Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use soft neoprene (lens) case. It's 2 bux on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rio posted:

True, I had a half leather case with snaps that let you cover the top half with a separate piece on my old X100. I liked the way it looked and it helped with ergonomics due to the lack of a grip on that camera. I just haven’t needed one for the X-T2, particularly since I use the vertical grip on it. But good point about just wanting one as a reason because they do look cool.

I think they look very cool.

I bought one.....the flap works the wrong way. It opens backwards so that the open flap sticks out in front of the LCD and gets in your face.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Best Buy has a deal on peak design strap great for mirrorless. $30 down from $50.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11546947-peak-design-slidelite-camera-strap-for-29-99-tax-and-free-store-pickup-at-bestbuy

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I use the peak design heavier version of this and it's great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use this for Fuji cameras and love it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I use this for Fuji cameras and love it.

Its really well made. It does look a lot like a seat belt though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use that as well as their backpack clip - https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-CapturePRO-Camera-Clip/dp/B00OY5UMD2

I like it. I had been using the mount on the bottom of the camera so I could clip one strap into the side and one to the bottom. It seemed like the camera rested on my hip better. But I thought that that's probably a dumb thing to do so I started using the sides like you're supposed to.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

JHVH-1 posted:

It is a seat belt. Thats a good thing, it's very functional.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I dropped my X100T down the side of a cliff in Bryce Canyon, Utah and it tumbled down the rocks at least 15 feet. The body is scratched up but it works perfectly. Having a lens hood on may have saved the lens.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

harperdc posted:

Take the lens off, make sure the caps are on the body and lens, pack it in the suitcase squished in with soft stuff like shirts or socks. And take the battery out too, that’s a pretty common requirement for international travel too. Or invest in a decent camera bag and take that carry-on.

You don’t need a cover.
I’d be too paranoid about security stealing poo poo to stick it in a suitcase unless it was carry-on. I think it happened to someone here a little while back actually.

But anyway yeah, simplest answer would be some type of camera bag or camera organizer insert thing (to stick in whatever bag/backpack), kinda like the one posted earlier.

Internet Explorer posted:

I use that as well as their backpack clip - https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-CapturePRO-Camera-Clip/dp/B00OY5UMD2

I like it. I had been using the mount on the bottom of the camera so I could clip one strap into the side and one to the bottom. It seemed like the camera rested on my hip better. But I thought that that's probably a dumb thing to do so I started using the sides like you're supposed to.
I do the side+bottom thing cause I use their wrist strap mostly, felt more comfortable holding my camera (GX7) with it attached to the bottom compared to the usual right side point. Course part of that has to do with the quick disconnect thing being right there and feeling weird, while my previous strap felt fine there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My X100F accessory illness is well underway, I bought both the "lens cap fits over it" and "1960s Leica war photographer cosplay" lens hoods from JJC since both of them together are still 1/3 the price of the Fuji one. I'm going to hit the Peak Design store tomorrow to look at their straps [but not DSPTCH because it's cinco de mayo and gently caress going to Valencia Street].

The size is still the biggest thing to get used to, I can see why a lot of people just go for larger bodies since as soon as you can't fit it in your pocket an inch or two aren't much of a deal. Also the lens cap, I know people are like "no worries just use a hood" but for some reason I'm super paranoid about scratching it. Maybe I'll slide further down the accessory grognard slope and get a filter.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

The v2 (which is not the one on sale) has a different (denser?) weave that looks better.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

qirex posted:

My X100F accessory illness is well underway, I bought both the "lens cap fits over it" and "1960s Leica war photographer cosplay" lens hoods from JJC since both of them together are still 1/3 the price of the Fuji one. I'm going to hit the Peak Design store tomorrow to look at their straps [but not DSPTCH because it's cinco de mayo and gently caress going to Valencia Street].

The size is still the biggest thing to get used to, I can see why a lot of people just go for larger bodies since as soon as you can't fit it in your pocket an inch or two aren't much of a deal. Also the lens cap, I know people are like "no worries just use a hood" but for some reason I'm super paranoid about scratching it. Maybe I'll slide further down the accessory grognard slope and get a filter.

Get a high quality thumb grip, it makes a world of difference in X100 cameras.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Actual functional question: when I'm taking well lit shots the auto ISO seems to be defaulting to 1600 or 3200 in situations that really shouldn't require it. Is this normal? The display reads "ISOA3 1600"

Animal posted:

I haven't really had problems holding it, maybe coming from an even smaller and almost entirely smooth camera has given me kung fu grip or something. Wouldn't mind covering up the flash mount though since there's like a 1% chance I'll ever use it.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 4, 2018

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Animal posted:

Agreed, the lensmate thumb grip was the best thing I bought for my X100T. In my opinion it should be come in the box with the camera.

Also, does anyone in this thread have both the XF 18-55mm and the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm? I tend to shoot wide and have heard great things about the 12mm. Trying to decide which would get more use.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2018

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

qirex posted:

Actual functional question: when I'm taking well lit shots the auto ISO seems to be defaulting to 1600 or 3200 in situations that really shouldn't require it. Is this normal? The display reads "ISOA3 1600"

Sounds like the range for the Auto ISO 3 preset starts at 1600. You can customize the ISO ranges for each of the auto presets. On my X100T I had Auto 1 for ISO 200 - 800; Auto 2 for 400 - 3200; and Auto 3 for 1600 - whatever the H range was limited to by the shutter type.

Yet I always manually controlled ISO because I am smarter than a computer :downs:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

frogbs posted:

Also, does anyone in this thread have both the XF 18-55mm and the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm? I tend to shoot wide and have heard great things about the 12mm. Trying to decide which would get more use.

I have both. The 12 is kind of a one trick pony for that ultrawide landscape look (and supposedly it's also great for astro, but I haven't gone down that road yet). If that's what you're after, 18 isn't wide enough. I find it helps to get away from cellphone FOV to take intriguing landscape shots, so I tend to go for the 12 or 55-200 over the 18-55 when I'm setting up for a shot. That said, the 18-55 is obviously much more versatile and I use it much more than the 12 (as a general walk around lens, travel lens, "only bringing one lens" lens). Getting the 12 also really got me GASing for a 10-24.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I bought the rokinon 12/2.0 purely for astro for my Sony but haven't really had a chance to use it yet. it delivers nice shots in good lighting, but the fact it's fully manual is taking some getting used to - the lack of focus assist on it makes it just that little bit more trial and error-y

re: the wideness of it, my favourite lens is the Sony 10-18 because when you get down to something that wide it's incredible how much more you can get in the frame

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

Yeah I just have a UV filter under the hood and don't worry too much about the lens.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's May 2018. Is there still a good reason to use a different RAW converter besides ACR/Lightroom to get the most detail out of Fuji .RAF's?

I don't usually see much of a difference in detail between JPEGs converted from RAW on my computer (with ACR 7.0.0.93) and those coming straight out of my X-T2, but I'm not using much sharpening, or altering the colors or tone curve much from how the Q menu settings had it originally. But I recently shot some paid portraits and sent off some scenic photos for printing, and in both cases I had to make more adjustments than usual, and wasn't 100% sure I was getting as much detail as I could've.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's May 2018. Is there still a good reason to use a different RAW converter besides ACR/Lightroom to get the most detail out of Fuji .RAF's?

I don't usually see much of a difference in detail between JPEGs converted from RAW on my computer (with ACR 7.0.0.93) and those coming straight out of my X-T2, but I'm not using much sharpening, or altering the colors or tone curve much from how the Q menu settings had it originally. But I recently shot some paid portraits and sent off some scenic photos for printing, and in both cases I had to make more adjustments than usual, and wasn't 100% sure I was getting as much detail as I could've.

Going from digital to print is a deep rabbit hole of problems that you're opening up. I keep my entire workflow in Capture One (which is the best raw converter :getin:) and I have to make slight adjustments to the shadow and highlights to get my prints to look right.

If you're a lunatic like me, you could pick up a used epson 3800/3880 pro printer and go hog wild. Or, a smaller desktop photo printer. Or, drop some money on test prints at your print shop. Either way, it'll cost a bit to get the process figured out.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The newish Fuji raw converter does seem to put out more detail. It is essentially the same as what the camera would process in terms of raw into jpg and the other plus is that the film simulations are exact and not approximations like Lightroom. That said, it is close enough that if I am batch editing I have no issues using Lightroom but it is worth a try to compare image output if you haven’t used it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

strap on revenge posted:

re: the wideness of it, my favourite lens is the Sony 10-18 because when you get down to something that wide it's incredible how much more you can get in the frame
I like the Sony 10-18's focal length but cannot understand for the life of me why it costs $800-$900. F4, APS-C, soft picture, cheap plastic housing.

Sony lens prices are frigging weird.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

melon cat posted:

I like the Sony 10-18's focal length but cannot understand for the life of me why it costs $800-$900. F4, APS-C, soft picture, cheap plastic housing.

agree it's pricey but i've always thought it produced pretty sharp images?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Their business model is get you in the door with super cheap entry level APSC body and club you with the mid tier lens 2 years down the road.

Well they used to do it when the mirrorless market was booming.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
X-T2 4.0 firmware is out!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

strap on revenge posted:

agree it's pricey but i've always thought it produced pretty sharp images?

Either I had a bad copy or what, but the 10-18 that I used to shoot with was annoyingly soft. It was kind of like the 18-105, in my opinion. As in, both takes average photos, produced soft images, but have a handy focal length and powerzoom that makes flying it on a gimbal much easier. Both lenses seem to be better-suited for video shooters who want a handy lens. I never used the 10-18 or the 18-105 for my professional photography because of how soft and unremarkable it was.

whatever7 posted:

Their business model is get you in the door with super cheap entry level APSC body and club you with the mid tier lens 2 years down the road.

Well they used to do it when the mirrorless market was booming.
That was their old way of doing things. They've changed things up- Sony now neglects their APS-C line completely and seems to be putting most of its stock in full-frame glass! :downs:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 8, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

X-T2 4.0 firmware is out!

Oh poo poo. Thanks for the heads up. I’m excited to see the phase detection af improvements - I have had no af issues so I’m curious if I will notice it being somehow better.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Any news or rumors on the X-T3? I bought my X-T1 when the X-T2 came out. It's still a great camera but I feel its age sometimes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Schneider Heim posted:

Any news or rumors on the X-T3? I bought my X-T1 when the X-T2 came out. It's still a great camera but I feel its age sometimes.

I highly doubt the x-t3 is coming any time soon, the t2, t20 and h1 all came out extremely recently and I don't know what fuji could put in the x-t3 that could justify such a rapid release turnover.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

melon cat posted:

Just get the 12-24 G with a full frame body :getin:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

melon cat posted:

Either I had a bad copy or what, but the 10-18 that I used to shoot with was annoyingly soft.

i guess i'm fairly new to photography in general and have only had this lens for 8 months or so but i think these (unedited) pics show why i'm pretty happy with it -

100% crop:

(i think imgur's compression doesn't do this one any favours though)

and

100% crops:

a bit of chromatic abberation on the edges but even right up in to the corners it's still pretty good

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Schneider Heim posted:

Supposed to be in September and a new sensor is all Fuji Rumors knows I think.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Man, I was hoping that Eterna would be included in the X-T2 4.0 update but it looks like something that's only going to be on their newer cameras going forward.

Kind of odd that they'd add internal log gamma recording but not kick over Eterna. Eterna is supposedly a profile mainly designed for video, with a wide tonal range and desaturated look so that it's easy to color grade when editing...but isn't that the point of F-Log?

In my case, though, I wanted to use Eterna for still photography. It looks kind of like ProNeg Hi is to ProNeg STD as Classic Chrome is to Eterna, so it would be cool to have. But not worth upgrading to the H1, especially now that there's 120fps and internal F-Log on the X-T2. It doesn't seem like a very well thought-out model segmentation practice. IBIS is the big difference. The other video features were significant, but most of those are ported to the T2 now so why not include Eterna as well? It doesn't seem like a very significant factor by itself.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Encrypted posted:

Just get the 12-24 G with a full frame body :getin:

do this. The lens owns.

2018-04-29_MfB-Cin_NK-097 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

2018-04-29_MfB-Cin_NK-098 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well i just booped my monitor :kimchi:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I finally clean up my Fuji XE1 and the 35mm/1.4 and put them on sale at the buy/sell thread.

Have to put a brake on the gear buying from time to time (in order to re-energize new gear boner).

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Schneider Heim posted:

Fuji rumors was saying that it's coming in October I believe and that it would remain under 28 mega pixels and no IBIS. The big addition they are doing that (all rumors) was the body would have a swappable sensor between an aspc sensor and a full frame sensor. Same sensor as A7iii.

https://www.fujirumors.com/breaking...-ricoh-gxr-s10/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

particle9 posted:

Fuji rumors was saying that it's coming in October I believe and that it would remain under 28 mega pixels and no IBIS. The big addition they are doing that (all rumors) was the body would have a swappable sensor between an aspc sensor and a full frame sensor. Same sensor as A7iii.

https://www.fujirumors.com/breaking...-ricoh-gxr-s10/

Read the date on that article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

8th-snype posted:

Read the date on that article

I would think "toggleable bayer filter" would have been enough to tip off