Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anyone else find it weird that the high court lets Canavan off the hook and then proceeds to gently caress over every Labor member the LNP refers to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Anyone else find it weird that the high court lets Canavan off the hook and then proceeds to gently caress over every Labor member the LNP refers to them?

You've been posting too long here to be this naive.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Zenithe posted:

I'm not well versed on it, but noted excellent person Liz Carr wrote a fairly nuanced article about this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/09/legalising-assisted-dying-dangerous-for-disabled-not-compassionate

Thanks, real good piece

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
The argument I've heard is that our society is ableist, so things could get substantially worse if you're disabled and want to live. As in, people think assisted dying is a cure-all (lol) and contributes to this idea disabled lives aren't worth living, so they shouldn't have to make buildings wheelchair accessible, fund disability services, etc.

There's also the risk of someone opting to kill themselves not because they want to die on an objective level, more that they want to die because of it society is poo poo and treats them so badly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but if the high court gives Aly the chop, a person with clear evidence of losing her Egyptian citizenship at the age of 6. Why was Canavan spared?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just want to know at what point this is considered an ongoing, rolling election rather than a series of by-elections.

Election now. Election forever

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I just really hate Matt Canavan.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

In the context of the decisions in Esso and also ABCC v CFMEU, no, not weird.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/994410153624551424

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What the gently caress is that woman smiling and nodding about. Why is the background nodder still a thing it drives me nuts.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I did quite a bit of work on the Vic Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation and the attitude of the disabled community is very split. Without wanting to overly generalise, the divisions are generally between those who were born with it vs acquired in later life, and those whose disabilities were more or less unchanging, and those with degenerative conditions.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Whitlam posted:

I did quite a bit of work on the Vic Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation and the attitude of the disabled community is very split. Without wanting to overly generalise, the divisions are generally between those who were born with it vs acquired in later life, and those whose disabilities were more or less unchanging, and those with degenerative conditions.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Although I'm abled, this is something I care about a lot (as in, I went to a community forum recently and asked a load of questions about what their provisions were to make a planned redevelopment disability accessible (so it's not like I'm just paying lip service)). I'm really hesitant to support assisted dying since I feel like there's a very real and unmitigated risk that individuals with disabilities will be put into situations where the lack of services and support makes them feel so hopeless dying seems like the only logical way out.

It's bad for society to present disability as only really tolerable if you're rich.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I think euthanasia should be legal, but you also know the minute it is some gently caress is gonna chuck a KPI on it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

froglet posted:

There's also the risk of someone opting to kill themselves not because they want to die on an objective level, more that they want to die because of it society is poo poo and treats them so badly.

There's a procession of assessment and doctoral opinion though, in a healthcare model of killing your self

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Cleretic posted:

I just want to know at what point this is considered an ongoing, rolling election rather than a series of by-elections.

Election now. Election forever

I moved to the States a couple of years ago... This is my reality.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Obviously each jurisdiction is different, but in Victoria if other factors are suspected, e.g. depression, the doctor can make psych referrals before authorising it.

Imo it's pretty lovely and hypocritical of the disabled community to tell other members, particularly those with degenerative conditions, that they're being disabled wrong.

As with any issue there's also a religious overlay that can't be ignored, especially for those who see it as God challenging them vs those who don't. For me, it's an issue of personal choice like any other. Don't want it? Great, don't get it. But don't stop other people. Also as part of the Vic legislation more money is being put into palliative care services, so it's definitely not going to be ignored or neglected (not saying anyone here has suggested it will be, jist one of the concerns I've heard).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

I think euthanasia should be legal, but you also know the minute it is some gently caress is gonna chuck a KPI on it.

Dear Centrelink Officer, only seventeen customers who have interacted with you have chosen euthanasia this quarter. If your numbers for the next quarter do not significantly improve you will be placed on performance review.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Looks like Australia is back in the mass shooting business. 7 dead including 4 kids around Margaret River.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Looks like Australia is back in the mass shooting business. 7 dead including 4 kids around Margaret River.

Murder-suicide, three adults and four children...I'm 99% sure it's going to be the old 'dude gets angry at ex-wife and kills her, her new partner, and their kids before offing himself' chestnut.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Hopefully that can put the kibosh on all this stupid adler import gun poo poo if nothing else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We will need Adlers to protect are kids now

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
arm all women

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Ban all men.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Arm all children

A regulated malitia to defend against hosed up dads

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

Arm all children

That's the problem.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Whitlam posted:

Ban all men.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Obviously each jurisdiction is different, but in Victoria if other factors are suspected, e.g. depression, the doctor can make psych referrals before authorising it.

Imo it's pretty lovely and hypocritical of the disabled community to tell other members, particularly those with degenerative conditions, that they're being disabled wrong.

As with any issue there's also a religious overlay that can't be ignored, especially for those who see it as God challenging them vs those who don't. For me, it's an issue of personal choice like any other. Don't want it? Great, don't get it. But don't stop other people. Also as part of the Vic legislation more money is being put into palliative care services, so it's definitely not going to be ignored or neglected (not saying anyone here has suggested it will be, jist one of the concerns I've heard).

Yeah, my main concern is that personal choices don't happen in a vacuum - I want to make sure people are adequately supported before making this choice rather than feeling backed into a corner. :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A friend of mines mum was killed by her dad in front of her and her sister and now he is out of jail so they live a cool life of low key perpetual fear on top of the PTSD.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Whitlam posted:

Ban all men.

agreed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
endman

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

endmen

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

If you check out the mass shootings in the US, as defined by four or more people being shot, the vast majority is some guy killing his wife and children

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

did the budget contain any new money for family violence prevention?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Before Times posted:

did the budget contain any new money for a statue of captain cook?

Yes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whitlam posted:

Ban all men.

Yeah, well let's see you try opening the jar without our help :smug:

But I have to agree with the view on men, we're just aggressive arseholes who just like to cause violence

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

did the budget contain any new money for family violence prevention?

Probably received the same amount of attention as climate action does.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Yeah, well let's see you try opening the jar without our help :smug:

that's what the gun is for!

idiot!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
it'll be cool having all the US gun nuts bring up this murder suicide whenever Australia and gun reform is mentioned in the future.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
When that (underfunded and limited in scope) royal commission you never wanted happens and it starts to hurt your mates and party doners, what do you do? Defund the regulator!
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/asic/9750398

quote:

ASIC loses $28 million in funding under 2018 budget

With one hand, Treasurer Scott Morrison giveth to the corporate regulator — with the other he taketh away.

Tuesday's Federal Budget handed the watchdog ASIC just under $11 million dollars to deal with the costs of the banking royal commission.

But at the same time, ASIC also lost $28 million in funding and 30 staff.

The government says fluctuations in funding levels are normal but the cuts come as the royal commission shines a light on the industry's seeming disregard for ASIC.

Graeme Samuel is a former chairman of the ACCC and a co-author of the scathing APRA report into the Commonwealth Bank's culture released last week.

He told reporter Ky Chow this budget cut might encourage ASIC to focus more sharply on punishing corporate crime under its new chairman James Shipton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

drunkill posted:

it'll be cool having all the US gun nuts bring up this murder suicide whenever Australia and gun reform is mentioned in the future.

If you're comparing america to any other culture regarding guns you're a lost cause anyway.

• Locked thread