Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Hav posted:

And here’s me wondering if they’ve had to explain that it’s not a finished game, according to the rules for claiming. If they claimed, for example, a release date of 2017...

I did check the BFI certified games for either, and couldn’t find entries for either.

They have an interim certification from BFI, which are not listed publicly. If they ever finished SQ42, they would receive final certification, and the game would be listed. That’s never going to happen though. They need to keep SQ42 in development indefinitely, to keep those sweet, sweet tax credits coming in.

Warhawk109 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

It's not really big, it just has a wide beam.

It's alright because it helps people hold on tight during that final dive. When people sink into the cold inky blackness of oblivion it's good that they can snuggle up to a big berthed butt in those final moments of ecstasy.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Amethyst posted:

I'm glad this thread is here to validate public explosions of extreme anger against mental children streaming bad games

How do you have forum cancer? I thought that stopped like 10 years ago.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bofast posted:

:siren: Eardrum warning: loud gorilla in the first second or two, so lower your volume :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ2SHSg5rIY

:siren: Eardrum warning: cat's mouth makes bad rear end bass sounds, so crank up your sub :siren:

https://twitter.com/fatandfem/status/994004946478620673

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Frank_Leroux posted:

Rest assured, it's nothing that you've done. Or that anybody else here has done. You wonderful goons are just pointing and laughing at the spectacle of CIG/RSI/Whoever.

My problem is with anybody (e.g..Twitch17) who dares to equate this silliness with true pain and suffering.

Despite not making your list of awesome posters, I hope you don't fixate too much on the situation. People say dumb things all the time, and sometimes they either say them out of ignorance or stupidity, but it's not likely that he's trying on purpose to be vindictive to people who have lost loved ones to horrible circumstances.

I'm sure if he had some time to consider what he said, or how it affects people, he'd be more understanding. Empathy isn't something that comes in the heat of the moment when somebody feels like they are verging on making a great point on the internet that will be forever encased in awe and wonder by their fellows.

Don't let it work you up, friend. Just move on and chalk it up to somebody just being unconditionally dumb and unthinking in their comments.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
At the risk of boring everyone...there's this argument I've seen on the Reddit cesspool, and it goes like this:

"Of course it's taking a really long time for CIG to implement bind culling. They had to rewrite CryEngine to do what they wanted!"

Words cannot describe how much this jangles me, and all I imagine I know about coding. Do I have to take these people to code Kindergarten?

Lesson 1: If you are REWRITING code, and you know you will need BIND CULLING, then you REWRITE it in such a way that it will be EASY to add BIND CULLING.

Lesson 2: If they did not do that, then they are FUCKUPS. End of story.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Also, not sure if they were to ever release SQ42 episodically, that they would need to seek final certification. I would hazard a guess that SQ42: Ep 1 would be considered a commercially released game(in the eyes of BFI) and receive final certification and subsequent releases would have to be applied for on their own.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Grubby Hobo posted:

Words cannot describe how much this jangles me, and all I imagine I know about coding. Do I have to take these people to code Kindergarten?

Yes. Yes, you do, Meester Grubby Hobo. You must take them there.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Frank_Leroux posted:

Rest assured, it's nothing that you've done. Or that anybody else here has done. You wonderful goons are just pointing and laughing at the spectacle of CIG/RSI/Whoever.

My problem is with anybody (e.g..Twitch17) who dares to equate this silliness with true pain and suffering.

Chin up pal.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I don't like when I do that.

I find the design silly, the munitions they are trying to show off like an Air Force ad even dumber because they are so tiny except for the 4 big things.

My forward deployment seal was more heavily armed, and will do a trick for a fish.

Warhawk109 posted:

They have an interim certification from BFI, which are not listed publicly. If they ever finished SQ42, they would receive final certification, and the game would be listed. That’s never going to happen though. They need to keep SQ42 in development indefinitely, to keep those sweet, sweet tax credits coming in.

Huh, it would have to be based on the submitted paperwork.

trucutru posted:

No, money-related issues is what will sink them. The backers have already found a way to excuse any and all technical problems (It's ALPHA) so they are not an actual problem as long as they don't leave "alpha".

With all due respect, if they can show progress, they can keep the conveyor going for a while, but bumping along without any real progress isn’t going to lead to anything but increasingly desparate attempts to separate people from their cash and what we’re seeing is the first schism between the expectations and the reality.

CiG is sensitive to it’s burn rate and to it’s fuelling rate, and something has bothered me for a long time in terms that Chris copped to external investors before the kickstarter. I’m also wondering what someone does with capital of around $180 million to avoid paying tax on it year upon year. Corporations like to keep themselves close to operating margin as it avoids paying out tax.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Despite not making your list of awesome posters, I hope you don't fixate too much on the situation. People say dumb things all the time, and sometimes they either say them out of ignorance or stupidity, but it's not likely that he's trying on purpose to be vindictive to people who have lost loved ones to horrible circumstances.

I'm sure if he had some time to consider what he said, or how it affects people, he'd be more understanding. Empathy isn't something that comes in the heat of the moment when somebody feels like they are verging on making a great point on the internet that will be forever encased in awe and wonder by their fellows.

Don't let it work you up, friend. Just move on and chalk it up to somebody just being unconditionally dumb and unthinking in their comments.

Now, now, The Titanic, you're always on my mind.
After all, we're off making googly eyes at each other over on the 'Ashes Of Creation' thread...

:hfive:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Grubby Hobo posted:

At the risk of boring everyone...there's this argument I've seen on the Reddit cesspool, and it goes like this:

"Of course it's taking a really long time for CIG to implement bind culling. They had to rewrite CryEngine to do what they wanted!"

Lesson 1: If you are REWRITING code, and you know you will need BIND CULLING, then you REWRITE it in such a way that it will be EASY to add BIND CULLING.

Here's the problem I see with this, and something that always sticks out in all things CIG does.

To implement features like this involves a certain degree of dedication to the project. A dedication that you need to realize that not only is the project hard, but it will also be very time consuming.

This is where good project management steps in place.

When some marketing guys says "oh and I need this too!!!" The project manager says "ok, let's log that and we'll get to it after this project."

The project manager manages to keep a large group of people well organized over a long period of time, helping to break down complex concepts into smaller bits and pieces that people can manageable do within a logical time frame.

They slowly chew through ever smaller pieces until one day the last piece is done, and they now have a completed item, hopefully having been doing good QA along the way so they don't break it as soon as it goes live.

The problem with CIG is that Chris Roberts either is the project manager, or he is the marketing guy; except he doesn't take no for an answer.

So what you end up with is a lot of tiny branches, full of bits of code that keep getting abandoned, and then probably restarted, and then abandoned again, and then restarted except it's all out of date now... and ultimately nothing big gets done.

What you do finish in "mini projects". So the dev team need to take stuff, and figure out how to build it in between Chris coming up with his next idea everybody needs to work on ASAP.

This can be a benefit and a curse though. The benefit is you are releasing a huge array of wildly different things and it looks like you are making non stop progress on a lot of stuff.

The downfall here is everything that is time consuming is never done. This means very low level core stuff remains "broken" or endlessly "buggy". There's no real tie together for all these little mini systems, either. They exist solely for their singular purpose and probably don't play well with the stuff around them.

This is how I feel CIG works. I could be wrong, but I've experienced it many times before, too.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grubby Hobo posted:

This is a well-considered and professional opinion.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Frank_Leroux posted:

Now, now, The Titanic, you're always on my mind.
After all, we're off making googly eyes at each other over on the 'Ashes Of Creation' thread...

:hfive:

You know you keep that up and when I break down for you I'm going to get all wet in all my internal compartments.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

You know you keep that up and when I break down for you I'm going to get all wet in all my internal compartments.

Go on....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

e: what the hell is a soft lob? The haircut?

The optimal point to apply one’s cock ring before shenanigans take place, or a stage below the ‘chub’.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frank_Leroux posted:

Relax friend, if some idiot says something idiotic then remember that he or she is an idiot and let it go.

Otherwise you run the risk of becoming like PGabz, a ball of :argh: made :argh:

Hav posted:

The optimal point to apply one’s cock ring before shenanigans take place, or a stage below the ‘chub’.

The more you know!

Hav posted:

With all due respect, if they can show progress,

They show progress all the time in their shows. Sure, you and I and the people who don't fund this poo poo know that it's not real progress until it's on our hands, but for the people that count, the suckers, it shows progress.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 10, 2018

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
Twerk just seems to be saying that cutting edge things are expensive and uses cancer research as an example of that. He doesnt say that funding Star Citizen is as important as funding cancer research. I honestly can't see the problem with that.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Do you really want to know how I'm lubing up my deep funnels right now, ready in a moments notice to let a giant slip inside?

:nws:

:nws:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CellarDweller posted:

Twerk just seems to be saying that cutting edge things are expensive and uses cancer research as an example of that. He doesnt say that funding Star Citizen is as important as funding cancer research. I honestly can't see the problem with that.

Besides being a dumb-as-gently caress argument and comparison, right?

I get what you're saying but jumping straight into a topic that will make some people uncomfortable when there are a billion other cutting edge things is not very smart for a guy who wants to have viewers. Like, what could be cutting edge and apply to space ships? go for that.

I would guess that one qualifies as "chub"

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 10, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grubby Hobo posted:

Well the first problem is thinking that anybody in CIG learns any lesson other than skittering down the mooring rope as the boat slowly sinks in dock.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

PederP posted:

Even a less than cataclysmic crash, what the talking heads would term "a correction", could devastate the savings of an amateur investor.

Only if (1) that investor decides to sell during the crash, or if (2) the investor NEEDS to sell before the market recovers, or if (3) the market does not recover.

All of us who invest in any way (which is all of us that have 401(k)s, plus all of us with IRAs, plus all of us with individual portfolios) make the bet that number (3) is definitely not going to happen. If it does, we're all hosed and I hope we all made a costco run before the deathpocalypse.

Number (2) might happen if you have some kind of emergency and need to convert your ownership into cash. It might also happen if the market shits itself in a big way right as you're looking at retirement (and these things are fairly cyclic, though not perfectly so). It almost certainly will happen if you're speculating instead of investing for the long term.

Number (1) is the emotionally driven, panicked, "oh god the numbers in my account are so much smaller!" response. Don't do this one.

Otherwise, recessions and corrections are an excellent time to buy stocks on sale if you have the liquidity. I have a friend who is counting on a correction coming soon, and plans to sell her entire "play" portfolio at the beginning of the crash, then try to do a proportional rebuy at the bottom. I do not have the balls to try that one, but I have bought single stocks at significant discounts while the market was having a news-driven hissy fit (like Delta, which I bought in on after their second giant scheduling fuckup last year, and is currently up 34% on my cost basis).

I agree with everything else you said, and encourage anyone with actual expendible income to start investing in some small way. Dollar-based investing or apps like RobinHood. If you like idle games or min-maxing RPGs, you will LOVE playing with finance. If you love both, be very careful :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ghostlight posted:

Well the first problem is thinking that anybody in CIG learns any lesson other than skittering down the mooring rope as the boat slowly sinks in dock.

You guys are just killing me tonight. Why can't you dream of not sinking???

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The weird boat sex slashfic thing is one of my favorite facets of this thread FYI

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

The weird boat sex slashfic thing is one of my favorite facets of this thread FYI

It's probably one of the few things reddit can't twist around and blame the destruction of Star Citizen on, and it probably enrages them. I always aim for the high ground. :sureboat:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Goons getting the blame would only be a credit for us to revel in.

”I brought down a $200 million dollar company and all i have is this lousy t-shirt”

trucutru posted:

They show progress all the time in their shows. Sure, you and I and the people who don't fund this poo poo know that it's not real progress until it's on our hands, but for the people that count, the suckers, it shows progress.

Yeah, the illusion of progress. It only works for so long, it’s similar to the way that people start to tune out advertising, leading to more invasive advertising for that short term traction. People aren’t going to spend another year wondering if they can crew those space chariots.

They’re forking out machines to keep people playing the game in the face of increasing competition to move to something, anything that gets them the viewers. The downside of the gig economy is you have to ride the tiger, and hope it doesn’t stop or get hungry.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mdxi posted:

Only if (1) that investor decides to sell during the crash, or if (2) the investor NEEDS to sell before the market recovers, or if (3) the market does not recover.

All of us who invest in any way (which is all of us that have 401(k)s, plus all of us with IRAs, plus all of us with individual portfolios) make the bet that number (3) is definitely not going to happen. If it does, we're all hosed and I hope we all made a costco run before the deathpocalypse.

Number (2) might happen if you have some kind of emergency and need to convert your ownership into cash. It might also happen if the market shits itself in a big way right as you're looking at retirement (and these things are fairly cyclic, though not perfectly so). It almost certainly will happen if you're speculating instead of investing for the long term.

Number (1) is the emotionally driven, panicked, "oh god the numbers in my account are so much smaller!" response. Don't do this one.

Otherwise, recessions and corrections are an excellent time to buy stocks on sale if you have the liquidity. I have a friend who is counting on a correction coming soon, and plans to sell her entire "play" portfolio at the beginning of the crash, then try to do a proportional rebuy at the bottom. I do not have the balls to try that one, but I have bought single stocks at significant discounts while the market was having a news-driven hissy fit (like Delta, which I bought in on after their second giant scheduling fuckup last year, and is currently up 34% on my cost basis).

I agree with everything else you said, and encourage anyone with actual expendible income to start investing in some small way. Dollar-based investing or apps like RobinHood. If you like idle games or min-maxing RPGs, you will LOVE playing with finance. If you love both, be very careful :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

All of this. All of it. Magnifico.

My 401k is market chum and it’ll either realise, or i have some really good hand tools and a very particular set of skills.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mdxi posted:

Otherwise, recessions and corrections are an excellent time to buy stocks on sale if you have the liquidity. I have a friend who is counting on a correction coming soon, and plans to sell her entire "play" portfolio at the beginning of the crash, then try to do a proportional rebuy at the bottom.

This is that thing people tell you not to do when they say "don't try and time the market".

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

The Titanic posted:

Here's the problem I see with this, and something that always sticks out in all things CIG does.

To implement features like this involves a certain degree of dedication to the project. A dedication that you need to realize that not only is the project hard, but it will also be very time consuming.

This is where good project management steps in place.

When some marketing guys says "oh and I need this too!!!" The project manager says "ok, let's log that and we'll get to it after this project."

The project manager manages to keep a large group of people well organized over a long period of time, helping to break down complex concepts into smaller bits and pieces that people can manageable do within a logical time frame.

They slowly chew through ever smaller pieces until one day the last piece is done, and they now have a completed item, hopefully having been doing good QA along the way so they don't break it as soon as it goes live.

The problem with CIG is that Chris Roberts either is the project manager, or he is the marketing guy; except he doesn't take no for an answer.

So what you end up with is a lot of tiny branches, full of bits of code that keep getting abandoned, and then probably restarted, and then abandoned again, and then restarted except it's all out of date now... and ultimately nothing big gets done.

What you do finish in "mini projects". So the dev team need to take stuff, and figure out how to build it in between Chris coming up with his next idea everybody needs to work on ASAP.

This can be a benefit and a curse though. The benefit is you are releasing a huge array of wildly different things and it looks like you are making non stop progress on a lot of stuff.

The downfall here is everything that is time consuming is never done. This means very low level core stuff remains "broken" or endlessly "buggy". There's no real tie together for all these little mini systems, either. They exist solely for their singular purpose and probably don't play well with the stuff around them.

This is how I feel CIG works. I could be wrong, but I've experienced it many times before, too.

Sigh. You are, unfortunately, correct. There is no coder so good that his efforts cannot be undermined by a sufficiently bad manager.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

And yet a single piece of tastefully rendered Kangolle will bring the heavy jackboot of moderation down after a nominal amount of time.

Anime desires have anime ends.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It's probably one of the few things reddit can't twist around and blame the destruction of Star Citizen on, and it probably enrages them. I always aim for the high ground. :sureboat:

I thought it was all the doxxing and furry erotic fan art?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Frank_Leroux posted:

All it really means is he hasn't had the pleasure of living through the hell of cancer close up. While he doesn't seem like the coolest guy when it comes to making excuses for :cig: he doesn't seem like a sociopath or anything like that so it's not worth melting down attributing to malice what ignorance sufficiently explains.

Sorry about your mom, condolence kitty sends you his taps

https://i.imgur.com/vc4fOL7.gifv

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

XK posted:

How do you have forum cancer? I thought that stopped like 10 years ago.

99% chance he's a sad brains that can't help but post on SA 100 times a day and is circumventing a probie.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

SoftNum posted:

This is that thing people tell you not to do when they say "don't try and time the market".

Yeah, it's not my style. Financially, I'm one or two steps up from a Pierson's Puppeteer in terms of risk aversion.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

I thought it was all the doxxing and furry erotic fan art?

This is the new regime where doxxing was the dark ages and furry and anime kinks live and roam freely amongst the well travelled lot. But don't post any of it because it's not welcome. Joke about it, yes.

It's like that neighbor you know is always out there, watching you through the closed blinds of their living room. When you glance at them, the crack in the cheap Venetian blinds suddenly flip closed, and maybe you were imagining it.

But then suddenly they are out mowing their lawn. You try to wave occasionally but they pretend to never see you because they're looking down at a sudden piece of grass that holds their interest.

Always looming... always watching... just waiting for you... making you feel awkward all the time but you can't do anything about it... :ohdear:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

And yet a single piece of tastefully rendered Kangolle will bring the heavy jackboot of moderation down after a nominal amount of time.

That exceeds the realism threshold for my boat-loving fantasies tia

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Warhawk109 posted:

you only get that poo poo for 3 years though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Titanic posted:

You guys are just killing me tonight. Why can't you dream of not sinking???

It's not our fault you go down more often than a comcast connection.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

This thread wasn't meant for anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

TheAgent posted:

you only get that poo poo for 3 years though

From what I remember it can be renewed every 3 years. Who knows how long they can drag it out for. I don’t think the UK government really had this in mind when they came up with the credit.