Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yes I feel keeping promises to the voters who support them would be better than sticking to some arbitrary rules liked by the ones who don’t. They will never win the support of the second group but will lose the support of the first.
But I think they are still finding fiscal holes left by Joyce and the 9 years of chronic under-funding. All in the name of these budget rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i've also seen some commentary guessing they'll copy the previous labour government's strategy of under promising and over delivering

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not rhetorical: what is the issue with raising or not paying back govt debt in the short term? Interest rates would go up a bit I know, but god forbid kiwis actually save a little rather than drastically overleveraging themselves to buy property.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Too many people have bought in to the running a deficit is bad line. All of the cuts National made were in the name of returning to surplus. If Labour ups spending and borrowing it will be all over the opinion pieces etc.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Feels like it's too early to reinforce the "all the left does is create debt" thing

e: beaten and said in a better way

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

True, maybe next year then

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/992195774669766657

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo hello sailor

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Xik posted:

Feels like it's too early to reinforce the "all the left does is create debt" thing

e: beaten and said in a better way

This literally happens regardless of if debt increased under right wing governments and decreased under left wing governments. Facts don't matter, it's all narrative when it comes to DEBT.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So apparently the Gayford rumours seem to have begun with various twitter accounts. Posting them as image macros. The same accounts had also in the past posted pro-Trump images.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varkk posted:

So apparently the Gayford rumours seem to have begun with various twitter accounts. Posting them as image macros. The same accounts had also in the past posted pro-Trump images.

Delightful layer of added grossness.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dirty Politics II: Attack of the Trolls

Do they really expect this to work in NZ? I think it's more likely to have the opposite effect and people will see him as a good bloke being unfairly persecuted

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Cor blimey.

quote:

A volcanologist says a giant sinkhole that opened up on a Bay of Plenty farm is the biggest he's ever seen in New Zealand.

The hole, also known as a tomo, was 200 metres long and 20 metres deep, and was now threatening Fonterra's road access to the Tumunui dairy farm.

GNS Science volcanologist Brad Scott said the sinkhole - the largest he had ever seen in New Zealand - had the potential to get even bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17I8yPiapgw

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/05/new-zealand-sinkholes-volcanic-fault-lines-science-spd/

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018643183/massive-sinkhole-on-farm-just-going-to-get-bigger-gns

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

normel

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Calling someone a second class citizen because they're an immigrant or refugee is pretty close hate speech isn't it?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That's some weapons grade stupid bigotry right there. Even leaving aside the "second class" part, 28 years ago is recent? A 9 year old "abandoned" her own country? Like that would be a stupid loving thing to say about an adult refugee, but a kid? The gently caress is wrong with this guy?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Plunket is some sorta alpha fuckwit. It's like they grew him in a lab.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That entire comment thread is a dumpster fire.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/357168/national-pulls-support-for-domestic-violence-leave-bill

National are trash.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

but following a select committee process in which amendments were made to reduce an employer's say in the matter, the party got cold feet

What are the amendments that made the bill so scary?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hello I am a normal heterosexual person

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/05/it-s-not-gay-advert-offends-self-described-normal-heterosexual-person.html

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I never did quite get the whole censoring of language uproar - from either end. Both sides tend to forget that people just invent new words or appropriate old ones, like how cuck replaced human being, or troon replaced shemale.

All you're doing is putting stumbling blocks in for linguistic habits, which means that once the new word pops up it's laced with a helluva lot more spite because it's seen as a giant gently caress you to whoever tried censoring it in the first place.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, cuck replaced human being? I thought cuck was short for cuckold.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Wait until you encounter "virtue signalling."

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wait, people use cuck in real life?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was used in parliament recently.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oohhboy posted:

It is, but the literal meanings of the words are not necessary for their function as an insult.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Wait, cuck replaced human being?

News to me, had no idea that cuck has become a gay slur

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It isn't specifically but it generally connotes effeminacy and weakness so it wouldn't surprise me if homophobes use it for gay people

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I thought troon was specifically trans goons?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It is.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So who else is loving STOKED for budget day?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mark Richardson update: still a pillock

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/103980377/broadcaster-mark-richardson-tells-tenants-on-live-tv-rents-going-up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It took me like three scrolls into the comments to get to someone suggesting that wanting to lower rents is Nazi Germany.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Sorry Rigor, loved your batting but it's time for the guillotine.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
The gently caress is this?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/103993160/budget-winners-and-losers-of-the-governments-first-budget

quote:

Workers on the average wage could soon find themselves paying more tax, as wage inflation is tipped to push more into the top tax bracket in the next five years.

The average wage will soon hit $70,000 and those earners will be taxed at the same rate as New Zealand's wealthiest.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Where the hell kind of wages are those being paid?

I mean, I know of a few. But they have to work mad hours to make that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

New Zealand has some of the lowest income taxes in the OECD, but the government also collects more of its revenue from income tax than the OECD average because our tax brackets kick in so low.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I dunno if they are being intentionally disingenuous but most people don't earn near $70k, the median wage is more like 50.

E: Also wage inflation is very low, just yesterday stuff posted an article about it.

Robo Captain fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah but what you're not taking into account is that Labour is going to completely gently caress up the economy and create a 40% increase in inflation within the next year because they're just tax hungry bureaucrats that don't care about businesses.

But also <3 to the commentator who pointed out that Labour tried to make the top tax bracket $150k in 2014 and got so roundly thrashed for it by National and the media, that part of their 2018 election campaign was promising not to touch income tax in their first term.

• Locked thread