Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bruceski posted:

I mainly know him as the forger in The Great Escape.

I’ve gone blind from forging thousands of Nazi documents!! Save me, Jim Rockford!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Hot take: Carnival Magic is the best and most consistent s11 episode.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I still love off brand starwars Starcrash.

That ding dang southern robot!

The UFO song kills me every time.

I like to let episodes replay every now and then for background noise when I'm working on things and they still get some chuckles out of me.

Can't wait for season 12!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I don't know how George Lucas didn't sue the pants of off them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Field Mousepad posted:

He couldn't

Italian production

Besides that I don't think he would have. Dude loved poo poo like this, and this movie has enough

Original

Material in it that any lawsuit would be tenuous at best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Didn't he sue the producers of Battlestar Galactica?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Even if he did it clearly didn't go anywhere

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Antiquated Pants posted:

I still love off brand starwars Starcrash.

That ding dang southern robot!

The UFO song kills me every time.

I like to let episodes replay every now and then for background noise when I'm working on things and they still get some chuckles out of me.

Can't wait for season 12!

That robot is the best thing in season 11, and I liked most of season 11.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Field Mousepad posted:

Nobody in the movie wears pants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Didn't they play up a relationship to Star Wars that was tenuous at best?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Jonah Ray revealed that we can look forward to references to Nightmare on Elm St., People Under the Stairs and Suspiria in season 12.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they play up a relationship to Star Wars that was tenuous at best?

The producers of Battlestar Galactica did a smash-and-grab job on the staff of ILM, which is what pissed off Lucas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It was also created by Glen A Larson, who look at popular things from movies, than rip them off for tv:

Coogan's Bluff because McCloud
Star Wars became Buck Rogers*, and BG
Tron became Automan
Any Which Way But Loose became B.J. and the Bear
Hooper became The Fall Guy

*while he licensed Buck Rogers, there's no denying the impact Star Wars had on it.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ah, now I finally understand how Space Mutiny could say "from the effects team that brought you Star Wars!" on the box.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Hot take: Carnival Magic is the best and most consistent s11 episode.

:agreed:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

It definitely has the feel of a S04.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"you're too stupid to learn about ancient dentistry"

still gets me every time and i've seen space mutiny an embarrasing amount of times

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
"She's got an armadillo down er trousers!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
sir i think its very nice of you to give that dead woman another chance

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

sir i think its very nice of you to give that dead woman another chance

Look alive, everyone--oh, sorry, Susan. :sweatdrop:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"you're too stupid to learn about ancient dentistry"

still gets me every time and i've seen space mutiny an embarrasing amount of times

You monster...how dare you insult my knowledge of ancient dentistry?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, but has there been any news yet as to when Season 11 will be publicly released on DVD?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Are there any Netflix originals that get standalone DVD releases?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's already out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Larryb posted:

I forget, but has there been any news yet as to when Season 11 will be publicly released on DVD?

It was released a few weeks ago. Got mine from Amazon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it any different from the kickstarter release?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, I'll have to pick it up then as I don't have Netflix and never got to watch it initially.

business hammocks posted:

Is it any different from the kickstarter release?

Near as I can tell from what I've heard, I think it's just the kickstarter release only now made publicly available

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think most of the bonus features were actually exclusive to the Kickstarter version.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You can also buy HD digital copies through RiffTrax.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching older stuff on Netflix, and after Time of the Apes, I wondered if the house band ever played the Sandy Frank song on the new show.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

twistedmentat posted:

I was watching older stuff on Netflix, and after Time of the Apes, I wondered if the house band ever played the Sandy Frank song on the new show.

They didn’t, but it also wasn’t on Clowns in the Sky, so I assume it was one of the songs that used music from the movie. It’s been long enough since I’ve seen the episode that I can’t remember for sure.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

flatluigi posted:

Are there any Netflix originals that get standalone DVD releases?

House of Cards comes to mind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TVs Ian posted:

They didn’t, but it also wasn’t on Clowns in the Sky, so I assume it was one of the songs that used music from the movie. It’s been long enough since I’ve seen the episode that I can’t remember for sure.

I think your right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN10-n1NBc

it certainly sounds like its a refrain of the music from the film. I don't know why but Tom with the monkey face on his dome cracks me up every time I think of it.

A post in a FB group was "hey what are your favorite MS3TK bits that aren't Watch Out For Snakes?" and I posted "BANG!" and another poster said "no new stuff, that's not real mst3k". Like what? Not only is Cry Wilderness a modern classic, the fact that Joel is behind the new stuff means its as valid as anything from the 90s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any group that says that is an instant walk away

Not real MST3K, bitch!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BANG is an instant classic gag, anyway. You'd think it would stop being funny as the movie goes on, but it doesn't!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

I think your right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN10-n1NBc

it certainly sounds like its a refrain of the music from the film. I don't know why but Tom with the monkey face on his dome cracks me up every time I think of it.

A post in a FB group was "hey what are your favorite MS3TK bits that aren't Watch Out For Snakes?" and I posted "BANG!" and another poster said "no new stuff, that's not real mst3k". Like what? Not only is Cry Wilderness a modern classic, the fact that Joel is behind the new stuff means its as valid as anything from the 90s.

The melody of the Sandy Frank song is indeed from the credits of Time of the Apes. (I just watched that one the other day, I'm belatedly getting to the "new" batch of episodes currently up on Netflix.)

Also, the "that's not real mst3k" stuff reminds me of nothing so much as the slapfight on Usenet over Joel vs. Mike, from the mid-90s. They'll come around. Today there are approximately zero people who are still against Mike. Nothing's changed at all.

And it's a perfect time to revisit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Powered Descent posted:

The melody of the Sandy Frank song is indeed from the credits of Time of the Apes. (I just watched that one the other day, I'm belatedly getting to the "new" batch of episodes currently up on Netflix.)

Also, the "that's not real mst3k" stuff reminds me of nothing so much as the slapfight on Usenet over Joel vs. Mike, from the mid-90s. They'll come around. Today there are approximately zero people who are still against Mike. Nothing's changed at all.

And it's a perfect time to revisit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

I remember hearing about that. It was pretty dumb, like I've watched a ton of stuff since mst3k has become more widely available, and I like Joel's delivery more but Mike is still a great host.

Burkion posted:

Any group that says that is an instant walk away

Not real MST3K, bitch!

Lucky other posters were all "no gently caress you, new episodes are amazing"

Bruceski posted:

BANG is an instant classic gag, anyway. You'd think it would stop being funny as the movie goes on, but it doesn't!

I also really love "Oh you got a Stallone! Come on! Get out!" when they see the guy at the table. It and Starcrash I'd say are as good as any other mst3k episode from the earlier seasons. I recently watched the whole thing through again and I am still really perplexed by Wizards of the Hidden Kingdom 2. The first one has a story, and it makes sense. Its not great, but you can at least follow it. The second is just so weird. It's hard to follow, the character are all over the place in everything they do, and just a mess.

Oh i love the comment when Micky Hargitay and Jayne Mansfield kiss on screen the joke is "these people are married in real life and that's how they kiss?"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just start by quoting the many names of Space Mutiny guy then subtly transition to the joke names of all the Star Crash vehicles.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

I remember hearing about that. It was pretty dumb, like I've watched a ton of stuff since mst3k has become more widely available, and I like Joel's delivery more but Mike is still a great host.

I was introduced to both mst3k and the Internet in late '94, both of them since that's when I started college. After starting out on the five-nights-a-week reruns of the Joel episodes on Comedy Central, I admit that my first reaction to a first-run Mike episode was "Who's this jagoff? Bring back Joel!" There were plenty of people on this newfangled Internet thing who agreed. But I kept watching, and soon enough my tune changed and I came to accept both hosts as equals.

And now that I've admitted to being old, here's an even earlier historical event I was around for: the debut of Star Trek: The Next Generation. As a kid in the 80s, I grew up on reruns and VHS tapes of the original series, and like most people, I was really slow to accept TNG into the ranks of "real" Trek. But I did. So did everyone else.

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I still get misty (MSTie?) every time I watch this. It really is beautiful.