Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Lol the Magicians characters being shitbirds is extremely book accurate. Quentin is the most aggravating series protagonist of any book series I have read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Expanse gets good after 4 episodes. I think it only has one bland character.

Having just started it, I think The Expanse was strong from the beginning. But that fourth episode was certainly a turning point and was dope as hell.

Season 2 has just been balls to the wall so far and I love it.

re: the characters I think Holden is probably the blandest, but he's at least that archetype written well. Naomi is probably the second blandest in terms of just being a typical sci fi character, but her actress is great. The cast in general tho is amazing and I appreciate how all the main characters kind of just feel like fully fleshed out, actual people out from the get go as they're introduced. Show's drat good.

e: also aghdashloo dropping f-bombs left and right gives me life

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spatula City posted:

Lol the Magicians characters being shitbirds is extremely book accurate. Quentin is the most aggravating series protagonist of any book series I have read.

I can't read anything by Lev Grossman after reading this douchey article

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1686204_1686305_1692236,00.html

quote:

Like a pebble that has been rounded over the centuries by the gentle splashing of the ocean waves, Halo 3 has become the perfect hardcore first-person combat simulator. By dint of painstaking labor on the part of its developer, Bungie, it has been refined over three installments to the point where it delivers only pure, unadulterated gaming bliss. Every combat is even-sided and complex and can be waged in multiple ways, using an arsenal of long- and short-range weapons, plus grenades and hand-to-hand moves. Every level is perfectly paced and balanced and graced with soaring architectural compositions. Plus it's graphically gorgeous. The epic storyline and the stirring score don't hurt either. In one of the greatest years video gaming has ever seen, Halo 3 is the very best of the bunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

Josh makes up for everyone else though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care how good a show is. If it's full of unlikable or bland characters I won't be able to get into it. Fringe, Expanse, Magicians...

The gently caress did you just say about Fringe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

The gently caress did you just say about Fringe?

Seriously, Walter Bishop might just be the most likeable character of the last 20 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Olivia sucks for the first 20 episodes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IRQ posted:

Everyone in the book was utterly unlikable too so, eh. At least in the show everyone is pretty, but I never started season 2.

I mostly enjoyed season 1. Some pacing issues but otherwise a good plot.

Its gone off the rails since.

Feels like the characters are in 3 different universes now (they are) so its hard to care about anything.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zaphod42 posted:

Didn't he already do that? I mean I guess the suicide thing is new but this feels pretty similar to The Invention Of Lying or whatever.

I didn't make that parallel before but you're pretty much right. This is just the basic premise of that movie when you boil down all the fat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bloody hell, i leave the internet for 24 hours and every one has fresh opinions. They're all wrong opinions too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fuuuuuck, this week's Legion.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

Fuuuuuck, this week's Legion.

I got dumped 2 days ago. Is it gonna make me be even more emotional?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

I got dumped 2 days ago. Is it gonna make me be even more emotional?

Yes... You'll be sad. But watching videos of talking parrots would probably be good to watch after it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Olivia sucks for the first 20 episodes

Yeah the two leads are a piece of cardboard and a sack of white bread. I hear she gets better later on, but gently caress sitting through 20 episodes of that and then still having to deal with the white bread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Bloody hell, i leave the internet for 24 hours and every one has fresh opinions. They're all wrong opinions too.

it's weird as hell to me to see people say The Expanse has boring characters :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

it's weird as hell to me to see people say The Expanse has boring characters :psyduck:

You're the only person who's used the word "boring" in like the last 6 pages of this thread at least. Nobody said boring.

Nobody called them boring. You didn't see that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why are you so pedantic

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care how good a show is. If it's full of unlikable or bland characters I won't be able to get into it. Fringe, Expanse, Magicians...

my bad, not "boring", but "unlikable or bland"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Knife or Death has been solved. The answer to completing the course is "be fat". The fish is loving evil though, I can't believe how many people can't cut through a fish.

e: weebo lady with a bastard sword lol

Grem fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 10, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Holden is like the definition of unlikeable and bland, every other character is good though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The rear end in a top hat Martian youngster that relayed the message reminds me of Ben Shapiro. Even he has more charisma than Holden.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Even before it ends I feel confident in saying The Americans is not only now my favourite show (other than Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is the greatest show of all, across all mediums ....) and also one of the best shows ever like top3 all shows.

e: Holden has a weird gormless Kit Harrington face and grimaces in amusing ways. he's cookie cutter but inoffensive. naomi is also p cookie cutter bland archetype but her actress owns bones

e2: amos is mai waifu

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 10, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one watching Dear White People season 2?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I watched it. I think the only one that talked about in the streaming thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved the movie but wasn’t so hot on season 1 of the show, unfortunately. Film was very cinematic and propulsive and then the show went all mumblecore with it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any spy thrilller dudes watching Deep State with Mark Strong?

It's pretty alright, bordering on good. May even move up to great if the next episode is a winner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix is doing an adaptation of Joe Hill and Stephen King's novella In the Tall Grass. Anyone read that one?

Also:
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/994562104538656768

I mostly remember SCTV as the crappier version of SNL that Comedy Central used to show on afternoons when I was in high school. But cool, Rick Moranis

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 10, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's anime-adjacent but I watched Aggretsuko on Netflix this week and it was exactly the kind of show I needed right now. It was very pleasant and I was quite happy with it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I recently had a conversation with someone about the last season of Scrubs. I know this is unsolicited, but I have to say as someone who went to medical school, I came away with a completely different viewpoint of that season. I know its a super niche audience, but man they nailed the portrayal of the characters. The older student/reformed gunner exactly matches up. The douche legacy student, even the naive country girl are all characters who I can instantly attach a name and face too. The season is good, but only if you are in a very small demographic, which makes it bad as a network TV show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

I recently had a conversation with someone about the last season of Scrubs. I know this is unsolicited, but I have to say as someone who went to medical school, I came away with a completely different viewpoint of that season. I know its a super niche audience, but man they nailed the portrayal of the characters. The older student/reformed gunner exactly matches up. The douche legacy student, even the naive country girl are all characters who I can instantly attach a name and face too. The season is good, but only if you are in a very small demographic, which makes it bad as a network TV show.
For all of Scrubs' many, many issues, I've consistently heard from people in the medical field that it gets a lot of details right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who knew being a doctor was so twee

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't read anything by Lev Grossman after reading this douchey article

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1686204_1686305_1692236,00.html

Ah yes, the height of perfection in an FPS...is on a console. :thunk:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rocksicles posted:

Any spy thrilller dudes watching Deep State with Mark Strong?

It's pretty alright, bordering on good. May even move up to great if the next episode is a winner.

Glad to hear positive things, it sounded like my kind of jam so the pilot episode is in my queue.

Arist posted:

It's anime-adjacent but I watched Aggretsuko on Netflix this week and it was exactly the kind of show I needed right now. It was very pleasant and I was quite happy with it.

I watched an episode the other day with the English subs on with English audio and wow is it a different show depending on what version you watch! I know anime subbing/dubbing is always contested, but this one had me surprised.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched an episode the other day with the English subs on with English audio and wow is it a different show depending on what version you watch! I know anime subbing/dubbing is always contested, but this one had me surprised.

Yeah, dubbing is generally about trying to convey the spirit of the characters and the scene rather than be literal nowadays, it's much better. I tend to listen to dubs because they have VAs I enjoy listening to, and Aggretsuko's dub is pretty good all around.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

Something tells me you don't need the world's most sophisticated content generation algorithm to know that anime and metal have a lot of crossover in their fanbases.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

My wife has been watching this show on Netflix called Dark Matter that has the most unlikeable cast of gigantic-chip-on-their-shoulder assholes I've ever seen. I just call it Space Dicks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

why are you so pedantic

my bad, not "boring", but "unlikable or bland"

In this case they aren't bland, they're unlikeable. Or the comment I made that that person was responding to called them assholes.

Context is important, goons.

I disagree on Expanse, but Magicians has rear end in a top hat characters I would never want anything to do with in real life. After 10 minutes with those people I'd go "gently caress them, I'm going to go study magic by myself"

Fringe had Walter who was amazing, and Lance Reddick is the loving man, but everybody else including Olivia and Peter were pretty drat boring.

Holden does suck, he's trying too hard to be Mr. Captain but he's just not. Everybody else is great though; Amos, Naomi, Alex, Chrisjen, Johnson, All people that I don't want to tear my eyes or ears our when watching.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

My wife has been watching this show on Netflix called Dark Matter that has the most unlikeable cast of gigantic-chip-on-their-shoulder assholes I've ever seen. I just call it Space Dicks.

Prepare your wife to be extremely annoyed by how the show ends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/994623337300086789

That's seven more seasons lol

For those of you that like to take a bit of action, I'm gonna set the O/U for number of episodes making it to air at 20 with:
3:1 odds it ends over some Harmon related bullshit
5:1 odds for Roiland bullshit
10:1 odds that some insane fans causes to end due to some sort of show inspired murder or terrorist plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like I'm going to die