Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
kids kids kids Kids Kids Kids KIDS KIDS KIDS! KIDS! KIDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Starshark posted:

Anyway, library services are female-dominated and they're paid poo poo wages. Except maybe for the CEO-type positions which have a lot of men in them.

also dominated by women and paid like poo poo: nurses, teachers, childcare workers

The Before Times posted:

it's because female labour is seen as inherently worth less than male labour

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I was looking at a median nurse's wage and thinking lol I get paid more than that and I'm a shitkicker (I don't get annual leave or sick leave or anything like that, but if politicians can fudge facts to suit their argument so can I).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Before Times posted:

also dominated by women and paid like poo poo: nurses, teachers, childcare workers

Those aren't tough jobs though mate my backs hosed aye been driving a truck for twenty years mate fuckin yewwwwww

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
lol my cousin spent 5 years as a childcare worker and it hosed his back up

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
no studies have been done on this afaik, but i did a degree in one of the worst industries for unpaid internships (graphic design) and my anecdotal evidence is that my male friends all managed to graduate from internships to paid work either with the same company or another company that poached them within six months of starting. my female friends (including me) did the same sort of work, worth the same amount of money, for the same companies, usually multiple times (i did two unpaid internships totalling over a year of work, i know women who are onto their fourth.) how many of us got work paying above minimum wage for all this free effort? not one. not a single one

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

this broken hill posted:

no studies have been done on this afaik, but i did a degree in one of the worst industries for unpaid internships (graphic design) and my anecdotal evidence is that my male friends all managed to graduate from internships to paid work either with the same company or another company that poached them. my female friends (including me) did the same sort of work, worth the same amount of money, for the same companies. how many of us got paid work from the internships? not one

That's shithouse everything is a bad nightmare.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/CliveFrederickPalmer/photos/a.841434132542792.1073741828.807722379247301/1892846580734870/?type=3

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
also one of my friends asked for paid work after a six-month internship and was told she wasn't suited for the job because it involved having to talk business with big men and she was too much of a "little asian doll" to do that

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

this broken hill posted:

also one of my friends asked for paid work after a six-month internship and was told she wasn't suited for the job because it involved having to talk business with big men and she was too much of a "little asian doll" to do that

I got knocked back for a job at a Civic Video while I was at uni, because 'the owners want a dude--what if the place gets held up??!' never mind I had the experience they were looking for (apparently servo work is pretty similar to video store work) and had training in how to deal with a loving robbery

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

it's because female labour is seen as inherently worth less than male labour and I'm sure it's similar with young people

yeah exactly, its almost as if wages are paid based on the perceived ability of the person involved and not based on the difficulty of the job. it doesn't encourage people to hire kids over adults in any industry where ability is necessary, mmg's just mad that he got turned down from a maccas job at 23.

it sucks that people aren't paid equally for a given role, but accusing it of entrenching child labor is pretty fuckin funny, considering most teenagers work to have some kind of income to spend, not out of some pressing financial need

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

The Before Times posted:

I got knocked back for a job at a Civic Video while I was at uni, because 'the owners want a dude--what if the place gets held up??!' never mind I had the experience they were looking for (apparently servo work is pretty similar to video store work) and had training in how to deal with a loving robbery

There was a woman at the counter of the servo up the road from me who got robbed and she did just fine. What's a man going to do - kung fu the weapon out of the robber's hand before slowly drawing his Hanzo steel?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

The Before Times posted:

i can't even get a job as a disability support worker because all the places around here have decided to use their ndis money to branch into clients that were too difficult to handle before (which i guess is a good thing) and they're only hiring men, my dainty female self is apparently too week and delicate to stand up to an autistic six-year-old throwing a tantrum

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There was a guy at uni who worked at a bottleshop that was robbed. Totally hosed him up, he had to drop out of uni.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bell jar posted:

yeah exactly, its almost as if wages are paid based on the perceived ability of the person involved and not based on the difficulty of the job. it doesn't encourage people to hire kids over adults in any industry where ability is necessary, mmg's just mad that he got turned down from a maccas job at 23.

it sucks that people aren't paid equally for a given role, but accusing it of entrenching child labor is pretty fuckin funny, considering most teenagers work to have some kind of income to spend, not out of some pressing financial need

underpaying teens is good for reasons

spectacular praxis

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bell jar posted:

Youth homelessness is a serious problem and only getting worse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best thing on earth is that beggars have police crackdowns launched on them but wage bandits only answer to FWO who have like one employee

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

underpaying teens is good for reasons

spectacular praxis

yeah thats definitely what i said lmao

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

The best thing on earth is that beggars have police crackdowns launched on them but wage bandits only answer to FWO who have like one employee

yeah it's great eh

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

JBP posted:

Who like the ABC have had their funding frozen this budget, yet the return to surplus of the budget depends on further wage rises in its modelling.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

it beggars belief :rimshot:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
As someone who works in an industry that is a risk for armed robbery here's what you do when someone tries to rob you:

1) Everything they want
2) Any variation on the above point is wrong

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Imagine if everyone was paid award overnight. FWO the useless shitcan recovered like 23 million bucks last year and I would say at the very best only one in ten underpaid employees would make a report. So yeah that's at the very least $230m taxable money not in circulation because of the most important job creators in the country.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The gender wage gap is pretty different to the fact that we allow people to hire children at wages well below the minimum wage and I don't know why anyone here decided to conflate them and cause this stupid conversation.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Periphery posted:

The gender wage gap is pretty different to the fact that we allow people to hire children at wages well below the minimum wage and I don't know why anyone here decided to conflate them and cause this stupid conversation.

Auspol

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

because their existence doesn't create some sort of labour class of preferential hires, depriving hard working adults/men of their jobs

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

why arent our 7-11s staffed by children if they're so abundant and cheap to hire, surely it would be easier to commit wage theft on them

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Starshark posted:

There was a woman at the counter of the servo up the road from me who got robbed and she did just fine. What's a man going to do - kung fu the weapon out of the robber's hand before slowly drawing his Hanzo steel?

Uh, yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

As someone who works in an industry that is a risk for armed robbery here's what you do when someone tries to rob you:

1) Everything they want
2) Any variation on the above point is wrong
3) Thousands of dollars worth of therapy anyway

Fixed.

A friend of mine who was doing law worked at a bottle shop in Altona. He got king hit, kicked half to death then left while being robbed. Ten years on and he lives at home collecting disability. Will probably never work again.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

bell jar posted:

why arent our 7-11s staffed by children if they're so abundant and cheap to hire, surely it would be easier to commit wage theft on them

Because people under the age of 18 can't sell cigarettes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bell jar posted:

I know places like KFC and McDonalds love to give jobs to hardworking children instead of profit-leeching adults.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

Because people under the age of 18 can't sell cigarettes.

looks like they're worth less, then

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

bell jar posted:

looks like they're worth less, then

You have clearly thought this out in a very thorough and reasoned manner. I congratulate you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
When I worked as a minimum wage delivery driver the bosses always told us "If you're robbed just give them everything you've got, our money is insured, we don't want to see you hurt"

I really liked working for those guys.

But yeah, paying a 16 year old less than an 18 year old is bullshit, full wages for all workers.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

keen to hear all your thoughts on apprentice wages, i'm sure they should all be the same as people who are not apprentices. they're doing the same job right :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

keen to hear all your thoughts on apprentice wages, i'm sure they should all be the same as people who are not apprentices. they're doing the same job right :shrug:

The difference is an apprentice is learning on the job. Those wages need to be fixed, but they're also kind of onerous when it comes to the teacher/employer. My dad took on apprentice electricians for a while but eventually gave up because it slowed down his work and cost money for 6 months before the person was proficient enough to help proactively.

Running a till does not require months of training and assistance.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

I too can't tell the difference between "higher wages for experienced workers" and "don't pay anyone below the minimum wage".

EDIT: And if the tradie is also making the minimum wage? Well then that's not an argument to cut the apprentice's pay, that's an argument to raise theirs.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 10, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

are you somehow under the impression that apprentice workers get paid at least minimum wage, hooman

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

heaven forbid anyone tries to become an arborist and pay rent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

are you somehow under the impression that apprentice workers get paid at least minimum wage, hooman

No, I'm saying they should be. I'm saying the exact argument for 16 year olds working for less than adults should also apply to apprentices, I'm saying I'm consistent on the case of "being paid below the minimum wage for work is loving bullshit".

EDIT: And to talk to JBP's point, if that means the government has to step in to top up wages for apprentice training, or pay tradies extra to take on apprentices, I'm fine with that too.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 10, 2018

• Locked thread