Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CodeJanitor posted:

Milkman David story made me cry.
The entire mouse song I assumed David was going to slam the stapler down on its tail so it ruined the entire scene by forcing this impending doom.
More TV like this please.

The most striking image out of all of this for me was old David, bald, in a wheelchair, with a severed spine.

I mean I know it's the most obvious thing in the world, but the dark reflection of his father caught me off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think this was actually quite an important episode to the story as this reaching out to different timelines was his mind processing the trauma of what happened to his sister.

In all the timelines where his sister still existed David's life was horrible. It seemed like she didn't exist in the Business David timeline but the Shadow King clearly still did though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Le Saboteur posted:

I think this was actually quite an important episode to the story as this reaching out to different timelines was his mind processing the trauma of what happened to his sister.

In all the timelines where his sister still existed David's life was horrible. It seemed like she didn't exist in the Business David timeline but the Shadow King clearly still did though.

She did, he made her hurt.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

R-Type posted:

Don't forget, Molly Hagan played the female Jem'Hadar with psychic abilities in DS9.

She played the first Vor'ta on screen in the episode "The Jem'Hadar".

And I didn't really like this episode. Or the last one either. I enjoy the idea of it but in practice I just find my mind wandering and then I realise I haven't been paying attention. I got that it was a send off for his sister and how important she was to him in every world other than when he was taken over by the Shadow King but Walking Dead has made me hate those sorts of episodes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jesus, I would easily choose watching an entire episode of Homeless David wandering around with his shopping cart instead of The Walking Dead, so I find it hard to compare the two in any way. But I can understand why this episode is polarizing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus, I would easily choose watching an entire episode of Homeless David wandering around with his shopping cart instead of The Walking Dead, so I find it hard to compare the two in any way. But I can understand why this episode is polarizing.

I'm not saying the shows are at all similar, just the theme of "remember that person who died" as an episode.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This show as an exploration of human consciousness is much more important than this show as comic book plot. This episode IS the show.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I've been pretty frustrated with the slow pace of the season but this episode was definitely one of the best. Especially the Bryan Ferry mouse. All of the music this season has been great. Definitely no complaints in that department.

I think the weakest episode so far has been the Syd's consciousness one, would have been better as maybe half an episode, tops. I still have plenty of faith that the season will stick the landing and tie all of these threads together, though.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
This episode was incredible and I'm continually baffled this show is on the air.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

But I can understand why this episode is polarizing

Definitely, but I think it is aggravated by having seen so little development: if there was more plot-meat in the bones, so to speak, I think this episode would have gotten a lot more goodwill. Then again, Fargo only clicked for a bunch of people after the middle of the season, so...

I think most of the frustration comes from the waiting, in the sense that these explorations of the characters will probably make sense in retrospect, however, it is going to be a shame if people tune out before this season gets close to the finishing line and end up thinking that Legion is a mess because of that.

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 10, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Its pretty cool that you can show a dude getting cut in half lengthwise on fx

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Danger posted:

This episode was incredible and I'm continually baffled this show is on the air.

It's really remarkable. And it's interesting to think of how different the show could have been with a different showrunner. At its core, it's really not too different a story from any number of other comic book superhero shows. Sure there's the twist of David's mental health but that could have been handled as casually as "oh he's eccentric" with no real consequences. The plot and theme of the show are fairly standard. What really elevates it is the storytelling, the presentation, the trust in its audience that they'll be on board with experimental and avant-garde approaches in how the story is portrayed.

I'm afraid I don't have as much faith in the audience as the show does; there's no way something this good can stick around.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Good work Kerry - interesting that she/they still ends up with Division, might have been nice to give the Eye a little cameo there too.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

This show blows my mind!

I was getting frustrated at all the looping in Syd's consciousness, but the ending was a total mind screw that made up for it. Last episode was amazing too. I've known people zombified like Milkman David, and it was just sad. "I'm not six!" The subtle switch from walking stick to sword approaching David was ace.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 10, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a reminder that Kerry still delivers the lumber when she fights and makes it even more frustrating the writers refuse to let her do so.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The comic book fights are the worst part of Legion, event though they are fine and few. Give me more of whatever the hell this last episode was.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wafflecop posted:

The transitions around elderly David's scenes, particularly transition into the baby near the end, were 2001: A Space Odyssey. So just Kubrick homages? I didn't pick up anything from say FMJ or The Shining (maybe the scene in the car before David goes to Clockworks?).
The scene where the camera followed the bullet right to David's back was sort of weird and stood out to me as well

Blamestorm posted:

I don’t even need it to go anywhere. I like it being an exploration of what it would mean to be able to control reality, and when that answer is “not just superhero battles” I’m even more interested.
Agreed

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No one commented how the episode ended with a song saying "I am Superman"?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah that was hosed up

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Compared to what The Americans did last night, that was tame.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danger posted:

Not for much longer I fear.

Time to give up on tv for another 5 years.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

IUG posted:

No one commented how the episode ended with a song saying "I am Superman"?

“And I know what’s happening ... and I can’t do anything”

It was not lost on me, no.

night slime
May 14, 2014
People in the thread keep saying the show is getting cancelled but I don't see it. Low ratings or not the guy who makes it is making 3 things for the company. If worse comes to worse they could add Patrick Stewart for a 30 second cameo and plug the hell out of it so people know it's an X-Men thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

Definitely, but I think it is aggravated by having seen so little development: if there was more plot-meat in the bones, so to speak, I think this episode would have gotten a lot more goodwill. Then again, Fargo only clicked for a bunch of people after the middle of the season, so...

I think most of the frustration comes from the waiting, in the sense that these explorations of the characters will probably make sense in retrospect, however, it is going to be a shame if people tune out before this season gets close to the finishing line and end up thinking that Legion is a mess because of that.

The journey is the destination

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Patrick Stewart should cameo but it should go like this:

ProfX - Hello David, I'm Professor X of the X-Men, your dad.

David - Hi, hey if you have that cerebro machine that tracks powerful mutants via telepathy and a school where troubled mutant children get help in a safe environment, why exactly did I have to grow up as a junkie mental case?

ProfX - ......bye everybody!

*credits*

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Wait, yeah, if Prof X already fought and (as far as he knows) defeated Shadow King -- as seen in the classroom scene in S1 -- why did he give David up?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

He didn't completely defeat him. He basically just kicked him out of his body then stashed it with the monks. Then he hid his son because he knew he was vulnerable. He didn't realize that the SK had already attached himself to baby David though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ok, makes sense.

What comics should I read if I want the full legion story? I tried finding what I could and found like a 6 issue miniseries but it picks up pretty late in his story.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The police officer getting imploded and gibbed was pretty gnarly as well

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wasn't that the same death that Shadow King gave to Walter/The Eye during the bolero sequence (also the effect or a similar one was used in this season of Agents of Shield)?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Ok, makes sense.

What comics should I read if I want the full legion story? I tried finding what I could and found like a 6 issue miniseries but it picks up pretty late in his story.

It'll be a little hard to find the "full legion story" since he's been around for the last 30 years or so AFAIK, but you can start with the original Claremont stories with the bitchin awesome artwork, and bookend that with his recent concluded series XMEN LEGACY: LEGION by Simon Spurrier, which is an appropriate head gently caress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also the grunge chick from the only good part of the new Blair Witch project movie

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

double nine posted:

wasn't that the same death that Shadow King gave to Walter/The Eye during the bolero sequence (also the effect or a similar one was used in this season of Agents of Shield)?

Yes, and it was just as horrifying

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes, and it was just as horrifying

They've used that like four different times in Agents of SHIELD in the last three episodes and every time it's :stonk:.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But they did a nice gut plop at the end for Legion which was a nice touch.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I mistakenly thought for most of the episode that it was Farouk/David engaging in some sort of psychic battle. Much more likely that that avclub article is on point, being that this episode is a psychic scream of grief, but there's a chance it could be the opening volleys of a battle and they're already sitting down facing each other in a dance club somewhere, thinking real hard until one of them keels over.

Anyway I liked it, very very Leftovers, but I think I'd equally enjoy a version of the show where Things Actually Happen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Danger posted:

I tried explaining this show to my 76 year old dad, and kept running out of words as my mind ground to a halt trying to describe it. I’m just going to show him the 1st couple episodes of season 1 when I visit and tell him, if you like watch more. It worked for the Expanse (he loves that show).

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

This episode was one of the best things I've ever watched and I feel strongly enough about that to kind of dislike people who didn't like it even though I know how irrational it is to get mad over differences of taste

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Proteus Jones posted:

I tried explaining this show to my 76 year old dad, and kept running out of words as my mind ground to a halt trying to describe it. I’m just going to show him the 1st couple episodes of season 1 when I visit and tell him, if you like watch more. It worked for the Expanse (he loves that show).

This reminds me of all the times I'd try to figure out how Hannibal was an NBC show. Because I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Hannibal was an NBC show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No show about serial killing cannibals had any right to be so gorgeous.

Certainly no other show I can think of even comes close to the sense of style and class Hannibal had.