Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
isn't Huawei the company that's no longer allowed to sell phones in the u.s. because the government can't be sure they're not loaded with Chinese spyware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Android P seems to have lost the granular notification settings that allowed me to set an app's notifications to always appear silently. Now everything follows the global Do Not Disturb setting :mad:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Careful Drums posted:

isn't Huawei the company that's no longer allowed to sell phones in the u.s. because the government can't be sure they're not loaded with Chinese spyware?

No, their phones are for sale. Intelligence organizations have suggested not to use them.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

Also, they may also have sold to Iran:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/huawei-under-criminal-investigation-over-iran-sanctions-1524663728

But you can buy this forbidden fruit right now:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ASABEgLV2PD_BwE

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I own an X4 and it's Cool and Good

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Moto is cool and good if it's 2016

But it's not and the Mate SE is $229

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Any goons own the Moto Z2 Force and have opinions on it?

It's $375 at TMobile right now and that's pretty appealing for a phone with 4GB of ram and a Snapdragon 835, even if I'll miss the headphone jack a little bit.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

Moto is cool and good if it's 2016

But it's not and the Mate SE is $229

Why would you not cough up an extra $40 for the Nokia 6.1

Tykero posted:

Any goons own the Moto Z2 Force and have opinions on it?

It's $375 at TMobile right now and that's pretty appealing for a phone with 4GB of ram and a Snapdragon 835, even if I'll miss the headphone jack a little bit.

I love my Moto Z2 Force.

Only downsides I've found:
Plastic screen requires protection
Not losing the headphone dongle
Still getting quarterly security updates but unlikely to ever proceed past 8.0 Oreo

Rastor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 10, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

Why would you not cough up an extra $40 for the Nokia 6.1

Because the Mate SE is better in every way except for stock Android. I'm not doing 16:9 with big bezels in 2018.

I was hoping for a 7 Plus release in America so I could have it all. But the 6.1 just falls short in too many areas, plus yeah it's like 20% more expensive to boot

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

Because the Mate SE is better in every way except for stock Android. I'm not doing 16:9 with big bezels in 2018.

I was hoping for a 7 Plus release in America so I could have it all. But the 6.1 just falls short in too many areas, plus yeah it's like 20% more expensive to boot

I agree with this sentiment. The Mate SE is cheaper, smaller bezel, better screen, camera, and has more RAM.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The 6.1 is a fine device and there's nothing wrong with valuing updates and Stock above everything else. If it was in my opinion a close call I would have gone with Nokia.

Besides, if Xiaomi releases an Android One Mi A2 in a couple months, Motorola, Nokia, and the Mate SE immediately become bad choices and we're all in the same boat together

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Any s8+ users had wifi problems since oreo update? I just bought a new s8+ and after not using the phone for a while it just seems to lose wifi connection(either there is an exclamation mark in the top notification bar on the wifi icon or it just doesnt seem to work at all)

Turning the wifi off and on seems to fix the problem but it reappears again in a hour or so.

I have already wiped cache and factory reseted the phone to no avail, my old nexus 6p works just fine on the same network.

There are posts about this problem on some forums and no response by samsung, just wondering if this is gonna get fixed.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Rastor posted:

I love my Moto Z2 Force.

Only downsides I've found:
Plastic screen requires protection
Not losing the headphone dongle
Still getting quarterly security updates but unlikely to ever proceed past 8.0 Oreo

Thanks for your insight.
Should I just slap a screen protector on top of the "shatterproof" doohicky that comes on it?

Do you have any issues with getting a good fitting case for it? Seems like the "mods" thing would make that more complicated.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The 6.1 is beautiful as gently caress and you bezel weirdos confuse me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tykero posted:

Thanks for your insight.
Should I just slap a screen protector on top of the "shatterproof" doohicky that comes on it?

Do you have any issues with getting a good fitting case for it? Seems like the "mods" thing would make that more complicated.

Yes, pull off the plastic shipping sheet and put on a screen protector over the "shattershield". As with other modern phones, if you use a stiff/glass protector you may have difficulty getting a good fit so buy extras in case you need more than one attempt.

I just slapped a style mod on the back, but there are bumpers you can get which don't block most mods.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I say the Iranians and North Koreans deserve to be able to waste their time with Pokémon Go and Flappy Bird.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SpookyLizard posted:

The 6.1 is beautiful as gently caress and you bezel weirdos confuse me.

It looks so drat sexy, I wanted to buy one, but instead bought a Xperia XA2 ultra. We'll see how it goes

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So this is kind of a dumb question, but is there any way to add the SA smiles to the keyboard? I miss the stupid things when I don't have access to them.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Edit: gently caress

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why don't any US carriers use band 7? It's used throughout Canada. I have an international G5+ that I forgot to sell before moving and now I'm debating whether to just get a new phone or switch to AT&T and hope that band 5 is sufficient.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Patrick Spens posted:

So this is kind of a dumb question, but is there any way to add the SA smiles to the keyboard? I miss the stupid things when I don't have access to them.

You can maybe do this with certain apps. Like in discord you can have custom emojis in each server. Even then it probably won't appear in the keyboard though, because it's not a part of Unicode.

E: Maybe I misunderstood the question, do you mean you want to use the SA smilies from the keyboard when you post on SA, or you want to use the SA smilies elsewhere?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 11, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think the iOS awful app provides an emot keyboard.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

eXXon posted:

Why don't any US carriers use...

the answer is always hideous and stupid regulations

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Panty Saluter posted:

Omg not regulations!!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

VostokProgram posted:

You can maybe do this with certain apps. Like in discord you can have custom emojis in each server. Even then it probably won't appear in the keyboard though, because it's not a part of Unicode.

E: Maybe I misunderstood the question, do you mean you want to use the SA smilies from the keyboard when you post on SA, or you want to use the SA smilies elsewhere?

I want to be able to use SA smilies elsewhere, like in messanger and such.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

eXXon posted:

Why don't any US carriers use band 7? It's used throughout Canada. I have an international G5+ that I forgot to sell before moving and now I'm debating whether to just get a new phone or switch to AT&T and hope that band 5 is sufficient.
if US carriers used the same bands the rest of the world used it would be too easy to sell phones here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands#Deployments_by_region

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

eXXon posted:

2600mhz is already licensed for a different use.

Specifically, Multipoint Distribution Service (MDS) and Instructional Television Fixed Service (ITFS). Essentially, wireless cable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

I want to be able to use SA smilies elsewhere, like in messanger and such.

You can't.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's theoretically possible; in situations you can send gifs or whatever you would be able to send SA smilies the same way. But I don't know of any keyboard that has added that feature.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

If you think anything having to do with a corporation is due to "regulations" then you have never been to America. Here the answer is always "gently caress you".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like I said, in this case it's neither. The spectrum has just been licensed to something else and was probably licensed to that long before LTE was a thing. MDS was something being floated in the late 90s as an alternative to cable and satellite TV. It's possible that the spectrum will eventually be auctioned off and it can be put to use for cellular communications, but who knows.

You could even argue that the lack of Band 7 in the US is a benefit to customers since MDS currently services internet in some rural locations. So, by implementing band 7, you would be taking spectrum away from local operators that are providing internet to areas without cable and giving it to one of the 3 nationwide wireless carriers.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 11, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tykero posted:

Thanks for your insight.

Yes get the cheap plastic screen protectors, the glass ones don't stick well in the corners.

No problems finding Z2 force cases cheap on Amazon either. The only Mod friendly cases are bumper style cases, though I've never been a fan of the mods, so it's not a big deal for me.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
P Beta on a Pixel XL is going well, which is very good because I living on the edge putting my only phone on a dev preview/beta. I hope they don't gently caress it up because I don't want to have to wait until stable release, it's great.

I'm unexpectedly loving the left hand clock, I dig the font change, and the divider between the clock and notification icons on the ambient display is so neat I wish it was like that on the normal lock screen. It feels like post-art-nuveau. The notification bar icons are grossly mismatched to the rest of it. If I could change them to a nice teal like that one guy's screenshot instead of this bright blue it'd go a long way to making them less of an eyesore, but I think really they need to just go back to the drawing board and get rid of this wingdings poo poo and make something more subtle to match the font and other ui changes.

I can't remember but I think Oreo has a settings quick shortcut from the first swipe of the notification shade, if my memory is right I think needing to make a full swipe down to get to the settings is a poo poo change.

Volume rocker defaulting to media is amazing and convenient and with the vib/silent gesture they added I don't know how anyone could have a problem with it - I'm pretty sure most people just flick between 90/100% and silent/vibrate? Do Not Disturb changes are interesting but I'm not sure how many people would actually keep DND while screen is turned on options enabled. It would help if the settings for screen off/screen on DND were configurable per rule rather than gobal.

Ambient lighting changes is creepy when you see the slider moving on it's own but seems to be working really well. They still need to figure out a way to offer something dimmer than the dimmest setting though - ever since the overlay changes in 7.1 stopped twilight affecting UI I go from reading to blinded everytime I touch the shade/app slider.

If anyone is thinking about trying it out I recommend it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

G-Spot Run posted:

Ambient lighting changes is creepy when you see the slider moving on it's own but seems to be working really well. They still need to figure out a way to offer something dimmer than the dimmest setting though - ever since the overlay changes in 7.1 stopped twilight affecting UI I go from reading to blinded everytime I touch the shade/app slider.

Do you know about the Night Light feature on the Pixels? Just curious because it tints the entire system UI unlike Twilight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I always wait until the final DP before putting the new beta on my main phone, but seems like this will be a tough wait. P looks rad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I always wait until the final DP before putting the new beta on my main phone, but seems like this will be a tough wait. P looks rad.

Wuss.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Also, MobileIron doesn't support Android P yet which means I can't access my work email so this is a net positive all around. :cool:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does Photos have any easy way of identifying/removing duplicates, either on Android or web? I decided to upload my ~50,000 photos from my computer and left "Upload RAW" checked, and it got about 1,000 photos into it uploading both the RAW and the jpg from the camera. I'm just storing them as High Quality, so I don't really need the RAW files.

I found a few posts describing how to do it with the old Picassa desktop app, which I can't download anymore (haven't tried to find it elsewhere yet). Is that still the only way to do it somewhat efficiently?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

sirbeefalot posted:

Does Photos have any easy way of identifying/removing duplicates, either on Android or web? I decided to upload my ~50,000 photos from my computer and left "Upload RAW" checked, and it got about 1,000 photos into it uploading both the RAW and the jpg from the camera. I'm just storing them as High Quality, so I don't really need the RAW files.

I found a few posts describing how to do it with the old Picassa desktop app, which I can't download anymore (haven't tried to find it elsewhere yet). Is that still the only way to do it somewhat efficiently?

You, like me, are condemned to a lifetime of auto-awesome notifications only to find it made a collage of 6 of the same photo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Look, I don't live on the edge with phones anymore, I've evolved into a scared old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm probably misunderstanding, but are you saying you started (and stopped early) your 50k upload at original size, then restarted the whole process at the free "high quality" size? So basically you've duplicated those first 1000 at original size and want to remove those?

If so, maybe try organizing by upload date (click the search bar on desktop and click more options or something--sorry, on mobile atm). If the offending ones all uploaded together, it may be possible to find them and manually delete the batch. Not exactly easy, but hopefully just a one-time process.