Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Saw this in a zizek reddit post

here I was ready to make fun of the tumor, only for the cancer to name itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
This is rap for the portion of America that was salivating over Hamilton.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

NightshadeGenitals posted:

Don't put two worms on the hook when one will suffice

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

i like macklemore's one song about loving fat chicks on scooters

I want you to know this gave me a hearty laugh.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 10, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hasselblad posted:

*will not say where he lives*
*has never actually been to the USA*

when you talk about the world, the default position is to assume that any given place is better than the US, unless specified otherwise

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

You're dunking on one of those plastic basketball hoops made for toddlers.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

A+, test comes back with a snickers bar taped to it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cantaloupe posted:

A 4 minute rap song? No thanks!

That is extremely normal for rap.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Not as deep and meaningful as lil peep, imho.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

crabcakes dogg posted:

It’s like a lot of this modern music that uses all the right sounds and elements that make it sort of nostalgic and pleasant sounding, but without any of the heart and soul of the actual music from that era. (see all the genres of music ripping from 80s new wave)

What all the faux synth pop is missing is being balls out unafraid to be completely insane and dumb.

This was music made by gay brits in pancake makeup, colored hair brushed in loops, pirate outfits, with shaved eyebrows.

Now it's being made by bashful indie dudes with tasteful stubble and t-shirts. The overly self-aware mediocrity of white 90's music lives on.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I don't get it

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bholder posted:

When everyone is treated equally.

Is everyone in your country treated equally, Bholder who will not disclose which country you reside?
I assume at this point it is the same embarrassment of a country as steinrokkan.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 10, 2018

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nut to Butt posted:

Do you think there was no economic component to the original formulation?

Nowadays, it's mostly used by morons who have never even left their hometown and have no context for or knowledge of the world at large.

No, there was 0% economic component to the original formula. You can even google it easily, it was entirely a US classification to define allies, communist enemies, and others.

First World: US, NATO, Japan, S. Korea, Turkey.
2nd World: Soviet Union, China, Cuba.
3rd World: Everyone else.

Purely based on alliance classifications. Pointless today, but boomers will get confused and still do poo poo like cite Russia as a 2nd world country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

No, there was 0% economic component to the original formula. You can even google it easily, it was entirely a US classification to define allies, communist enemies, and others.

Purely based on alliance classifications. Pointless today, but boomers will get confused and still do poo poo like cite Russia as a 2nd world country.

The first two weren't economic in that context, but the third sort of was.
Places like Switzerland were never considered third world just because they were officially neutral.
It was used much more in the context of non-aligned poorer and post-colonial countries outside of Europe.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

venezuala just was down graded to 4th world, i saw a blurb about it on twitter

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

The first two weren't economic in that context, but the third sort of was.
Places like Switzerland were never considered third world just because they were officially neutral.
It was used much more in the context of non-aligned poorer and post-colonial countries outside of Europe.

It wasn't at all. It is now entirely. Swiss wasn't in Nato, it was a 3rd world country. It was classified officially as such.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It wasn't at all. It is now entirely. Swiss wasn't in Nato, it was a 3rd world country. It was classified officially as such.

this is correct

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

There is no such thing as official classification of it lol.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

this is correct

K.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World

It even has a map.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

Kazak posted:

This is a dumb way to look at things

On the contrary. There is no shortage of great art created by great artists about the US, particularly about black Americans. Letting a mediocre rapper in a music video that's about as interesting as a high schooler's performance art debut be the focus on discussion on race in America is a dumb way to look at things.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

His raps are as hard as his body.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This interpretation is dependent on a contextless view of the term, ignoring the economic and ideological aspects of the Cold War in favor of some kind of Americentric, hyper-literal realpolitik.

quote:

In 1952, the French demographer Alfred Sauvy coined the term Third World in reference to the three estates in pre-revolutionary France.[15] The first two estates being the nobility and clergy and everybody else comprising the third estate.[15] He compared the capitalist world (i.e., First World) to the nobility and the communist world (i.e., Second World) to the clergy. Just as the third estate comprised everybody else, Sauvy called the Third World all the countries that were not in this Cold War division, i.e., the unaligned and uninvolved states in the "East-West Conflict".[15][16] With the coining of the term Third World directly, the first two groups came to be known as the "First World" and "Second World" respectively. Here the three-world system emerged.[13]
But I was just talking poo poo in the first place, we could crush the rest of the West like bugs.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This post.
:staredog:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

His raps are as hard as his body.

oh honey

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Kanye is still better sorry libtards

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

His insights are as sharp as his barber’s clippers.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

This post.
:staredog:

I guess I'm confused. America & it's allies used a classification system to classify the world. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that they actually did this. You seem to think that's subjective which I don't really know.

Like yes, it's super America centric, America invented this system for American Gov't & propaganda use, it doesn't really get more American facing than that? It doesn't mean it's imaginary.

Or you just trolling me and I fell for it, which I'm pretty sure America didn't invent trolling, so I guess that isn't america then.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I guess I'm confused. America & it's allies used a classification system to classify the world. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that they actually did this. You seem to think that's subjective which I don't really know.

Like yes, it's super America centric, America invented this system for American Gov't & propaganda use, it doesn't really get more American facing than that? It doesn't mean it's imaginary.

Or you just trolling me and I fell for it, which I'm pretty sure America didn't invent trolling, so I guess that isn't america then.

Sir this is McDonald's drive thru

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I guess I'm confused. ...

Or you just trolling me and I fell for it,
Lol

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I think the song is somewhere between OK to Good but the video is the really impressive thing.

It's very well done from a technical and artistic standpoint and open to a ton of interesting possible interpretations depending completely on the viewer.

Cool weird dance moves too.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

wonder why he made those faces

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
thinkin bout those gamBeanos

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

It's good, but I'm still not paying reparations for what my 3x grandad did to someone else's 5x grandad

Do you think the slate was wiped clean when the civil war ended? The playing field isn't level and black people are still getting hosed to this day.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I watched this again and noticed Death riding a pale horse. Pretty badass they got Death to do a cameo imo.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

How come all the immigrants I hang out with every day say America rules and they never wanna go back to their shithole home countries but everyone here says that America does not in fact rule?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Savage For The Winjun posted:

How come all the immigrants I hang out with every day say America rules and they never wanna go back to their shithole home countries but everyone here says that America does not in fact rule?

I've solved this riddle and you can too, if you only use your noodle.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Kasumeat posted:

Here's a better music video for a better song by better artists on the same topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y

Hell yeah!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Only idiots and edgelords say the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

But only an idiot would fail to notice that it's super unfair and some people do have it lovely here.

• Locked thread