Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Billionaires using their money for cool weird fun poo poo is my jam.
Billionaires using taxpayer money to enrich themselves while actively harming people.

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Elon Musk is the Henry Juskiewicz of electric cars and rocket ships.
Given the worker conditions poo poo more like the Cort parent company. He also hasn’t invited any hate groups out to protest regulatory oversight (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

:byodood: Grrrrreeeetings and salutations!

See I like them and their goofiness. I don’t know why but it works for me. I guess because it’s less dudes my age and younger trying to make memes and goofs all the time and more old dudes just being genuinely excited about things and not always totally self aware. Who knows.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Steve’s faces are literally one of the few things that triggers anger in me so quickly and intensely. It’s the worst and why I don’t watch his videos.

I feel the same way about kmac too :shrug:

tbf to kmac he doesn't really too many make dumb faces he's just cursed with a head that looks like an overinflated balloon

he's still cool though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocE2mxkwG_w

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Tool, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

See I like them and their goofiness. I don’t know why but it works for me. I guess because it’s less dudes my age and younger trying to make memes and goofs all the time and more old dudes just being genuinely excited about things and not always totally self aware. Who knows.
Chappers and the Cap'n are cool, and Rabea's riffs always bring a smile to my face. :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Chappers and the Cap'n are cool, and Rabea's riffs always bring a smile to my face. :3:

Rabea is a loving wonderful guy isn’t he? So genuinely interesting as a player and person. I’ve taken a lot of influence from him over the year or two I’ve been familiar with his music.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

tbf to kmac he doesn't really too many make dumb faces he's just cursed with a head that looks like an overinflated balloon

he's still cool though

Tool ARE complete poo poo, aren't they?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'd be totally ok if Tool never released any new music, especially they did it to troll their insufferable fans.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope it has a dj and some dope beats

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I hope Tool releases a new album that's just twenty minutes of Maynard rubbing a microphone on his rear end in a top hat while yelling about how much he hates Tool fans, just to see the mental gymnastics all the dorks on geniuslyrics pull to try to make it into some obtuse metaphor.
I like Tool but until Rick & Morty came around they had the worst fanbase on the Internet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If the new Tool album is anything like the new A Perfect Circle album, it won't have been worth the wait at all lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If the new Tool album is anything like the new A Perfect Circle album, it won't have been worth the wait at all lol

they put out some snippet a couple weeks back and it sounds like every other tool song

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The new APC songs are really good.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I hope Tool puts out an album with a cover of Smoke on the Water.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Tool presents: Absolute Buttrock Classics

24 tracks your redneck neighbor loves, and now you can too!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Actuary X posted:

I hope Tool puts out an album with a cover of Smoke on the Water.

Yeah, I kinda enjoyed that version of the song. :shobon:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

he's still cool though

Only thing the video was missing was "add Phrygian mode solo"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I like Tool but until Rick & Morty came around they had the worst fanbase on the Internet.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Are we forgetting about The Spiral?

Yes, I was part of the problem. Goddamn it was awful almost since it began. I loved With Teeth, and still love much of the Nine Inch Nails catalog, but The Spiral community soured me on the band for a while, despite the fact that back then I could still consider Aaron North a personal friend and I was happy that both him and Alessandro Cortini (whose help allowed me to survive in LA) were raking in the dough and "made it". gently caress The Spiral community, though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I get how people can hate on Kmac, but he's one of the best things this thread has exposed me to.

My current stupid music obsession is newspapers doing in-depth analysis of "This is America" video.

I think no one is picking up on it being a subtle skewering of trap and rap culture's contribution to gun violence, and no one has mentioned that America is talking about gun violence again, but no one was killed this time. yay music as social device!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

The new APC songs are really good.
Ah, so that's why I remember none of the songs aside from the single despite listening to the album twice because I thought I was being too hard on it the first time.

I wanted to like it, I really did. I still love Thirteenth Step and have ever since it came out like 15 years ago. But there's almost nothing noteworthy on the new album.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One of the problems with the new APC stuff is Howerdel wrote a lot of it while learning how to play keys and attempted to avoid everything that made him comfortable playing guitar. It's competent music but there's no solid hook or riffs so it rests entirely on melody and lyricism. Meanwhile all the good APC poo poo has some form of riff that feels circular, I thought that was like their gimmick for a long time.

Compare 3 Libras to So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. Neither really focuses on aggressive guitars and both are very melody driven songs but 3 Libras starts off with a solid rhythmic hook while "I too read Douglas Adams!" begins with with an asymmetrical melody that lacks impact. Finally when the distorted guitars kick in for both songs, 3 Libras cuts through the mix with a tight focus while So Long feels more scooped and compressed while every other instrument buries the guitars.
There's a live youtube video where they play it with more mids in the guitars and it sounds a lot better but it still lacks the same impact as their older riffs and hooks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I mostly just liked So Long a lot. I haven’t heard the entire album though so who knows if it will hit me like that one. Either way I’ll always have Thirteenth Step.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wait people other than fat hot topic night managers listen to diet tool?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A Perfect Circle was always the superior band. While I like songs off of most of their albums/EP's (and I like most of Ænima as a whole), Tool is what a friend likes to call a "dumpster diving experience". Like, yeah, they have some good-to-great songs, but oftentimes you're gonna have to remove that stinky banana peel off it.

Both Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step are pretty good albums, and even the songs that'd give that same old "Tool BS flow-breaking interlude" vibe are solid... except the one where they have Jarboe baby-talking COME THE gently caress ON YOU HAVE SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T HAVE A BUTTROCKER IMPRESSION STUCK IN THEIR THROAT AAAAAAAAARGH :rant:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

wait people other than fat hot topic night managers listen to diet tool?

so far we haven't proved this one way or the other

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Earnest love for Vai and now Tool. I definitely know which thread I’m in. :smug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Both are good but Vai is king tbh

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I get the hate on Vai, he's a goof-ball. I still love the guy, of course, but I'm an old who grew up worshipping him (he played Jack Butler in Crossroads, which is kinda like the Rocky of guitar nerd movies, and my guitar nerd friends and I must have watched that dumb movie 45 times back then) and the stuff he did with DLR on Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper is simply amazingly awesome. Very earnest love for that stuff, it was the soundtrack of my Junior and Senior years of High School (with Van Halen's 5150 rounding out a great summer).

I don't get the hate for Tool, but then again I never owned a Tool CD. My prog band covered Eulogy and Stinkfist and it was fun as hell to play, but that's about the extent of my exposure to Tool except for that one song from MTV... Broken? I thought that was a good song, too.

I do recall hearing about the Radiohead vs. Tool tribalism but never got involved. Anybody care to explain what's so bad about Tool to me, and maybe comment on the band rivalry? Were the bands themselves involved or was it just rear end in a top hat fans being assholes?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My favorite Steve Vai moment is a live Be In My Video wherein they reference renting a nice French bomb and then he does a crazy dive bomb. Awesome.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

or was it just rear end in a top hat fans being assholes?

That

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tool put out Ænima, which was a fairly solid Prog-Rock / Post-Grunge record in late '96. My 12-year-old self loved the record. I still kinda like it nowadays, but it's definitely more of a "warts and all" record. I think 2 of the interludes work, but otherwise, the record would have been much better without them, because they kinda gently caress with the flow of the record. The 3 opening songs, "Stinkfist", "Eulogy" and "H" are all super solid and probably the most solid chunk of the record because, again, NO INTERLUDES. The record did NOT need an interlude about hash cookies or a phone message about Maynard's roommate being a "son of a whore" in badly mangled Italian or a sheet of paper and a fan along with fly noises.

Radiohead put out one of the most memorable alternative rock records of the 90's with OK Computer in 1997. To this day, I listen to that record at least once or twice a month. It's an almost perfect record, even if it owes a lot of its strength on the second half to the Beatles (not joking) and Nigel Godrich's started butt-sexing Radiohead's production along with Chris Blair and Bob Ludwig less-than-stellar mastering jobs.

Most of my weirdo friends (including me) in the mid-late 90's / early 00's liked both bands, so I'm honestly bemused as to where this Radiohead vs Tool tribalism came from. Maybe something Gringo / UK teenagers dreamed up?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like Tool but tbh I will die for Radiohead in that battle

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I loved Tool as a dumb teen (and I think they're exactly the sort of band that a dumb music-nerd teen should love) but I've long since left them behind -- to be honest a lot of that is just because they're not on any streaming services for some asinine reason so my only way of listening to them is dodgy rips I got off the internet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How have you all not moved on to the blackest of metal considering the world we now live in?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How have you all not moved on to the blackest of metal considering the world we now live in?

I've started unironically appreciating blastbeats so I think I've fallen just about all the way down the metal hole now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

I loved Tool as a dumb teen (and I think they're exactly the sort of band that a dumb music-nerd teen should love) but I've long since left them behind -- to be honest a lot of that is just because they're not on any streaming services for some asinine reason so my only way of listening to them is dodgy rips I got off the internet.

Band members have hinted that they will likely end up on streaming services with the release of the upcoming album, which is supposedly being released in the fall (MJK said on Joe Rogan's podcast that he prefers to release albums in the spring or fall, so if it doesn't come out by this years fall, it will be 2019 before it's finally released).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I mostly just moved up to Gojira and Isis so whenever I get that edgelord itch, those are my two go-to bands.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
A Perfect Circle is bad

Tool is bad

Radiohead is bad

Music is bad

Stupid Music poo poo is good

Wait, no

It's bad

Bad

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

gently caress Your Website posted:

A Perfect Circle is bad

Tool is bad

Radiohead is bad

Music is bad

Stupid Music poo poo is good

Wait, no

It's bad

Bad

I agree gently caress Your Website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

I mostly just moved up to Gojira and Isis so whenever I get that edgelord itch, those are my two go-to bands.

Isis is edgelord? :shrug:

Now if you had said Sumac... :smug: