Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah but that was only after they implemented their weird aborted rotation change. And I'd still take the Bant Company format over any of the subsequent ones.

I think at the very least bant coco was a more interesting deck than any of the abominations that came after it.

I cant think of another standard afterward where an entire color was basically unplayable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What origins was terrible. M13 was where it's at.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Origins was great! Especially if you were at a table full of good drafters.

M13 was indeed good though. Lots of the M## sets were fun limited environments actually. The problem with old core sets was just the relative lack of chase cards

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My 2nd favorite limited environment in the year of Modern flashback drafts was 10th edition. Sometimes a simple draft format can be fun.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

I don't think you can even call the scarcity of any in-print card artificial. The supply of any given card is infinite while its in print, retailers will open product continuously as long as there's demand, and with equal chances to get any given rare an infinite number of each will opened and made available on the market. But there's a price floor on a set of cards as the retailers opening product have to recoup their costs, Wizards isn't/can't just give the cards away. Typically, this is also the price ceiling, as there's enough competition selling identical products that it takes some very special circumstances to be competitive while selling above the minimum viable price. So a set of cards (easiest thought of here as one of every card in a set) has a value somewhere between the wholesale price and MSRP of the amount of sealed product it takes to open that set, and all of the cards in that set have to share the value. Obviously, demand for the cards in the set will be uneven, as people purchasing cards on the market typically want the most competitive cards1 so those cards receive a disproportionate amount of demand and thus command a price according to their demand ratio. Whether the value of a given card in set matters to Wizards depends on the position of the set within standard. If there's no demand for the cards retailers won't open product, but the closer to even the distribution of standard playable cards becomes between sets, the less incentive Wizards has to care about the value of any given card as they are not competing with themselves in that scenario. We also know that they're capable of actively making cards that will be dominant in standard, but also that if they go too far in this direction it hurts the demand for standard and backfires on them. Relatedly, we know that besides 'obviously pushed' they're not great at knowing which cards will be good and therefore in high demand. So they are incentivized to build power levels slightly each set to increase demand for the new things, but they don't have the skill to do so subtly with any accuracy, and they also know that if the power level gets too high people stop playing / demand falls. Furthermore, if they have to print a low power set to reset standard it won't be popular, so ultimately its in Wizards best interest to keep power levels roughly consistent between sets. As established, if they can achieve this they have no reason to care about demand for any given card in the set and thus relatively small incentive to make any given card actively better than the others, though it will always be the case that some cards are better than others as a function of how TCGs work. So with infinite supply and no strong reasons for Wizards to influence demand, we can conclude that the price of a card in standard is a function of real demand by players and the price floor set by Wizards / distributors. (They could cut their margins to lower this floor, but at $4/pack there's not a whole lot of room to play with).

The fact that they have competition now has changed, but also makes it more important that they can capture new players, as pretty much all of their competitors have much simpler rules to begin with, and all of the interactions are handled by computers, making knowing the rules unnecessary to play.

Have you ever seen people try to learn to play Magic, especially without someone who knows the rules handy? Hell, there are people who care enough to post in this thread that don't know the rules. New core sets (I'm betting) are more like Portal 4.0 than anything else. Hopefully they'll release a draft product contemporaneously, but beyond the side effect of putting hard to flavor cards into standard, the product probably just isn't intended for you, or anyone else in this thread. Not that its ever worked before, but I really don't have a good answer for this one, and after 25 years, neither do they,

1Also, wizards makes all of their product readily available for free, you can go print off all the copies of $Chase_rare from Gatherer (or somewhere better) you want, the only thing you need their actual product for is to play in the tournaments they sponsor. Or if your friends only let each other play with real cards, which they all do, but I'm not sure Wizards can be blamed for that.

Didn't read a single word of this

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Trip Report on the Replicator deck

Went 1-2
I won every game I played an Antiquities War on turn 4
I lost every game I played a Replicator
I never got to make more than two replicators

I think there might be a half way decent Antiquities deck. I'm going to try taking out the Replicators and replacing them with some mixture of Renegade Maps and Treasure Maps.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Core Sets were fine during M13 and before and they started making GBS threads the bed hard after.

Print powerful, fun cards and the set will sell.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/994663858458451969

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
lol "RealSaffronOlive"

I bet that tilts the gently caress out of him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"nobody likes core sets because they were bad"

Couldn't they just not make them bad?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
M10 - powerful cards, fine
M11 - powerful, fine
M12 - powerful, fine
M13 - definitely a downtick, still has some neat cards
M14 - Young Pyromancer is fantastic but why is everything else so bad

And it got progressively worse from there.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tainen posted:

Trip Report on the Replicator deck

Went 1-2
I won every game I played an Antiquities War on turn 4
I lost every game I played a Replicator
I never got to make more than two replicators

I think there might be a half way decent Antiquities deck. I'm going to try taking out the Replicators and replacing them with some mixture of Renegade Maps and Treasure Maps.

search r/spikes for "Anguished Affinity", its a antiquities war improvise deck that looks pretty cool.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

vandalism posted:

they really are pussy cowards that just wanna make tumblr posts about gender fluid elves.

This is Something Awful, not r/freemagic.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I sort of miss playing my 100% dogshit mono-red improvise deck.

On another note, you can tell Dominaria has been a huge success because it brought so many terrible posters back to magic - and this thread.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I think magic as a whole would be better if there was a set of cards that was always legal in standard (lightning bolt, counterspell, etc.). The problem is wizards has this obsession with certain effects not being in standard all the time so they mess it up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's what the Intro Decks have been but instead of good cards they keep classics like Shivan Dragon in standard.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

The Shortest Path posted:

That's what the Intro Decks have been but instead of good cards they keep classics like Shivan Dragon in standard.

Yeah and people get to make a big deal that Llanowar Elves is legal again.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Yah but if they reprinted Necropotence we would see the end of their comical effort to make a non-broken but still good Necro variant. It’s a 20 year old experiment.

When they get around to making a Liliana with 4 abilities, giving her ultimate an emblem with Necro/YawgBarg effect would be by far the best way to get it right.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

M15 and Origins, woof.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shortest Path posted:

How else can I play Mind Rot in standard?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GoutPatrol posted:

How else can I play Mind Rot in standard?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bant coco was a great standard environment where i lived at the time because the only decks anyone played were bant company and esper control, so it allowed me to just maindeck 4x clip wings (for avacyn/ojutai/icefall regent) in my +1/+1 counters company deck and sneak out the back door with fnm wins it ruled

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also shivan dragon (at rare) woulda been cool for dominaria limited

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

but i like aggro decks :ohdear:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Star of Extinction with Lifelink is pretty funny.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TheKingofSprings posted:

M10 - powerful cards, fine
M11 - powerful, fine
M12 - powerful, fine
M13 - definitely a downtick, still has some neat cards
M14 - Young Pyromancer is fantastic but why is everything else so bad

m11 & m13 are classic draft formats, imo, and I have a personal fondness for m14, the slowest, grindiest draft format of all time. you could legitimately first pick divination - that's wild!

I know draft isn't what core sets are 'for' but I really enjoy that flavor of limited

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

No, I want MIND ROT GOD DAMMIT

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

All I ask for the Core set is a Flying Men reprint. :pray:

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Last night at the Commander tournament I managed with furious trading turn a Donate, Thought Lash, and two other cards I had laying around. Trading those for a Thran Gateway, Quicksilver Amulet, Promo Jos Vess, and a Teferi Hero of Dominaria and a few random angels and equipment for my current Commander deck. It always loses to infinite combo decks. But I go because I have cards going back to Unlimited and Ice Age and enjoy the trading aspect.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So this probably another one of my dumb posts but I have a question about set rotations. This will be the first rotation I've experienced. I've been really intrigued by Metallic Mimic. To my untrained eye it looks like something that might have potential in modern or legacy. I thought about putting it in Merfolk deck but it seems to be running fine without for now. Will the price on a card like that drop significantly when it drops out of the standard rotation?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So this probably another one of my dumb posts but I have a question about set rotations. This will be the first rotation I've experienced. I've been really intrigued by Metallic Mimic. To my untrained eye it looks like something that might have potential in modern or legacy. I thought about putting it in Merfolk deck but it seems to be running fine without for now. Will the price on a card like that drop significantly when it drops out of the standard rotation?

yeah a card's lowest price is like in the first month post-rotation.

that card's probably not good enough for modern or whatever though. probably fine to pick one up for tribal commander decks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sit on my Facebook posted:

You know what was fun and good? Magic Origins limited.environment.

Hahahaha no it wasn't. It was 2 drops all day every day, blocking was impossible and nearly all the uncommon play-arounds were traps. Garbage format for idiots.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What origins was terrible. M13 was where it's at.

See this guy gets it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Some Numbers posted:

Star of Extinction with Lifelink is pretty funny.

That’s reminiscient of Soulfire Grandmaster + Anger of the Gods against all those GW Manifest decks a few standards ago. Good times.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

search r/spikes for "Anguished Affinity", its a antiquities war improvise deck that looks pretty cool.

Looks sweet. Will give it a try.

Here is the list if anyone else is interested
https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/8hzr1h/standard_anguished_affinity_a_primer/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Siivola posted:

All I ask for the Core set is a Flying Men reprint. :pray:

There are two strictly better Flying Men in standard right now tho? :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vandalism posted:

If they don't print some cool good stuff with simple poo poo like thoughtseize, hero's downfall, etc then they really are pussy cowards that just wanna make tumblr posts about gender fluid elves.

Also sets like masters 15/17 in core set format with decent card stock. gently caress wizards and their 10 dollar booster poo poo greedy cunts.

Also gently caress mtg investors they don't even play but set the tone for reprints because wizards is worried about devaluing lili down to a reasonable price for a piece of cardboard. Wizards has no balls and no soul just like modern video game companies. gently caress venture capitalism and gently caress my phone for autocorrecting gently caress to duck every time.

Eat mu rear end.
I would rather read a million Tumblr posts about genderfluid elves then whatever this post is

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

InterrupterJones posted:

That’s reminiscient of Soulfire Grandmaster + Anger of the Gods against all those GW Manifest decks a few standards ago. Good times.

I miss those two cards. Gained 27 life off one anger and bought it back. Khans standard was glorious. Especially once they printed the typed duals. There was something special about playing JVP, Dig, Crackling Doom, and Siege Rhino in the same deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

moush posted:

I think magic as a whole would be better if there was a set of cards that was always legal in standard (lightning bolt, counterspell, etc.). The problem is wizards has this obsession with certain effects not being in standard all the time so they mess it up.

Idk I think there's value in crafting unique constructed environments and that involves certain stuff not being in at all times, but this is theory since uh it has not been put into effect that well

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

There are two strictly better Flying Men in standard right now tho? :shrug:
I need more, okay? I just want blue Flying Men that actually fly.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Favorable Winds is only good when Lingering Souls and Talrand's Invocation are in Standard.