Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't checked yet, is it Virgil interviewing another niche local candidate that most of the audience can put zero investment in again or is it an actual episode with a guest that just blows

Its an old lady who survived cancer who wrote a book about how the medical industrial complex is bad without any real intriguing insight and she talks about that for an hour.

It's literally not worth the data on your cell phone plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

barbara ehrenreich rules, respect your (good) elders

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
maybe she should have said one drat interesting thing then

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spoeank posted:

maybe she should have said one drat interesting thing then

Sorry about your pudding brain

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Smart and good woman who has good ideas expresses none of them and monotonously rambles on about how positive vibes can't beat cancer and how we have a performative ritual surrounding labcoats that make us think doctors are smart (???) without providing any thought-provoking insight about anything while completely ignoring the hosts jokes to plug her new book

whoa sorry I'm not intellectual enough to understand why this isnt the thing I wanted to have in the pay feed for my comedy politics podcast

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

you know, after the 4th post im beginning to feel you didn't enjoy the episode

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

anyone who talks poo poo about mindfulness is ok in my book

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Smart and good woman who has good ideas expresses none of them and monotonously rambles on about how positive vibes can't beat cancer and how we have a performative ritual surrounding labcoats that make us think doctors are smart (???) without providing any thought-provoking insight about anything while completely ignoring the hosts jokes to plug her new book

whoa sorry I'm not intellectual enough to understand why this isnt the thing I wanted to have in the pay feed for my comedy politics podcast

maybe you should write a sternly worded letter to the manager

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

TetsuoTW posted:

maybe you should write a sternly worded letter to the manager

PFT posted:

contact the Podcast Bursar for your refund

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

As episodes they've done with older, less Online academics go, this didn't have anything as funny as Richard Wolff on Boss Baby, but it's a fine episode even if it definitely suffers from being a Skype session where there's less room to riff with the guest.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

interesting

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.
We had to read "Nickel and Dimed" as part of my 7th grade summer reading and I got through half of it before I had to put it down because Ehrenreich couldn't go a page without mentioning how hard it was to live as a poor person with a phD in biochemistry, and that none of her other friends with biochemistry degrees ever would think to go through this, and that she had a biochemistry phD, and oh I can't believe that me, someone with a phD in biochemistry, is buying beans from the grocery store

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

barbara ehrenreich rules, respect your (good) elders

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I very much doubt her ideas about what kinds of health care works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't heard this yet. is it Brandon Wardell levels of bad?!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't heard this yet. is it Brandon Wardell levels of bad?!

Nah, just kinda boring.

Hey, did you know you're going to die and nothing you do can stop that? This is a big revelation worth writing a book about. I toured the country telling people this, and you'd be surprised how many people don't know it.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The interview was boring and should have just been will trying to pronounce "vegeta" for an hour.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it was pretty bad, and I say this as a listener of The Dig.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gynocentric Regime posted:

a listener of The Dig.

:lol:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chexoid posted:

The interview was boring and should have just been will trying to pronounce "vegeta" for an hour.

It was almost the correct phonetic pronunciation of what ゲ sounds like

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Alex Jones giving his epic rant about how he eats meat because he's a man enters the teleporter pod with a depressed old woman who swears doctors are frauds because her grandma smoked like a chimney and lived to her 90s, barbara ehrenreich stumbles out the other end tiredly mumbling about how she eats butter because she's not going to live forever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Stuff like 'ya know mammograms and colonoscopies aren't even that helpful and doctors just wanna make money off them' isn't quite anti-vax level stupid but it's real close

e: the general idea that it's doctors making fat stacks off that stuff and not, ya know, the people actually in charge of hospitals and such, is pretty dumb too.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
“Doctors” is clearly being used as synecdoche for medical practice and industry as a whole.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Goddamn. Y’all must think “Old Man and the Sea” is about a guy fishing?

Read between the lines. An argument against universal healthcare is absolutely going to be about one’s need to take care of themselves, etc. Wellness is just another thing to point to as a personal failing. Hence why they bring it up in the context of productivity.

The mammograms and whatnot? She explicitly said that she’s at a point in her life where it would be silly in her eyes, and those resources would be better off on young people who need them. Although there is a range of maybe too young or too frequent, like she mentioned as well.

It was a great to hear her perspective, an older person who has had a near death experience, survived, and is at a point where death is acceptable. Compare that to someone like Peter Thiel who is insane about living longer. Guess who has more power in society and whose viewpoint is a problem. Millennials and Gen-X’ers need to or will have to have a conversation about euthanasia and what QoL looks like as we get older. Most 80+ year olds I’ve encountered... why the gently caress would I want to continue living? Why are all these resources being used on me??

It’s why she brought up the maternal death rate, decreasing life span, and the societal issues involved in those. All the resources being poured into keeping a blob of flesh and neurons going for another year or two instead of the people who will be around for decades.

I liked that it was honest in the perspective of social medicine. That these are issues and arguments that can and will come up. Remember, death panels are about your grandparents, but hey, if your grandpa is 85 and has badass cancer... maybe he should die.

EDIT: all of this is in support of a understanding we are likely going to start experiencing larger and more frequent resource scarcity in the decades to come. Why are we making people live as long as possible when we don’t have enough for everyone as is, they’ve taken their share of resources by virtue of living long, and there’s more people to come.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 10, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's not how that stuff works though?

Like, we use 'cops' to talk about the justice system because it's pretty much rotten from the beat cop to the AG but the medical shithead scale tends to be fairly pyramid shaped with the garbage piling up around the top and the base just kinda being people doing their job in a lovely system. When you say 'doctors' and talk about people deferring to 'white coats' and all that creates a very specific image that completely ignores the actual issue, which is exactly what the pharma companies and admins and all would love. If people assume their doctor is just trying to bilk them then they're more willing to listen to, say, TV ads saying 'no you need to DEMAND this drug or you'll loving die and if your doctor says no maybe he wants you to die that's hosed up isn't it' because hey, gently caress that guy right.

I mean yea I'm getting kinda anal here but that kinda talk genuinely bugs me because it's exactly how the people she has genuine beef with want the conversation framed, it's like the addiction poo poo suddenly focusing on doctors over prescribing pain killers because they're just crazy assholes on the take and not the companies that spend huge money killing non-addictive alternatives and creating a pain management monopoly centered around super addictive poo poo.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bernie: kill you're parents

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
anyone who runs on a platform less than literal Soylent Green is a coward

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

That's not how that stuff works though?

Like, we use 'cops' to talk about the justice system because it's pretty much rotten from the beat cop to the AG but the medical shithead scale tends to be fairly pyramid shaped with the garbage piling up around the top and the base just kinda being people doing their job in a lovely system. When you say 'doctors' and talk about people deferring to 'white coats' and all that creates a very specific image that completely ignores the actual issue, which is exactly what the pharma companies and admins and all would love. If people assume their doctor is just trying to bilk them then they're more willing to listen to, say, TV ads saying 'no you need to DEMAND this drug or you'll loving die and if your doctor says no maybe he wants you to die that's hosed up isn't it' because hey, gently caress that guy right.

I mean yea I'm getting kinda anal here but that kinda talk genuinely bugs me because it's exactly how the people she has genuine beef with want the conversation framed, it's like the addiction poo poo suddenly focusing on doctors over prescribing pain killers because they're just crazy assholes on the take and not the companies that spend huge money killing non-addictive alternatives and creating a pain management monopoly centered around super addictive poo poo.

The white coat point was more about perception and how we’ve built up this up image of a medical doctor and how its contrasted with healers, historically and culturally. White coats being used as a status symbol rather than for any function. I’m p sure I’ve read that the AMA lobbies against larger classes, etc for more medical doctors even though we’ll desperately need it. We have a shortage of GPs due to the incentives associated w specializing, most of which are in pursuit of lengthening lives which, again, reduces available resources.

I took it as a message that we need to acknowledge that it’s more accessible than doctors and the medical industry make it out to be.

Edit: increased exclusivity, etc keeps the resources for a certain group in our current system. We have an issue of access and that’s not just about going to the doctor but training new doctors and when we need to reduce or cutoff access for the greater food.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 10, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

The white coat point was more about perception and how we’ve built up this up image of a medical doctor and how its contrasted with healers, historically and culturally. White coats being used as a status symbol rather than for any function. I’m p sure I’ve read that the AMA lobbies against larger classes, etc for more medical doctors even though we’ll desperately need it. We have a shortage of GPs due to the incentives associated w specializing, most of which are in pursuit of lengthening lives which, again, reduces available resources.

I took it as a message that we need to acknowledge that it’s more accessible than doctors and the medical industry make it out to be.

yea to be clear I agree with like, 90% of her argument since it was just 'you probably should look into things and make informed choices and yes that includes respecting the choice of 'I'd actually like to die now' as valid'. I just kinda get my hackles up when I hear language like that from being around crazy 'aaaah don't listen to your doctor they're all in on the scam drink this tea instead' types most of my life.

The episode was pretty dull, though, but aside from that not near as bad as I thought.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*reads the last page of discussion* my butt stinks real bad rn

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

little munchkin posted:

*reads the last page of discussion* my butt stinks real bad rn

it's cancer, op

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also unless we're including climate disaster scenarios I don't think "lack of resources" is actually our issue at present.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bad news then

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Motto posted:

Also unless we're including climate disaster scenarios I don't think "lack of resources" is actually our issue at present.

Cape Town is literally running out of water. Climate disasters are going to continue in frequency and severity, as they have been for at least the last decade. And as the years stretch on, which kind of ties to the whole increasing longevity thing, it will get tighter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how do you not know who barbara ehrenreich is. nickel and dimed was a popular rear end book.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Groovelord Neato posted:

how do you not know who barbara ehrenreich is. nickel and dimed was a popular rear end book.

Yea I think I got assigned it in school ffs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have never read or heard of it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Episode owned, guest owned.

Its funny because Will even calls out how nerds will misinterpreted what she said to get offended and boy was he right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have never read or heard of it

if you're american that's p embarrassing. especially if you're the type of person that listens to a politics podcast. if a dirty foreigner GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you're american that's p embarrassing. especially if you're the type of person that listens to a politics podcast. if a dirty foreigner GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY.

I'm American but I don't read political books much.

It also came out when I was 9

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2018