Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Microcline posted:

It's the closest Final Fantasy has come to being a Taro Yoko game, at least until he directs FFXVI.

With the success of Nier: Automata, is there a chance he actually will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

I think it takes a lot more than simply making a good, popular game to have Squeenix trust you with their baby.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it takes a lot more than simply making a good, popular game to have Squeenix trust you with their baby.

Probably, but considering how bad the last 3 were handled by their original directors i don't see how they can do much worse.
I mean, Nier:A and FF7R was announced on the same day, and look how that turned out.
I don't think it'll happen though. One reason being that Taro seems more interested in making his stuff than falling in line with FF expectations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My copy of the guide for FFXIII arrived and it's the really nice hardback version. One thing they did that's super cool is the opening pages have a rating for every section on how much that section will spoil gameplay and a separate section for how much it will spoil the plot. One of the flaws in the XII guide I have is that the walkthrough is after the bestiary and a bunch of other chapters that accidentally spoil things for example showing Gabranth will be a guest, Vossler in the bestiary, showing all the summons and a few other things. I really like that the XIII guide went through lengths to structure their guide in the best way possible to avoid stuff like that as well as give an index on what sections might be risky to skim.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah you have to be a relentless gently caress up with too much on his plate who takes a decade to produce anything that can be considered eh, at best

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EmmyOk posted:

My copy of the guide for FFXIII arrived and it's the really nice hardback version. One thing they did that's super cool is the opening pages have a rating for every section on how much that section will spoil gameplay and a separate section for how much it will spoil the plot. One of the flaws in the XII guide I have is that the walkthrough is after the bestiary and a bunch of other chapters that accidentally spoil things for example showing Gabranth will be a guest, Vossler in the bestiary, showing all the summons and a few other things. I really like that the XIII guide went through lengths to structure their guide in the best way possible to avoid stuff like that as well as give an index on what sections might be risky to skim.

They should've taken it one step farther and put the spoilery stuff on its own website.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

yeah you have to be producing games at least as good as the third birthday to get on final fantasy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What's the max Evasion in FF2? Maria has "8 - 99%" now, it doesn't seem to be getting higher, and if I put armor on her it doesn't seem to fall now either. Am I good just equipping her with items normally for the rest of the game now?

EDIT: Aw never mind, I just realized the Thief's Gloves I have on her are raising her Evasion a bit anyways.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 10, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, now now let's not start spreading rumors like 'Squeenix has people working on an FF game' when we all know that isn't true.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They still have people working on 15 so actually

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
FF16 coming 2025 after FF7 remake part 1 releases in 2022.

FF7 remake is probably the most pathetic thing. All they had to do was go the REmake route, do modern pre-rendered bgs for the most iconic shots, add a few new ones, remix it so that it’s fresh for old players, has modern features like no random battles, and higher quality music. But instead Nomura goes all retarded over ambitious talking about how the remake needs to tie itself to a NEW GENERATION!!! and all this other crap when it’s a bloody remake as they spit on the face of fans of the original by not making it command based.

Meanwhile English speakers will never get a retranslation for the original like we should have because the original has awful translations like “clone” which completely convolute the plot but I’m pretty sure they’ll re-release FFI+II or IV for Switch for the billionth loving time. Meanwhile, again, all they had to do was make a loving REmake style remake for VII and release the poo poo in two, maybe three years. But nope, got to have ambition, and three parts, and remake it specifically for a generation that didn’t even grow up on it, and make the combat action-based and anything else I’m forgetting. I really don’t understand how Nomura still has a job there at this point and yet how Sakaguchi is still in limbo with the company.

I just don’t get it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 10, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good news the updates will also likely Kingdom Hearts everyones characters and cool fun cloud is loving dead

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

lobster22221 posted:

A lot of the company's problems come from giving developers who make one hit game an unlimited budget for their next game. Some people do better when working with modest budgets and team sizes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Phantasium posted:

yeah you have to be producing games at least as good as the third birthday to get on final fantasy

Worst birthday ever.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Himuro posted:

FF7 remake is probably the most pathetic thing. All they had to do was go the REmake route, do modern pre-rendered bgs for the most iconic shots, add a few new ones, remix it so that it’s fresh for old players, has modern features like no random battles, and higher quality music. But instead Nomura goes all retarded over ambitious talking about how the remake needs to tie itself to a NEW GENERATION!!! and all this other crap when it’s a bloody remake as they spit on the face of fans of the original by not making it command based.

Meanwhile English speakers will never get a retranslation for the original like we should have because the original has awful translations like “clone” which completely convolute the plot but I’m pretty sure they’ll re-release FFI+II or IV for Switch for the billionth loving time. Meanwhile, again, all they had to do was make a loving REmake style remake for VII and release the poo poo in two, maybe three years. But nope, got to have ambition, and three parts, and remake it specifically for a generation that didn’t even grow up on it, and make the combat action-based and anything else I’m forgetting. I really don’t understand how Nomura still has a job there at this point and yet how Sakaguchi is still in limbo with the company.

I just don’t get it.

Nice meltdown.

The FF7R is actually perfect right now. It’s a bizarre joke and reflection on how Square functions. When/if it gets released it’s just going to be another mediocre game based on something better.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
What would need to happen for you to consider it good then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
*boasts about being big FF fan who knows THE TRUTH*

*Doesn't realize Sakaguchi left Square Enix in 2003 to be millionaire with mobile game*

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I said nothing about “the truth?” Boasting? Terra Battle was over ten years after him leaving and it’s widely suggested he was in many ways forced out. What is wrong with you Tae? What stick is up your butt?

I just don’t get it. How can you take a beloved game people wanted remade for years and actually gently caress it up this much? I mean, I went in with extremely low expectations when it was announced because VII would have difficulties given its camp tone tied to a more realistic graphical style. But the way the remake is going is even worse than how I pictured them handling it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 10, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm going to have cloud eat doritos in the new game and it's going to rule

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

What about Mountain Dew?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Materia Dew quenches my thirst

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EmmyOk posted:

Big Boss better be the canonical inventor of Doritos in the FF7R universe so we can get some kind of FFX-FFVII-MGS-MonHun universe crossover abomination.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

Materia Dew quenches my thirst

But are you willing to kill the planet for it?

yes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Kingtheninja posted:

So I keep seeing guides mentioning Bartz/whoever utilizing rapidfire with spellblade and dual wield. How can I set him up to use all three of those abilities?

You should use Freelancer for this, once you master a different job Freelancer gets its passives. You can do it with Mime but Mime has crappy stats/ equip options for melee.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raxivace posted:

What's the max Evasion in FF2? Maria has "8 - 99%" now, it doesn't seem to be getting higher, and if I put armor on her it doesn't seem to fall now either. Am I good just equipping her with items normally for the rest of the game now?

EDIT: Aw never mind, I just realized the Thief's Gloves I have on her are raising her Evasion a bit anyways.

99% is the cap for evasion chance. Evasion level can probably go up to 16, but that's not even remotely reasonable. Besides, there are exactly two enemies in the entire game that have more than 8 physical hits, and one of them is a rare superboss, so congratulations on having a nearly invincible tank.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Himuro posted:

I just don’t get it.

It'll probably be fun idk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like I heard the planet cry, the planet's dying Cloud, when they said that the game would be episodic

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Having certain materia locked behind the FF7 phone app is some hot loving garbage though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you think about it the Lifestream and Cup Noodles are basically the same thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

If you think about it the Lifestream and Cup Noodles are basically the same thing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

mandatory lesbian posted:

presumably he lost contact with relm and that drove him to depression, thats what ive always assumed since shes the key to breaking him out of it

Coming in a page late for some Strago chat!

I like Strago's arc from hiding Thamasa's magical nature ("yes we can use magic, no that's not the most important thing") to fighting Kefka/Gestahl on the Floating Continent ("You can't just throw the goddesses out of whack and ruin the world for my grandchild") to whatever got him brainwashed ("Okay maybe magic IS the most important thing, fine I'll join the all-magic cult, that's all I have to offer anymore") to rekindling his passion upon seeing Relm alive, to revisiting an old hunting rivalry ("there's still life in me yet!"). I don't remember if he shows up in Shadow's flashbacks...

Auron WISHES he could become a cool senior citizen like Strago.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Himuro posted:

as they spit on the face of fans of the original by not making it command based.

Wasn't it like 2k pages ago in this thread when I brought up wanting to keep turnbased/atb combat in ff7r and got funny looks? Needless to say, I don't think people will agree with you that it's a slap to the face to change battle systems (I wouldn't agree with that either).

If you want to get mad about ff7r changes then w/e, but a lot of your post reads like the game is already bad when we know almost next to nothing about how it actually is. We have barely a handful of screenshots or footage with very sparse details, so I wouldn't agree with any premise that ff7r is already some big bomb.

The worst thing we can say is how it's taken a while, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily bad, even for square. Ff15 had a long and grueling development, and was clearly unfinished, but the game still was pretty okay and sold very well. Not an ideal path for any game* like ff7r, but not impossible to end up good.

*I do recognize that SE had financial troubles and other sources of income in this period, though it ended up fine enough I guess?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Strago's also the only senior citizen that's actually decent in battle. Tellah and TAY_Cid are both garbage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

EmmyOk posted:

One of the flaws in the XII guide I have is that the walkthrough is after the bestiary and a bunch of other chapters that accidentally spoil things for example showing Gabranth will be a guest, Vossler in the bestiary, showing all the summons and a few other things.

That's pretty clever of them, putting fake spoilers in so you don't know what's real and what isn't.

Mega64 posted:

They should've taken it one step farther and put the spoilery stuff on its own website.

And go one step lazier than PlayOnline and not even use their own website. "For more information on unlockables in the Bazaar, log on to https://www.gamefaqs.com"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What is it with people clinging to turn-based ATB battle systems like it's the One Ring.

The rest of the world moved on years ago friends.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What is it with people clinging to turn-based ATB battle systems like it's the One Ring.

The rest of the world moved on years ago friends.

I won't stand for this. prepare to die

*selects "Attack"*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

That's pretty clever of them, putting fake spoilers in so you don't know what's real and what isn't.

:confused:

It's actually a thing though? Right at the very end of the game but it does happen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sapozhnik posted:

:confused:

It's actually a thing though? Right at the very end of the game but it does happen.

Haha, oh right. It's so short and insignificant that I forgot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

99% is the cap for evasion chance. Evasion level can probably go up to 16, but that's not even remotely reasonable. Besides, there are exactly two enemies in the entire game that have more than 8 physical hits, and one of them is a rare superboss, so congratulations on having a nearly invincible tank.
Hell yeah this means Maria has achieved Ultra Instinct -Sign-.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyways while I would enjoy a remake of FF7 that's just the original game but prettier, I feel like that also is just an inherently less interesting direction to take the project than balancing new ideas and interpretations of what it means to be "FF7" with concepts that are still fundamentally recognized as being from the original game (Tone, character, theme, story, plot etc.).

Even if the new game ends up being a disaster, oh well. It's just a video game. The original version is still easily accessible. No crazed Moogle will break into your house and snap your PS1 discs in half, arrogantly laughing at you and then riding off on a Chocobo to their next victim.