Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You can pretty much see where MGSV development begins, when it’s released, and when Kojima is let go on the profits graph :laffo: I wonder if Sony is starting to regret giving him a blank check for Death Stranding yet? I know people love his games but jeez if you’re that much of a black hole on money for a single game it’s no wonder Konami jumped off making big games

Unlike Konami, I really don't think Sony care all that much if the game makes money and they can also afford to not care. For a company like Konami the amount Kojima was spending was a large percentage of what they had but fo Sony it's a drop in the bucket. I doubt Kojima has spent more than Naughty Dog, Guerilla or Santa Monica has, especially because he's using Guerilla's Horizon engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo announced that Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is coming to Nintendo Switch on August 28.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/994592992760619008

Double-crossed again

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

4k has become the new smart TV in that it's pretty much is the standard hardware-wise in newer mid-range tv's now, even if its actual utility is questionable

straight 1080p is only available in the cheapest models and tends to come with a lot of other faults besides

OLED is the new "why. why though" tier of television bells and whistles

I wasn't going to get an OLED while shopping but I work w/ LG at work so I got a huge discount on one of their OLEDs and it's real pretty.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For Konami wasn't that downturn in revenue from the Japanese Pachinko laws, and wasn't the subsequent uptick because of expanding health clubs? Kojima factored very little into their bottom line

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Konami also killed every single one of their franchises but I guess that pesky Kojima must have a hand on that too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't know if this is insightful or if it even matters, but I've noticed that your average gamer cares a lot more about the business side of their fave form of media than, say, your average cinephile or bookworm care about theirs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Weren't DC fans trying to sabotage the opening weekends of Marvel movies or something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nintendo being so uppity and secretive about poo poo until it's like 3 or 4 months from release is sometimes very cool. I remember MHXX getting a "no nothing" response from Nintendo/Capcom for ages and now even before E3 they just decided "yo whatup it drops in like 3 months PEACE" which is refreshing compared to "yeah we're working on Days Gone/FF7 Remake/Kingdom Hearts, stay tuned guys until 20XX"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the only challenges i gave myself with Bayonetta were to not get Stone Rank and to die in every level and so far, not doing super great

I see why people were yelling about instant death QTE's pages ago

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 10, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Don't know if this is insightful or if it even matters, but I've noticed that your average gamer cares a lot more about the business side of their fave form of media than, say, your average cinephile or bookworm care about theirs

I think they still care, but it takes on different forms. You'll have cinefiles who care about budgets and box office grosses, get annoyed when good business decisions like phasing out Blu-ray 3D are made, or they have a hard time getting their hands on certain niche films especially if they want to see it theatrically. With bookworms you have things like people obsessed with print runs or specific editions, annoyed book stores are dying, stuff like that.

Your "average" gamer is either mostly on a cell phone or only plays FIFA/Madden and Call of Duty and almost nothing else, and probably only cares as far as their Gamestop trade-in value is concerned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People hella cared that the new Star Wars only made a thousand bazillion dollars instead of two thousand bazillion dollars, etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

the only challenges i gave myself with Bayonetta were to not get Stone Rank and to die in every level and so far, not doing super great

I see why people were yelling about instant death QTE's pages ago

In some ways I like Bayo 1 more than 2, but those QTE's are super bad. I missed some platinum ranks entirely because of them last play through.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I enjoyed games more when I knew less about how they were made and the crazy people that get obsessed with them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Convex posted:

I enjoyed games more when I knew less about how they were made and the crazy people that get obsessed with them

Actually I appreciate games a lot more now that you get to see more of what goes into them from the development perspective. Anyone who has ever been involved with a creative endeavor whatsoever knows just how hard it is to make anything good and I think it's cool that many studios are a lot more open about their processes now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

univbee posted:

Your "average" gamer is either mostly on a cell phone or only plays FIFA/Madden and Call of Duty and almost nothing else, and probably only cares as far as their Gamestop trade-in value is concerned.
I feel this extremely isn't the case anymore. Yeah, people buy Madden and Call of Duty, but they also want more to do on their $400 box so they just buy games and check stuff out.

You saw people playing their DS in public whenever a new Pokemon game came out, and Pokemon Go shows how strongly Pokemon is embedded in the conscious of millennials. Nintendo has made their bones for the past ten years on building systems around the entire age spectrun. Plus everyone under 30 knows about Fortnite now. As generations progress, everyone plays games now.

Most people probably can't tell you who Satoru Iwata or Mark Cerny are, but if you own a console, you are probably playing more than one or two games

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only part of gaming business news I enjoy is reading about the latest labour abuses and saying "See, told you so" to no one in particular

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rarity posted:

The underground segments of Gears of War do a great job of emphasising how claustrophobic and isolating it feels and I found a bow that shoots grenades, which is pretty cool. We're now off to get a McGuffin that just happens to be at Marcus's old home which feels a bit convenient but sure, whatever

Yeah, the thing about Gears is that it did get copied a lot and it did get some silly sequels but there's a reason it was a phenomenon. That level of popularity doesn't come out of nowhere, you know?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Actually I appreciate games a lot more now that you get to see more of what goes into them from the development perspective. Anyone who has ever been involved with a creative endeavor whatsoever knows just how hard it is to make anything good and I think it's cool that many studios are a lot more open about their processes now.

me designing a game: Oh boy, I can't wait to begin!
*two weeks later*
MAJOR UPDATE I FINALLY IMPLEMENTED OPENING DOORS *door shoots off hinge*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Studios aren't really open about the process at all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of them have developer commentary

All games should be forced to have developer commentary

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i can be reached at gaben@valvesoftware.com

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

Studios aren't really open about the process at all

Yeah, you aren't going to go on Twitter and get live updates from your favorite grips and propmakers in the trenches of the next big movie.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You can pretty much see where MGSV development begins, when it’s released, and when Kojima is let go on the profits graph :laffo: I wonder if Sony is starting to regret giving him a blank check for Death Stranding yet? I know people love his games but jeez if you’re that much of a black hole on money for a single game it’s no wonder Konami jumped off making big games

What you're actually looking at is Konami selling off or consolidating nearly all their assets, killing their operating income as a result, then rising out on top again through gambling and entertainment making poo poo tons of money.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you're interested in in-depth dev poo poo then the NoClip series that Danny O'Dwyer does might be your poo poo. He did some excellent ones on Rocket League, DOOM, Witcher 3, Horizon, and so on. The development of DOOM was great because all the guys who worked on that game totally "get" it. The Rocket League one was hilarious for how 11th hour so much of it was and then they stumbled into pure gold.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

While true, I vastly prefer this to checkout aisle magazines full of articles about who CliffyB and Sid Meier are supposedly boning, or hot beach bod shots of Julie Uhrman.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I got an apartment today and feel painfully grown-up about it, I gotta play a lot of Dad of War in one sitting to make this better.

Photo mode is still gold

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dev diaries, GDC talks and documentaries like Noclip give a really intimate look into the process of making games that you don’t often see in other media. It’s an entertaining and common theme how many great games often come together at the absolute last minute.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nina posted:

I got an apartment today and feel painfully grown-up about it, I gotta play a lot of Dad of War in one sitting to make this better.

Photo mode is still gold

"Got" as in you own it? Grats, regardless.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Dev diaries, GDC talks and documentaries like Noclip give a really intimate look into the process of making games that you don’t often see in other media. It’s an entertaining and common theme how many great games often come together at the absolute last minute.

It's also a disturbing theme how many great games come together with the devs eating cardboard and working themselves to near death.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
knowing about game development is good because just letting the industry stay lovely is bad and supporting efforts to make it less lovely, is good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would argue that there's a lot of information about film production and the industry if you know where to look. But I will agree that the audience for games seems the least concerned or understanding that labor is required to create the products they consume. I'm just thinking to all the kickstarter backers that were scrutinizing financial breakdowns going, "how dare they use my money for food and rent"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

knowing about game development is good because just letting the industry stay lovely is bad and supporting efforts to make it less lovely, is good
yeah but to make a film analogy there's a world of difference between caring about harvey weinstein and caring about the box office. being interested in the people involved in the development of the media you consume is only natural, consumers shouldn't have any consideration for the capitalists though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I preferred Sonic when I didn't know people dress up as the characters and gently caress

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

I preferred Sonic when I didn't know people dress up as the characters and gently caress

Yeah but that's true of all fiction.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being aware of the realities of game development doesn't really matter if you don't actually make any effort to alter your consumer habits based on it. If people cared about the way EA treated their employees they wouldn't be raking in the cash. They only face real backlash when their greed fucks over the customer which makes people less inclined to support them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Being aware of the realities of game development doesn't really matter if you don't actually make any effort to alter your consumer habits based on it. If people cared about the way EA treated their employees they wouldn't be raking in the cash. They only face real backlash when their greed fucks over the customer which makes people less inclined to support them.

Voting with your wallet might make you feel better about yourself but it's ultimately an ineffective way of actually implementing change because 1) it offloads a widespread systemic issue onto the individual consumer and 2) everyone has their own arbitrary personal criteria for what's fair and what's not. You might think paid lootboxes are terrible along with millions of others, but as long as there's even a few whales out there willing to shell out thousands of dollars on those things then EA doesn't give a poo poo about you and won't change their practices. The responsibility of limiting abuses within the industry should lie within pro-labor solutions such as unionization and government regulation (lol but still).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but that's true of all fiction.

Not to that extent, I don't know of many Mario, Doom or Resident Evil themed gently caress parties. Sonic just seems to bring out the real weirdos

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Convex posted:

Doom themed gently caress parties.

This is how I get my lady friends in the mood.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't care about the sonic-themed sex parties because i'm never going to see one in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So I went to a Sonic-themed sex party... (Pages: 1234567... Last)

• Locked thread