Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I just got an offer for a contract that I thought I was under-qualified for, so when the contract company called me about salary, I was just going to take whatever they offered, but then I got a little backup confidence thinking about this thread mid-phonecall.

They asked me what I was making now (lol), I told them I wasn't allowed to say because of my contract, but I told them what I was looking for based on the terms of their contract. I said $45/hr (which is a huge increase for me- I make $30/hr now). They came back and said they could do $42/hr but had originally only budgeted for $40. Just netted myself an extra $4,160 a year with basically two sentences worth of effort, for a total of a $24,960/yr increase.

Never don't negotiate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thank you thread for the good advice. In December last year, I encouraged my wife to hold out for more than the $83k she was offered. They countered with $93k and she accepted.

I also just accepted an offer following the advice in this thread. I’m currently at $90k, was offered $105k for a lateral move at another employer. I balked, asked for $110k-$115k and provided justification. They countered with $110k plus $2000 signing bonus, which I accepted.

In all my years of working, I’ve never negotiated and just accepted what I was given. Thank you for giving me the info I needed to ask for what I believe I’m worth! In short:

m0therfux0r posted:

Never don't negotiate

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm going for an interview for a job I don't really intend to take. I am fairly sure that they will never offer (significantly) more than the publically posted salary, which is way below what I make now. I want to be upfront about the fact that I have no interest in the job if they don't match my current pay, but obviously I don't want to give that.

I am interested in the job, but I am happy with my current job and have no reason to switch, especially with a paycut.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Practice interview.

Plus, you never know what opportunities may open up later if you positively impress someone.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Practice interview.

Plus, you never know what opportunities may open up later if you positively impress someone.

Yeah that's mostly why I'm doing it, I figured interviewing with a clear goal to overshoot would be an interesting experience. Really, I don't even know what I'd do if they do offer me the job at a decent salary, no matter how unlikely it is.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I'm going for an interview for a job I don't really intend to take. I am fairly sure that they will never offer (significantly) more than the publically posted salary, which is way below what I make now. I want to be upfront about the fact that I have no interest in the job if they don't match my current pay, but obviously I don't want to give that.

I am interested in the job, but I am happy with my current job and have no reason to switch, especially with a paycut.

You could just ask for what you want upfront. If you're way above the posted salary you're going to have to do so at some point. The only downside to this is you don't have the impression, hopefully good, from the interview backing your ask.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Use the classic "Are there many opportunities for promotion within the company, rather than recruitment from outside?" followed by asking them what the salary range for your position is. Then tell them you would need $xxxx more, otherwise you would actually be taking a pay cut, if you were to be offered the job.
Worked for me, I actually went to a job at one of my sub-contractors and got £5k more, then was promoted within 6 months.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I'm sure this has been answered before but couldn't find it in the thread.

I'm doing a lot of online applications that have a required field for "desired salary" that demand a numerical value or won't let you proceed. Is there a consensus about the best way to handle this?

I've been putting "0", is this screwing me over?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Take whatever you'd accept and double it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Won't that cause you to be passed over for offers you might have taken? I've been doing the 0 thing as well

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No more than putting 0 will.

What I'm really saying is, in any situation that you are absolutely forced to name a number, make drat sure it's high because they WILL lowball it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would put zero over doubling a value you'd accept. Zero is likely to be interpreted as I don't want to say while double may be excluded cause they set a cap.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 11, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
in exchange you get a chance of it going the other way

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
they offer you double your salary and then you look the man in the eye on the phone and you say the benefits aren't good enough and I need more

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I know the consensus is to not accept the counteroffer. I had recently gotten a promotion to a senior role at $90k at my current job. I accepted a new job in the same title doing the same thing for a competitor at $110k.

When I gave my notice, my current employer asked if there was anything they could do to keep me. I haven’t responded yet. I don’t think it’s a good idea based on the advice ITT, however, my current manager is probably the best I’ve ever had and actively goes to bat for me for promotions and changes that I request. I can’t really complain too much about my current job, I just want a gig that will keep me busy and the new one will obviously pay me more. I don’t know if the current job would match pay to compensate, but I wondered if I should even ask.

Am I being stupid?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

What advice ITT are you referring to? If you have a unicorn of a boss and they can match your salary increase, staying seems like an option

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
In my opinion, it depends on the circumstances. If you had opened the promotion discussion in the past and did what they said you needed to do to earn the promo but never got it, then I could see this as an opportunity to get it from your current employer. But if you're relatively new and/or hadn't ever brought up your desire for additional responsibilities, seeking outside employment opportunities signals to your manager that he/she needs to find your replacement. Taking the counter offer in that latter scenario just buys your manager more time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Your current manager could change at any time. Do not accept a counteroffer. Your boss might have the best intentions, but his/her boss will immediately begin finding a cheaper replacement for you and will unceremoniously fire you as soon as one is found. Go to the company that actively wants you.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Good points, thank you for the info and advice. Yeah, really the only reason I’d stay is the familiarity with the systems, my manager and if they increased my pay, but managers can can anytime and I can get used to the rest, plus I’m already getting more pay at the new company.

People often hop in between these competitors, so I’ll give the new company 2 years so i can keep the signing bonus and if I don’t like it then, I’ll look around again.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
How long did it take you to get this superior offer? How likely is it that you can get another similar offer in a relatively short time frame?

Generally, yes, don't take counteroffers. Some mitigating factors that would lead to taking one:

- Other measurable dimensions than your salary are better where you are than at your new place.
- Your role is difficult to fill, so you have some lead time and will know when they've found your replacement.
- You are financially prepared to be fired with a good emergency fund.
- You have an unusually good relationship with your current manager.

Basically, if you can eat getting fired, if you can find another job quickly, if getting fired is a low probability, and if staying is economically advantageous, then it might make sense to stay. Your null hypothesis should be go.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

How long did it take you to get this superior offer? How likely is it that you can get another similar offer in a relatively short time frame?
I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter on 4/11 and accepted the offer on 5/1. Through LinkedIn, I get about 2-3 requests per week for screener interviews, so I wouldn’t be worried about getting additional requests.

quote:

Generally, yes, don't take counteroffers. Some mitigating factors that would lead to taking one:

- Other measurable dimensions than your salary are better where you are than at your new place.
- Your role is difficult to fill, so you have some lead time and will know when they've found your replacement.
- You are financially prepared to be fired with a good emergency fund.
- You have an unusually good relationship with your current manager.

The new company offers only 15 PTO days instead of the 22 I get now, but I don’t use about 7 per year and cash them out anyway. My role isn’t hard to fill, people hop from company to company pretty regularly. My wife and I have a good amount saved for an emergency fund (~3-6months) and I do have a good relationship with my manager.

quote:

Basically, if you can eat getting fired, if you can find another job quickly, if getting fired is a low probability, and if staying is economically advantageous, then it might make sense to stay. Your null hypothesis should be go.

I could probably weather all of the above with no issues, but I haven’t asked about increased pay. I know they can do it, it’s just a matter of will they. I still think I’d be better off just accepting the new offer and coming back to my current employer in a few years for more money if I don’t like the new place. People do it all the time and it’s brought up frequently on the company wide monthly conference calls in frustration - ie why let us go to a competitor only to bring us right back a couple years later with a big signing bonus and >30% increase in pay to do the same job.

Thanks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The trouble is that they probably will agree to give you whatever raise you want--but not because they want to continue to invest in you long term. Rather, because it's a gigantic hassle for them to lose you abruptly and unexpectedly. They'd much rather pay you more for a few months to give themselves time to be prepared for your departure, at which point they will fire you.

It doesn't happen every time someone stays with their current employer upon agreement to match an offer. Just, like, 85% of the time.

You are probably not an exception. Betting that you are would be gambling on very bad odds.

So, as Dwight said, you should accept a counteroffer if and only if (a) you're not actually that into the new offer AND (b) you're fully prepared to suddenly become unemployed in 3-6 months' time.

Trusting your current boss has nothing whatsoever to do with it. (I guess I disagree with Dwight on this point. But just read a few pages, any few pages, of the Corporate America thread. It won't take long to find a "so my awesome boss just got fired/transferred/left for a better job, and my new one is a nightmare PHB" post.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 11, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, good suggestions again, thanks. I discussed it with my wife and our neighbor who is a corporate controller with a large hospital and reviewed some websites along with the advice in this thread and I’m going with the new offer.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I'm hopefully transitioning from an entry level front-line tech support role to one where I'm creating training materials for internal and external use, focusing on video production.

There's a lot of good advice here for negotiating better pay or benefits, but is there any specific advice for asking to be moved from hourly to salary? I like the flexibility that it would bring me personally, but I'm trying to gather some reasons why it would be beneficial to the company in case they push back.

This is a new role they're creating, so there is no precedent one way or another.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why do you want to be salary? Do you have a genuine concern that you won't get enough hours? That's really the only reason to want to be salary. Apart from that it's better to be hourly, because it guarantees you overtime pay if you go over 40 hours a week.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why do you want to be salary? Do you have a genuine concern that you won't get enough hours? That's really the only reason to want to be salary. Apart from that it's better to be hourly, because it guarantees you overtime pay if you go over 40 hours a week.

My hours will be more flexible if I'm not required to be at an office and punch in every day, and I requested a MBP for this position (I've been using a Dell laptop which has been serviceable but not great for video editing on the go) so I can have the option to work from home if I don't have any meetings.

Additionally, there are some other benefits salaried employees have at my job, like unlimited PTO and access to a raffle that help desk has every quarter when they give away of out-of-warranty equipment.

I don't anticipate having to work more than 40 hours per week, based on the job expectations on the req, but it's true that losing possible overtime is a very real possibility if I'm moved over to salary.

Thanks for the input. If anybody else can think of more good reasons for hourly vs salary, it would help me make a better informed decision.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Obviously you want more PTO and the hours you like, yeah. If that's something only salaried employees get then that's definitely a reason to ask to be a salaried employee. Just take care to make it clear that what you really want is the PTO and a certain schedule. Because otherwise you run the risk of getting the drawbacks of salary without the benefits.

It is entirely possible and in fact common for employees to be both salaried and required to be at the office whenever the hell their boss says so. Every company has their own rules. If working a certain schedule is important to you then that's what you need to negotiate, and preferably get in writing.

Be prepared to get a lot of pushback or even just a hard no, though.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I just got an offer letter for a new job in my field at a company that seems a million times better than my current one. It's technically for more than I make, but adjusted for benefits, the pay is basically identical to my current job's. What's the best way to frame asking for a higher salary in this context? And if I need to discuss vacation dates I've already booked, I should do that after discussing salary, right?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 14, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are you willing to walk away if they say no?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spoderman posted:

I just got an offer letter for a new job in my field at a company that seems a million times better than my current one. It's technically for more than I make, but adjusted for benefits, the pay is basically identical to my current job's. What's the best way to frame asking for a higher salary in this context? And if I need to discuss vacation dates I've already booked, I should do that after discussing salary, right?
Just ask. "I really need $Current_Salary+$10,000 to make this work." No justification, no excuses. If you've already talked salary, "After seeing the total compensation package, I'm going to need $Current_Salary+$10,000. Is that possible?"

For vacation dates, negotiate salary, come to an agreement, and then bring up the vacation dates. Just frame it as a reasonable issue that you're both completely committed to finding a reasonable solution to. Pleasantly detached is the attitude you're going for. Employers get this all the time. Life happens. Just don't accept the offer and then spring it on them.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

Update:

Got base salary raised to $140k from $135k, bonus target raised to 22% from 15%. Full relocation now included, including paying closing costs if I buy a house within a year and first two months of living in an extended stay hotel when I first move up. 4 weeks PTO instead of 3. Starting bonus equal to one month gross pay.

It feels so loving good to gain so much from one goddamn email and one easy phone call.

Huge congrats, sounds like you're sitting pretty now. Amazing what a little asking will do huh?

Never don't negotiate.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hell yeah, congrats my dude

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's the approach for negotiating a raise and/or title bump if you are being given work responsibilities outside of your current title and job description?

Background: I do regulatory for a specific product line that my company makes, and when talking to my boss today I found out that our entire regulatory team for a different unrelated product line is leaving over the next few weeks. With that, there's a decent chance that the duties of that department will just be transferred over to my group. While I wouldn't mind taking on some of those duties as the work that they're doing is more a transferable skill set, if I'm going to be given a bunch of someone else's work then I had better get a bunch of their now-unused pay as well. In addition, my current title and defined job scope are specific to the product type that I work on, and not this other department's stuff.

What's the best way to go about saying "I'd be happy to take on some stuff from this other department, but it's outside the scope of what you hired me to do and what you're paying me to do it, so I'm going to need both of those things bumped up"? What could I do to quantify it and say something like "taking on this person's duties would increase my workload X%, therefore I need an extra $Y/year to make up for it"?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Based on your posts in the corporate thread, the approach is for you to find a new job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jordan7hm posted:

Based on your posts in the corporate thread, the approach is for you to find a new job.

Believe me, I've been looking and am continuing to look. But if the opportunity presents itself to get a few extra % added to my paycheck and a better title on my resume, I want to be able to take it so I can leverage it into a better position elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This is 100% correct.

But since we're here the answer to your question is: just tell them straight out what you will require. Politely but firmly. No long explanations that they can nitpick full of holes to weasel out of paying you. "You're proposing to dramatically expand my duties. Great! I welcome the challenge. I consider a 25% salary increase and a senior title appropriate for my new level of responsibility and look forward to getting started."

Like, it's not just you so please don't think I'm singling you out for this. There are frequently posts in this thread asking basically the same question you did: "How exactly do I ask for more?" The technical answer is in the OP, in detail. The issue here isn't that you don't know how to ask for more, the issue is that you're too timid to. Asking for more is really easy. Keeping your nerves about you is much more difficult because you really have to believe deep down that you are awesome and the other guy is getting a bargain even at the price you're asking. Or failing that, you at least have to be an actor and play the part of a guy who believes he is that awesome.

Your current employer doesn't respect you, and even if you grow brass balls now, they're still going to be used to the old timid you and will tell you no, assuming you'll quietly fold. So go find another employer--and be the guy who knows how awesome he is when you sit down to negotiate with them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 23, 2018