Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

jammyozzy posted:

Two sportscar things have made me exclaim Holy gently caress out loud today.

The first is finally seeing onboard footage of the 919 Tribute lapping Spa: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/08/video-onboard-of-janis-record-breaking-spa-lap.html

The second is the state of Fittipaldi's car after his crash:

The nose itself looks remarkably intact, but she's snapped through the A-pillar. :catstare:

I honestly have a hard time believing this car passed the FIA's pretty strict crash testing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Stand down everyone, just learnt this morning they had to cut him out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

The first is finally seeing onboard footage of the 919 Tribute lapping Spa: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/08/video-onboard-of-janis-record-breaking-spa-lap.html

quote:

Porsche has released the on-board footage of one of Neel Jani’s laps of Spa-Francorchamps in the Porsche 919 Hybrid ‘Evo’ last month. The one in the video is two seconds slower than the 1:41.770 he set later on – for that lap the team took the camera out of the car to save uneccesary weight!

~This is not the greatest lap in the world, no, this is just a tribute~

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like that they'll do everything they can to make that as stupid fast as possible.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We need more things like that

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You guys remember that limited edition road legal track car BMW made where they did poo poo like have the rear boot lining be made out of cardboard, and the windows wouldn’t go up and down because they glued them in?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Manufacturers making crazy time attack cars just to poo poo on someone else's record is awesome and hilarious.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
One thing I hadn't noticed before is that they covered up most of the holes atop the fenders, so I'm thinking that's a pretty flippy car if it goes sideways

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

You guys remember that limited edition road legal track car BMW made where they did poo poo like have the rear boot lining be made out of cardboard, and the windows wouldn’t go up and down because they glued them in?

They didn't glue the windows shut on the E46 M3 CSL, the bootliner thing yes. Most of the csl mods were fairly subtle, but they added up to a very nice package. Although I don't think they are really worth like 5 times a normal E46 M3.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

This is the most badass car of all time.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

quote:

Aston Martin is aiming to return to front-line sportscar racing in North America with its new second-generation Vantage GTE.
The British manufacturer wants its new GTE contender, which made its race debut in last weekend's FIA World Endurance Championship opener at Spa, to compete in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship's GT Le Mans class.

Aston is targeting a full-season factory presence in North America at an undisclosed point in the future for the first time since its American Le Mans Series campaign with the DBR1 GT1 in 2006.

gently caress yes

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Basticle posted:

gently caress yes

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The new Vantage GTE is gorgeous and that is very cool news.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That car has had sexual relations with your sister, your girlfriend, and your mother.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bPgU1n4yI

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
oh jesus gently caress, pulled a CLK GTR

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like he got over the rumble strips at speed and lifted the front up.... and awwwaaaay weee gooooooo

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
That is loving terrifying. It's a good job there's a fair amount of run-off up thereand they weren't using the extended pit exit.

"DSC posted:

Multiple observers (including trackside marshals) have reported directly to DSC that the car completed two “backflips” when airborne

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

oh jesus gently caress, pulled a CLK GTR

:eng101: CLR

But yeah that’s terrifying, first big blow over since...Monza? Wow. Wowwww.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WindyMan posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bPgU1n4yI

Cygni posted:

Looks like he got over the rumble strips at speed and lifted the front up.... and awwwaaaay weee gooooooo

The front end is already in the air before he comes around the corner so its hard to say

drat though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

They didn't glue the windows shut on the E46 M3 CSL, the bootliner thing yes. Most of the csl mods were fairly subtle, but they added up to a very nice package. Although I don't think they are really worth like 5 times a normal E46 M3.

They did on the M1 though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

LMP1L's in trouble.

Surely they need to fix that before the BR1s are let anywhere near LeMans.
And Manor may not appear either.

So we're done to Rebellion and ByKolles, which is very 2015.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

LMP1L's in trouble.

Surely they need to fix that before the BR1s are let anywhere near LeMans.
And Manor may not appear either.

So we're done to Rebellion and ByKolles, which is very 2015.

Yeah they're not about to go back to frisbee cars, so they're going to take an intense look at the BR1s before they're allowed anywhere near a track, and by extension Rebellion and ByKolles' rides as well just to make sure there is no possibility of cars flying into the sky randomly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
They need to just get over it and make DPi the worldwide top level. They're so much faster than P2 that it would still be the halo series, and much cheaper for manufacturers.

gently caress hybrids for now, get the interest back in the sport and try again later. The experiment failed, and a replacement is literally right there.

But then WEC/ACO would have to admit IMSA did good things.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how to watch the 24h at Nurburgring this weekend in the US (Youtube TV)?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Like the issues the privateers have faced (and will face throughout the rest of this double season) were, by and large, a product of the fact that:
1) Toyota ruined it for everyone when they point blank refused to take a significant power cut and get lap-times to anywhere near parity. That Porsche quit so late feeds into this, as it forced WEC to scramble and they didn't come up with a logical EoT solution until after the unilateral cut off point (Toyota had a veto after a certain date due to manufacturing concerns). The LMP1-Ls that are largely products of aero regulations that changed for LMP1Ls before the season to effect the 2018 Normal Season.
2) Most of these (all two of the three) LMP1L's are brand new chassis. There are going to be teething problems. The one that isn't is the Rebellion which is a (not insignificant) evolution of the evolution of Oreca's LMP2 chassis (we'll ignore ByKolles, because ByKloles is still in full effect), Ginetta doesn't make an LMP2 car to my knowledge - LMP3 is the extent of their experience, and as far as I can tell SMP's megabux Russian Oligarch paid Dallara to upgrade his LMP2s to LMP1 spec. The (insanely stupid) superseason is going to make these teething problems stand out, but the cars will be so much better for the experience they'll pick up.

iwentdoodie posted:

They need to just get over it and make DPi the worldwide top level. They're so much faster than P2 that it would still be the halo series, and much cheaper for manufacturers.

I think a huge part of DPi's appeal intrinsically stems from the fact it's *not* the global top tier of endurance. Do you really think Mazda stays in if it's getting humiliated the way it is, only at Le Mans in front of the rest of the world instead of a niche community of American die-hards?

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress hybrids for now, get the interest back in the sport and try again later. The experiment failed, and a replacement is literally right there.

The top-tier of FIA racing atm is Hybrid. It's the only way the FIA have found to lure manufacturers in to spend the ridiculous amounts needed to compete and win at top tier Le Mans (or F1).
Your argument would be "well then it needs to be cheaper" to which the ACO and FIA would go "yeah, but this is how we keep out the riff raff".

iwentdoodie posted:

They already are, and they're making noises about making LMP1 more DPi-like but it's going to be LMP1 scale, not LMP2.

DPi has been great for revitalizing IMSA as it looks to move past the merge and move forwards, but it's not necessarily the answer when teams are competing for the most open (in development terms) of the Big Three. Le Mans is on a whole other scale compared to Daytona or Sebring (or IMSA as a whole), just like how F1 is on a whole new scale compared to Indy. The solutions that work in NA racing aren't going to be the same solutions that work in "global, top tier" racing. Hell, three years ago there was talk of a mini-golden age of Le Mans, and for reasons that I believe were largely out of the ACO's hands (even if they exacerbated the problems) that's now completely over.
We're still a long way away from a cost effective full electric option, which means Hybrid rules the roost.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ginetta did make an LMP2, but it wasn't selected (because Riley was better? lol), so they took it and dropped an LS into it and sold it as a track day car, the G57. They've since improved on it and have the G58 as well. Both of those run happily in the creventic prototype series

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress no.

BOP has no place in the top class.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone know how to watch the 24h at Nurburgring this weekend in the US (Youtube TV)?

Yeah IIRC the last few years the race has been broadcast for free by ADAC on youtube

Also it looks like its 9:30AM to 9:30AM EST, and the Spanish Grand Prix starts at 9:05 those fuckrs

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 10, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I’d be careful writing Mazda off at this point. Mid-Ohio was a very strong race for them. Of course I might be biased because Mazda has OK’d the idea of me having a go in their DPi sim next month for a feature.

Looks like I’ll be at Belle Isle with Honda as well, to do a separate piece on the new Acura.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

They're already streaming practice/qualifying/support. Classices are on now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOzJPBhlVY

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

Yeah IIRC the last few years the race has been broadcast for free by ADAC on youtube

Also it looks like its 9:30AM to 9:30AM EST, and the Spanish Grand Prix starts at 9:05 those fuckrs

Xisticide posted:

They're already streaming practice/qualifying/support. Classices are on now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOzJPBhlVY

Cool thanks

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

gently caress no.

its already BOPed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMSA BOP just reminds me of the bad old days of WTCC where randomly BMW, Chevy, or SEAT would be the best car in a weekend and the entire season just felt like a random waste of time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

I’d be careful writing Mazda off at this point. Mid-Ohio was a very strong race for them. Of course I might be biased because Mazda has OK’d the idea of me having a go in their DPi sim next month for a feature.

Looks like I’ll be at Belle Isle with Honda as well, to do a separate piece on the new Acura.

Someone link the picture of the old Mazda Team SpeedSource "simulator" (A 27 inch tv on a plywood bench with a 75 dollar DFGT wheel/two-pedal solution)

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

its already BOPed

It’s EOT, Equalization of Tech, which is trying to bridge the gap between (at this point) hybrid and non-hybrid cars. Previously was trying to do so between levels of MJ power and between the gas and diesel engines.

BoP is in DPi because IMSA is still trying to give the P2-spec cars a shot despite manufacturers adding more power, aero, and all the best chassis tuning/adjustment the likes of Joest and Penske have available. It’s not just power, even if you gave every DPi the Gibson engine, they still have shock programs the P2 teams don’t.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
They also have better drivers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

It’s EOT, Equalization of Tech, which is trying to bridge the gap between (at this point) hybrid and non-hybrid cars. Previously was trying to do so between levels of MJ power and between the gas and diesel engines.

BoP is in DPi because IMSA is still trying to give the P2-spec cars a shot despite manufacturers adding more power, aero, and all the best chassis tuning/adjustment the likes of Joest and Penske have available. It’s not just power, even if you gave every DPi the Gibson engine, they still have shock programs the P2 teams don’t.

yeah, i just meant in the common usage of the term BOP, they both have it. theres lots of ways and types of BOPs but pretty much every series has somethin' these days. and frankly, i don't think were ever going back.

i still miss the old World Challenge success weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dudley posted:

gently caress no.

BoP should go away, and would if the P2 cars were split off.

The actual DPi cars are so much faster it's not even funny.

Basically I just want to see a full set if competitive cars, and right now that's the only class that has even a snowballs chance in hell at doing it.