Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Well it only took an entire day, but I got 1803 working. For some reason, the update completely hosed over my audio drivers and my mic was ridiculously quiet. I'm not sure what I did that fixed it, but some combination of installing the Realtek drivers (which made all 3d audio sound like it was underwater) uninstalling them, rolling back to before 1803, reinstalling 1803, and reinstalling the default Windows audio drivers appears to have fixed things.

Now if only Windows could pick a single visual style instead of having like 5 different variations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Another weird thing in Core Isolation Memory Integrity - I can enable it, but not disable it anymore after the patch.

The "learn more" links to a 404.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 6, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well it only took an entire day, but I got 1803 working. For some reason, the update completely hosed over my audio drivers and my mic was ridiculously quiet.

Wow, Microsoft really is embracing Linux these days..

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Last Chance posted:

Wow, Microsoft really is embracing Linux these days..

Except for the part where I had to reboot like 15 times.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Best tips for eliminating lag in the desktop?

This machine feels like it's using a spinny disk, not an NVME drive. Maybe not that badly, but there's a noticeable delay in opening, well, anything vs before the update.

This is a 6600K / 8GB / 960 Evo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This machine feels like it's using a spinny disk, not an NVME drive. Maybe not that badly, but there's a noticeable delay in opening, well, anything vs before the update.

disable defender and see if anything gets better

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Check Performance Monitor to see if you can see what's using your resources. Probably the disk tab.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It seems maybe Cortana is hungry for CPU cycles. 43 minutes CPU time out of 2 hours. It's now showing as a suspended process and the lag is gone, though. Bizarre.

Thank you folks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It seems maybe Cortana is hungry for CPU cycles. 43 minutes CPU time out of 2 hours. It's now showing as a suspended process and the lag is gone, though. Bizarre.

Thank you folks.

Indexing, perhaps. I don't have Cortana doing Cortana things, though, so I can't comment on what Cortana things might do to performance.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm thinking about killing her off too. I just really quite like the start menu. At least when the junk is removed (some of which got readded by the update, thanks MS).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm thinking about killing her off too. I just really quite like the start menu. At least when the junk is removed (some of which got readded by the update, thanks MS).

I have the (w10) start menu; I just don't have the speaking/listening/asking parts of Cortana enabled.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

astral posted:

I have the (w10) start menu; I just don't have the speaking/listening/asking parts of Cortana enabled.

Same. But it did eat a whole lot of CPU time anyway, maybe it is indexing like you mention.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

disable defender and see if anything gets better

In favor of Totally Legit Antivirus We Swear?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dont be mean to me posted:

In favor of Totally Legit Antivirus We Swear?

Probably in favour of seeing Defender is the culprit.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

With defender disabled, the second best performance boost to make win10 FEEL snappy is to go to Setting and search for "anim" and turn off windows animations. I guarantee that will fix a lot of the slowness your seeing. It will also have a great side effect of removing the default bullshit typing lag in Office products too... god drat it MS...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like disabling those too. I should check if it's reverted them with this update. Ty.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Slayerjerman posted:

With defender disabled, the second best performance boost to make win10 FEEL snappy is to go to Setting and search for "anim" and turn off windows animations. I guarantee that will fix a lot of the slowness your seeing. It will also have a great side effect of removing the default bullshit typing lag in Office products too... god drat it MS...

Is there a GPO to disable windows animations?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Is there a GPO to disable windows animations?

Not that I know of, maybe try Googling that. I think you can disable it via regedit, no clue about GPO.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I've done some research. No dice so far. Mostly just the first sign in animation and Windows 7 results.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Microsoft is going to enable UWP XAML in Win32/.NET/WPF applications, it's creatively called "UWP XAML Islands".

I sincerely hope this isn't just a loving remoting and/or OLE hack to host random UWP stuff within your app with tons of glue, but still isolated. Instead I hope, especially in the Win32 case, that you can finally spawn an immersive window outside the goddamn AppContainer at will.

They're going to demonstrate it tomorrow at Build.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Microsoft is going to enable UWP XAML in Win32/.NET/WPF applications, it's creatively called "UWP XAML Islands".

I sincerely hope this isn't just a loving remoting and/or OLE hack to host random UWP stuff within your app with tons of glue, but still isolated. Instead I hope, especially in the Win32 case, that you can finally spawn an immersive window outside the goddamn AppContainer at will.

They're going to demonstrate it tomorrow at Build.

MS dev tools are a shitshow at the moment. How they went from having a Framework that you install and, if it has the right version ( but these were quite well defined ) it works, to what they have now is something of an accomplishment.
Not dogfooding it to their main dev teams seems to have sealed the fate of the full .Net framework it seems. :( Which is a shame.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 7, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Anyone know when they are pushing out 1803 to regular users? I got some updates today but they're for 1709. I need to know beforehand so I can update my nvidia drivers, as due to their quality issues in the last several revisions that I've been reading, I'm still on one from last year.

I saw in the other thread that they're delaying 1803 for Intel SSD users, but not sure if that applies to me as I have a Samsung.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I had 1803 for 1-2 days. I manually used Check for Updates though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Good to know. I went ahead and updated my graphics drivers in case Update acquires it soon.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just told cortana 'make me a sandwich bitch' and it said NOPE.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

I just told cortana 'make me a sandwich bitch' and it said NOPE.

Good.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
don't be mean to me

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What'd be in a sandwich built by Microsoft anyway.

E - apart from tracking devices

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well that's unfair, it'd be mostly tracking devices. But it would come with a healthy dose of alcantara!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

What'd be in a sandwich built by Microsoft anyway.

E - apart from tracking devices

The sandwich ingredient selection UI is built with ribbon bars so you have lots of extra clicks for each ingredient, and the sandwich is delivered wrapped in UWP packaging which seems to take longer than usual to open.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
April Update actually installed successfully for my first time, with no major issues other than I had to uninstall a couple visualization tweakers that need to be updated for the new version. :toot:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Well this kind of rules

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mssecflt.sys

Is this something to be too worried about? Been dealing with a game crashing a lot lately and see a lot of this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Well this kind of rules

Someday, that bar is going to catch up with that slider. That'll be a great day.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there really no way to disable Bing/web searching in the start menu in 1803?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Is Chrome supposed to show up in the new timeline view?

I use it all the time but it's only there twice for me, once on the 3rd and once on the 5th. Surely it should either not show at all or work consistently?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Kind of a weird dumb little question, but does anyone know how I can force icon text to be white with a black outline? It's confusing because when I boot my computer up, the text on desktop icons are just purely black, which combined with my wallpaper is barely legible. But in the process of using my computer it switches to white with a black outline on its own? I'd like it to stay at that so I can actually read the icon text. Like I said it's just a little thing, but I can't seem to find a setting for this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Well this kind of rules

Yeah, that and Spatial Sound are some of the coolest features Windows 10 has added.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Well this kind of rules

Windows 10: Xeno’s update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wasn't this big update supposed to give you battery level readouts for Bluetooth devices? My new BT earphones don't have any battery info in Windows :(