Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own
This poll is closed.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 47 24.48%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 27 14.06%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 70 36.46%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 48 25.00%
Total: 192 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
iconic

https://twitter.com/dance_w_skelton/status/991967987052691457

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/Nardack/status/990789125975359488 drat, the boat girl games are bad afterall

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikh34ejKRDQ

sorry you had to find out this way

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Feminism is ... anti-social?
Is something not coming across in translation? Or is "anti-social" in Korea more of an "against social order" kinda thing?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

endorph posted about it in the discord

quote:

anyway the thing with the korea stuff is

imagine if their equivalent to anita sarkeesian was actually the screaming 'kill all men lets ruin the lives of every male video game employee' person gamergate acted like she was, and also was a fairly large organization. alternatively imgaine if their equivalent to gamergate was for feminism instead of against it

there was a sparkpoint boiling around feminism in nerd circles and then the worst possible group came into public prominence, not just in nerd circles but in more prominent ways than our gamergate did

so there being some backlash and a ton of trepidation about the issue, is understandable. obviously this does not justify harassing random artists into tweeting 'i am not nor have i ever been a feminist' and sending them death threats if they dont

but its a very muddy issue

that said at this point korean manchildren are taking it from 'people who support megalia' to 'people who have rt'd artists who support megalia even if its just their art' to 'people who have drawn dva in a 'girls dont need princes' shirt once' to 'people who have rt'd artists who might have maybe coughed the word feminism once'

like nardack says in their post they didnt even tweet about feminist artists they just rt'd a couple of artists who did and that was enough for them to be the next target

quote:

im sure if they just asked her to denounce megalia she would have been willing to

but theyve kind of tied megalia into feminism itself

so the requests often involve denouncing feminism, in general

as a concept

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also the group in question is Megalia and looking them up will probably surface the hosed up stuff they do like post general mutilation to laugh about it, or the schoolteacher Megalian who posted about wanting to have sex with a kindergarten boy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's an article http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37018916

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a much more complicated situation than just 'boat girl games bad' it happens in a lot of korean nerd stuff

and azur lane is a chinese game, not a korean one. this was an action taken by the korean publishers, not the original developers.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there no end to these bad games

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the boat girl situation is more complex than i initially thought

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe video games were a mistake.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

chumbler posted:

Maybe video games were a mistake.

The Curse of Pong has lasted a long time.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it's actually just people that are bad

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

endorph posted about it in the discord

Ty dogsicle and endy.

This sounds like a whole basket of nope :(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

it's actually just people that are bad

Destroy All Humans

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
fun videogame

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
They really started going downhill after the first one though

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

They really started going downhill after the first one though

2 was fun IMO

The later ones looked poo poo tho

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

this is the art anti-feminists don't want you to see

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Space Flower posted:

this is the art anti-feminists don't want you to see

If there are bubbles, she seems to be underwater. So she's sinking...?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

2 was fun IMO

The later ones looked poo poo tho

There were more than 2???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

There were more than 2???

it was bad

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/kireina_mochi/status/958505994966908930

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's rude to intrude

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
where did you think the narrator was

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Making barbecue by himself in the woods, of course

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Are there any musical anime? Like people singing about their feelings in-universe (so, not K-On or similar).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Symphogear

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Symphogear

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Seconding this question, though I know it's been talked about before.

Jashin-Chan Dropkick

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
hey so

what's with the back covers and bios and stuff for licensed manga always referring to characters by their given name, even when the dialogue or narration almost never does

like the Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To license refers to Shirogane as "Miyuki" which I forgot was even his name because no one ever calls him that

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 10, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

like the Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To refers to Shirogane as "Miyuki" which I forgot was even his name because no one ever calls him that

Yeah and it’s even a minor plot point that she’s still very nervous about calling him that. :argh:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Symphogear

drat, I'm running out of excuses for not having watched it already

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

don't be swayed by Trends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

hey so

what's with the back covers and bios and stuff for licensed manga always referring to characters by their given name, even when the dialogue or narration almost never does

like the Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To license refers to Shirogane as "Miyuki" which I forgot was even his name because no one ever calls him that
stuff like that can get kinda weird since generally in english you refer to someone by their given name almost always unless it's a 'mr.' thing and so an impartial narrator voice would call people by their given names, but it can kinda vary from the perspective of a story? for instance a principal in a school thing would probably be called mr. ___ even in the bios and stuff since from the perspectives of the characters and for the purposes of the plot his only function is as an adult figure called mr. ___ even if he has a given name

gmq posted:

Are there any musical anime? Like people singing about their feelings in-universe (so, not K-On or similar).
i know symphogear is a meme answer but its legitimately the thing you're looking for, the songs are actually based on the characters' emotions and have a lot of great character insights if you read the lyrics, capstones in character's arcs are punctuated by songs almost always, etc

i dont really know of any other anime that go all in on that the way symphogear does. maybe macross a little bit, but its just kept to the idol/singer characters. and in idol anime people usually sing their feelings a bit but there's obviously a kind of on-stage aspect to it. if anyone knows any anime that are just straight up musicals even moreso than symphogear id be curious about it too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gmq posted:

Nerima

Daikon

Bros

The show isn't that great, but it still has good moments here and there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Classicaloids also, kinda.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always got the impression that musical theater isn't historically popular in japan, it's something that only recently is getting big after a couple successful adaptations of western musicals

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

musical theatre was popular in japan but it had a much different cadence that is harder to adapt for modern sensibilities. kabuki is musical but there's no lyrics, its much more about interpretive dance. in terms of musicals there's the takarazuka revue but they A) mostly adapt western musicals, yeah and B) anime and pop culture at large is much more interested in lifting the aesthetics of that, not the musical aspects of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

• Locked thread