Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i don't care about the sonic-themed sex parties because i'm never going to see one in my life
don't give up hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/hastapura/status/994338369630035969?s=19

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

don't give up hope

it's on the bottom of my sex party list

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For me it probably looks like Kirby > Zelda > Metroid > Mario > Sonic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool that every time i close spelunky steam decides that, no, it's actually still running even though there aren't any lingering processes to make it think that in the first place

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Internet Kraken posted:

Being aware of the realities of game development doesn't really matter if you don't actually make any effort to alter your consumer habits based on it. If people cared about the way EA treated their employees they wouldn't be raking in the cash. They only face real backlash when their greed fucks over the customer which makes people less inclined to support them.

*SonicCapitalism.jpg*

The Colonel posted:

it's on the bottom of my sex party list

Come on, live a little

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Convex posted:

Not to that extent, I don't know of many Mario, Doom or Resident Evil themed gently caress parties. Sonic just seems to bring out the real weirdos
The lady who was the model for Jill Valentine in REmake specifically has done sexy cosplays as Jill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

The lady who was the model for Jill Valentine in REmake specifically has done sexy cosplays as Jill.

something something jill sandwich

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was having a good run of spelunky and then i got a dark floor and an arrow trap knocked me off of the starting platform and bounced off a wall and back onto me when i hit the ground

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unused Piano Man lyrics?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought I was going to a Sonic sex party but it ended up being a sex party at a Sonic. It killed my boner.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/994639425765347333?s=19

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

I thought I was going to a Sonic sex party but it ended up being a sex party at a Sonic. It killed my boner.

we were getting ready to call the cops on the guy that kept asking for tots until we noticed

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Ask for the foot long

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Colonel posted:

i was having a good run of spelunky and then i got a dark floor and an arrow trap knocked me off of the starting platform and bounced off a wall and back onto me when i hit the ground

the game won't generate dark levels if you go fast enough, by design

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

exquisite tea posted:

Voting with your wallet might make you feel better about yourself but it's ultimately an ineffective way of actually implementing change because 1) it offloads a widespread systemic issue onto the individual consumer and 2) everyone has their own arbitrary personal criteria for what's fair and what's not. You might think paid lootboxes are terrible along with millions of others, but as long as there's even a few whales out there willing to shell out thousands of dollars on those things then EA doesn't give a poo poo about you and won't change their practices. The responsibility of limiting abuses within the industry should lie within pro-labor solutions such as unionization and government regulation (lol but still).

Whether or not you believe in "ethical consumption" is irrelevant. The fact is that consumer not buying into a companies latest cash grab is pretty much the only time they are motivated to change anything.This largely occurs as a result of bad publicity from the new product being so shockingly bad that blind consumption actually gets bucked. When companies start hemorrhaging money, that is when they look to change things.

And yeah you're right that the mobile microtransaction market pretty much thrives off pissing off 95% of consumers while milking the remaining 5% for a fortune. That poo poo needs to be regulated because its built entirely off predatory and harmful business tactics but most lawmakers are old and have no idea this stuff even exists.

The Colonel posted:

"I was having a good run of Spelunky until I made a single mistake and died" summarizes 99% of Spelunky runs.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RudeBashfulRadicchioCorgiDerp

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 10, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also remember

Always
Bkill
Cshopkeepers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

Whether or not you believe in "ethical consumption" is irrelevant. The fact is that consumer not buying into a companies latest cash grab is pretty much the only time they are motivated to change anything.This largely occurs as a result of bad publicity from the new product being so shockingly bad that blind consumption actually gets bucked. When companies start hemorrhaging money, that is when they look to change things.

And yeah you're right that the mobile microtransaction market pretty much thrives off pissing off 95% of consumers while milking the remaining 5% for a fortune. That poo poo needs to be regulated because its built entirely off predatory and harmful business tactics but most lawmakers are old and have no idea this stuff even exists.

The greater problem is that even the colossal Battlefront II debacle, which made international news, barely made a dent into EA’s quarterly profits. EA could lose every single one of their licenses except FIFA and still come out with $700 million in revenue every year, that’s the kind of insane scale we’re talking about. This model has worked enormously well for them and they’re unlikely to ever change it no matter how much people on the internet complain as long as some minuscule minority pays out the wazoo. These major publishers are in a position where they’re literally too big to fail, are releasing fewer and fewer games, and gradually homogenizing all their properties into the same microtransaction model. All EA has been motivated to do is say nice things for awhile and how they’re really listening to feedback until they do the same dog and pony show again, only this time with less resistance because “it’s not as bad.”

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Battlefront 2 was back on top of the PSN sales charts like 2 weeks after that whole backlash lol

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Don't know if this is insightful or if it even matters, but I've noticed that your average gamer cares a lot more about the business side of their fave form of media than, say, your average cinephile or bookworm care about theirs

I think a large part of this is that most videogame companies are extremely tight-lipped about their finances as well as behind the scenes going-ons. Whereas, I get the feeling that the movie and music industries have less of a problem with showing the nitty-gritty of their industries. I would imagine the lack of information in the videogame world leads to lots more opportunities for speculation and thus discussion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also because the music industry doesn't come out on stage and go "this year it's all about the LISTENERS"

this year E3 is all about the GAMERRRRZZZZZZ *thousands of nerds stand up and put their hand to their heart pledging to win the Console Wars*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Only the dead have seen the end of the console wars.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Only the dead have seen the end of the console wars.

actually Hyperdimension Neptunia was a documentary showing the end of the console wars

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this game seems cool so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj_sgpk8g9o

i had to find a manual online to figure out how to save

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair there have been plenty of other dumb "wars" in other forms of art criticism. American and European film critics of the 50's for example tried to reduce all of Japanese cinema to just Kurosawa and Mizoguchi (As if they were even trying to do the same thing in their movies), and you had to pick sides for some reason. It was wrong to like both.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I hope you enjoy the cutscenes! :)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

*Rami Ismail voice* yeah but have you considered that these companies literally couldn't survive without lootboxes and you're killing the industry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

*Rami Ismail voice* yeah but have you considered that these companies literally couldn't survive without lootboxes and you're killing the industry

the vlambeer guy?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rami Ismail is one of the strongest voices in support of game labor and the turn against him because he describes the Hobson's choices faced by many developers is loving weird

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rami Ismail is one of the strongest voices in support of game labor and the turn against him because he describes the Hobson's choices faced by many developers is loving weird
if you can't keep your job without exploiting people your job shouldn't exist

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool that the western industry voices speaking out about how we need more mid-budget games all ignore the flood of mid-budget japanese games that get localized, several of which have received widespread popularity

also western developers should make more mid-budget games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

It's oddly easy to break as well. In one of the first rooms I got a ring with like +50 casting stats and Koudelka basically has infinite mana and instant death magic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in koudelka if you just build your party with high physical and magic resistance and give koudelka and harold really strong magic so you can still cast healing you can pretty much tank the final boss

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The thing that made so many people blow up against Ismail was when people were saying "But Nintendo and Sony don't need lootboxes" and he said "Well yeah, they control platform revenue" which is completely correct

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

in koudelka if you just build your party with high physical and magic resistance and give koudelka and harold really strong magic so you can still cast healing you can pretty much tank the final boss

I still love the fact that saving at certain thresholds on the in-game timer gives you super weapons.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like the situation that Ismail described was at best collaborationism, where developers could see EA or Activision were holding guns to their head and it was like "monetize or die" so they came up with microtransaction schemes. He didn't even say it was good but something that people were forced to do because of the AAA pubs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it's cool that the western industry voices speaking out about how we need more mid-budget games all ignore the flood of mid-budget japanese games that get localized, several of which have received widespread popularity

also western developers should make more mid-budget games

Hellblade seemed to do pretty well so maybe there'll be more

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

just lol if you don't :sever: the moment of perceived disagreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The thing that made so many people blow up against Ismail was when people were saying "But Nintendo and Sony don't need lootboxes" and he said "Well yeah, they control platform revenue" which is completely correct
I remember this and I thought I was crazy. Like I read his thread several times and agreed and did not understand why people were so loving angry

• Locked thread