Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Gonna make the declarative statement that Pink Diamond, in neither Diamond or Rose form, will not ever show up on this show in present day. Steven will never meet either of them, and he'll never tranform into them. I feel like that'd take away a lot of what Steven's story is.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Isn't it high time for a new thread title?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Steven Universe: Rose Quartz Did Nothing Right

(or whatever else)

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Macaluso posted:

Gonna make the declarative statement that Pink Diamond, in either Diamond or Rose form, will ever show up on this show in present day. Steven will never meet either of them, and he'll never tranform into them. I feel like that'd take away a lot of what Steven's story is.

I feel like it's likely that Steven gets poofed at some point and can talk to his mom's previous forms within his gem. Journey to the center of Pearl just showed us that all her previous forms are still around and it seems like when gems reform they layer up on top of their previous selves.

I can't imagine PD or Rose would reform instead of Steven, but based on what we know now I'd be very surprised if he doesn't ever go into his gem and meet his mom before the series wraps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I feel like it's likely that Steven gets poofed at some point and can talk to his mom's previous forms within his gem. Journey to the center of Pearl just showed us that all her previous forms are still around and it seems like when gems reform they layer up on top of their previous selves.

I can't imagine PD or Rose would reform instead of Steven, but based on what we know now I'd be very surprised if he doesn't ever go into his gem and meet his mom before the series wraps.

That might have been specific to Pearl. The first layer of Pearl says that she compartmentalizes the different parts of her mind for greater efficiency.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My prediction: Steven will at some point reform/shape change permanently into an older form that matches his emotional growth, and that form will have his gem orientation to be visibly a diamond

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pink Diamond reforms spontaneously, wearing the bloody tatters of Steven's remains and screaming, "I TOLD YOU WE COULDN'T BOTH EXIST!"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My prediction: Steven will at some point reform/shape change permanently into an older form that matches his emotional growth, and that form will have his gem orientation to be visibly a diamond

Honestly, this is almost certainly on the mark and I'm calling this as being true now.

We can probably also say it'll almost certainly mean he gets Lars style pink skin when he reforms, maybe he gets moderately taller as well.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

To go along with the small bit of disappointment of Steven being related to Gem Royalty, I remembered that he's also the son of a m/b/tr-illionaire.

I guess just having a character being related to an alien war criminal and not give them some good things with their life would be too cruel. :v:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Foglet posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Steven Universe: Rose Quartz Did Nothing Right

(or whatever else)

Steven Universe: Literally Every Second Is Foreshadowing

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Steven Universe Season 5: Diamante Rosa

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just remembered that Pearl never wants to shapeshift in the early episodes, despite Amethyst goading her into trying it.

Guess we now know why.

Ok, I honestly think people are reading a bit too much into this, Pink Diamond switching to Rose was a huge loving deal but it's hard for me to take that specifically as the one reason why Pearl hates shape-shifting. She was crying and everything at the time but the memory doesn't seem traumatic enough to scare her off of shapeshifting for the rest of existence. I think she's just so uptight, exact and set in her ways that shape-shifting is an intrinsically unpleasant experience for her in the same way she hates eating and always has been. Besides it's not like she hasn't regularly changed her clothing when the situation calls for it.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
I would think Steven would consciously choose to keep his Rose Quartz orientation to purposely identify more with his mom. The only reason to display his diamond nature would be to convince the other diamonds and homeworld gems of his true lineage, but that doesn’t feel like it would be true to Steven’s actual character. Rose is still his mom, Pink is just who his mom was in those grainy college photos from way back when. Also, it would be kind of a slap in the face to the other crystal gems.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

Blue Zircon’s files had extremely high quality, close-up pictures of Rose Quartz. Presumably Rose took them herself in a Peter Parker-esque stunt.

Rose Quartz is Newspaper Spider-Man.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWS2NVX6VP0

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

khwarezm posted:

doesn't seem traumatic enough

I dont think we’ve been watching the same show as you, dude.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Foglet posted:

(or whatever else)

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Steven Universe: The Terrible Secret of Space

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone else remember this in Three Gems and a Baby?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The TV IV > Steven Universe: I loving CALLED IT

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I dont think we’ve been watching the same show as you, dude.

PD didn't die then, they continued their relationship for thousands of years with this secret under their hat. In the moment its treated as a massive turning point but also as a chance for both of them to live together in true happiness. Pearl doesn't act at all like this is such a dreadful thing that she's too traumatized to ever shape-shift again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought Rose was Pink Diamond, as my post history indicates, but I thought they also might fake it out. Anyway.

Yellow diamond is military
Blue diamond is ecclesiastical
Which makes me assume White is straight up monarchical
As Pink appears to represent the artists/entertainers of court (even has an acrobatic style outfit and stupid jester shoes)

That’s sort of the major categories of court life, equal in necessity but not at all in importance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Imho I agree that Pearl was the biggest tell that Rose was PD. Too much wouldn’t make sense for her not to be.

I think the biggest outstanding mystery is WTF the temple is, and if it’s related to white being apparently cracked

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

khwarezm posted:

PD didn't die then, they continued their relationship for thousands of years with this secret under their hat. In the moment its treated as a massive turning point but also as a chance for both of them to live together in true happiness. Pearl doesn't act at all like this is such a dreadful thing that she's too traumatized to ever shape-shift again.

Maybe the faked death wasn't traumatic enough, but she may have regret over how everything else went from there. She got to be with her love, sure, but it also caused the Corruption to turn every Gem on the planet except the Crystal Gems (and Bismuth) into monsters. Helping Pink Diamond with her plan directly caused the current state of Homeworld and Earth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

Imho I agree that Pearl was the biggest tell that Rose was PD. Too much wouldn’t make sense for her not to be.

I think the biggest outstanding mystery is WTF the temple is, and if it’s related to white being apparently cracked

Is White cracked?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Iirc there are some hints to that I noticed in the show but it’s been too long to recall where

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, I'm not really much interested in Rose, whatever her plans or motivations are, because since she's only ever going to appear in the past, she doesn't really feel like a "real" character like the rest of them do. She doesn't have in the moment reactions, she only exists in important moments. I get the impression that she's a huge goof whenever she's not doing something important enough for a flashback, but we'll never really know. The new twist doesn't change much for the viewer, only the characters who were actually invested in Rose's anti-diamond stance, and even then she was clearly the most junior of the tetrarchy.

Which is why the important parts of this episode to me are Amethyst dealing with a phone and having the perfect reaction and Pearl's feelings and weird gem anatomy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The TV IV > Steven Universe: I loving CALLED IT

The TV IV > Steven Universe: YOU ALL BOUGHT IT!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
White is probably the biggest mystery now. We still don't know why she isn't considered an ally of blue/yellow. And why she seems so unbelievably enormous.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

khwarezm posted:

The act of her shapeshifting which shortly thereafter led to the deaths and corruption of untold numbers of gems on both sides? Yeah, that's not traumatic at all. It's almost like Pearl didn't develop these insane coping mechanisms to deal with all the pain that she's had to deal with originating in this single moment. Or the fact that in the end her undying devotion and sacrifice for Rose didn't even ultimately matter because Rose leaves her for Greg and then to become Steven.

This is a show where the characters are ALL fundamentally broken in some way, until Steven shows up and fixes them (either directly or indirectly).

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Speaking of Pearl's weird gem anatomy and travel through it, it really reminded me of the Xanth series I read as a kid. Princess/Sorceress Ida has a small moon orbiting her head, which 'contains every person who ever existed, exists, will exist, or might exist in Xanth. On each moon, near the center or the same location as Castle Roogna is another Princess Ida.

The Ida on Ptero has another moon, Pyramid,the next has Torus, who has Cone, who has Dumbbell and so on. This continues into infinity.'

The method of accessing Pearl in Pearl's pearl in Pearl's pearl ad infinitum seemed very similar to the method of travel between Ida's moons, in which the protagonists had to find the Ida on each moon to progress.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Taear posted:

White is probably the biggest mystery now. We still don't know why she isn't considered an ally of blue/yellow. And why she seems so unbelievably enormous.

White Diamond is secretly Onion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

I’ve got $10 on white being cracked

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

White Diamond is secretly Onion.

You jest but if they pull an Adventure Time move along the lines of Orgalorg inhabiting Gunther's head in this series, I'm blaming you personally.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

subpar anachronism posted:

Speaking of Pearl's weird gem anatomy and travel through it, it really reminded me of the Xanth series I read as a kid. Princess/Sorceress Ida has a small moon orbiting her head, which 'contains every person who ever existed, exists, will exist, or might exist in Xanth. On each moon, near the center or the same location as Castle Roogna is another Princess Ida.

The Ida on Ptero has another moon, Pyramid,the next has Torus, who has Cone, who has Dumbbell and so on. This continues into infinity.'

The method of accessing Pearl in Pearl's pearl in Pearl's pearl ad infinitum seemed very similar to the method of travel between Ida's moons, in which the protagonists had to find the Ida on each moon to progress.
I thought it was just referring to the way pearls develop layer by layer through stress.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Pick posted:

I’ve got $10 on white being cracked

I think that'd be a bit of a cheat. Lapis being cracked worked because she was never truly evil and her only really evil act, stealing the ocean, was because of the crack.

WD being cracked would smell of "Oh boy, everything is juuuuuuuust fine!" WD would at the very least need to be supremely angry at Pink for what she did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No I don’t think it makes her crazy or good it just sidelined her

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Caidin posted:

I thought it was just referring to the way pearls develop layer by layer through stress.

Multiple layers of nacre covering a central irritant. Boy, isn't that a metaphor for the episode.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
White was cracked and that's what is gonna get the Diamonds on Stevens side because he will show Pinks healing tears and fix her.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pearl is lesbian Shrek, she has layers

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Btw, if you haven't yet, go listen back to some of the older songs with this new perspective. Pearls song and the original ending theme especially are hosed up now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing that's amusing is we all thought Pearl was someone who left her diamond to start doing her own thing - but she never left her Diamond's side. She was loyal to her liege to the end, her Diamond however, was not loyal to her sisters.

also in "I love Both of You" I'd assumed that the colouration of Pearl and Greg's lighting was representative of Steven getting to Diamonds to talk to each other in the future, but I didn't take it far enough. The pink lighting isn't Rose Quartz's pink - in the same way as Greg is coloured like Yellow Diamond and Pearl is coloured like Blue Diamond, while having similar arguments about how they feel about someone's death (and it turns out its the same Gem that both pairs are arguing about), Steven is coloured like Pink Diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mle_1cIWYL0

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 10, 2018