Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Oh, hey there Calexit.

I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's favorite military profiteer has a new gig lined up training the Chinese military. Some people are calling foul because China is a potential military rival but it's all good because Erik is a staunch anti-communist who loves money above all else.

I mean America, loves America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
.....So... no episode this week because Dave (and perhaps also Gareth?) is "mad at haters" or something, correct? Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Seems they don't like answering hate mail about random poo poo and Dave supposedly mentioned on Twitter that he has no enthisiasm for the show or something like that. I don't have Twitter so Im not entirely sure what's up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know anything about Dave Anthony other than the Dollop, but from what I've gleaned of him it does kinda seem like it's a small miracle that the podcast has gone on this long without him deciding he's mad at somebody and shutting the whole thing down

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Buttflakes posted:

.....So... no episode this week because Dave (and perhaps also Gareth?) is "mad at haters" or something, correct? Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Seems they don't like answering hate mail about random poo poo and Dave supposedly mentioned on Twitter that he has no enthisiasm for the show or something like that. I don't have Twitter so Im not entirely sure what's up.

I think we are getting a new episode this week because that lady's GoFundMe got funded.

If Dave and Gary are that tired of "haters" they should just make the show for patrons only. They have a large enough body of work that people can decide whether or not they want to pony up. And frankly, I'm tired of them too. I like the Dollop. I've never once found it unlistenable (except the penguin massacre). I like live episodes, studio episodes, whatever. People need to shut the gently caress up and quit bitching about the free loving podcast that Dave and Gary do because they're ruining it for the rest of us.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Even patrons could have some legitimate criticisms, I don’t think Dave can handle even that very well. I kind of doubt that they get more vicious feedback than any other podcast.

I’d be happy to give them money to go patreon only but I doubt it’ll make much difference. Actually, I need to throw a little money their way anyway.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
Agreed that it does sorta seem like a small miracle that Dave has hung in here as long as he has.
Im also assuming they probably don't get a disproportionate amount of hate mail or whatever than anyone else doing anything on the internet, but when you're popular, that's and assload of hate mail, it's a big internet... I imagine you gotta learn to delete/ignore or it will consume you.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Buttflakes posted:

I imagine you gotta learn to delete/ignore or it will consume you.

Which is what he just did.

It's a bummer because most people don't interact with their fans as much as he did for just this reason.

Snowy posted:

Even patrons could have some legitimate criticisms, I don’t think Dave can handle even that very well.

I've seen him handle tons of legitimate criticism on twitter, so this is a nonsense argument. There are just tons of dicks.

dougdougdougdoug fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 8, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just when you think it'll be a live only podcast, they release a studio episode. Nice!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Just got into this podcast due to the GBD Podcast thread.

Out of all the episodes I've listened to, I actually like the live audience ones more.

Which are the best episodes from like 0-300?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Slotducks posted:

Out of all the episodes I've listened to, I actually like the live audience ones more.

The Rube

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slotducks posted:

207 - The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All baseball episodes are good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slotducks posted:

237 - Jet Pack Madness, first and foremost.

I just read through an episode list looking for solid recommendations and...you really can't go wrong with most of them. Anything that seems interesting to you probably will be. Even episodes I started thinking "this is just going to be a bummer" like the LAPD quadrilogy or the Iraq War turned out to be funny and engaging, even if they weren't exactly the most uplifting stories.

That said, when I started listening, I remember the one-two punch of 16 - The Two Daredevils and 17 - Rainbow Man being the point where I thought "Okay, I am totally down with this show." 201 - Roger Babson's Fight is a very memorable example of an episode where it starts and ends in two extremely different places, while 157 - More University & One Taste Incorporated is one that starts at "This is insane" and just continues to escalate the entire time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If you want a good insanity continues, the Macquarie Island one is really good.

The audience ends up forgetting that it started with clubbing baby seals.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Slotducks posted:

My favorite episode is a live one! 46 - The Cereal Men ft. Patton Oswalt. It’s so crazy. It also has probably the best “Gary suddenly realizes what the episode has been about this whole time” moments in the whole show.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I really like The Death of George Washington for introducing others to the show because A) it has a big name and B) it becomes much more difficult to romanticize the founding fathers when you picture one of the most central figures in American History on his death bed, covered in beetle husk powder, and surrounded by the best doctors in America who can't stop pumping blood out of him.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think The Rube is still probably the easiest intro.

Nothing dark, nice guy, funny story, easy to follow.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Action Park, Swimming Pools, Oofty Goofty, and because I don't see it ever mentioned when people ask for recommendations, the very early episode about Ghosts.

e: gently caress, I forgot Michael Malloy, forget everthing everyone else told you and listen to this one first.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

#31 - Jack Parson is an underrated episode. So many goddamn twists until the very end.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
We really need a “most recommended episodes” list in the OP. Ones I see come up most often:

The Rube
Michael Molloy
Jet Pack Madness
All the baseball ones

I’ll also throw in a rec for the recent live ep with James Adomian for being thoroughly entertaining from the get-go.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The killdozer episode was pretty good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

My favorite episode is a live one! 46 - The Cereal Men ft. Patton Oswalt. It’s so crazy. It also has probably the best “Gary suddenly realizes what the episode has been about this whole time” moments in the whole show.

3 times as he slowly realizes his childhood was built on a vibrating chair dedicated to making you poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The 1904 St. Louis Olympic Marathon and World's Fair

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The 1904 Olympics, I certainly go back to it the most. Rory Scovel is such a perfect fit for them that I wish they did more episodes together and everything described is so mindblowing absurd.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Cereal Men is brilliant and so is Otto in the Attic.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The one about the leather man and the comet panic one are also good. The Rube and jet pack madness are probably the best possible introductions to the series as a whole though.

As long as you like the format and their style of comedy I think its hard to go wrong though. The only episode I can remember really disliking is the one on Centralia, because Gareth spends half the episode just being like "Why didn't they just put the massive underground anthracite coal fire out??" which really got annoying

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Slotducks posted:

my favorite funny episode is Cereal Men

my favorite serious episode is the Breaking of Glenn Burke, mostly for Dave's one line summary: "So...they killed him." It's a good episode beyond that, though, and has some of those "wait, that person said/did WHAT?" moments.

Dark Secret of Swimming Pools is a nice weird one

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Which episode had the dude babe ruthing a meteor? That was a loving fantastic Gareth moment.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

stealie72 posted:

Which episode had the dude babe ruthing a meteor? That was a loving fantastic Gareth moment.

If you mean a lightning strike, that’s James Otis.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The live PT Barnum episode has a moment that encapsulates a Dollop running theme.

(Dave says something that makes the audience hopeful)
Garrath "Oh, I've been this way before. [Is he our] hero? No, [he's] a villain"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

Lightning strike but yeah James Otis

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not Operator posted:

e: gently caress, I forgot Michael Malloy, forget everthing everyone else told you and listen to this one first.

Ain't I got a thirst.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
All the recommended episodes are awesome, but really what I suggest is listen to ones you think sound interesting and go from there. There are very few outright bad episodes. The one that I loving love is "247 - The Falling Pilot." I was so compelled by that episode that I sat in my car for 15 minutes just to finish it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ariong posted:

If you mean a lightning strike, that’s James Otis.

exploded mummy posted:

Lightning strike but yeah James Otis
Goddammit. Yes. Lightning. That was a fantastic moment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I started with the ones that sounded most interesting, then the net group, then just listened to all of them. Some are funnier/more interesting than others but I've never listened to a Dollop that I felt like was a waste of time. Dave's good at picking topics.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

All the recommended episodes are awesome, but really what I suggest is listen to ones you think sound interesting and go from there. There are very few outright bad episodes. The one that I loving love is "247 - The Falling Pilot." I was so compelled by that episode that I sat in my car for 15 minutes just to finish it.

Hah, I forgot about that one. I listened to it while walking to/from the grocery store and had an old couple out walking their dog look at me like I was crazy because I was just walking down the street laughing while listening to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Surprised nobody mentioned pedestrianism. Easily one of the best episodes.

Dope lake is also pretty great as is the girl watchers.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

There are a lot of good ones honestly. Also conspicuously absent from these recommendations is the Emu War, and the world's greatest sack of flour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t remember this one getting a lot of love but the Harriet Tubman episode should be played in classrooms.

Also did anyone say Jackson Cheese?