Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is this the right thread to complain that the replacement keyboard that you bought <6 months ago to replace your previous stock keyboard with 2 broken keys now itself has a broken key? Ugh gently caress am I just super unlucky with this keyboard lottery on my T460p or what? This is the only laptop I've ever owned where this has happened, and it's happened *twice* now. This is ridiculous.

The issue is specifically my backspace scissor mount on the side closer to me has disconnected. Now the key still technically actuates, but it is super mushy and I'm pretty sure it'll just break the top mount within a few days, too. Is there any way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Is the op up to date? I'm looking at getting a new laptop and wanting to spend around the $500 mark. I don't care about screen size. What I'm probably gonna use it for is to download notepad++ and make small websites mostly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

duck trucker posted:

Is the op up to date? I'm looking at getting a new laptop and wanting to spend around the $500 mark. I don't care about screen size. What I'm probably gonna use it for is to download notepad++ and make small websites mostly.

Get this, add an m.2 SSD and 4 GB of RAM and you'll come in under budget.

Alternately, this is that model's upgrade, which is a little more expensive for a slightly newer CPU (still only 2C4T, but with Turbo) that isn't a necessary upgrade especially for your use-case, and 6 GB of RAM which is more comfortable so you could likely do without a RAM upgrade to 8 GB. You still need to add an m.2 SSD though, and the RAM configuration is 2+4 GB so you'd have to discard/resell at least one of those modules if you did want to upgrade it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

duck trucker posted:

The cpu going in the laptop is newer, but generally the same advice applies. Intel hasn't made any groundbreaking improvements in the last 5 years and Thinkpad + XPS remain the best mid to high end general propose laptops available. Chromebooks are still awesome for the people who only need Chromebook capabilities.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What’s the advantage of an XPS vs any other kind of Dell? Is the body stronger like a Thinkpad? Better battery life? Higher frequency RAM?

I’m picking out a laptop for my brother as a graduation gift and I know I want a Kaby Lake R processor, SSD, and 1080p screen. Ideally I’d get 16GB of RAM and a platter drive too, but that seems to jack up the price quite a bit. I saw a refurbished XPS for $755 in Newegg, but it only had a 128GB SSD when there are much cheaper ones with 256, the same processor, and the same amount of RAM.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Mostly the form factor to my knowledge - light, thin bezels (so more screen size per laptop size), aluminum. Hopefully build quality comparable to the Latitude business line.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Yeah coming from MacBook pro you are going to want an XPS 13 or 15. Anything else would be a severe disappointment. Depending on how you configure the XPS 15, you can get something like 18 hours battery life.

There 13 can be had for under $999 if you are conservative with your upgrades.

What about this XPS 15?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...S4wfV19XX0%253D

I would upgrade the HD to an SSD for an extra $100, which would bring it to $1100. Any reason to do the 13 over this? The 13 would be this one at $1150:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop/dncwy607s

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 11, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably not the right forum to ask, but has anyone gone about repasting their laptops with liquid metal as per this LTT video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTsra-uLBI

It's May and my laptop is already starting to make the grumbly noises, and I'm thinking I should get a repaste done before the hot months hit.

Alternatively: any experience with Graphite TIM sheets, as per this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM

I'm looking at things, and I feel like I can do so much better than using my usual paste, GC-Extreme. Which is bound to be far and away better than the crap that Dell put in to start, but it's like:

* 73 W/m*K for Conductonaut
* 35 W/m*K for the IC Graphite
* 8.5 W/m*K for the GC-Extreme

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Better bust out the kapton tape. And make sure that stuff doesn't contact any aluminum.

if you're still just dumping heat into a HSF apparatus that can't dissipate it effectively into the ambient, a cooling pad would do just as well to cool everything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Mostly the form factor to my knowledge - light, thin bezels (so more screen size per laptop size), aluminum. Hopefully build quality comparable to the Latitude business line.

The XPS screens are unusually high Adobe RGB (97% ?) color coverage, plus they are all IPS by default.

Also the XPS has a pretty well thought-out design that's been through several iterations (5-8 years?) at this point and continues to be segment leader in build quality, battery life, keyboard, trackpad etc etc

Also it's super slim with the really tiny display bezel

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably not the right forum to ask, but has anyone gone about repasting their laptops with liquid metal as per this LTT video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTsra-uLBI

It's May and my laptop is already starting to make the grumbly noises, and I'm thinking I should get a repaste done before the hot months hit.

Alternatively: any experience with Graphite TIM sheets, as per this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM

I'm looking at things, and I feel like I can do so much better than using my usual paste, GC-Extreme. Which is bound to be far and away better than the crap that Dell put in to start, but it's like:

* 73 W/m*K for Conductonaut
* 35 W/m*K for the IC Graphite
* 8.5 W/m*K for the GC-Extreme

The graphite sheets seem to not be amazing performers. Check out NoteBookReview.com there's a huge thread, would link but have to run.

I've got LM on my GPU/CPU. It was really good at first but after a year my temps have climbed by 5 degrees and I'm not sure why, ambients remain roughly the same.

Definitely insulate with electrical tape or some kind of conformal coating, otherwise it's pretty simple.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The graphite sheets seem to not be amazing performers. Check out NoteBookReview.com there's a huge thread, would link but have to run.

I've got LM on my GPU/CPU. It was really good at first but after a year my temps have climbed by 5 degrees and I'm not sure why, ambients remain roughly the same.

Definitely insulate with electrical tape or some kind of conformal coating, otherwise it's pretty simple.

When you have a moment, how much did your temps drop from the stock paste? And is that 5 degrees Fahrenheit, or Celsius?

I'm just leery of doing liquid metal on my laptop as THE FIRST THING I DO WITH LIQUID METAL EVER, as opposed to a nice desktop chip I can ruin first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would this be a good choice for a general purpose laptop? It would be nice if there was room to add a 1TB either now or down the line, but I'm guessing the SSD is probably a 2.5.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would this be a good choice for a general purpose laptop? It would be nice if there was room to add a 1TB either now or down the line, but I'm guessing the SSD is probably a 2.5.

Missing a link, my dude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Missing a link, my dude.

Whoops, bad night.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834316369

There's also this MSI laptop on flash sale. Worth the extra $150 after rebate? He wants to be able to play stuff like Hearthstone and The Binding of Isaac, which the first one could easily do. But it does have a platter drive, but it also has a 128GB SSD rather than a 256, so it would be really tough to fit any real games on the SSD.

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16834154733?icid=WP_5_05092018

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 12, 2018

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Where is the best place to buy an X1 Carbon? I know I've seen people in this thread say not to purchase them new from Lenovo because they come with a hefty business tax. I ideally want one with the > 1080p screen resolution and a 4 core processor. I am assuming they are easily upgrade-able but if not 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd are mandatory. Should I be looking at the Lenovo refurb site or is there another good place to look out for a reasonable deal?

rally fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 12, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Hadlock posted:

The XPS screens are unusually high Adobe RGB (97% ?) color coverage, plus they are all IPS by default.

The 4K screen option maybe. Not so much the FHD anti-glare. Should be around 70% Adobe RGB when calibrated, which above average for this kind of screen.

Somehow Lenovo is able to build new Thinkpads with 4Ks, which can't cover 100% sRGB. I am impressed.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Looking for a laptop to play pubg ~$700 17inch screen is fine. Sad I mossed that energy flash deal.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fyallm posted:

Looking for a laptop to play pubg ~$700 17inch screen is fine. Sad I mossed that energy flash deal.

You don't really want a 17" display on a laptop. That aside, this is your best option in that price range.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Atomizer posted:

You don't really want a 17" display on a laptop. That aside, this is your best option in that price range.

Why not? I have a 17inch msi that I travel with weekly in addition to my work laptop. The laptop you linked looks like it will work for the person I was trying to help out, thanks

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When you have a moment, how much did your temps drop from the stock paste? And is that 5 degrees Fahrenheit, or Celsius?

I'm just leery of doing liquid metal on my laptop as THE FIRST THING I DO WITH LIQUID METAL EVER, as opposed to a nice desktop chip I can ruin first.

Celcius.

My temps dropped from 90-ish max on CPU to around 82-ish, and GPU dropped from 80-ish to 74-ish before's and after's tested with Firestrike loops and hour long BF1 sessions (which is the game that makes my laptop the hottest).

The actual noticable difference was fan noise since at 90c CPU the fans go 100% but in the mid-80s they are much quieter (still loud).

However, recently I've been noticing my CPU temps spiking up to 90 occasionally in BF1, and settling in the high 80s, and I'm not sure why. LM shouldn't degrade in as soon as a year and I haven't changed my fan curve or undervolt.

With LM and laptops, you really need to know if your heatsink makes good contact with the die because it's so thin and runny. It can't close a gap. For example, the Clevo high-end laptops are famous for having shoddy heatsink contact where LM is actually dangerous because turning the laptop on its side might mean it flows out. I'd research your model over on NBR and see if other people LM it or recommend it.

The general advice tends to be that LM on the GPU isn't necessary and presents needless extra risk, as pascal laptop GPU's don't benefit from it that much on account of being power limited.

Edit: Honestly, though, I definitely won't bother with LM on my next laptop and stick to a high quality paste. I don't think an extra 2 or 3c is worth the risk and worry.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 13, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fyallm posted:

Why not? I have a 17inch msi that I travel with weekly in addition to my work laptop. The laptop you linked looks like it will work for the person I was trying to help out, thanks

Just because larger laptops sacrifice the portability advantage mobile devices are supposed to have, and nowadays you can get plenty of performance in smaller-screen laptops. There's not really an advantage to having a huge laptop anymore (cooling solutions vary wildly, and you can use external storage and a larger external monitor if those are important.) I mean it's fine that you're comfortable lugging around two laptops, but most people don't want to deal with that.

Otherwise I didn't have a substitute 17" laptop to offer you with that same level of performance in the same price range. There's the Acer Helios 300 in both 15" and 17" configurations for comparison, but they're $1k+.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

However, recently I've been noticing my CPU temps spiking up to 90 occasionally in BF1, and settling in the high 80s, and I'm not sure why. LM shouldn't degrade in as soon as a year and I haven't changed my fan curve or undervolt.
If it's like every laptop I've ever owned, the air flow path is poorly designed (or well designed for planned obsolescence) such that the air intake clogs with dust somewhere inside the machine. A year is about the expected timeline for starting to get noticeably hotter due to collected dust.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Atomizer posted:

My Lenovo laptop fell a couple feet a week or two ago and is totally borked. Disassembled it and checked connections but no luck; assume some traces are cracked somewhere on the board.

My dad offered to buy me a new laptop and after a day of scouring the internet, I settled on that exact laptop. Reassuring to see it recommended here too.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

rally posted:

Where is the best place to buy an X1 Carbon? I know I've seen people in this thread say not to purchase them new from Lenovo because they come with a hefty business tax. I ideally want one with the > 1080p screen resolution and a 4 core processor. I am assuming they are easily upgrade-able but if not 16gb of ram and a 512gb ssd are mandatory. Should I be looking at the Lenovo refurb site or is there another good place to look out for a reasonable deal?

Very much interested in a response to this as well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

rally posted:

Isn't the X1C's ram soldered on? M.2 SSDs are usually swappable, at least.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So I've been tasked for find a laptop for the Field services manager at the company I work out. The guy climbs on roofs and towers all the time and needs a decent laptop that can stand Florida heat during the summer and can take a little beating. Big things he needs is a ethernet port and a good built in wifi since he conducts lots of wired/wireless speed tests.

Budget is not there for a toughbook, but are there any good, almost rugged laptops out there?

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinkpad T-Series holds several mil spec standard certifications including vibration dust humidity and temp

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TooLShack posted:

So I've been tasked for find a laptop for the Field services manager at the company I work out. The guy climbs on roofs and towers all the time and needs a decent laptop that can stand Florida heat during the summer and can take a little beating. Big things he needs is a ethernet port and a good built in wifi since he conducts lots of wired/wireless speed tests.

Budget is not there for a toughbook, but are there any good, almost rugged laptops out there?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/latitude-14-5414-laptop/xctol541414us

Latitude 14 Rugged starts at $1299. I'd bring it up to 8GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD, and the big battery which brings it up to just below $1500, and for that use it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to spec the outdoor readable screen which puts it around $1900.

Dual ethernet ports and a real hardware serial port should cover any normal field tech needs, there's a car charger available, it has a handle, etc. There's also an "Extreme" model available if you need something even sturdier.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Thanks guys, gonna order the dell for him!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The envy 13 that hp just announced with the mx150, is that pretty much the first in its class with the dgpu? Barring the Xiaomi etc

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

The envy 13 that hp just announced with the mx150, is that pretty much the first in its class with the dgpu? Barring the Xiaomi etc

The envy 13 with the 8250u and MX150 has been around for a while, hasn't it?

It uses the lower tdp MX150.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The envy 13 with the 8250u and MX150 has been around for a while, hasn't it?

It uses the lower tdp MX150.

oh maybe, i had it in my head that only the 15 inch envy had the mx150 :shrug:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Just a heads up: I've been waiting on a deal for an extra USB-C charger for my Dell XPS 13 (USB-PD 20V, 1.5A) and finally came across this today: AUKEY USB C Charger with 46W USB-C Power Delivery 3.0 & 5V/2.1A Ports USB Wall Charger. Reviews and product description say it works on Macbooks too. With the 25% off it comes to $26.25 and has an extra USB-A port for other stuff.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Nice find. I just bought an open-box XPS13, and I'm really liking it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I wonder what would happen if you plugged that into an XPS 15...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lowcrabdiet posted:

Just a heads up: I've been waiting on a deal for an extra USB-C charger for my Dell XPS 13 (USB-PD 20V, 1.5A) and finally came across this today: AUKEY USB C Charger with 46W USB-C Power Delivery 3.0 & 5V/2.1A Ports USB Wall Charger. Reviews and product description say it works on Macbooks too. With the 25% off it comes to $26.25 and has an extra USB-A port for other stuff.

ordered thanks

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thinking of grabbing this tomorrow:

https://m.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD%2b-(3200-x-1800).product.100351324.html

Any reason I shouldn’t? I’m coming from a MacBook Pro and use it for excel, Internet, PDF’s, and YouTube stuff.

Alternatively, any Lenovo’s under $1200 you would recommend? Bonus points if it’s available at Costco because I pretty much need one by Thursday.

This? https://m.costco.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T480-Business-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100405956.html

The Lenovo is $1199.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 16, 2018

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

nwin posted:

Thinking of grabbing this tomorrow:

https://m.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD%2b-(3200-x-1800).product.100351324.html

Any reason I shouldn’t? I’m coming from a MacBook Pro and use it for excel, Internet, PDF’s, and YouTube stuff.

Alternatively, any Lenovo’s under $1200 you would recommend? Bonus points if it’s available at Costco because I pretty much need one by Thursday.

This? https://m.costco.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T480-Business-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100405956.html

Can't see the price on the Thinkpad, but get the XPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PCjr sidecar posted:

Can't see the price on the Thinkpad, but get the XPS.

It's the same price as the XPS, so $1199.

Any main reasons why to get the Dell over the Lenovo? I've heard great things about the build quality on Thinkpads, and Reddit lists tons of problems with the XPS 9560, so I'm a little wary. Costco has a 90-day warranty and then extends the manufacturer warranty to 2 years total, so that's good to try it out, which is why I want to buy from them if possible. I could buy this computer as effectively a 90-day loaner while I shop around though.