Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I mean, yeah it's a huge fuckup but the ability to own up to it and not compound it is pretty huge too.

Going to school with 22 year olds is warping my judgement I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Anybody have experience in Norfolk living in Ghent or downtown? Since Norfolk is the heart of Navydom on Earth, I figure the odds are pretty good. I'm moving there this summer and looking at apartments in those areas. Currently leaning towards downtown, there are some nice places available for single O3 bucks. Or O4 bucks, depending how the board goes this month.

e: poms for the pom God

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody have experience in Norfolk living in Ghent or downtown? Since Norfolk is the heart of Navydom on Earth, I figure the odds are pretty good. I'm moving there this summer and looking at apartments in those areas. Currently leaning towards downtown, there are some nice places available for single O3 bucks. Or O4 bucks, depending how the board goes this month.

Ghent is really good, I remember looking at Ghent as an E4 almost E5 and thinking it was really pricy, but you can definitely afford it. You're close to everything, and far enough from base that you won't notice it much (lmao who am I kidding you're in Norfolk, the literal heart of the US Navy, you're not getting away from it unless you move a hundred miles away)

I do not have any recommendations for places to stay in Ghent, as it's been 6 years since I've been in Norfolk, and poo poo changes, but I remember there being a lot of good restaurants and entertainment near there.

E: I forgot, the midtown tunnel is literally rear end, you will loving despise traffic as it is 2 lanes feeding a good portion of the city. Drive it before you decide to move to Ghent.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 9, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My friend lived in Ghent area when he was stationed there as an O2/O3. Affordable, easy walking to pretty much everything. I think he was in Pembroke Towers or Hague Towers or one of those. Anything in that area is going to be more expensive than most anywhere in Norfolk, but it was SUPER convenient to hit up bars and shopping and Nauticus and places like that. I haven't been over there in a couple of years though, and last time I was, Waterside was headed downhill and kinda pulling the area with it.

In other news: Shore Duty West Coast Submariners are remarkably chill (for submariners). The weather and scenery in Bangor is absolutely top notch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My friend lived in Ghent area when he was stationed there as an O2/O3. Affordable, easy walking to pretty much everything. I think he was in Pembroke Towers or Hague Towers or one of those. Anything in that area is going to be more expensive than most anywhere in Norfolk, but it was SUPER convenient to hit up bars and shopping and Nauticus and places like that. I haven't been over there in a couple of years though, and last time I was, Waterside was headed downhill and kinda pulling the area with it.

In other news: Shore Duty West Coast Submariners are remarkably chill (for submariners). The weather and scenery in Bangor is absolutely top notch.

It really is. Did you try out the lakes on base for fishing?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The weather and scenery in Bangor is absolutely top notch.

I wanted to re-up just to stay in Bangor when I passed through for TPU on the way out of the Navy.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You looking for apartments or houses? I lived at Promenade Point as an O1-O2, but they have 3 bedroom places for $1760. It was about 3 miles away from the base, but still had easy access to the highway and wasn't far from downtown. I think a lot of young officers live there, but it was quiet, and you almost never interact with anyone if you don't want to.

Bad part is that it was on Tidewater, but I never heard of break-ins or anything being stolen during my 2 1/2 years there. It's a gated community with a decent sized pool, gym, and rec room. Biggest problem I noticed was trying to turn left out of the front gate after 8 am. That sucked.

I had a friend that rented a house in the Ghent area. She'd probably tell you to get a place in Chesapeake if you want to be away from SAILORDOM.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

The Valley Stared posted:

First hearing in the Fitz case was today. Stars and Stripes seems to have the most in-depth coverage of what happened.

I won't post my personal opinions on it. I'm mostly focusing on my grad school work and looking at stuff for my hobby.

I'm not really angry about what happened anymore, but there's still a lot of guilt. I'm taking care of myself. I've seen professionals and will keep doing so. There's been more of a focus lately on reaching out to the McCain and Fitz sailors to make sure we're doing alright, and while it's not perfect, it's better then big Navy just trying to forget that we exist.

Mr. Bad Guy? Keep your head straight for the next 6 months. People look up to you. Not trying to rub more salt in the wound, but gently caress man.

All politics aside, you are, and I say this with all seriousness, a hero.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I had a friend that rented a house in the Ghent area. She'd probably tell you to get a place in Chesapeake if you want to be away from SAILORDOM.

Some people are willing to put up with it to get a big house or nice school, but I would sooner commute on a unicycle every day than have to take a bridge or tunnel to get to work. One guy I know had to take two tunnels, that was sheer insanity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Please don't share my FetLife account name here.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Please don't share my FetLife account name here.

I just had to go find out what the gently caress FetLife was.

:stare:

Mother loving :stare:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I just had to go find out what the gently caress FetLife was.

:stare:

Mother loving :stare:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/full-horses-toilet/1/

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Black Balloon posted:

All politics aside, you are, and I say this with all seriousness, a hero.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm no hero. My sailors are the real heroes, and they deserve all the praise. I've spoken with a few of them, and they seem to be doing alright. Hopefully they'll be alright for the year anniversary next month.

As for the guilt; a lot of it is tied up in "what if" scenarios which I know I can't do anything about. The other part is based on decisions that I had to make. I'm not fishing for sympathy or anything like that. This is just to explain why it's there. Logically I know the things I did were correct, but it's just something that's likely always going to be there. It's not nagging me anymore, and most days I don't think about it. There still has yet to be a day when I don't think about those we lost though.

Yesterday was another hearing, but so far I haven't seen anything about it.

The biggest reason I'm not voicing my opinion on what's going on is I'm trying to be a better person. I look at my posts in the initial weeks after the collision and there's so much anger there. It didn't add anything, it didn't change anything. It was just anger. The only thing I'll say I'm still upset about is the flags asking why no one said "no" to missions out in 7th fleet. When your 3 star says that he couldn't say no to missions, how the hell is an O-5 going to say no? If they did, it just pushed the job to someone else who was also overworked and undermanned.

The tunnel is the biggest downside to living in Chesapeake. The flooding has likely only gotten worse too in recent years. But if you want a sweet brand new house, it's there or Suffolk. I guess Williamsburg if you want to live up North, but still, you're driving in at 4 in the morning if you want that life.

Sorry to reveal your Fetlife name, Dr. Arbitrary. I thought it was an open secret.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm no hero. My sailors are the real heroes, and they deserve all the praise. I've spoken with a few of them, and they seem to be doing alright. Hopefully they'll be alright for the year anniversary next month.

As for the guilt; a lot of it is tied up in "what if" scenarios which I know I can't do anything about. The other part is based on decisions that I had to make. I'm not fishing for sympathy or anything like that. This is just to explain why it's there. Logically I know the things I did were correct, but it's just something that's likely always going to be there. It's not nagging me anymore, and most days I don't think about it. There still has yet to be a day when I don't think about those we lost though.

The biggest reason I'm not voicing my opinion on what's going on is I'm trying to be a better person. I look at my posts in the initial weeks after the collision and there's so much anger there. It didn't add anything, it didn't change anything. It was just anger. The only thing I'll say I'm still upset about is the flags asking why no one said "no" to missions out in 7th fleet. When your 3 star says that he couldn't say no to missions, how the hell is an O-5 going to say no? If they did, it just pushed the job to someone else who was also overworked and undermanned.

The tunnel is the biggest downside to living in Chesapeake. The flooding has likely only gotten worse too in recent years. But if you want a sweet brand new house, it's there or Suffolk. I guess Williamsburg if you want to live up North, but still, you're driving in at 4 in the morning if you want that life.

Sorry to reveal your Fetlife name, Dr. Arbitrary. I thought it was an open secret.

Letting go of the anger is a really good sign (and it's something I have a lot of trouble with), so good for you on that.

If you ever find yourself within 90 minutes or so of the DC area, let me know. Drinks are on me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think you'll ever pay for drinks or grass anytime soon if anyone knows who you are.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
When I lived in Chesapeake I used to just work 5-2 and traffic wasn't bad.

Your command's support of flexible work hours may vary.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I know the answer is no because who wants to pay for public transport but, did anything happen with trying to expand the Wave or whatever the light rail was called out to NOB?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
TVS or McNally (hell, any Navy thread regulars), if you're ever in Vancouver, BC, I'll buy you a nice dinner and let my baby smile at you.

In other news, the VA will pay for service-connected conditions abroad. In Canada they coordinate with the Canadian VA!

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 10, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dorstein posted:

TVS or McNally (hell, any Navy thread regulars), if you're ever in Vancouver, BC, I'll buy you a nice dinner and let my baby smile at you.

In other news, the VA will pay for service-connected conditions abroad. In Canada they coordinate with the Canadian VA!

I'm a Navy thread regular? How'd that happen?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

McNally posted:

You made the best post ever in the Navy thread dude.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

You made the best post ever in the Navy thread dude.

Remind us?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

It really is. Did you try out the lakes on base for fishing?

I'm goin tomorrow, with MWR rented poles. I'm thinking of doing "worm on hook under bobber." What kind of fish can I expect to catch.

What kind of tackle do I need, in general? For what fish? The MWR page says "the lake is stocked twice a year" but not with what. I assume some flavor of trout.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

You in DC? Me n Cole are wandering the land.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

Near enough to DC. 90 minutes if I drive in, longer if I drive to a metro station and not deal with parking in the city.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm goin tomorrow, with MWR rented poles. I'm thinking of doing "worm on hook under bobber." What kind of fish can I expect to catch.

What kind of tackle do I need, in general? For what fish? The MWR page says "the lake is stocked twice a year" but not with what. I assume some flavor of trout.

Yeah big trout plant for kids events. There’s some benches around the lake near the play structure. Lot of snags in the weeds and worms attract blue gills like crazy. Most of the people catching trout there use rooster tail spinners from what I saw.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LingcodKilla posted:

Go to the air and space and send me photos of the sled

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I got photos of the sleds in Florida and Alabama.
The Florida one has the long penis dangling behind it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I saw the one in Mobile, it’s a pretty decent museum.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

I saw the one in Mobile, it’s a pretty decent museum.

Yeah and the Drum is coming along nicely. Poor Alabama is an utter rust bucket. It’s a poor place to stick a steel ship.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah and the Drum is coming along nicely. Poor Alabama is an utter rust bucket. It’s a poor place to stick a steel ship.

Oceans are bad places to put steel ships.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Some people are willing to put up with it to get a big house or nice school, but I would sooner commute on a unicycle every day than have to take a bridge or tunnel to get to work. One guy I know had to take two tunnels, that was sheer insanity.

Come live around Chick's Beach with the rest of the air wing already jeez

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Oceans are bad places to put steel ships.

I'd say it more the humidity there than elsewhere.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

gently caress you buddy, your a hero to me. I've done the DCA gig. You ever find your way up to Ketch you have a couch and all the fish you can eat. When the freezer is empty we can go get more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TVS you’ll be a naval goon and probably milgoon celebrity whether you like it or not! :lol: :glomp:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man haven’t been in this thread a while but

owns

Though I gotta chuckle at any enlisted that gets that mess dress poo poo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That genuinely makes me happy to see

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Same.

I’m also happy at all the feathers poo poo like that ruffles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
10 month anniversary of getting out. Got another reserves recruitment solicitation. I think im going to have to pass, I don't ever plan on shaving two days in a row ever again.