Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man Alex and his droogs have moved way beyond alcohol. Amphetamines, mescaline, adrenochrome.

Dencrom, synthmesc and knives moloko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The moral with kale is raw veggies loving suck everything tastes better cooked and the stuff that doesn't taste better cooked is poo poo like lettuce.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ChaseSP posted:

The moral with kale is raw veggies loving suck everything tastes better cooked and the stuff that doesn't taste better cooked is poo poo like lettuce.

:gary::wrong::yarg:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Goons getting outraged at vegetables ITT

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well I am outraged at cooking mushrooms but that's a fungus

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gotta agree that veggo and vegan food is best when it's a cuisine or meal that was designed for it, not just a meat meal with the meat replaced or removed. That said, there are also plenty of meals that you can make vegan or vegetarian pretty easily

Basically if you can cook well then vegan/veggo food is fine. This thread is full of great examples of how any good food can be ruined by lovely cooking or presentation

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scathach posted:

Ooh I just sauteed onions and mushrooms with butter to top a steak. Like, just an hour ago. Did you feel it upset the balance?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Brawnfire posted:

Ooh I just sauteed onions and mushrooms with butter to top a steak. Like, just an hour ago. Did you feel it upset the balance?

Yes :smith:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I’m someone who demands the jellied Ocean Spray cranberry sauce at thanksgiving to be cut into slices and served as-is. Definitely would with the pineapple Jell-O, though maybe not with lime.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Killingyouguy! posted:

isn't kale one of those things where it was an affordable poor people food until hipsters caught wind of it and now it's $7 a leaf
It was sold as a garbage garnish plant commercially. Until the 2000s it was something like nobody was buying it beside Pizza Hut for their buffet garnish.

Kales fine but I'll take almost any other cabbage over it except for actual literal cabbage.

It's cabbage so basically a leafy weed so if your paying $7 a leaf you're buying it at a rip off store.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mushrooms should be cooked and added to 94% of all savory dishes

Especially carbonara made with linguini and also with shrimp

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

I’m someone who demands the jellied Ocean Spray cranberry sauce at thanksgiving to be cut into slices and served as-is. Definitely would with the pineapple Jell-O, though maybe not with lime.

Canned cranberry sauce > "real" cranberry sauce

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Killingyouguy! posted:

isn't kale one of those things where it was an affordable poor people food until hipsters caught wind of it and now it's $7 a leaf

Nah, price spikes happen when demand suddenly outstrips supply. This is more likely to happen with something that grows on a tree or shrub that takes years to mature, or with something that only grows in very specific conditions.

Kale is an annual cabbage that can be grown almost anywhere in America, not some particular mountainous region of Peru or something. Real easy for any farmer to substitute kale for any other kind of cabbage with just a year or two of lead time. Seed companies can easily quadruple seed production within a couple years. It just isn't difficult to scale up commercial kale production.

You will see a more significant price difference for the organic kale sold in stores for neurotic people with too much money. So if you saw a kale in a Piggly Wiggly 10 years ago and then you see a kale in Whole Foods today it may look like a huge price jump, but that's just the organic surcharge.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Wasn't the case of a health food making people suddenly unable to afford a staple couscous? Or some other graib.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Wasn't the case of a health food making people suddenly unable to afford a staple couscous? Or some other graib.

It was quinoa, but apparently that was a myth so everyone can continue eating their strange ancient grains.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

The smell of frying onions is a primal food trigger to me. Cooking onions? SO HUNGRY! The sight of nicely sauteed mushrooms is the same for my eyes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scathach posted:

It was quinoa, but apparently that was a myth so everyone can continue eating their strange ancient grains.

I rather like some of those whole grain ancient grain breads because they taste good to me and make good sandwiches. That is all.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I rather like some of those whole grain ancient grain breads because they taste good to me and make good sandwiches. That is all.

I like quinoa because it's easy to flavor and the little old Alzheimer's lady I take care of will eat it. It's a good grain.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
Someone once pointed out to me that cooked quinoa looks like tiny used condoms and now I can't unsee it. :(

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

imagine being like this

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lol if u can't enjoy a raw carrot or bell pepper or perhaps any culinary vegetables like tomatoes or cucumbers

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Snoo posted:

lol if u can't enjoy a raw carrot or bell pepper or perhaps any culinary vegetables like tomatoes or cucumbers

I also laugh at the less fortunate.

Suck it, losers. Signed, your genetic betters.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
lol if u dont eat raw potatoes and squash

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The only thing I eat are raw jalapenos tbh

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Same.

... or grilled. Grilled jalapenos are dope.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

mushrooms are like cookable flavor sponges, loving saute them bitches with butter and a little wine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grognan posted:

mushrooms are like cookable flavor sponges, loving saute them bitches with butter and a little wine.

Sear them over very high heat and deglaze with sherry vinegar

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
.... or put them in the trash where they belong.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That's my goto when my sinuses are backed up. Just slice them up and eat them as is, my sinuses thank me each time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Zipperelli. posted:

.... or put them in the trash where they belong.

Why do eat dinner from inside a trash can?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

where you don't have a ziploc large enough for all the take out

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
TBH I liked mushrooms as a kid because of of mario on the NES, like if they were there then sure why not

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Samizdata posted:

The smell of frying onions is a primal food trigger to me. Cooking onions? SO HUNGRY! The sight of nicely sauteed mushrooms is the same for my eyes.

so loving :same:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

how dare you

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I only eat rear end.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Killingyouguy! posted:

When I worked at a catering place 20 years ago we used kale as a garnish to go under and around the food people were paying money for.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Snoo posted:

ummm, actually, tomato is a fruit and furthermore,

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Scathach posted:

I like quinoa because it's easy to flavor and the little old Alzheimer's lady I take care of will eat it. It's a good grain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP-ewdJYJc

every now and then I am pleasantly reminded that this man is an American treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The kale as a super bougie thing is so strange to me because for me growing up, kale was something only my dad ate and he definitely did not sauté it or julienne it to eat raw with some sprouted seeds - it was boiled, and served along with boiled hairy bacon and boiled floury spuds.

Stern, solid food, no frills.