play for fun even when at GPs

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Do you want to have fun and maybe win or have no fun and maybe win?

Dunno seems easy to me but I play for fun even when at GPs

I usually play for fun. Maybe I'll suit up the curious obsession version of the spirits

C-Euro posted:

I guess I'd go Spirits since you have just as much experience with it as Bogles, but your Spirits experience is more recent. Also what happened to Swans my dude.

Oh I still have swans, I've been testing with a singleton blasphemous act in the main as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Oh I still have swans, I've been testing with a singleton blasphemous act in the main as well.

Yeah if I ever get the chance to play Magic again I'll have Swans completely built by the end of this week save for the SB Glorious End (and really I'm just too lazy to go to the store in town and get a copy out of the bulk binder).

Flash poll for the non-rotating deck-havers: what is your longest-active deck, both currently-active and all-time (even if you've since taken it apart)? I've had some form of Mill built in Modern since I got back into the game in 2013, it's rarely if ever been the best deck in the room but I've had the most success with it, and the most fun even when it's not playing so well. Once or twice a year I contemplate selling off my collection and just keeping that deck and stockpiling other potential Mill cards but then I realize that any competitive events and my own deck ADD require me to have a "real" deck available as well.

After that I had Titan Breach built for almost two years, I kind of regret talking it apart but it got very same-y after a while and stopped putting up results. Oh well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I've had Death and Taxes together since ~September '14 and Bant Spirits together a little after that. Like February '15, I think, or whenever GP Pittsburgh was that year. Every deck I played before then was rendered wildly unplayable in one way or another.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I had a Goryo's Vengeance + Through the Breach deck in Kamigawa Block Constructed, well, actually, I had several, but the fun one that I kept built was Red/Black. When I quit magic in the Ravnica-Time Spiral era I never took the deck apart. When I started playing again I dug up the deck and turned it into a Red/Black Grishoalbrand modern deck. It's not really the same but it's actually decently close, I used to play Blazing Shoal (RIP) and now I get to play Nourishing Shoal.

Does that count?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah if I ever get the chance to play Magic again I'll have Swans completely built by the end of this week save for the SB Glorious End (and really I'm just too lazy to go to the store in town and get a copy out of the bulk binder).

Flash poll for the non-rotating deck-havers: what is your longest-active deck, both currently-active and all-time (even if you've since taken it apart)? I've had some form of Mill built in Modern since I got back into the game in 2013, it's rarely if ever been the best deck in the room but I've had the most success with it, and the most fun even when it's not playing so well. Once or twice a year I contemplate selling off my collection and just keeping that deck and stockpiling other potential Mill cards but then I realize that any competitive events and my own deck ADD require me to have a "real" deck available as well.

After that I had Titan Breach built for almost two years, I kind of regret talking it apart but it got very same-y after a while and stopped putting up results. Oh well.

I had miracles together from 2012?ish til the top banning. I suppose it's still a good deck now. I actually still have it together in it's pre-ban form in a deckbox because I haven't played legacy since.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I haven't really had time to play recently, but Modern Affinity has been my longest running deck since I bought into Modern in 2014.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've had Bogles more or less built since 2015, although I haven't played it in forever. It was my first real modern deck (not counting mill, of course.)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Bogles was the first modern deck I built, but I never bought canopies. I am still thinking of sleeving up the leyline version for tomorrow; having played against the deck a reasonable amount lately, I feel like canopies are only a small percentage hit.

I just bought 3 foil Qasali Ambusher for no good reason. I keep reading the text box, looking at the stats and thinking this ought to be sideboard playable in something, but yea I'm always too optimistic about cats.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

C-Euro posted:

I've had a Mono-G stompy deck in modern since I got back into Magic (sometime during RTR-Theros standard, so 2014-ish?). The stompy deck occasionally wins FNMs (mostly, it goes 2-2 ish), and is still going strong. Recent acquisitions Steel-Leaf Champion and Narnam Renegade are gonna do some good stuff next FNM, I can feel it.

I've also had a Mono-W weenie deck in pauper about 12 months before that (back when I promised myself I wasn't getting back into Magic, but was happy to jam some commons with a buddy or two). It's still built, but never gets played (if I'm playing pauper, I always end up playing UR Delver Fiend or a janky BW Nightsky Mimic/Extort pile).

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I've reached a point in my life (today is my last day in my 30s), that I've looked at some things. A couple of weeks ago, a newer player at fnm asked what my deck was worth. We started talking about it, and I theorized at retail is was worth about $8k. I was kicking around the idea of getting a midlife crisis sportscar to complete the process of my soul dying. I think with the process of Magic prices soaring, combined that I really don't travel to tournaments anymore, I'm going to liquidate my collection and buy the sports car. I just don't think I can justify owning 5 figures in cardboard for fnm anymore.

Thoughts?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Put your money in a 401k not a Porsche

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EvilBeard posted:

I've reached a point in my life (today is my last day in my 30s), that I've looked at some things. A couple of weeks ago, a newer player at fnm asked what my deck was worth. We started talking about it, and I theorized at retail is was worth about $8k. I was kicking around the idea of getting a midlife crisis sportscar to complete the process of my soul dying. I think with the process of Magic prices soaring, combined that I really don't travel to tournaments anymore, I'm going to liquidate my collection and buy the sports car. I just don't think I can justify owning 5 figures in cardboard for fnm anymore.

Thoughts?

if you wouldn't buy the deck if you didn't have it but $10k dropped into your lap you probably shouldn't keep it if you can sell it for $10k

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

Thoughts?

I'm I'm the same boat. I've gotten rid of my cube, almost all of my duals, and am in the process of getting rid of my more competitive commander decks. I'm keeping a few cheap decks and buying Solidarity because I might as well commit to my shtick of winning with unplayable decks.

I've also been trying to de-pimp things as much as possible with the exception of Death and Taxes and Bant Spirits. I'm just waiting for some things like RAV foil shocks to spike and I'll be putting a lot more effort into it.

Edit:

And yeah just put the money away. Or pay off debt if you have any. Me and all my friends are pretty much at the point of having our collections worth almost as much as our student loan debt, and when it reaches that point we're all out.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Thoughts?

Do what makes you happiest :unsmith: (assuming you're not financially in rough shape)

I've pared down a good bit personally; but do try to keep a couple of decks on hand (legacy/modern) because the itch does come back periodically.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

Thoughts?

Sell it if you need the money but don't blow that money on a marginally less irresponsible thing than Magic cards. If/when I sell out all of the proceeds are going to student loans or any house-related funds.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Sell it if you need the money but don't blow that money on a marginally less irresponsible thing than Magic cards. If/when I sell out all of the proceeds are going to student loans or any house-related funds.

I sold a pile of legacy cards at GP van last year and paid off half my debt, felt good man. And I still have too many loving cards

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I am sitting on a $20k collection (full set of duals, four Cradles, 6 FoW is just the beginning) but my brother who I share the collection with won't let me break it up. You have a 2 year old daughter Bro!! Get a 529 account started already!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I own my home, I have a healthy 401k, and I wanted to buy a convertible Corvette (or m3) . Rather than get into debt (I have no debt), I was thinking I'd just convert cards I only use for FNM into a car.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 10, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I own my home, I have a healthy 401k, and I wanted to buy a convertible Corvette (or m3) . Rather than get into debt (I have no debt), I was thinking I'd just convert cards I only use for FNM into a car.

Well yeah if you're in good financial shape otherwise then go for the whip. I couldn't tell you if a Corvette or M3 is better though :v:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Better yet R8 or a GTR

My faeries deck is the longest deck that I kept sleeved and updated, it's been that way since Lorwyn standard. The other two decks that aren't as long but have been there since I started playing modern are my Dredge deck and D&T.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

Better yet R8 or a GTR

My faeries deck is the longest deck that I kept sleeved and updated, it's been that way since Lorwyn standard. The other two decks that aren't as long but have been there since I started playing modern are my Dredge deck and D&T.

I want to spend less than 20k on a used car, and being a maintenance professional, the ease of getting parts for the Corvette is why I'm leaning that direction.

I was just looking at the pile of cardboard and thinking "this could be a car." it'll probably not be the whole thing, but I'll only have to borrow a small amount that will be easy to pay off, keeping my debt down.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 10, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Just Brain Froze my friend for 114 in response to his Baleful Strix draw trigger AMA

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Just Brain Froze my friend for 114 in response to his Baleful Strix draw trigger AMA

Solidarity is the best deck. Also: unban dig through time.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

EvilBeard posted:

Thoughts?

Do it, quit this garbage game for children.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

What ice-themed pun did you drop in the process?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 11, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

^^^this^^^

except frantic search

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

It really is a blast to play and I miss having DTT to make it reasonable. Even, then, it might be fun to throw it back together again sometime to take for a spin.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It really is a blast to play and I miss having DTT to make it reasonable. Even, then, it might be fun to throw it back together again sometime to take for a spin.

What else do you need to read besides this:

suicidesteve posted:

to convince you to do it? Would it help if I told you I did that through a Force of Will and I still had something like 30 mana, a Force of Will, and a Flash of Insight for ~15 left over?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The March Hare posted:

I am only short resets for this. But I cant justify buying that much value of garbage cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I am only short resets for this. But I cant justify buying that much value of garbage cards.

You can get a set of Risottos for $40. That's less than the average card in most legacy decks these days.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EvilBeard posted:

Thoughts?

I'm beginning the cash out as well. But since I'm debt free at the moment I'm just going to dump all the money into whatever farm I buy in the Midwest and purchase a used nano-brewery setup to pursue a more fulfilling hobby.

I will keep a few modern decks like jund, ponza and GDS but I'm cashing out of legacy completely.

Don't buy a sports car. Lease it and have a blast, then give it back.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What matchups are the rite of consumptions for in legacy depths sideboards? Lands for maze of ith? I'm messing with my sideboard for my NBL modern depths deck and noticed that card in the sideboard of legacy versions and wasn't sure what matchups it would be good in.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I am also thinking about cashing out some significant amount of stuff; probably keep a decent amount of modern staples for FNM, and maybe hold onto my cradles & bayous, but just sell everything else. I've got a fully foiled omnath edh deck and a bunch of other duals and RL cards I basically never play with, and I want to buy a bunch of poo poo for property maintenance (ATV, trailer, riding mower). We just bought our first house last year (meaning the bank owns most of it), and because circumstances forced us to do that a year earlier than we'd been planning, finances are a little scary through the end of the year.

If someone could just look at the piles of cards, instantly know market value and give me 60% of that (which is what you get from collection buyers, generally), I'd probably be looking at 10K and I'd just take it. Doing all the work to get all that poo poo sorted by set and into spreadsheets seems sorta awful, but, yeah. I want an ATV. I guess going the spreadsheet route means i've got a handle on my inventory and could list stuff on TCG and probably get a lot more out of it.

We DID own our car, when we moved up here. Then some hosed totalled it and we ended up taking on a small loan to get a much more appropriate vehicle. So, we went from basically debt free* with cash reserves, to massively indebted in the space of 3 months....

* wife still has ~15K in student debt, but I don't feel very bad about that because 8 years ago we had a combined total of like 100K in student debt, christ is that a loving racket.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 11, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What matchups are the rite of consumptions for in legacy depths sideboards? Lands for maze of ith? I'm messing with my sideboard for my NBL modern depths deck and noticed that card in the sideboard of legacy versions and wasn't sure what matchups it would be good in.

Decks that can otherwise deal with Marit Lage easily and don't have counters. Death and Taxes, Lands, Maze of Ith, Ensnaring Bridge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Decks that can otherwise deal with Marit Lage easily and don't have counters. Death and Taxes, Lands, Maze of Ith, Ensnaring Bridge.

Cool, makes sense. Thanks.

Goofing around with NBL modern is fun so far. Locally we are considering doing it about once a month, just so people don't get burned out or work too hard to break the format. Looking forward to SCGcon since right now it seems like a brewers format in a way, what with so few event results existing. I could see the format getting solved after a while, but a lot of the games we have tested haven't been as fast as everyone fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Cool, makes sense. Thanks.

Goofing around with NBL modern is fun so far. Locally we are considering doing it about once a month, just so people don't get burned out or work too hard to break the format. Looking forward to SCGcon since right now it seems like a brewers format in a way, what with so few event results existing. I could see the format getting solved after a while, but a lot of the games we have tested haven't been as fast as everyone fears.

Just play eldrazi and you win.