Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Why not use the time stone to go back in time and fix literally every problem in the MCU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dr. Strange use the Time Stone to cast Mark Ruffalo on The Incredible Hulk.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The thing about IW and "Why didn't Strange do this?" is he looked through 14000651 futures on how to beat Thanos and got exactly 1 way to possibly win. That's why he did what he did and let it play out. It's not that he didn't think of it, it's that the only possible way to win against Thanos and the whole "half the universe dies forever" thing was what happened.

My IW IIMM is at the end, Banner is shown in the suit with pretty much just the scratches caused by that pile on of aliens, and not the rocks and poo poo he was phased into. How'd they get him out?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

RareAcumen posted:

On the other hand Wong did that while on Earth to someone completely different so who even knows if it'd just immediately cut his arm off or take a while like a lightsaber cutting through a door.

But it had to be quicker than tugging on the stupid glove. It's more that they showed a monster arm getting straight cleaved off at all and then didn't present it to the audience as an option later that makes it irritating.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The thing about IW and "Why didn't Strange do this?" is he looked through 14000651 futures on how to beat Thanos and got exactly 1 way to possibly win. That's why he did what he did and let it play out. It's not that he didn't think of it, it's that the only possible way to win against Thanos and the whole "half the universe dies forever" thing was what happened.

My IW IIMM is at the end, Banner is shown in the suit with pretty much just the scratches caused by that pile on of aliens, and not the rocks and poo poo he was phased into. How'd they get him out?

I assumed he was trapped in the stone (so parts of the stone were obliterated or displaced) so he just had to flex out. Buncha rocks aren't going to even scratch Hulk Buster.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Karma Tornado posted:

But it had to be quicker than tugging on the stupid glove. It's more that they showed a monster arm getting straight cleaved off at all and then didn't present it to the audience as an option later that makes it irritating.

Avengers: Infinity War

Yeah I think your latter point is the important one here. Thanos' main, iconic weapon is his gauntlet, and they showed an arm being cut off earlier in the film. It's fine to say "He was too strong, it never would have worked", but if that's the case, don't show us something that feels like a Chekhov's Gun that never comes into play. It'd be like...if a spy used some kind of automatic bomb-defusing gadget in Act I, and then during the climax in Act III, he's trying to defuse a bigger bomb without ever acknowledging that he still has that gadget from earlier.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The thing that got me was Strange should have seen 14,000,616 possible futures.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

I think that's exactly why things are the way they are. "It's the only way"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Patattack posted:

Avengers: Infinity War

Yeah I think your latter point is the important one here. Thanos' main, iconic weapon is his gauntlet, and they showed an arm being cut off earlier in the film. It's fine to say "He was too strong, it never would have worked", but if that's the case, don't show us something that feels like a Chekhov's Gun that never comes into play. It'd be like...if a spy used some kind of automatic bomb-defusing gadget in Act I, and then during the climax in Act III, he's trying to defuse a bigger bomb without ever acknowledging that he still has that gadget from earlier.

Avengers movies tend to do that: Chekhov guns that are never fired, or even mentioned. Like in the very first Avengers, when they're fighting before they team up, Thor smacks Cap's shield with his hammer and it lets out a huge energy wave that levels a forest. You'd expect them to use it later in the big final battle to get out of a tight spot, but it never comes up again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mikl posted:

Avengers movies tend to do that: Chekhov guns that are never fired, or even mentioned. Like in the very first Avengers, when they're fighting before they team up, Thor smacks Cap's shield with his hammer and it lets out a huge energy wave that levels a forest. You'd expect them to use it later in the big final battle to get out of a tight spot, but it never comes up again.

Also ignored Thor was going to straight up kill Captain America. Thor had no idea that the shield would stop him and, if it didn't, Steve Rogers would have been paste. No big, though. It was just a misunderstanding.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He is a good. He is entitled to a little smiting every now and then.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Also ignored Thor was going to straight up kill Captain America. Thor had no idea that the shield would stop him and, if it didn't, Steve Rogers would have been paste. No big, though. It was just a misunderstanding.

Well yeah, have you ever read a comic book? Dumb poo poo like that happens ALL THE TIME. Its also why Avengers 1 is my favorite marvel movie, since its the closest of all the MCU films to feel like a really stupid and fun comic book from the late 60s early 70s.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thor will straight up murder a person. Dude's a viking god.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Push El Burrito posted:

Thor will straight up murder a person. Dude's a viking god.

Wait, I thought Sentry had, like, the power of a million suns or some BS like that.

I know Thor's tough, but I thought he was below Hulk in strength and The Sentry was above Hulk?

But Thanos, in theory above Hulk and Thor, has also been beaten by people like Spider-Man, so...power levels are meaningless, basically.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, I thought Sentry had, like, the power of a million suns or some BS like that.

I know Thor's tough, but I thought he was below Hulk in strength and The Sentry was above Hulk?

But Thanos, in theory above Hulk and Thor, has also been beaten by people like Spider-Man, so...power levels are meaningless, basically.

Power levels are indeed meaningless, every character is as strong and tough as the story demands. Or more specifically they are exactly strong enough so that if they push... self... to... limit... they.... can... just... MAKE IT!!! Also the Hulks power level is variable even by comic book standards. Famously, the madder hulk gets the stronger hulk gets, and also Hulk is the strongest one there is.

Once you get to sentry/thor/thanos strength levels, assume any of them can hurt any other one. Also apparently the power of a million suns doesnt stop you from getting a snapped neck. Which makes sense, Suns dont have necks, why would they need anti-neck-snapping powers?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Karma Tornado posted:

Strange didn't witness that happen so it's not like he knew that was an option.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Power levels are indeed meaningless, every character is as strong and tough as the story demands. Or more specifically they are exactly strong enough so that if they push... self... to... limit... they.... can... just... MAKE IT!!! Also the Hulks power level is variable even by comic book standards. Famously, the madder hulk gets the stronger hulk gets, and also Hulk is the strongest one there is.

Once you get to sentry/thor/thanos strength levels, assume any of them can hurt any other one. Also apparently the power of a million suns doesnt stop you from getting a snapped neck. Which makes sense, Suns dont have necks, why would they need anti-neck-snapping powers?

the only rule for power levels is that squirrel girl is unbeatable.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Black Panther once put the Silver Surfer into a headlock. So some writers thing that good form can beat the power cosmic or whatever.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

JT Smiley posted:

You're telling me that dude isn't aware that the magic circles he uses like a bus can huck off chunks of him if he shuts them too soon?

The point is that it's irritating to show that as a potential option and not bother to handwave it in any way later.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm not taking issue with the character aspect, I'm taking issue with the screenwriter aspect.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Karma Tornado posted:

You're telling me that dude isn't aware that the magic circles he uses like a bus can huck off chunks of him if he shuts them too soon?

The point is that it's irritating to show that as a potential option and not bother to handwave it in any way later.

They did handwave it, and literally every other scenario you are all spitballing here. How is this discussion even still happening?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thanos has a great plan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNZbgBPz1Q

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

food court bailiff posted:

They did handwave it, and literally every other scenario you are all spitballing here. How is this discussion even still happening?

Seriously.
We are told that the way things happen is LITERALLY the only way they could have a chance of winning.

If they used the sling ring to chop off his arm, there exists multitudes of probabilities that he would crush Mantis' throat and hold Peter's life as a bargaining chip or WHATEVER.

It is a really convenient avenue for the writers to take, perhaps not the most interesting, but it is well within the logic of the movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Thor's pretty good at killing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Seriously.
We are told that the way things happen is LITERALLY the only way they could have a chance of winning.

If they used the sling ring to chop off his arm, there exists multitudes of probabilities that he would crush Mantis' throat and hold Peter's life as a bargaining chip or WHATEVER.

It is a really convenient avenue for the writers to take, perhaps not the most interesting, but it is well within the logic of the movie.

Its also probably something where he can still gently caress everyone up without the gauntlet like he’s been doing. Leaving him with the gauntlet gives you a way to reverse him killing half the universe than if he goes and slaughters people the old fashioned way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Its also probably something where he can still gently caress everyone up without the gauntlet like he’s been doing. Leaving him with the gauntlet gives you a way to reverse him killing half the universe than if he goes and slaughters people the old fashioned way.

Yep! Thanos is the only one they know who can hold all of the stones AND use them. Killing him outright would be next to impossible before he had the stones. Once he has snapped his fingers, Thanos is probably the only one who can fix it.

One thing I loved about the movie is that he fought Hulk right away so that we weren't waiting for Deus Ex Hulk. Thanos beat him so hard that he was scared of coming out for the rest of the movie.
I wish they had a scene where Bruce internally spoke to Hulk and showed that Hulk was truly frightened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SiKboy posted:

If you want to know about snapped necks, talk to zod

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is going to sound dumb, but I wish Infinity War gave us a 'little bit more' Thanos/Glove/Stones development to explain things a bit better.

Strange seems to be the one to openly tell everyone "Don't Let Him Close His Fist" as a 'weakness', something he probably only learned through his efforts, but why shouldn't Thanos do 'that' all the time?

Also, THIS is a MAJOR thing I'm surprised HASN'T become a huge geek rant about the film given every other comic book movie in the last decade...

Peter Parker effectively plans and assists in the execution a calculated murder. I'm just surprised that moment hasn't become a more IIMM point for the film.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm more surprised an alien whose power is goddamn telekinesis dies from getting sucked into space. He can't just float back, telekinetically create a bubble of air around him, something? The other henchmen didn't have quite the degree of jedi powers but survived much more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JediTalentAgent posted:

Peter Parker effectively plans and assists in the execution a calculated murder. I'm just surprised that moment hasn't become a more IIMM point for the film.

But he was a Bad Guy, why would they care about him?

you're right

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JediTalentAgent posted:

Meh, it's not like Spiderman doesn't kill people in other media. He's not Superman.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Meh, it's not like Spiderman doesn't kill people in other media. He's not Superman.

He's usually not like 15 though. I get what you're saying, but it is a valid take."

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Panfilo posted:

I'm more surprised an alien whose power is goddamn telekinesis dies from getting sucked into space. He can't just float back, telekinetically create a bubble of air around him, something? The other henchmen didn't have quite the degree of jedi powers but survived much more.

did the alien bring some air in its pockets?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone comes into your house and starts wrecking poo poo and murders your room mates I don't think there's time for a nuanced take on the morality of murder. You take your shotgun and shoot the bitch in the head.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

JediTalentAgent posted:

Maybe he thought they were just going to put him in space jail after they took the glove off. He's pretty young and and seems idealistic. Plus they never say kill Thanos, just stop him.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But I'm talking about the telekinetic guy who kidnapped Strange

It's not even a big deal, but as I said, I'm just really surprised given how 'geek controversial' those moments have been in recent films that it hasn't specifically been generating more negativity.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It was an evil alien wizard, it's not like Peter helped them assassinate a foreign dictator.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Handmaid's Tale the main protagonist is a christian woman even after being hosed over

I'm waiting for the Type-O Negative song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In comics and comic movies killing aliens doesn't count unless they're adorable.

Also he's just in a sleep state. We'll just stuff him into this tiny space ship and let Rocket Racoon take care of the rest.