Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
itll be easy guys, two weeks tops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nuclear War posted:

I swear I've seen articles about that joke of an exercise 'Milennium Challenge' posted like five times on facebook, and at least a couple on this forum to 'prove' how the US or Israel can't beat the Iranian military. Man do people misunderstand how exercises like that work, and what a tool that marine (?) general was being about it.

The Cold War thread is where that dead horse gets it's semiannual "nuh-uh!!/unh-huh!!" beating - but it happened within the last month, so you'll have to wait.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

I swear I've seen articles about that joke of an exercise 'Milennium Challenge' posted like five times on facebook, and at least a couple on this forum to 'prove' how the US or Israel can't beat the Iranian military. Man do people misunderstand how exercises like that work, and what a tool that marine (?) general was being about it.

are they allowed to talk about exercises like that?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

joat mon posted:

The Cold War thread is where that dead horse gets it's semiannual "nuh-uh!!/unh-huh!!" beating - but it happened within the last month, so you'll have to wait.

That AF analyst or whatever he is in the military history thread I think it was did a decent takedown of it too, and there's proper articles out there, as well as anyone who's been in the service for more than a year or two knows those exercises are system and organisational stress tests more than anything, not 'played to win'. I dunno, it just annoys me seeing ...well not tankies or whatever the Iranaboo equivalent is, but people feeling almost a kind of glee about hoping the US military gets a bloody nose somewhere. Those are real people who would get hurt or die if we got that that bloody nose. I'm sorry for bringing it up, I just hate thinking about people wanting guys who do what I used to do and may be called up to do again to die just because 'USA bad' or something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nuclear War posted:

That AF analyst or whatever he is in the military history thread I think it was did a decent takedown of it too, and there's proper articles out there, as well as anyone who's been in the service for more than a year or two knows those exercises are system and organisational stress tests more than anything, not 'played to win'. I dunno, it just annoys me seeing ...well not tankies or whatever the Iranaboo equivalent is, but people feeling almost a kind of glee about hoping the US military gets a bloody nose somewhere. Those are real people who would get hurt or die if we got that that bloody nose. I'm sorry for bringing it up, I just hate thinking about people wanting guys who do what I used to do and may be called up to do again to die just because 'USA bad' or something.

hey dude i used to think like that too, you know how i keep posting about how hated the US is around the world? i was full on like that in high school
but it's as i've gotten older and had contact with people in the US military via GiP that i've realised those are real people, they aren't faceless killing machines, and they hate being there as much as i hate them being there

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dead Reckoning is GiPs Kanye. Crazy, probably posted good once upon a while ago, and says racist idiot things.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

says racist idiot things.
Like what, specifically? I'm serious, you're not the first person on the forum to accuse me of being a racist, and I'm curious what exactly I said to get singled out as a racist in a forum that went through the "X CURES Y" name fad more or less without comment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

A lot more Iranians would die in any conflict. As usual those lives are not mentioned(in your post and in general). Guess they aren’t real people. If it was US conscripts it would be different, but it’s a volunteer force. Fear of economic problems or American deaths stopping a war is good.

Also ‘USA bad’ is pretty reasonable, they just pulled out of a nuclear deal on false pretenses that all other signatories and the secretary of defense believes the Iranians are obeying it as well.

The best thing about Trump is finally ripping off the mask of the Republican Party and of US foreign policy being about human rights, at all.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

People spend a lot of time arguing if the US would lose the invasion (it wouldn't) but what we should be focusing on is how we would 100%, unquestionably, absolutely lose the occupation, hard.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

but it's as i've gotten older and had contact with people in the US military via GiP that i've realised those are real people, they aren't faceless killing machines, and they hate being there as much as i hate them being there

real talk: as a non-american, GiP has had a non-trivial influence on the fact that I decided to write my Master's thesis on literature written by American Iraq War vets and how they challenge the popular ARE TROOPS-discourse & image of the American soldier in popular culture.

because I make bad life descisions, I'm also seriously considering applying for a PhD program and continue working on the subject there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

real talk: as a non-american, GiP has had a non-trivial influence on the fact that I decided to write my Master's thesis on literature written by American Iraq War vets and how they challenge the popular ARE TROOPS-discourse & image of the American soldier in popular culture.

because I make bad life descisions, I'm also seriously considering applying for a PhD program and continue working on the subject there

you really need to make mention of the semenal work "Military Members" by this very forum

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

you really need to make mention of the semenal work "Military Members" by this very forum

Link that poo poo, I've never even seen it. Shameful, I know :(

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Heh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

Link that poo poo, I've never even seen it. Shameful, I know :(

gently caress, i only have the hard copy, has anyone got a pdf of it?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I haven't seen any PDFs. I did just recently order a new book from AKpro, so there's that.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh dear god I hope so

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Someone writing their thesis on dick art would be peak GiP

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Someone writing their thesis on dick art would be peak GiP

GiP only believes in engineering degrees.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/994475859477082112?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All three of these idiots went to NK on their own. Two of them during Trumps presidency. I have little pity these people.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/994588126730272769

Can't wait for the post summit tweets praising Juche

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
2018 is the strangest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfA5tj8zseU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That sure is something.

I wasn't even aware they had a store site.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

All three of these idiots went to NK on their own. Two of them during Trumps presidency. I have little pity these people.

Really digging how the "Trump is a 137th dimensional chess mastermind for this prisoner release" right wing media narrative clashes with what they said about Obama. Probably something about selling white children into satanic sex cult slavery.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Last time Two Scoops brought someone home from Best Korea he was a vegetable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/994565340154621952

:stare:

Yup, pretty much that bad.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Ollie! For President! He'll get things done!
This song is still totally relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMP0FEz51U

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 10, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I predicted Traitor Boy would get a spot in the administration. Close enough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Man's off to a good start

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

I think I predicted Traitor Boy would get a spot in the administration. Close enough.

Yeah, they're part and parcel of the GOP in the exact same manner FN is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hell yeah let’s go full throttle Ollie.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/994594065919324160?s=21

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
all cops must hang

edit: it will need to be sturdy rope because lol that cop is fat as gently caress

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn cops.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I'm not sure what the legal term would be, but in a normal world that cop should go to jail over it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Greetings all!

If your name is Dead Reckoning and you post in this thread in the future, bad things will happen!

Same goes for posting about posting, ie commenting on DR's posting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/LeanneNaramore/status/994626363675103234

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Support are vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU