Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

lordfrikk posted:

I have a truly terrible dilemma. Buy Nier Automata or Yakuza 0?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Indeed

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In the Age of Ancients, the world was unformed, shrouded by fog.

lordfrikk posted:

Both!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Neither they're both boring grinds with bad gameplay.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

JBP posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m gonna give the benefit of the doubt to Days Gone. Sony puts so much and effort money into these that I can’t believe it’ll be bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure Days Gone will be cool for people who like that kind of game but nothing about it really grabs me. If they replaced the lead with a chick w/bow then maybe we'd have something going on.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m gonna give the benefit of the doubt to Days Gone. Sony puts so much and effort money into these that I can’t believe it’ll be bad.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That isn't something from Sony. Also launched on PC aswell so not an exclusive either.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I like the idea of Days Gone. The newts being basically kids made me a bit squeamish to be honest. The hand to hand looks very rote, the ranged weapons look ok, the driving looks slow, even on the superbike you have at the start. I'm hoping they improve those things a bit before release. But I like the environment, and I'm interested. I also thought they spent some time on the lead character's face and whatnot. he was visibly reacting very well to things, I thought.

Although I could do without another strict constitutionalist survivor ruling a compound.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uhhhh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

After playing them I believe they're both too long and have bad or very repetitive gameplay, that isn't edgy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
No Mans Sky improved quite a bit over time. I mean its not amazing, but its a solid game in its own right, now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

Pointless post.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I could say the same about your posts expressing opinions that aren't mine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure why you would be grinding in either of those games.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Buy yakuza 0 because if you like it then good news there's a bunch more yakuza games to play

And if you don't like it good news there's this pretty good game called nier automata that you can try instead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Real talk, buy the game you want to play RIGHT NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWwvR6cSH4o

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would but it's not out yet :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Infinitum posted:

Real talk, buy the game you want to play RIGHT NOW.

But I can't speak or read Japanese and the cowards at SEGA refuse to localize Yakuza Ishin

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Why do some of the angara in Andromeda randomly have australian accents? It is a mystery for sure but one that makes me lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure why you would be grinding in either of those games.

They are a grind to play. You are not grinding gear. They are so long that it becomes tedious. Had the same thing happen with Persona 5.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Angara are supposed to have Afrikaaner accents. Why they did this is probably to induce a feeling of "English, but foreign-sounding to most people."

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

I mean, i beat both games in 25 hours so they weren't a grind and i cried playing nier and laughed playing yakuza so they weren't boring.

The gameplay wasn't exactly stellar for either which is why i eventually switched both games to easy and battered through them. 2 easy recommends though.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

They are a grind to play. You are not grinding gear. They are so long that it becomes tedious. Had the same thing happen with Persona 5.

Have you tried spending your time playing games you like instead?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Instant Grat posted:

But I can't speak or read Japanese and the cowards at SEGA refuse to localize Yakuza Ishin

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html helped me a lot but that was a lot of dual screen time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrRoMa posted:

Have you tried spending your time playing games you like instead?

Yeah but I give most games a decent chance. I enjoyed Nier but very quickly wore out on route B and never went back. Yakuza didn't click and I felt like I was just running around streets and suffering through the combat. Persona was cool, like I rate the game, but it's just long and I got tired of it. It's not long games that bug me though because I can drop 100 hours on a crpg or whatever without breaking a sweat.

I feel like a lot of games have too much "content". I didn't finish HZD because I would look at the ubimap and be like nah gently caress this. I just want super tight, 15-20 hour single player gaming probably.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn is about the same length as God of War all things considered. Maybe a little longer if you include the DLC.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is about the same length as God of War all things considered. Maybe a little longer if you include the DLC.

I really need to start it again, put on blinkers and just play the main story. It's just the photo ops and all this other poo poo on the map and my eyes glaze over.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

Yeah but I give most games a decent chance. I enjoyed Nier but very quickly wore out on route B and never went back. Yakuza didn't click and I felt like I was just running around streets and suffering through the combat. Persona was cool, like I rate the game, but it's just long and I got tired of it. It's not long games that bug me though because I can drop 100 hours on a crpg or whatever without breaking a sweat.

I feel like a lot of games have too much "content". I didn't finish HZD because I would look at the ubimap and be like nah gently caress this. I just want super tight, 15-20 hour single player gaming probably.

I can relate. I'm not particularly loving god of war, just met the world serpent. Its a fun game its just i get home from work and the compulsion to play it is zero and has been since the day after launch day.

I've finally got a free weekend to put some time in but lately I've been really struggling to find 3rd person charachter orientated games exciting to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If minimap icons are severely triggering to you then HZD allows you to filter them. Most of the time they aren't even collectibles or things you have to do, just "this is what robots live here."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrRoMa posted:

I can relate. I'm not particularly loving god of war, just met the world serpent. Its a fun game its just i get home from work and the compulsion to play it is zero and has been since the day after launch day.

I've finally got a free weekend to put some time in but lately I've been really struggling to find 3rd person charachter orientated games exciting to play.

See I loved god of war. The map is kind of useless so I felt like I was just wandering into stuff and being like ok I'll have a chill here and look around. I also enjoyed the gameplay a lot.

Maps covered in poo poo definitely trigger me.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Horizon is another one, i had a good time battering through on easy but plenty people here had an amazing time with the story and playing on higher difficulties.

The older I'm getting the more satisfying it is just to cherry pick the bits i want from games.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

exquisite tea posted:

If minimap icons are severely triggering to you then HZD allows you to filter them. Most of the time they aren't even collectibles or things you have to do, just "this is what robots live here."

To add to this don't even bother exploring much of the world till about 2/3rds of the way through the story (You'll get a pretty good idea when that is) because otherwise most of the stuff you'll stumble upon and explore will be empty because it can't trigger yet or they'll artificially block your path from proceeding.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrRoMa posted:

The older I'm getting the more satisfying it is just to cherry pick the bits i want from games.

I definitely try to do absolutely everything and probably burn myself out with it. Something like Bloodborne on the other hand will bring me back to play forever because the actual game part is just superb and so much fun. I think I keep going with potentially repetitive, content rich CRPGs because I own the character and I look forward to whatever dick move or good boy decision I get to make.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

To add to this don't even bother exploring much of the world till about 2/3rds of the way through the story (You'll get a pretty good idea when that is) because otherwise most of the stuff you'll stumble upon and explore will be empty because it can't trigger yet or they'll artificially block your path from proceeding.

That's not really the case in Horizon. The only area you're outright blocked off from exploring once you cross Daytower is Sunfall. Everywhere else you can go. You can do all the cauldrons and hunting challenges before you even reach Meridian, if you really wanted.

My advice would be to just follow the main storyline and stop to do whatever sidequests you like along the way, since the game eventually takes you to every corner of the map.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't think I've ever 100% an open world game. At the beginning I just gently caress around and do some side quests but when I start feeling bored I just beeline for the main story which (hopefully) is more interesting and isn't as long to finish. Most of the quests in HZD did not tie in any way to the main story or anything else really so I didn't feel like doing them.

However, there is one exception. I did almost if not all of the side quests and activities in The Witcher 3 because it was just that good, my dream game. I still haven't gotten around to starting the DLC though because after 200 hours I was ready to finish the main game and take a break. Can't actually wait to get back to it later.

Also, unrelated but I am playing through Shadow of the Colossus for the first time and the 5th colossus is pretty much perfect: music, animation, atmosphere. I am seriously impressed.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Buy yakuza 0 because if you like it then good news there's a bunch more yakuza games to play

And if you don't like it good news there's this pretty good game called nier automata that you can try instead

I like this advice so that's probably what I'm going for after finishing SOTC. I don't want to buy more games at once since I don't have time to play more at once anyway. So many good games left to play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I did every last loving thing in the Witcher 3 and played the game three times... That was a very special game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
HZD is very small and light on content compared to a game like witcher 3