Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJJQHF4tTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm drinking this right now :smug: If you've got a World Market store near you, they have it. I think outside of the US a couple other companies do too.

The great thing about Cost Plus World Market is in addition to Clearly Canadian, it's also the only place I've seen New York Seltzer as well, a late 80's/early 90's throwback as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

uli2000 posted:

The great thing about Cost Plus World Market is in addition to Clearly Canadian, it's also the only place I've seen New York Seltzer as well, a late 80's/early 90's throwback as well.

Holy crap, I forgot about New York Seltzer and now I miss it so much. Guess I gotta hit up cost plus tomorrow

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It's not seltzer though, it's just clear soda, much to my disappointment

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does anyone remember these delicious little sweet tart type candies blockbuster had? they were softer than sweet tarts

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
sure as poo poo remember catching bugs in those containers over recess

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Speaking of forgotten candies, when i was in elementary school only the coolest kids had Mad Candy.

It was exactly like Nerds, but it had little Mad comics and the opening was Alfred E. Neumann’s mouth.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Did someone say Blockbuster snacks??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remmeber buying bubble tape all the time

It was slightly better than the gum you got in a pack of garbage pale kids but still, not great.

The posts about Clearly Canadian reminded me of these.

I remember Orbitz being constantly promoted and given out. I was even on TV trying it out, TWICE. One of the hosts who talked to me about it said "these things are like corn, you're going to see it again".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Cramming an entire pouch of Big League Chew into my face was extremely 90s

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sex Hobbit posted:

Dang this hit me really freakin' hard. I now want one and I also know it will make my teeth hurt like a motherfucker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bobby Digital posted:

Cramming an entire pouch of Big League Chew into my face was extremely 90s

It was only later I discovered it was supposed to resemble chewing tobacco. But then in Canada, who did chaw? I literally never saw someone irl use it unti I was in my 20s and it was a toothless old man.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

The original Long, Loooong Maaaan

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

"these things are like corn, you're going to see it again".
:confuoot:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

twistedmentat posted:

It was only later I discovered it was supposed to resemble chewing tobacco. But then in Canada, who did chaw? I literally never saw someone irl use it unti I was in my 20s and it was a toothless old man.

The 90s is when baseball players stopped doing chew. Was almost traditional for them to sit other bench and dip.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Wacky Delly posted:

The 90s is when baseball players stopped doing chew. Was almost traditional for them to sit other bench and dip.

Big League Chew was invented in 1977 by Jim Bouton, MLB pitcher and noted author of Ball Four. They got it to market in 1980, and it's still sold today

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Does anyone remember these delicious little sweet tart type candies blockbuster had? they were softer than sweet tarts

Does anybody else think they've changed the recipe for sweet tarts/candy hearts? I remember semi-hard candies like this being slightly crunchy but chewable; now valentine heart candies and others like them are practically rock hard and almost break your drat teeth. I'm sure part of it is they're made overseas now and sitting on a container ship for six months ages them, but still.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Grassy Knowles posted:

Holy crap, I forgot about New York Seltzer and now I miss it so much. Guess I gotta hit up cost plus tomorrow

They sell those at a few of the gas stations near me. It's good, but nothing special.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wacky Delly posted:

Yea, I know I saw it in movies before then, but never was told what it was. Why i can only assume is that it wasn't really a thing in Canada. Though Dip got really popular among a certain segment of guys about 10 years ago until relatively recently.

Gross.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm in New England and the only place I've seen people dip was in the Army

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I saw it a lot more before vaping became popular. It was an socially "acceptable" nicotine delivery when somebody couldn't go out for a smoke break twice an hour, so they just kept an empty pop bottle nearby and spit oily vomit into that a few times a minute.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm in New England and the only place I've seen people dip was in the Army

I saw people dip in the parts of Maine that are practically the South. In Vermont a lot of kids still chew ungodly amounts of big league chew during little league games, or at least they did when I left a few years ago. I'll readily admit that Vermont still hasn't moved into the present in a lot of ways, it's still fairly easy to find things like zagnut bars that I haven't seen anywhere else.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Does anybody else think they've changed the recipe for sweet tarts/candy hearts? I remember semi-hard candies like this being slightly crunchy but chewable; now valentine heart candies and others like them are practically rock hard and almost break your drat teeth. I'm sure part of it is they're made overseas now and sitting on a container ship for six months ages them, but still.

Those candy hearts have always been different than sweet tarts. IIRC they're the same basic candy as necco wafers. You can tell because they're both terrible.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

The average laffy taffy is 7cm? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I can taste these in my head. My god, it's been 20 years but I can picture exactly how they taste. Down to the texture of the watermelon "seeds."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ryonguy posted:

I saw it a lot more before vaping became popular. It was an socially "acceptable" nicotine delivery when somebody couldn't go out for a smoke break twice an hour, so they just kept an empty pop bottle nearby and spit oily vomit into that a few times a minute.

Here in Appalachia people still dip but now you dip and vape/smoke at the same time

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not a huge candy fan but I remember chewable Spree's being hella good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Stexils posted:

Ithink that's inches :911:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Forget Laffy Taffy! This was the poo poo!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Smoking Crow posted:

Here in Appalachia people still dip but now you dip and vape/smoke at the same time

Come to Florida, ive had a coworker at a hotel front desk dip on shift and keep his gross cup of toxic drool on the desk

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Stexils posted:

Nice. :golfclap:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not a huge candy fan but I remember chewable Spree's being hella good.

I liked both types of sprees better than sweet tarts

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in an urban part of the midwest and dipped in high school (late 90s/early 2000s) because it was easier to trick store owners into selling it to you than cigarettes, also easier to do at school. I hope it's less popular now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

twistedmentat posted:

Their marketing for the Saturn was really weird too.
like wtf is most of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyv6ZehQyTQ
That dancing idiot is the most 90s thing ever. Also possibly the most punchable-looking thing ever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

When I was 20 I was working at a CVS, and I was also a giant stoner. We had like ten crates of these that got marked down to ten cents a piece and I hid all of them under the counter and just bought hundreds and hundreds and would just be high as gently caress at the counter, eating those by the barrelful. They were so weird with the like pop rock things in the middle of the taffy

ryonguy posted:

I think you're right. I used to love Sweet Tarts but now they're just really hard and lovely. The only candy I can think of that retained the old style are Cry Baby Tears (which I fuckin love and am eating right now).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Stexils posted:

It's cut like that so you can eat it easier!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dreadwroth posted:

Come to Florida, ive had a coworker at a hotel front desk dip on shift and keep his gross cup of toxic drool on the desk

That's just expected

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I work near Pittsburgh, and my cube neighbor constantly dips from 9-6 daily.

Multiple drool cups around, on some days.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My grandpa chews Redman. Growing up and seeing his spit cups and his lack of teeth was enough for me to say "nope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OH I WONDER WONDER WONDER WONDER
HOO!

WHAT'S IN A WONDERBALL?!