Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i like the m16 since it wasnt appreciably nerfed by the changes so if you could shoot it before patch you can roll right with it. the m4 and scar cant really be shot the same as prepatch due to the recoil increases.

i tend to agree with elentor that the smgs are trap guns. you can wreck face with them more now and are probably good guns for newer players to lean on, but any good player is probably better off still using an AR.

i will say the enhanced ads move speed makes clearing around corners a lot nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Where do you go to check your PUBG rating?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jerkface posted:

i like the m16 since it wasnt appreciably nerfed by the changes so if you could shoot it before patch you can roll right with it. the m4 and scar cant really be shot the same as prepatch due to the recoil increases.

i tend to agree with elentor that the smgs are trap guns. you can wreck face with them more now and are probably good guns for newer players to lean on, but any good player is probably better off still using an AR.

i will say the enhanced ads move speed makes clearing around corners a lot nicer.

The distance shooting on the m16 feels nothing like it used to imo. I never really used it much as a main unless I had to. I just feel like they turned it into what the AK used to be: something great for close range but awful distance, but there are a ton of other guns ALSO good for close range. M4/SCAR are definitely tougher to handle, especially stock. Fully loaded helps a ton, but the m4 is nowhere near the laser it used to be.

SMG's are total trap guns. Sure they are lasers, but the damage still isn't there for me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Probably 15/20 of my last kills have been with the Uzi. Nobody expects you to actually switch weapons and close gaps in a fight. It out damages ars every time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

hawowanlawow posted:

Probably 15/20 of my last kills have been with the Uzi. Nobody expects you to actually switch weapons and close gaps in a fight. It out damages ars every time.

Everyone should always expect people to close gaps in a fight and the last part is just entirely untrue unless you are a god and literally never miss a bullet and are only aiming for the chest (and even then, AR's are better). The uzi does garbage damage to the head.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2018

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
One thing to remember is that while the UMP is going to lose in a straight up fight to an AR, if you're not hitting headshots the TTK is closer than you'd think. Especially the moment arm shots come into play the UMP actually has a faster TTK than the M4. Don't discount the accuracy either, it doesn't take much to close the gap between ARs and SMGs.

https://battlegrounds.party/weapons/?weapon=UMP9&armor=2&helmet=2&distance=10&htk=ttk&pel=true

And though it's hard to find, the Vector is a close range monster that kills faster than any AR by far.

The biggest drawback to SMGs is the short effective range, you have to carry something else along with them if you want to fight effectively past 50-75m.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Everyone should always expect people to close gaps in a fight and the last part is just entirely untrue unless you are a god and literally never miss a bullet and are only aiming for the chest (and even then, AR's are better). The uzi does garbage damage to the head.

I just told you what has been happening, it's not up for fuckin debate lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

hawowanlawow posted:

I just told you what has been happening, it's not up for fuckin debate lol

"What's happening to me" and "actual facts" are entirely different things.

You stated the uzi out damages AR's every time. That's just entirely untrue. It's not up for fuckin debate lol.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
It's not up for debate said the man in the forum.

Edit: Content:

The M16 used to be my favorite weapon in the game. I got one of my best wins ever (last one left in my squad against 15 and killing like 8) running dual M16 pre-1.0 but now I'll take pretty much anything over one. How the mighty have fallen.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 10, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

willroc7 posted:

The M16 used to be my favorite weapon in the game. I got one of my best wins ever (last one left in my squad against 15 and killing like 8) running dual M16 pre-1.0 but now I'll take pretty much anything over one. How the mighty have fallen.

I absolutely loved it long range with a 4x. It was a laser with not a lot of recoil for me. I would take it until I found my kar98. Now, with the kar98 buff and whatever the hell they did to the m16, I don't touch it ever either. RIP.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Right before the Mini came out the M16 was the god gun, by far the best tap fire weapon and the recoil on the burst was low enough that it was a beast at close range. It's sad how much it has been nerfed, especially this last one, as now it's by far the worst AR and the only reason you ever pick one up is because you have not found anything else.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Click Career. There are separate ratings for the different modes so make sure you check the ones you play most often.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did they also buff the mini?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

SalTheBard posted:

https://pubg.op.gg/

Much easier than doing it in-game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

willroc7 posted:

What frustrates me is how predictable this result was back when they just announced that they were going to be tweaking the meta. I've never ever seen a developer's attempt to 'balance the weapons' ever work. It just changes the meta where now instead of gun A being preferred now it's gun B. Just accept that there's a meta and carefully nerf certain weapons if they are game-breakingly overpowered. All they've managed to accomplish is making their players re-learn the fundamentals for no real gain.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'm a fairly garbage player, but felt fairly confident when spraying ARs. Now I've been running ump and AK with a 4x, and the ump just feels so good. But I always liked it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rex-Goliath posted:

What frustrates me is how predictable this result was back when they just announced that they were going to be tweaking the meta. I've never ever seen a developer's attempt to 'balance the weapons' ever work. It just changes the meta where now instead of gun A being preferred now it's gun B. Just accept that there's a meta and carefully nerf certain weapons if they are game-breakingly overpowered. All they've managed to accomplish is making their players re-learn the fundamentals for no real gain.

Bluehole are kind of dumb at game balance. The M4 was pretty good, and kitted out it was better than every AR but the Groza, and that's probably not great. They could have just buffed the non-M4 ARs instead of what they ended up doing. They brought the AUG up to its current level befitting a crate weapon; they could have avoided nerfing the Groza into the ground since it's kind of crap for a crate weapon. The AK is in a good spot now. If they'd buffed the M16 and SCAR instead of nerfing them, and if they'd kept the kitted M4 as an effective, controllable weapon, they could have actually achieved game balance. Instead the M16 is basically pointless outside the early game, the recoil on the M4 makes it just kind of unreliable past the same range an AK becomes unreliable, which is kind of a joke. It just seems like it wasn't tested enough, which makes sense because they put stuff on the test server, gathered feedback, and then changed a huge amount of stuff and pushed it straight to live.

Has anyone here autofired the Glock since the patch? I thought the weird recoil effect was a bug in the test server but nope apparently they intended the glock to kick up at a 45 degree angle when it gets fired.

Also all their grip additions and changes are bizarre and are probably in an unfinished state that were rushed onto the live servers for internal reasons.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rex-Goliath posted:

It's unfortunate that when a gun is too strong, instead of nerfing it in one dimension, they do it in multiple ways and over shoot dramatically. Would it really kill them to nerf it just a little, and then check the numbers after another week or two and adjust again if need be? This is like an ongoing thing for tons of online games, heavy handed tweaks when a soft touch would most likely be better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They also made a bunch of changes to test server, let it sit for a week, and then released COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHANGES to prod. like what?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've been surprised at some of the ranges I have been able to burst people down with a kitted out vector.

Dangerllama posted:

My rating is 1756. Says I'm in the top 15%

For reference I'm sitting at 1781 and in the top 8.9%. Pretty large % gap for relatively small rating gap.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ratings are compressed and they suck now. The ranking system of this game is totally broken at this point. There's also very little matchmaking because of the compression, I'm 99% sure that they did not account for it in the matchmaking algorithm.

Jerkface posted:

They also made a bunch of changes to test server, let it sit for a week, and then released COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHANGES to prod. like what?

Yeah the literally completely untested tuning pass was a crazy thing to do.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Soarer posted:

For reference I'm sitting at 1781 and in the top 8.9%. Pretty large % gap for relatively small rating gap.

They massively compressed the rating scale for inscrutable reasons. Standard bluehole.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's unfortunate that when a gun is too strong, instead of nerfing it in one dimension, they do it in multiple ways and over shoot dramatically. Would it really kill them to nerf it just a little, and then check the numbers after another week or two and adjust again if need be? This is like an ongoing thing for tons of online games, heavy handed tweaks when a soft touch would most likely be better.

They have to appease the anger machine on reddit, if they do small changes they just get a tonne of people bitching it isn't enough before they've even played with the changes. Happens all the time with Riot, they know exactly how their game balance works, and them buffing/nerfing stuff by just a few damage points can have a real big effect on winrates, but the reddit horde goes ballstic every time. PUBG corp has obviously had a directive to take reddit seriously, with all the community managers they've employed to post on reddit, and r/pubattlegrounds has been non stop crying for months.

I feel kinda bad for those community managers, their job is to deal with angry nerds with soccer mum entitlement issues.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember when Riot said they had nerfed something (Udyr I believe) and the nerf was perceived as champion-ruining but never went through. The placebo effect took his win rate from positive to negative.

The balance was inside you all along.

Edit: Had 5 matches ending up in military base (both maps) in a row. I had literally never seen a match end in Campo Militar until that. I'll shrug it off as a statistical anomaly but this game sometimes.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 11, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

yeah exactly. the m4 being strong wasn’t ruining the game at all- just making the end game a bit predictable.

i still think the answer was to nerf its muzzle velocity- at least at first. make it the lowest velocity gun- slower than the ak- so that it shreds at close and medium range but falls apart further than that. it’s now no longer an ‘everything’ gun which was the point of this exercise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

underage at the vape shop posted:

They have to appease the anger machine on reddit, if they do small changes they just get a tonne of people bitching it isn't enough before they've even played with the changes. Happens all the time with Riot, they know exactly how their game balance works, and them buffing/nerfing stuff by just a few damage points can have a real big effect on winrates, but the reddit horde goes ballstic every time. PUBG corp has obviously had a directive to take reddit seriously, with all the community managers they've employed to post on reddit, and r/pubattlegrounds has been non stop crying for months.

I feel kinda bad for those community managers, their job is to deal with angry nerds with soccer mum entitlement issues.

The Reddit anger machine hates you if you change things.

The Reddit anger machine hates you if you don't change things.

Nothing will appease the Reddit anger machine. Ever.

In the case of League though a lot of the hate boiled down to "bloo a bloo a bloo you fixed the horribly unbalanced thing I was abusing for easy wins." The angriest voices are usually the loudest ones. That particular sector makes up a pretty small minority of people who actually play games. Granted in the case of MOBAs the communities overall tend to be so horribly toxic it blows my mind that anybody wants to make games for them at all. At least with PUBG you can just queue up and ignore everybody else.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/8iercr/final_circle_heatmaps_from_about_9_000_games/ somewhat amusing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Elentor posted:

I remember when Riot said they had nerfed something (Udyr I believe) and the nerf was perceived as champion-ruining but never went through. The placebo effect took his win rate from positive to negative.

Yep or when valve announced that they were making a change to tf2 and everyone bitched up a storm about how it would ruin the game. then they revealed that they’d already implemented the change weeks ago and no one noticed.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I will say that nerfing the mid range spray downs with ARs was probably a needed change, though. Sorry M4 lovers. The M16 does feel gross now, though.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Elentor posted:

Edit: Had 5 matches ending up in military base (both maps) in a row. I had literally never seen a match end in Campo Militar until that. I'll shrug it off as a statistical anomaly but this game sometimes.

my favourite was when they nerfed kayle's q that time and r/leagueoflegends absolutely melted down for a fortnight. The end result was a .4% reduction in winrate.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So the experimental map is up again. Not sure what kind of bug I just discovered - also not sure if the guy was aimhacking or not.

* How does he float off the ground, is he riding an invisible bike?
* How does his helmet suddenly appear when he passes behind the rock?

I spectated him for a bit after this and he appeared to be running normally, with footsteps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNADPuhNYRo&t=22s

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

* How does he float off the ground, is he riding an invisible bike?

-PUBG.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

* How does his helmet suddenly appear when he passes behind the rock?

The helmet was there all along? :iiam:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cyanidewolf posted:

The helmet was there all along? :iiam:

Oh, drat, it was! I was sure I was seeing his ponytail, but it was the stock of his other gun! Thanks for pointing that out, I thought I was going crazy...

Watching the replay, he seemed to be running normally down the hill - except everyone seems to be flickering in and out of existence in the replays right now.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 11, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I haven't played since a few days after the big patch got released.

Trying to relearn how to control an AR at the same time as getting lumped in with people vastly better than me did nothing but leave me pissed off (whereas in previous seasons I always enjoyed the matchmaking that happened after a reset).

I think my max kills after the patch was 4 and most games it was 0 or 1. I felt like I had just bought the game for the first time and gone in with no idea how to play.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
If you are still having a hard time figuring out the 3x and 6x scopes it could be because not only are they set to default sensitivity, but they have probably reverted to default sensitivity after you closed the game.

Right now I can set it during a session, but it doesn't save. Anyone else having the same issue?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Slim Mat posted:

If you are still having a hard time figuring out the 3x and 6x scopes it could be because not only are they set to default sensitivity, but they have probably reverted to default sensitivity after you closed the game.

Right now I can set it during a session, but it doesn't save. Anyone else having the same issue?

I am having the same issue. I am also having a weird issue where my GPU driver seemingly reverts and when I open PUBG it tells me DX10 needs to be installed. All I do is restart and it's fixed... but... what the hell. It's done that 4 times now in the last week.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I never adjust the sensitivity on my scopes because as soon as I do it takes me too long (more than 1 enemy encounter) to get used to it and I get mad and say "gently caress this poo poo".

I haven't actually had a problem with matchmaking since the update...in fact I feel like I'm doing way better than I ever did before.

However, now that I say that I go back and look and last season I was in the top .650% and now I'm in the top 2.231%, so...

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Slim Mat posted:

If you ever did any .ini file tweaks your GameUserSettings.ini file is probably set to Read-Only, so your changes aren't being persisted after you close the game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JFC they should rename it to Playerunknown's: Update Required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dangerllama posted:

JFC they should rename it to Playerunknown's: Update Required.

the small updates you see are part of the anti-cheat

edit: if it really bothers you, you can set the game to only update when you launch it so you get to do it all at once instead of multiple times over a few days

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 12, 2018