Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Elyv posted:

Mini vs Larva was not a good series

Larva looked absolutely outclassed

Larva's an excellent player but Mini definitely had his number. Very sharp PvZ. If you like disintegrating Overlords, that was the series for you. 3-0, but I enjoyed watching the quality of Mini's play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Before this series, I had pretty much given up on the bottom of the bracket actually producing a watchable road to the finals. I still expect Flash to crush everybody but maybe we'll have some good games in there.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
god is dead

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Great games. ASL map pool all-kill.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Snow v. Flash
Snow was so consistent, while Flash eschewed defense in favor of pushes he couldn't sustain. That repeated reaver drop on Transistor was brutal. Flash's greatest hour was his recovery after the DTs on Sparkle, but I definitely think that the best man won. Fun series.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Snow vs Flash was incredible. Great set of games. :ck5:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Ro4 d1

I am just not a fan of Rain at all. He shows moments of pure brilliance in control, e.g. the shuttle save on sparkle, and then in the same series, you have just real boneheaded decisions/control issues. Like on gladiator, when he attacked up the ramp on the third into hydras/sunkens... I just have no idea why you'd send your templar up there to get vision for storms instead of the zealots. It seems like with no obs and that ramp, he probably should have attacked the 2nd base instead anyway. Or when he suicided all his corsairs on transistor for basically no reason. Could have still gotten value out of those things and just threw them away.

He has to be the worst professional toss I've seen when it comes to protecting his templar also. They are almost always just lagging behind his units when attacking across the map and easy to pick off because they're alone, or they're up at the front of his army during attacks, even in front of the zealots, getting eaten by lings or not morphing into archons for ????? reasons.

I'm also having a hard time deciding whether he's just real bad at protecting/positioning obs or if hero was just really good at sniping them. It felt like a consistent issue where he'd be running from lurkers because the obs he had were too far in the middle of the battle and getting picked off, either by hydras, scourge, or even his own storms (lol). On gladiator, hero was just really on top of getting the obs in particular, but it was an issue on transistor as well. Rain kind of got away with it a little because it felt like hero was consistently a few seconds late on burrowing his lurkers in battles, though, too.

I mean, Rain has really good macro and you can tell he has a pretty good game sense a lot of the time, like his attack decisions on transistor were just right on point. Attacking the right expansions at the right time to keep ahead on bases is a pretty good strategy against a macro zerg like hero, and he definitely had the economy to throw away those units in the 2nd attack on the 4th was a good move.

But, ugh, I just don't think we're going to get as good of a finals with him in it as we would have with hero, and it has nothing to do with pvp finals. We've had some great pvp matches on these maps this season.

edit to not be as negative:
I really liked his proxy gate on third world. That bought a ton of space and time, and threw off hero's expansion locations by a ton. If he could just fix the suicide stuff with the expensive units, I think he could be one of the best, but I just don't think he's quite there yet.

pyromance fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2018

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
So after missing the first bit of the tournament due to an extended work trip I finally managed to catch up (although I skipped all the Rapid games)

While I'm certainly not 100% sold on this map pool I have to say I enjoyed the majority of games I watched. Ro16 Group C brought the hype like the old times

As a Flash Fanboy I'm kinda sad that he got bumped out, but considering that Snow was one of the "this guy is so much better than his record suggests" dudes I'm pretty happy with it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ro. 4, Day 1:

Can't say that I was crazy about those games. Some great psi storms and scarabs, though. I'd love to see peak-era Jaedong on Sparkle... I never felt like Hero had a shot on it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This series has been all over the place. Some of the highest highs, some of the lowest lows... I think it's been pretty fun overall though, with its weird experimental maps. That being said, I'm a-okay if next season is some plain-rear end Circuit Breaker and Gladiator again.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This series has been all over the place. Some of the highest highs, some of the lowest lows... I think it's been pretty fun overall though, with its weird experimental maps. That being said, I'm a-okay if next season is some plain-rear end Circuit Breaker and Gladiator again.

I suppose the map pool did what it intended to do: eliminated Flash :cheeky:. The experimental maps seem to be wearing thin on everybody so in all likelihood I'm guessing it'll be standard maps next season.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

First semifinal was a bit forgettable. I just went back and caught up on Flash v Snow and that was an incredible series. Wild that even with this map pool Flash only barely lost his first TvP in 11 years. I'm glad Artosis suggested he should've gone for the base trade in set 5, I was wondering the same thing but I don't know that I've ever actually seen a basetrade work in BW.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Third world has led to some really cool games, gently caress sparkle though. Sparkle has been garbage since the first week or two.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH-BAxUuWkc

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I honestly thought Flash played subpar(by his own insane standards, obviously), and that he might have managed to eke out a win over Snow had he played better. The maps gave him a lower margin of error but it wasn't just the maps

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
It was a really good series, and I think it just shows that snow can't be underestimated in pvt. I mean, we had seen some of that before, but it feels like the gap between flash and the next 2 terran is bigger than the gap between the top and bottom of basically every other race.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think this series has been pretty great at letting some of the lesser-known/appreciated players get some limelight. A lot of the real big names have been absent or eliminated early this season. I've got a lot of respect for Snow and hope he goes on to win.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
guys i think terran is hosed in tvp now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFmZhrYxmw

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Iretep posted:

guys i think terran is hosed in tvp now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFmZhrYxmw

As if Arbiters weren't dangerous enough.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

As if Arbiters weren't dangerous enough.

It's possible they'll ban this glitch from tournament play like they do with others if it is too game breaking, but it might be too fiddly to pull off in a competitive game anyway.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Why does the archon fuse instantly? Does that matter?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Why does the archon fuse instantly? Does that matter?

he's probably just got the cwal cheat on to make the demo setup quicker

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Well that was a series of matches worth watching.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm gonna embed this for anyone too lazy find it themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAWKXw3n7C8

Because it's definetly worth watching.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ASL 3/4 match was quality Brood War.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

ASL 3/4 match was quality Brood War.
:drat: That 5th game was incredible. Maybe the most entertaining of the tournament.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

First game was super great too

DOA
Nov 17, 2016
ASL finals is live now, first game about to start

anyone watching?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Those were some hella mild finals.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mymla posted:

Those were some hella mild finals.

just PvP things

I felt like Snow was pretty outclassed mechanically; he had 1K+ minerals for a lot of g1 off of just 2 bases. In g4 when he was in the middle of dealing with crisis management he had a ton of idle probes at his secret third and you could see it in a few other points too

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Seeing Flash in the audience was weird.

PvP isn't the same beast as PvT, clearly. "Mild" is a good way of putting it. The 3/4 matches were way more entertaining.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Heard that the HD Thing goes on sale for $10 from time to time. Any idea when the next sale will be? I haven't played Blizzard games ever since the SC2 beta ended, so I don't know what their sale schedule is like.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the 3/4 match was more entertaining than the final, I thought. Those were some good matches whereas this final was kind of boring in comparison.

Did we have a lot of PvP this tournament? I'm having trouble recalling over the past couple months and if it was during seeding then I imagine a lot of those matches were over in under 10 minutes

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There was an above average amount of PvP in this tournament, which is unfortunate because it is the worst matchup in the game in my opinion. That said, Transistor might be the best PvP map I've ever seen so that was some consolation

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ZvZ knife fights don't do anything for me. PvP is a little more interesting, but not that great. TvT positioning battles, on the other hand, can be super cool to watch. There's nothing quite like them. Just my opinion, of course.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
zvz isn't even a knife fight it's some dude getting shanked in the shower

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
In terms of pure entertainment I think it's pvp > zvz, but zvz does have the advantage of being over far quicker.

Of course TvT master race

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PvP is almost as likely to be a BO win as a ZvZ, but PvP bo wins are boring while ZvZ bo wins have a bunch of neat ling micro. The reason I like Transistor in PvP is that everyone one gate expands on it so we're way more likely to get a real game, and PvP on the rare occasions that someone doesn't just die to goon/reaver or dts it's actually a solid matchup.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
PvP that goes to late game is pretty fun to watch unlike TvT which just gets dull and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Aces High posted:

the 3/4 match was more entertaining than the final, I thought. Those were some good matches whereas this final was kind of boring in comparison.

:agreed: that was one lacklustre final. Interesting venue though.

Also that frontal close up of the winner's lips kissing the see-through trophy was bizarre lol.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 3, 2018