Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Jenkins Pipeline docs talk about this new buildingTag condition: https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/syntax/#built-in-conditions

Looks like it was added very recently: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/1430/files

Does that mean it's in one of the Weekly releases? https://jenkins.io/download/

I didn't see it in the changelog yet: https://jenkins.io/changelog/

Found the answer to my question, I need to update my Pipeline Model Definition Plugin to take advantage of that new feature: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Pipeline+Model+Definition+Plugin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hey Kubernetes friends, I'm here again to ask how you are solving a few more unsolved problems :v:

1) There is an issue causing DNS lookups from within pods to frequently timeout, which is bad. This is tracked in a whole bunch of places as they are still trying to figure out who is responsible for fixing it. The root cause appears to be a very low level issue in libc or even the kernel so for most of us it's going to be "who has the best workaround" unless you want to run bleeding edge packages on all your nodes. Most of our apps aren't too bothered, but we have one lovely PHP app that is getting absolutely destroyed by this. Which is unfortunately responsible for a lot of our revenue, because of course it is.

Some light reading:
https://tech.xing.com/a-reason-for-unexplained-connection-timeouts-on-kubernetes-docker-abd041cf7e02
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/62628
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/56903
https://github.com/weaveworks/weave/issues/3287 (problem is not specific to Weave, but we happen to use Weave)

Have you seen this too? And if so, how are you mitigating it?

2) Authentication. We're currently doing simple certificate based auth. You authenticate with a cert, and then get authorized to do or not do stuff based on comparing your cert's CN to the defined roles and rolebindings. Which works ok. But curious if anyone is doing anything fancier or that you just like better. We're at the point where we want to start writing automation for access requests and want to make sure we're automating a good process instead of just speeding up trash.

My main issue with the cert approach is that kubernetes doesn't appear to support revoking certs/checking a CRL. You can effectively block a cert by removing its CN from any rolebindings, but that still doesn't give me the same warm fuzzies as totally blocking the cert in the first place.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 8, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rbac with Coreos Dex authing against LDAP works really well for us.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

We keep adding new build nodes to our Jenkins, making my builds slower, because it's increasingly unlikely it'll run on a node with my build docker image cached. :negative:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vanadium posted:

We keep adding new build nodes to our Jenkins, making my builds slower, because it's increasingly unlikely it'll run on a node with my build docker image cached. :negative:

Assign labels to a small number of agents and then your own build.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The Jenkins people aren't so hyped about that idea because they want load to be Optimally Distributed and my build times aren't quite bad enough to start fights over v:shobon:v

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Vanadium posted:

The Jenkins people aren't so hyped about that idea because they want load to be Optimally Distributed and my build times aren't quite bad enough to start fights over v:shobon:v

After a couple weeks, your base images should be on all the agents by then, right?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I keep being sent to assignments were all the build agents are running on the same server. Still that pisses me off less then when I learned that were I just was; all the heavy CAD drawing generation stuff was running on the same physical server for all environments.

Friggin computers how do they work?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

poemdexter posted:

After a couple weeks, your base images should be on all the agents by then, right?

Naturally, they regularly clear the caches!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I've inherited a Jenkins system that looks pretty neglected. Seems like it's been pretty ad hoc with devs adding tests, nodes, etc. as needed and no one 'owns' this server so there's a ton of cruft and nobody in charge of cleaning it up. And of course Jenkins itself is effectively unmaintained. Is it SOP to have devs log in and add whatever they want to the CI or is someone supposed to be a gatekeeper of sorts to ensure stuff is getting added correctly, is useful, running on the right node(s), etc.? If no one is taking responsibility for it doesn't it just eventually become useless (old tests no one cares about keep running and probably failing for example), no maintenance is getting done etc.

There are (at least) three different teams using this server-- is it better to set up each team with their own Jenkins (or other CI server)? Or, since Jenkins is mostly queuing stuff on other nodes, it doesn't really matter and we can just shove everything onto a single Jenkins and each team manages their own nodes? I'm wondering if, for example QA is better served using some other tool, or if everyone should just be forced to use the same system. Which is probably ok, they're using it now, right?

If you were going to set up a new CI would you use Jenkins or is there something slightly better these days?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

mr_package posted:

I've inherited a Jenkins system that looks pretty neglected. Seems like it's been pretty ad hoc with devs adding tests, nodes, etc. as needed and no one 'owns' this server so there's a ton of cruft and nobody in charge of cleaning it up. And of course Jenkins itself is effectively unmaintained. Is it SOP to have devs log in and add whatever they want to the CI or is someone supposed to be a gatekeeper of sorts to ensure stuff is getting added correctly, is useful, running on the right node(s), etc.? If no one is taking responsibility for it doesn't it just eventually become useless (old tests no one cares about keep running and probably failing for example), no maintenance is getting done etc.

There are (at least) three different teams using this server-- is it better to set up each team with their own Jenkins (or other CI server)? Or, since Jenkins is mostly queuing stuff on other nodes, it doesn't really matter and we can just shove everything onto a single Jenkins and each team manages their own nodes? I'm wondering if, for example QA is better served using some other tool, or if everyone should just be forced to use the same system. Which is probably ok, they're using it now, right?

If you were going to set up a new CI would you use Jenkins or is there something slightly better these days?

I was in a similar spot. I pushed Concourse to our organization and have been happy. The multi-tenancy for projects is much much better than Jenkins. It's got a steep learning curve though

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
We have one person in charge of ensuring Jenkins itself is in a working state, and all the jobs are managed by the individual teams that need them. It's never been an issue. As long as you don't install plugins and give all your jobs appropriate tags for what nodes they can run on there's nothing that can really conflict between teams.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It can also depend how many teams you're talking about, how big they are, and how busy Jenkins is. Whoever initially set up our Jenkins master did one for the whole company. Which was probably fine at the time. Then we grew a bunch and there's like 15 teams all sharing it and the master is almost always executing jobs. This makes it a loving pain in the rear end to do upgrades/maintenance without making someone mad that we interrupted their jobs. Or someone decides to install a plugin and it breaks some other random team's poo poo.

We're looking at splitting that up now into per-team masters, and having the tech lead for each one own its care and feeding.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
We are moving over to google cloud builder, we love it but I probably should of used drone or concourse. There are a lot of rough edges where cloud builder makes you execute bash to do what you want. The real change for me was how I thought about builds, and the new way of working that it introduces. It basically mounts a volume in a series of containers, and then executes the individual docker containers as commands in the build pipeline. So you don’t need Uber docker containers that have all your build tools and can instead call each one at a time to do one specific task. We often found that we were installing a bunch of poo poo into a container or maybe using onbuild if we were trying to be fancy. Changing it to only build things in the shared volume means that our docker images have become tiny.

But it has decent integration into gcloud and we are finding it really easy to key off events using pub/sub and that we can use cloud functions to accomplish what we want. It’s cheap as hell, we’ve been doing 20+ builds a day and it’s cost us :10bux: so far this month. I also love that I don’t have to manage agents and have what seems like infinite capacity.

I really like it and am trying to get our stuff out of Jenkins as fast as possible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

It can also depend how many teams you're talking about, how big they are, and how busy Jenkins is. Whoever initially set up our Jenkins master did one for the whole company. Which was probably fine at the time. Then we grew a bunch and there's like 15 teams all sharing it and the master is almost always executing jobs. This makes it a loving pain in the rear end to do upgrades/maintenance without making someone mad that we interrupted their jobs. Or someone decides to install a plugin and it breaks some other random team's poo poo.

We're looking at splitting that up now into per-team masters, and having the tech lead for each one own its care and feeding.
I can't even imagine the shittiness of a world with 15 Jenkinses

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah a single Jenkins is enough.

We've moved to Jenkins Job Builder and require all jobs to exist as code. We keep all of our infrastructure as code in the same Bitbucket projects as the other related projects, so we can basically monitor $PROJECT-jobs repo for changes and treat our jobs as a CI entity themselves, all based around pull requests.

We use the docker plugin for Jenkins to execute our jobs across various swarm clusters based on labels.

Access control to Jenkins is handled by our IT group using active directory and the basic matrix plugin.

The biggest thing with Jenkins is controlling the permissions for Joe Dev to just create jobs or install plugins whenever. When I started here it was mostly a developer cluster gently caress where everyone was admin with fifty or some nodes of varying stability. We're about 100 devs strong now across six product teams and have actually been pretty stable in terms of Jenkins hygiene using this type of setup.

Still mulling how to handle our actual continuous release process in a similar way. Maybe leverage Spinnaker, but I'm not sure if there is overlap with what we're doing now.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Spinnaker is a nightmare. But it is sort of the only one that has got a decent workflow for k8s that isn’t helm.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a weird problem where I'm running containers on a dedicated docker host without any orchestration layer. Totally in the past I've just run jwilder's nginx auto config magic thing, but it only works for HTTP/S, the TCP plugin isn't wired up.

And now we're adding TCP ( web socket ) connections, any suggestions?

We have kubernetes elsewhere, but this is going in to a place where we can't use K8S, yet. Trying to use dns and avoid hard coding poo poo.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

I have a weird problem where I'm running containers on a dedicated docker host without any orchestration layer. Totally in the past I've just run jwilder's nginx auto config magic thing, but it only works for HTTP/S, the TCP plugin isn't wired up.

And now we're adding TCP ( web socket ) connections, any suggestions?

We have kubernetes elsewhere, but this is going in to a place where we can't use K8S, yet. Trying to use dns and avoid hard coding poo poo.

Is it in the cloud or bare metal?

Trafeik maybe? It can do “manual” configs and can do auto configs from a bunch of different sources of truth.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Well the idea is that it goes from one Jenkins I am responsible for to a bunch of Jenkinses individual teams are responsible for. We provide a platform and then the teams are delegated access to do what they need on it. But I take it I'm doing something very wrong here so am open to suggestions. I'm trying to do the neighborly DevOps thing here.

We get an disproportionate number of tickets requesting changes to Jenkins, upgrades, new plugins, new nodes. Everyone wants their change now. Yet if it's down for 10 seconds HipChat starts blowing up with "hey is Jenkins down for anyone else?!? Are Jerbs aren't running" comments. I want to get out of the business of managing Jenkins. Unfortunately it's also critical to the business and a shitton of jobs have built up in there over the years, so just switching to something better isn't possible overnight.

How do you all deal with this? Features of the paid Cloudbees version? Schedule a weekly maintenance window and tell people "tough poo poo, wait til Wednesday nights, and at that time the thing will be restarted so don't schedule or run stuff then"? Some other incredibly obvious thing I am missing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

Is it in the cloud or bare metal?

Trafeik maybe? It can do “manual” configs and can do auto configs from a bunch of different sources of truth.

Bare metal :(

We are Trojan horsing new services as containers in to our prod setup

I will take a look at Trafeik, haven't looked at it since the pre Rancher 1.0 days

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

Well the idea is that it goes from one Jenkins I am responsible for to a bunch of Jenkinses individual teams are responsible for. We provide a platform and then the teams are delegated access to do what they need on it. But I take it I'm doing something very wrong here so am open to suggestions. I'm trying to do the neighborly DevOps thing here.

We get an disproportionate number of tickets requesting changes to Jenkins, upgrades, new plugins, new nodes. Everyone wants their change now. Yet if it's down for 10 seconds HipChat starts blowing up with "hey is Jenkins down for anyone else?!? Are Jerbs aren't running" comments. I want to get out of the business of managing Jenkins. Unfortunately it's also critical to the business and a shitton of jobs have built up in there over the years, so just switching to something better isn't possible overnight.

How do you all deal with this? Features of the paid Cloudbees version? Schedule a weekly maintenance window and tell people "tough poo poo, wait til Wednesday nights, and at that time the thing will be restarted so don't schedule or run stuff then"? Some other incredibly obvious thing I am missing?

Just foster an environment for shadow IT to thrive in. The problem will probably take care of itself.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you are farming it out, why not farm it out to something new that forces appdevs to maintain their own CI pipelines.

I’d just offer the carrot of not Jenkins and let devs who complain move over to concourse/drone/travis.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

I have a customer that has a similar problem with VSTS build. One central "ops" group, but lots of individual teams that all have different build requirements and a constantly shifting sea of crap that needs to be installed for their builds to work. Some of which break builds for other groups. Great fun.

Something I've been experimenting with for them is containerizing the agent and build environment. Let them be responsible for maintaining their own build stuff, then it's just a matter of giving them the means of running their containers. The problem I've been having is that Windows containers are still kind of, uh, lovely. And that this customer is totally incompetent and I'm not sure they'd be capable of understanding or maintaining a containerized solution, but that's not a technology problem.

I don't see why something similar couldn't be applied to Jenkins.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

same

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
What seems common is when devs refuse to properly learn how to write Jenkins jobs (super stateful job nodes hand jammed with tools and random rear end config files or running it all on master) and want you to help them with their jobs while claiming that they can’t move off of Jenkins due to so much “investment” into it. When you’ve written all their deployment pipelines for them and picked out the plugins, it is YOU and not the team that has made the hard investments, not the team that uses it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Hadlock posted:

Bare metal :(

I will take a look at Trafeik, haven't looked at it since the pre Rancher 1.0 days

Traefik is fine if all you care about is L7 HTTP ingress. Right now we're using it for our HTTP services but we want to do L4 as well for stuff that doesn't talk HTTP, so we're keeping a close eye on Istio/Envoy to see what surfaces there. We'd also like to see about doing load balancing via anycast; we use Calico for our container networking and they don't seem to have much interest in implementing anycast LB in the short-term.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you cannot jenkins your way out of the devops trap

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Docjowles posted:

You're either the Jenkins farmer of the group or you're not. Once you are the designated Jenkins farmer, if you want to get out of that role you will probably need to change companies. Once you find the one guy on the team who is willing to take Jenkins tickets with minimal complaints, you just shovel all the jenkins tickets down their throat until they choke and die, and/or quit. There is nothing less professionally fulfilling than being a Jenkins farmer.

Spending all day tomorrow setting up our first four Jenkins container pipelines at work tomorrow :toot:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

What seems common is when devs refuse to properly learn how to write Jenkins jobs (super stateful job nodes hand jammed with tools and random rear end config files or running it all on master) and want you to help them with their jobs while claiming that they can’t move off of Jenkins due to so much “investment” into it. When you’ve written all their deployment pipelines for them and picked out the plugins, it is YOU and not the team that has made the hard investments, not the team that uses it.

Our Jenkins people seem to have a strong opinion about devs not loving with the nodes and just doing everything weird in containers, which seems extremely reasonable.

I try to make the active part of all my Jenkins jobs a single line invoking a shell script from the repo, but maybe I'm overdoing the ”I don't want to get too invested in jenkins” thing. We have a suboptimal setup where we use the same job for all branches of a given repo, so trying out changes to the job in a branch is unnecessarily painful otherwise too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Multiscm jobs are pretty trivial tbh.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vanadium posted:

I try to make the active part of all my Jenkins jobs a single line invoking a shell script from the repo, but maybe I'm overdoing the ”I don't want to get too invested in jenkins” thing. We have a suboptimal setup where we use the same job for all branches of a given repo, so trying out changes to the job in a branch is unnecessarily painful otherwise too.
The one thing worth hammering home is that if you can set up a build pipeline without needing any weird plugins, you should do it. It will make things easier to test in isolation and it will drastically improve your ability to change in the long run.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chutwig posted:

Traefik is fine if all you care about is L7 HTTP ingress. Right now we're using it for our HTTP services but we want to do L4 as well for stuff that doesn't talk HTTP

We just stood up a bunch of nginx pretty much exactly for this purpose. Bonus points for having to do UDP balancing across services. :smith:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I honestly don't know how I would use a build pipeline. We just have Jenkins build a thing and then file it away for later, manually triggered deployment, stopping the build if tests fail or whatever. With everybody being excited about pipelines I feel like I'm missing something huge. I could see triggering deploys automatically if we had more confidence in our tests and uh our deploy workflow, is that what makes it a pipeline?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think this was posted here yet, but Humble Bundle is doing a pretty decent looking package of DevOps books / materials - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/devops-books

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I think pipelines are more useful when you don't want to do multiple Jenkins jobs chained together with upstream / downstream nonsense and want a pretty view of build steps to show people at a glance how lovely your build and deployment process is.

Vanadium posted:

Our Jenkins people seem to have a strong opinion about devs not loving with the nodes and just doing everything weird in containers, which seems extremely reasonable.

1. 100% of the Jenkins installations I've worked with existed before I got there and artisinal hand-configured by developers into non-repeatability and brittleness years before containers even existed requiring me to either start slave servers from scratch while reverse engineering existing configurations (fully none of them work because people hard-code paths in build code for some reason). Nowadays, if I was forced to use Jenkins I'd probably force everyone to learn Docker and stop making things worse for ourselves down the road when we try to migrate off of Jenkins. Heck, I think in future jobs I might want to screen companies based upon whether they use Jenkins.

2. The problem I've hit with "use a single shell script for the whole drat build" is that when you need credentials you'll need to use environment variables or secrets files or whatnot, and Jenkins in a shell step will rape and pillage it and its descendent shells for your shell variables and try to substitute in environment variables or some other weird crap, which makes debugging super duper awful in my experience with Jenkins. It's how a shell script inside my Jenkinsfile buried under a Python subprocess call did the following:
code:
for path in *jsonpath.json; do
  /usr/bin/aws s3 cp $path s3://$bucket/jsonpaths/$path
done
When ran under Jenkins expands into...
code:
for path in *jsonpath.json; do
  /usr/bin/aws s3 cp {'some':'goddamn', 'dictionary': 'yeah'} s3://null/jsonpaths/{'some':'goddamn', 'dictionary': 'yeah'}
done
The Jenkins Groovy variable that's the dictionary getting expanded isn't even named path and I don't even reference it in that stage. This is my presumption given the only output I get from the sub-shell is actually the following:
code:
Invalid endpoint: [url]https://s3.[/url][key:value,foo:bar,passwordkey:*******]
Variables in Jenkins are complete garbage and interact in non-clean ways with anything else run under it wasting tons of time and delivering negative business value. Even full-time Groovy coders I know have trouble dealing with Jenkins pipeline scripts (both declarative and scripted). I struggled with a pipeline wiping out 2 or 3 of my variables but not any others between stages before I just hard-coded it all and committed it with a "Jenkins is hot garbage" message. The fact we need a document like https://gist.github.com/Faheetah/e11bd0315c34ed32e681616e41279ef4 is why I avoid Jenkins and, similarly, Ansible now. It's nonsense programming now.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I mean I try to avoid putting anything inside the groovy files apart from sh 'bash do-the-actual-build.sh' and if that manages to do something non-intuitive with variable substitution I'm gonna be hella impressed. Using string interpolation in one lang to hopefully get correctly quoted values into another lang is just hell, I hope I don't end up with a Jenkins setup where I can't just put whatever into the environment instead.

I guess the thing with triggering downstream jobs is moot when all my jobs pin or vendor their dependencies anyway, welp.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

2. The problem I've hit with "use a single shell script for the whole drat build" is that when you need credentials you'll need to use environment variables or secrets files or whatnot, and Jenkins in a shell step will rape and pillage it and its descendent shells for your shell variables and try to substitute in environment variables or some other weird crap, which makes debugging super duper awful in my experience with Jenkins.
Shove that poo poo in Vault

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

How do I authenticate against vault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vanadium posted:

How do I authenticate against vault?
IAM