Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Are you implying the Manhattan underground is inhabited by Skaven? I'm all for it.

Also this LP has made me start another run of the game again, and boy do I not envy Kanfy one bit. Having read through the LP I could just skip through most of the dialog in my game, and getting to where he is right now took me maybe 2 hours, tops? Having to transcribe everything (editor or not) while also taking video/screenshot footage must make everything take ages.

Essentially, thanks for all the work, Kanfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Poil posted:

Aren't there awakened rats too? Even more fun when they have magical powers. :v:

One of the most common vermin in the Sixth World is called a Devil Rat, which is an Awakened Rat the size of a dog. And yes, their bite usually carries disease among other fun things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They carry VITAS, the same disease that killed off a quarter of everyone.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

paragon1 posted:

Let me answer your question with another question. How do you feel about massive swarms of gigantic, aggressive, disease ridden rats?

Also about tunneling through rubble of concrete and steel packed tightly enough that only aforementioned plague rats can fit through it. since, you know, it's not just open space.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Keksen posted:

Are you implying the Manhattan underground is inhabited by Skaven? I'm all for it.

Devil and demon rats are roughly ten billion times braver than your average Skaven.

Fighting Trousers posted:

How do said rats feel about the cleansing power of fire? :flame:

They're not fans, but that raises a further question. What do you think will run out first, your flamethrower fuel or NYCs supply of rats?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Ok well how about this: maybe we can charm them? I know this really charismatic elf...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Only if they have a magical flute! :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just make sure to pay them after.

Or don't, then you'll save money on daycare too!

Edit: VVVVV Yes, but what happens between the first death and the last?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 10, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best way to destroy the rats is to give them sentience and super cool laser weapons with a tendency towards friendly fire and exploding

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: VVVVV Yes, but what happens between the first death and the last?

Many, many more deaths.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Rat Shamans are common enough. Hire one of them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That would only help if they were Rat spirits. Otherwise every follower of Bear would keep a pet grizzly around.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If they could find one anyway

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FoolyCharged posted:

If they could find one anyway

A lot of wildlife has actually made a huge comeback in SR, either because it gained magical powers or is on the land of people with magical powers who are really into being violent conservationists.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

paragon1 posted:

That would only help if they were Rat spirits. Otherwise every follower of Bear would keep a pet grizzly around.

Okay, here's a question - what are some of the more out there shamanistic totems? Obviously you've got animal spirits like Rat and Bear and Eagle, and then there are the more esoteric ones, like the Dragonslayer and Great Mother, but is it a case of the sky being the limit? (As long as it's not bugs?)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Okay, here's a question - what are some of the more out there shamanistic totems? Obviously you've got animal spirits like Rat and Bear and Eagle, and then there are the more esoteric ones, like the Dragonslayer and Great Mother, but is it a case of the sky being the limit? (As long as it's not bugs?)

Are you familiar, at all, with Hermes Trismegistus?

See, the Hermetic Order, on which much of our understanding of what wizards are is based (and also from which much of our medical knowledge was derived; they liked the caudaceus as a symbol because it was 1. medical 2. a great pun) was a thing, back in real world history. And the Order was based on one of the most basic things anyone studying old texts would run into.

"wait, why are the messenger/knowledge gods of three very different cultures the basically the same god."

the Hermetic Society venerated Hermes Trismegistus, The One Who Was Three. and did a lot of weird poo poo besides, but one of their key observations was that the Divine Being appeared to many peoples as many things. their big secret was It's All The Same God, He Just Humors The Fuckers Who Don't Realize That.

the same applies to spirits. the kid who is running around causing hell with magic spells Bart Simpson taught her will, under tutelage from a UCAS shaman, learn that Bart was the mask Coyote wore to make her feel comfortable. In England, the people who go out to fight something much bigger than them in the name of their totem spirit do it for Saint George; in the CAS they do it for Johnny Reb. Deitrich, of course, being a boy of good German stock, does it for Dragonslayer.

really the only reason we know them by more native american names (in-fiction. out of fiction, it's because the developers liked them some 90s-era native american fetishism) is because the NAN got a head start on what the gently caress re: magic relative to the rest of the anglophonic world, and you do not question the guy who is marginally better at tossing lightining bolts around than you. when he starts explaining why Raven granted them to him.

there are a fair amount of shamans of God, scattered across the world! the fact that most appear to be functionally indistinguishable from shamans of Skyfather is one of those things that starts very unpleasant arguments if you bring it up. please do not bring it up.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

A lot of wildlife has actually made a huge comeback in SR, either because it gained magical powers or is on the land of people with magical powers who are really into being violent conservationists.

Yeah, turns out a lot of endangered species start producing some horrifically dangerous poo poo. Awakened african crocodiles are fifteen foot long highly intelligent pack animals with magical awareness of anything that moves in their territory. Poachers very quickly became rare on the ground in the Sixth World.

Not to mention what happened to deep sea fishing when krakens (awakened giant squid), leviathans (awakened killer whales), and storm dolphins (awakened dolphins)(duh) showed up.

Don't laugh at storm dolphins making that list. They control the weather, shoot lightning, come in packs of up to twenty, and are intelligent enough that they're considered actively hostile to metahumanity instead of just being territorial animals.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

paragon1 posted:

That's actually not what I was getting at.

Having a Rat Shaman would help in traversing that kind of environment, not necessarily deal with the rats themselves (unless you count guidance to AVOID said rats dealing with them).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Stroth posted:

Don't laugh at storm dolphins making that list. They control the weather, shoot lightning, come in packs of up to twenty, and are intelligent enough that they're considered actively hostile to metahumanity instead of just being territorial animals.

Dolphins are assholes to begin with. Awakened dolphins are powerful assholes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

IMJack posted:

Awakened dolphins are powerful assholes.

Powerful intelligent assholes. With a habit of sitting on the edge of the horizon and throwing storms at ports/ships/oil rigs until things are thoroughly destroyed. There's... not a lot of shipping in the northern seas because of them these days.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What, no mention of megalodons being a thing again?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's not just the sea life that's awakened, it's the storms too. Awakened storms are either home to powerful Air spirits or simply are titanically large spirits in their own right, and will just hang out the coast prevailing winds be dammed because they're not going to get blown inland and dissipate until someone comes along and makes them.

90sLurker
Oct 25, 2013

wiegieman posted:

It's not just the sea life that's awakened, it's the storms too. Awakened storms are either home to powerful Air spirits or simply are titanically large spirits in their own right, and will just hang out the coast prevailing winds be dammed because they're not going to get blown inland and dissipate until someone comes along and makes them.
Any awakened shipwrecks? The Johnson turning out to be the rusted hull of the Titanic?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Interestingly, a lot of Runners in coastal cities actually hope to be hit by awakened storms. Yes, it means you'll be working in some of the worst weather imaginable, but nothing takes out coms, wrecks the response time of off site security teams or cops, and disrupts magical wards quite like an Awakened Hurricane.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of bears, some corps use them to protect their compounds instead of guard dogs. And they're beefed up with cyberware. You do NOT want to run across one.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Poil posted:

Speaking of bears, some corps use them to protect their compounds instead of guard dogs. And they're beefed up with cyberware. You do NOT want to run across one.

Especially not because so far experimentation with cybered animals has the side issue that it tends to drive the animals violently psychotic. This is not universally regarded as a downside or a detriment, except by runner teams that encounter one.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

kaosdrachen posted:

Especially not because so far experimentation with cybered animals has the side issue that it tends to drive the animals violently psychotic. This is not universally regarded as a downside or a detriment, except by runner teams that encounter one.

So it's pretty.. Unbearable for them?

I'll see myself out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kaosdrachen posted:

Occasionally this is dealt with by giving the animal additional implants that let a Rigger control it like a drone.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

wedgekree posted:

So it's pretty.. Unbearable for them?

I'll see myself out.

Only for the ones that have cybearnetic implants.

It can get pretty grizzly, but for the riggers who catch a runner team by surprise, their reactions are a real kodiak moment.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting real world events relevant to this game: the real life Kreuzberg's residents are lobbying against Google setting up shop there and gentrifying the gently caress out of the place:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/may/09/gently caress-off-google-the-berlin-neighbourhood-fighting-off-a-tech-giant-kreuzberg

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Stroth posted:

Interestingly, a lot of Runners in coastal cities actually hope to be hit by awakened storms. Yes, it means you'll be working in some of the worst weather imaginable, but nothing takes out coms, wrecks the response time of off site security teams or cops, and disrupts magical wards quite like an Awakened Hurricane.

Awakened tornadoes really ARE aiming for Moore, Oklahoma!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

The Lone Badger posted:

Occasionally this is dealt with by giving the animal additional implants that let a Rigger control it like a drone.

Oh good lord, cyberzombie bears. Yeah, count me the gently caress out on that one.

quote:

Yeah, the local shadowrunning net goes silent as awakened storms approach because they're all gearing up for major missions.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Interesting real world events relevant to this game: the real life Kreuzberg's residents are lobbying against Google setting up shop there and gentrifying the gently caress out of the place:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/may/09/gently caress-off-google-the-berlin-neighbourhood-fighting-off-a-tech-giant-kreuzberg

We're in the dumbest cyberpunk future.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Germany seem to really not like Google. A few years ago i needed to look up an address in some German city and when I checked Streetview it seemed like 25% of all the houses there had been redacted.
Did some digging and it seems there's been some sort of class action suit from Germans who didn't want their houses on street view, and it grew into a national movement of sorts.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

communism bitch posted:

Germany seem to really not like Google. A few years ago i needed to look up an address in some German city and when I checked Streetview it seemed like 25% of all the houses there had been redacted.
Did some digging and it seems there's been some sort of class action suit from Germans who didn't want their houses on street view, and it grew into a national movement of sorts.

There some very good reasons to be wary of google and their obsession with data collection. But of course most people are not very tech-savy and their critic focused in the most harmless stuff like cookies and streetview.

You would make a fine living as a shadowrun decker in this reality with how transparent most people are on the internet.

And seriously gently caress gentrification.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2018

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

communism bitch posted:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

It's funny because it's true. :allears:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also mermaids exist. They are closer to the old joke of a fish with the body of a human than a human with the body of a fish

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathChicken posted:

Also mermaids exist. They are closer to the old joke of a fish with the body of a human than a human with the body of a fish

They are awakened sea lions, and still lack opposable thumbs and real intelligence. They can be trained to perform tricks and tasks at roughly the level of dogs.

However, they do have enviable locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I love that it is pretty much impossible to figure out whether there's been a new update or if everybody is just gushing about the setting judging by the number of new posts. :allears:

I'm entirely unironic about this. I had no idea that psychotic cyborg bears and sea lion mermaids were a thing in shadowrun until today.