Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

I think the implication is that you should't stop having kids until you hit menopause.

Isn't this that fundie sect that was on TLC a few years back? Arrowfull or something. IIRC the matriarch has spent more than half her life pregnant and a medical doc said that it was life threatening to get pregnant again because her lady parts could fallout or something.

Also iirc this was 2015 so the fundie parts of the regressive primary were trying to "holier than thou" each other with their defense of the incest pedo and Zodiac Killer did the only good thing he's ever done and cockblocked Huckleberry from the photoops with the arrowful family

e: tax later. this thread doesnt have a tax.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quiverfull, and yes there's a deranged religious sect that thinks we desperately need more people on the planet right now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Katt posted:

It does if you're Catholic.

Pull up a chair kiddos, and let me tell you about secret Catholic menstrual blood magic.

No I'm not just sharing my Bloodborne fanfiction gently caress you.

^ no, more specifically, they think that good evangelical Christian families need to have all of the babies to outbreed the baddies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Quiverfull, and yes there's a deranged religious sect that thinks we desperately need more people on the planet right now.

Specifically it was the Duggars who have like 20 children two of which sexually abused the others.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel so awful for Quiverfull family women. Imagine being born into that knowing that from the age of fifteen eighteen onwards you will be expected to give birth like ten times or your family will disown you.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I feel so awful for Quiverfull family women. Imagine being born into that knowing that from the age of fifteen eighteen onwards you will be expected to give birth like ten times or your family will disown you.

This is pretty much true of all women born into socially conservative religious households. They exist to make babies and serve as props, it's fuckin' lame.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't this that fundie sect that was on TLC a few years back? Arrowfull or something. IIRC the matriarch has spent more than half her life pregnant and a medical doc said that it was life threatening to get pregnant again because her lady parts could fallout or something.

Also iirc this was 2015 so the fundie parts of the regressive primary were trying to "holier than thou" each other with their defense of the incest pedo and Zodiac Killer did the only good thing he's ever done and cockblocked Huckleberry from the photoops with the arrowful family

e: tax later. this thread doesnt have a tax.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/category/quiverfull

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh and remember the blanket training.

Go on guess what you think it is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

yeah this poo poo is straight up child abuse. it's what you do when you want to purposely cripple a human and prevent them from ever maturing into a capable individual

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Well, more of a certain type of people. In a way it's the weird companion of certain supposed progressives who are very, very concerned about overpopulation but as soon as you scratch the surface their concerns are basically "Not enough of us, way too many of them".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes those people do exist, although it's important not to confuse them with people who want to target contraceptives, education, and women's rights at the areas where high birth rates, low secondary level education, and high gender inequality are the biggest problems.

Otherwise you quite rapidly get into "they're rolling out cholera vaccinations in the areas where cholera is the worst because Bill Gate$$$ wants to kill a third of the population for insane Bible reasons and make an all-white utopia" levels of glowing-light-brains-chart.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

Is this the thing that ended up killing a little boy because he was basically mummy wrapped for hours because he wouldn’t obey (because he was a loving toddler)?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Periods stop forever after you have a kid, it's just basic science.

The body has a way of getting rid of unwanted periods.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Is this the thing that ended up killing a little boy because he was basically mummy wrapped for hours because he wouldn’t obey (because he was a loving toddler)?
Blanket training in its best form is where you teach a kid to stay in a certain area, like a square blanket, during play by giving them small rewards to keep them active, and teaches patience.

It's also by one of those fundie weirdos who believe you can train children up like dogs by giving them a treat every 5 minutes they stay on the blanket, which is where it starts to get odd.

And in its worst form it's where you use corporal punishment if they leave the blanket. That's not an integral part of it, but given the sorts of people who like those 'training up children' guides...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

You might be confusing it with what I think is called attachment therapy where a child was killed by a "therapist" by wrapping her in a blanket as a way to fix her emotional problems as an adoptee.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

You might be confusing it with what I think is called attachment therapy where a child was killed by a "therapist" by wrapping her in a blanket as a way to fix her emotional problems as an adoptee.

That was it

The blanket training though :stare:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they sealed the kid up in a sack and then beat the sack with sticks to simulate birth and so make the adopted kid "legitimate" and the kid just died instead.

I remember they threw in a rope into the sack to symbolise the umbilical cord

or am I thinking of a different therapist with an alternative approach to troublesome kids?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My wife's sisters family is up to 7 and are going for "as many as God will give them" once the husband whined about liberals/planned parenthood and said "dont worry we will out-breed them" that is a real life quote. For real.

And no they dont feel Trumps lifetime of debauchery is a problem and people shouldnt concern themselves with politics and just follow the path that god set out for them. Which is real convenient.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Katt posted:

I thought they sealed the kid up in a sack and then beat the sack with sticks to simulate birth and so make the adopted kid "legitimate" and the kid just died instead.

I remember they threw in a rope into the sack to symbolise the umbilical cord

or am I thinking of a different therapist with an alternative approach to troublesome kids?

If I recall from my white-knuckled read of the article, they sat/laid on the child and told her to struggle out of the bag. And she asphyxiated.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

If I recall from my white-knuckled read of the article, they sat/laid on the child and told her to struggle out of the bag. And she asphyxiated.

Where do they even find this creative enthusiasm for child murder?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

My wife's sisters family is up to 7 and are going for "as many as God will give them" once the husband whined about liberals/planned parenthood and said "dont worry we will out-breed them" that is a real life quote. For real.

And no they dont feel Trumps lifetime of debauchery is a problem and people shouldnt concern themselves with politics and just follow the path that god set out for them. Which is real convenient.

once you have like 4+ kids in a typical nuclear familiy you remaining kids are pretty much ungovernable except via means which will guarantee they reject your ideology. unless you are a parenting genius. that's just too many kids for a husband/wife to raise

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

boner confessor posted:

once you have like 4+ kids in a typical nuclear familiy you remaining kids are pretty much ungovernable except via means which will guarantee they reject your ideology. unless you are a parenting genius. that's just too many kids for a husband/wife to raise

Almost universally at that point the parents are essentially forcing young children to do the work of secondary parents as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Playstation 4 posted:

Almost universally at that point the parents are essentially forcing young children to do the work of secondary parents as well.

100% accurate. And not ok. Poor oldest kid wanted to work with kids until she was 16. Now she's 18 and desperately want to go to college. Sad.

Not trump sad. Actual sad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Don't forget the verbal abuse as well!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Brawnfire posted:

Uhmm, pretty sure this is literally a CSI episode. Are we sure this happened?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

CSI plots are ripped from the headlines so...probably both?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Yes.

quote:

Following the script for that day's treatment, Candace was wrapped in a flannel sheet to simulate a womb and told to extricate herself from it, with the apparent expectation that the experience would help her "attach" to her adoptive mother. Four of the adults used their hands and feet to push on Candace's head, chest and 70-pound body to resist her attempts to free herself, while she complained, pleaded, and even screamed for help and air. Candace stated several times during the session that she was dying, to which Ponder responded, "You want to die? OK, then die. Go ahead, die right now".[1] Twenty minutes into the session, Candace had vomited and excreted inside of the sheet; she was nonetheless kept restrained within.[2]

Forty minutes into the session, Jeane asked Candace "Baby, do you want to be born?" Candace faintly responded "no"; this would ultimately be her last word. To this, Ponder replied, "Quitter, quitter, quitter, quitter! Quit, quit, quit, quit. She's a quitter!"[4] Jeane Newmaker, who said later she felt rejected by Candace's inability to be reborn, was asked by Watkins to leave the room, in order for Candace not to "pick up on (Jeane's) sorrow". Soon thereafter, Watkins requested the same of McDaniel and Brita St. Clair, leaving only herself and Ponder in the room with Candace. After talking for five minutes, the two unwrapped Candace and found that she was motionless, blue on the fingertips and lips, and not breathing. Upon seeing this, Watkins declared, "Oh there she is; she's sleeping in her vomit," whereupon the mother, who had been watching on a monitor in another room, rushed into the room, remarked on Candace's color, and began CPR while Watkins called 9-1-1. When paramedics arrived ten minutes later, McDaniel told them that Candace had been left alone for five minutes during a rebirthing session and was not breathing. The paramedics surmised that Candace had been unconscious and possibly not breathing for some time. Paramedics were able to restore the girl's pulse and she was flown by helicopter to a hospital in Denver; she was declared brain-dead the next day as a consequence of asphyxia.[1][3][5]

Really the entire practice is just overcomplicated child abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_therapy

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 9, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Burn this horrible country to the ground and salt the earth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wonder sometimes what it must be like wandering around without the faint perpetual awareness that something utterly horrific is happening right now to someone very much like you in a place very much like yours, precipitated solely by the active malice, passive ignorance, and systematized justifications for both, of the people who make up the society you live in.

Like, just imagine thinking the world is basically OK. What a weird idea.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Playstation 4 posted:

Oldest of 7. My dad lived 1000 miles away. My relationship with my mom is that of a bitter ex husband who hates her.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

There were four of us, and both my parents worked.

It...honestly worked fine? And none of us were really anything close to a third parent, since we were too close in age.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

I do wonder sometimes what it must be like wandering around without the faint perpetual awareness that something utterly horrific is happening right now to someone very much like you in a place very much like yours, precipitated solely by the active malice, passive ignorance, and systematized justifications for both, of the people who make up the society you live in.

Like, just imagine thinking the world is basically OK. What a weird idea.

Yeah, I can't even walk down the street without thinking, hey, any one of my neighbors could have people locked in the basement, or a kid in a closet or strapped to a chair, or any number of things. Anyplace I can't personally see into can and may very well be a prison of unending misery for someone, someone who is locked into themselves and wakes up each day to that reality. It's nice, very calming.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AnoHito posted:

It...honestly worked fine? And none of us were really anything close to a third parent, since we were too close in age.

That’s really not the same situation.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

Ask your oldest brother about that, methinks he had things he would have liked to do, but instead couldn't or had to drag the brood along.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It depends on the family. My wife is the third daughter out of four, yet ended up having to be the 'mom' of two of her siblings because they are disabled. She also had to be the translator for her immigrant parents to lawyers, EMT's, school officials, etc. Her oldest sister was apparently the favorite in the family and wasn't under any obligation along these lines.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tnega posted:

Ask your oldest brother about that, methinks he had things he would have liked to do, but instead couldn't or had to drag the brood along.

My oldest sibling pretty much just ignored the rest of us entirely. Like I barely even spoke with her until she went to college and suddenly decided she missed us all. The second oldest's only real interaction with us was playing videogames and pick-up football games with me and my other brother, which I'm fairly certain is normal for brothers to do together. He started also ignoring us entirely when he was around twelve.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Orange Devil posted:

Law and Order Prime.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

AnoHito posted:

My oldest sibling pretty much just ignored the rest of us entirely. Like I barely even spoke with her until she went to college and suddenly decided she missed us all. The second oldest's only real interaction with us was playing videogames and pick-up football games with me and my other brother, which I'm fairly certain is normal for brothers to do together. He started also ignoring us entirely when he was around twelve.

They didn't like you because you were a burden they never asked for and instead of hanging out with their friends they had to watch you.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Moral of the story: don’t have kids because you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bombadilillo posted:

Man will be shocked when his kids defect to the enemy.