Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

If this stupid rumor is true and we can cross-pollinate then we need Aussie Survivor S2's Luke in our proper Survivor ASAP.

And Locky too... Jeff would bust a nut to Locky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Midnightghoul posted:

I would really like Scott Steiner on a Survivor

Good lord I'm imagining a cross between Brad Culpepper's "5 into 9 equals in" confessional and the Steiner Math promo and its fuckin beautiful.

https://youtu.be/WFoC3TR5rzI

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

EW.com apparently did some dumb poll where fans could vote for TC winners. The fans didn't overturn many but did choose:

Colby over Tina (?!)
Boston Rob over Amber
Stephenie LaGrossa over Dani (this was a 6-1 romp, gently caress off fans)
Russell over Natalie
Parv over Sandra
Chrissy over Ben

Sophie still beats Coach and Mich Fitz still beats Aubry (barely) so the fans were pretty restrained overall I guess.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And Locky too... Jeff would bust a nut to Locky...
yah he would love Locky

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

Chrissy over Ben

lol what

How can anyone rationalize how anyone should have won over Ben, when he found infinity immunity idols while constantly being given hours of unsupervised time to look for them? Chrissy is the #1 person to blame for Ben's win, because she was the "mastermind" of the alliance that let him continuously search for idols and blindside them week after week.

(Yes, I know you're going to say the fire making twist was a producer-influenced cheat code for Ben, but he shouldn't have even been in the game for that so this is what I'm faulting her for)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The reddit hivemind thinks that Ben was rigged to win through idols and the twist, and they usually control these kinds of votes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

The reddit hivemind thinks that Ben was rigged to win through idols and the twist, and they usually control these kinds of votes.

"Reddit thinks so" is about as damning an indictment of a theory as I've ever heard

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetJahasus posted:

anyone should have won over Ben

SweetJahasus posted:

he found infinity immunity idols
Thats actually my take.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shneak posted:

Yea, we had this discussion last season, the season in which Ben won. Not much to go on really other than, "This guy kept looking and finding idols while everyone else sat around thinking there was no idols, must be rigged...:yarg:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

production putting idols where he could find them is a possibility, but you don't have to believe it was "rigged" to believe having to idol yourself to safety three separate times shows certain game weaknesses too. And then the exclamation point is that even after all those idols, he STILL was going home at F4 until the fire twist bailed him out. and again, you don't have to think that was Survivor rigging it in order to think these factors make him possibly the weakest player from a social survival aspect to ever make a F3.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The whole "follow him around" strategy was stupid anyway because what the gently caress are you going to do do, tackle a marine when he starts rooting around in the bush?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

What they should have done is hide Chrissy's dead idol so he found it and stopped looking but that's easy for me to to say from my couch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

The whole "follow him around" strategy was stupid anyway because what the gently caress are you going to do do, tackle a marine when he starts rooting around in the bush?

Yep. Might as well nap in the shelter because there’s literally nothing that could have been done.

The game isn’t rigged. FFS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Genuinely "rigging" the game seems far too risky to me. If that poo poo got out it could seriously wound their cash cow

Random poo poo keeping people around is 100% normal Survivor, though

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Lol at the guy who thinks production is putting idols under Ben's favorite making GBS threads rock or whatever.

Also, he had to do because he was a threat that everyone knew would win if he got to the end. That's the definition of a good game. He was good enough that if he got there he was a defacto winner and just because everyone else couldn't compete with that he became a target who had to utilize tools present in the game to ensure his safety.

If you think CBS is rigging the game then about 50% of the winners wouldn't have won (see the list that started this discussion for a start).

Some people are luckier than others. See people work harder than others. Ben happened to be both.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

production putting idols where he could find them is a possibility, but you don't have to believe it was "rigged" to believe having to idol yourself to safety three separate times shows certain game weaknesses too. And then the exclamation point is that even after all those idols, he STILL was going home at F4 until the fire twist bailed him out. and again, you don't have to think that was Survivor rigging it in order to think these factors make him possibly the weakest player from a social survival aspect to ever make a F3.

Ben, was a lovely winner, I agree.

But, the entire thing about it being rigged for Ben was what I was replying too. And unfortunately, a survivor taking advantage of a game mechanic is just not production rigging the game for him.

Now if they start using drones to drop idols, then maybe :P

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetJahasus posted:

Also, he had to do because he was a threat that everyone knew would win if he got to the end. That's the definition of a good game. He was good enough that if he got there he was a defacto winner and just because everyone else couldn't compete with that he became a target who had to utilize tools present in the game to ensure his safety.
No, when they start trying to vote you out for being a threat at F7 and never stop, that is the definition of playing a middle of the road game. He didn't play down his threat level successfully. He didn't have shields in front of him. He didn't position himself in a way that anyone needed his vote. He failed at all that stuff starting from the F7, after which not a single person wanted him in the game. That is most definitely NOT good play. He bailed himself out with idols repeatedly, which got almost silly but is something to his credit (though definitely not anything relating to social or strategic skills), but even that wasn't enough to get him to the end. He sat there vulnerable at 4 with, again, not a single person on his side. Lucky for him, for the first time ever, players were barred from voting anyone out at 4. I do not think this adds up to a well-played game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

don't give their production team ideas

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want to see a challenge where they use that bigass slingshot to shoot down drones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Devon would have had one in that case :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Was trying to find a clip of that time when everybody went out in a mad rush after someone for the idol, and someone other than the person with the hint managed to get it. I can't remember what season it was.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know some people don't like the family segment, but it generally sheds some different light on the players as people

This one is pretty good

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wow, Donathan's mom look like his twin who just got back from thirty years of time travel.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

I know some people don't like the family segment, but it generally sheds some different light on the players as people

This one is pretty good

Yeah I normally hate them but this one is good.

It helps that there's no honk machines (so far)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Wow, Donathan's mom look like his twin who just got back from thirty years of time travel.

His aunt, but yeah totally I thought the same thing immediately

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is a deceptively hard challenge and that was a great reaction shot of Jeff thinking it was over and then NO!

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Interesting choices there Seabass

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That was a bold move.

Took one for the team making those other three pretty happy with him, getting a guaranteed advantage, and maybe Kellyn is more pissed at SeaBass for picking him than him for taking it?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sea Bass picked only men and left four women on the beach alone. Setting up for a good old gender alliance

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

The Bloop posted:

That was a bold move.

Took one for the team making those other three pretty happy with him, getting a guaranteed advantage, and maybe Kellyn is more pissed at SeaBass for picking him than him for taking it?

Oh no poor kellyn doesn't get to hang out with her potato brother for a day

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Sebastian seemed, uh, real attached to his sister.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Being able to practice the next challenge is possibly a bigger advantage than the second chance

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JaneError posted:

Sebastian seemed, uh, real attached to his sister.

still nothing on Kat and her cousin

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why aren't you all scouring for idols instead of loving grousing

edited to remove unintended genderized slur

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 10, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Laurel is not on board with this at all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Bloop posted:

Why aren't you all scouring for idols instead of loving bitching

Because they're still not very good at this.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
They've waited way too long to target Domenick/Wendall and they all deserve to get their asses handed to them. The red flags were there weeks ago.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

laurel seems to be really eager to snatch up that third place

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

IcePhoenix posted:

Laurel is never on board with anything

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's no chance Dom and Wendell vote against Laurel but she's still gonna back out and I'll be mad. I'd be pleased if they actually get votes on Wendell, even if he plays the idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

There's no chance Dom and Wendell vote against Laurel but she's still gonna back out and I'll be mad. I'd be pleased if they actually get votes on Wendell, even if he plays the idol

Laurel is likely hosed if this happens.

• Locked thread