Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Company announced that WFH is now limited to one day a week if you live within 45 miles of the office.

Also announced that the office is moving 15 miles further into the city away from everyone, a solid 45 minutes extra commute each way.

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

poemdexter posted:

Sounds like your pipeline is messed up if that can happen.

Our pipeline has a "Fast-Lane" option in Jenkins to dodge Sonar and Fortify checks. Another project I worked on had a "No Tests" option, so they could build a release without having to worry the tests would fail. This would also gently caress up the history as after a success, Jenkins purges all the failed runs making it impossible for me to see where the first failed commit was and who to shout at for breaking the build.

Yesterday I was having coffee with a former colleague from that second project and he mentioned that life was a lot more relaxed since I left. Basically since the one person who kept pointing out how lovely things were, was no longer there to point out how lovely things were.

Now I am in a project where I ask questions like: "Why is that named X if it does Y?" and the response is often "It was started to do X but evolved into Y." My proposal to make a big list of tech debt and put it on the backlog was met with approval, so that is nice. Now to see when we can actually work on it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Company announced that WFH is now limited to one day a week if you live within 45 miles of the office.

Also announced that the office is moving 15 miles further into the city away from everyone, a solid 45 minutes extra commute each way.

:yotj:

Sounds like your company just announced a bunch of departures :haw:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

moving an office farther and reducing WFH time might intentionally be a policy to shed staff

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Y’know, that’s what I’m guessing too. Feels intentional to avoid having to pay out for layoffs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

Y’know, that’s what I’m guessing too. Feels intentional to avoid having to pay out for layoffs.

I think that's a bit conspiratorial. Unless this office is very small, moving offices is usually a pretty big deal and paying severance would be cheaper. It may be looked at as a side benefit, but almost certainly not the prime motivator. Most people aren't actively out to screw the proletariat.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Skandranon posted:

I think that's a bit conspiratorial. Unless this office is very small, moving offices is usually a pretty big deal and paying severance would be cheaper. It may be looked at as a side benefit, but almost certainly not the prime motivator. Most people aren't actively out to screw the proletariat.

It's true: my guess is it's only something like 1% of the people are out to screw them.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lumpy posted:

It's true: my guess is it's only something like 1% of the people are out to screw them.

:golfclap:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think it's something like 95% of office moves relocate the building closer to the CEO/president/site lead/local honcho/whatever.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

poemdexter posted:

Sounds like your pipeline is messed up if that can happen.

I mean probably (although I think it's their pipeline - they're purposely kept separate for reasons)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Isn't it like CD 101 that there is still a human at the end of the pipeline approving the release to production? I mean, I assume there is still a change control process and/or some kind of release manager involved?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Xik posted:

Isn't it like CD 101 that there is still a human at the end of the pipeline approving the release to production? I mean, I assume there is still a change control process and/or some kind of release manager involved?
Depends on the kind of change. There are certain kinds of changes that require human QA, especially when you're dealing with frontend stuff or things with human-perceivable ~._.~QuAlItY~._.~ components in play (A/V, etc.). For most backend stuff, if you have good automated tests, you might as well just ship it and rely on your canary process to trigger a rollback if everything goes to poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
IT decided that they would patch all of our QA servers and our internal TFS 2017 server overnight - without any kind of notification to any dev managers, developers, or devops resources.

IT didn't account for the fact that the patch would not go smoothly, and so there are many grumpy people in the office this morning as they're scrambling to fix their hosed up, no-notice patch while nobody can log into TFS or the QA environments.

Happy Thursday, everyone! :thumbsup:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

moving an office farther and reducing WFH time might intentionally be a policy to shed staff

IBM being one notable example. Kill WFH and close offices and now you either move or quit. And conveniently the older employees are less likely to move. Scummy.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So how racist am I on a scale of zero to Hitler if, upon seeing a question asked on some open source mailing list and the asking party has an Indian name, I immediately assume this question to be of low quality and the asker to have zero to none understanding of programming and software development?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Keetron posted:

So how racist am I on a scale of zero to Hitler if, upon seeing a question asked on some open source mailing list and the asking party has an Indian name, I immediately assume this question to be of low quality and the asker to have zero to none understanding of programming and software development?

Being racist and being realistic are not mutually exclusive. You are probably right. You are also hitler+2.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

doublehitler

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Keetron posted:

Ah, "I'm being racist but am I being racist enough to consider this a big problem", the hardest problem in open source

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Keetron posted:

You're probably 10% of a Hitler, you haven't assumed that his life and that of everyone like him should be forfeit due to a misplaced belief that you are the pinnacle of software engineering.

Please do the needful and try not to prejudge no matter the urge.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Vulture Culture posted:

Ah, "I'm being racist but am I being racist enough to consider this a big problem", the hardest problem in open source
Unironically I think stuff like this and all the related drama is becoming a bit of an issue in open source.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Keetron posted:

You're right around "Zwarte Piet is not racist" level.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Keetron posted:

I work with a lot of Indian people. Like any other group of humans, it's a mixed bag, albeit with more extremes at either end than most groups. The knowledgeability, unsurprisingly, has a great deal to do with their background, and is particularly pronounced because the society in India is incredibly stratified, and very divided regionally (as in each state has its own completely separate language, tallying about 30 languages in the subcontinent). Access to education varies wildly, thanks to these factors, and where the education is bad, it's really bad.

I've worked with very knowledgeable Indians who have high levels of education. I've also worked with (and tried to bring up to speed) kids who came to the States with a CompSci education that consisted of Lotus 123 (in 2016).

When chatting with some of my Indian coworkers that have been in the states a while, they mention that the culture also pushes a burnout level work ethic, deferment to bosses, and keeping appearances, so you sometimes get a little bit of culture shock regarding work days only being 8 hours, or that there are situations where you can say "boss, this is wrong, here is how it is", or "this project is behind or broken".

They party as hard as they work, though, and are frequently quite generous. I always look forward to Dewali at the office.

In any case, you are a bit Hitlerish, because you are judging by merit of the name. Guy is either a legitimate professional or a kid in need of guidance and helping both improves our lot in this industry.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I think when I started working in industry, I thought Indian people were subpar developers mostly because my first job had a lot of offshored code that was awful. Fast forward seven years, I've worked with amazing Indian devs and awful stereotypical white guy devs and everything in between.

I try now to assume everyone I meet knows more than me until proven otherwise. Sets expectations in a positive way instead of assuming the worst in people. And a lack of skill bothers me less than a lack of thirst for learning. At least with the latter, I have an opportunity to teach. Just my two cents.

I will say Indian people are typically better at ping pong which is 100% OK with me, since my game just gets better the more I play against them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Acknowledge that your background, to which systemic racism is a contributor, has put you in a position from which perspective you observed the pattern that Indian names are correlated strongly with offshoring firms who cut costs by hiring a lot of incompetents. Understand that you have learned a false heuristic, and one that is harmful to continue using. Consciously, humbly, and patiently adjust your thinking accordingly to correct it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
This racism conversation reminded me of the client I was working with where:
- The manager was Indian and spoke very poor English
- The developers were Chinese and spoke very poor English
- The operations guy was Russian and spoke decent English

English was the only language in common, and the bulk of the people involved could not effectively communicate in it. There was one memorable meeting with all of us involved that was essentially pantomime interspersed with baby talk and grunts.

They were all perfectly competent at their jobs in isolation, but I have no idea how they ever accomplished anything as a group. "Click the 'Next' button" took at least 5 repetitions of varying phrasing usually ended with pointing to the button on the screen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Impediments to communication are an important point. Cutting costs by failing to ensure that communication is possible is barely distinguishable from cutting costs by hiring from the bottom of the local barrel.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Acknowledge that your background, to which systemic racism is a contributor, has put you in a position from which perspective you observed the pattern that Indian names are correlated strongly with offshoring firms who cut costs by hiring a lot of incompetents. Understand that you have learned a false heuristic, and one that is harmful to continue using. Consciously, humbly, and patiently adjust your thinking accordingly to correct it.

Thank you, this response is a good response.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sagacity posted:

Unironically I think stuff like this and all the related drama is becoming a bit of an issue in open source.

The fact that some people are bigoted shitheads or the fact that we need to spell out how to act as adults to the bigoted shitheads?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I've spent enough time working on OSS projects to know that idiots will come and ask for help with unrelated stuff, and it doesn't matter where they are from.

I start twitching involuntarily upon mentions of Indian offshoring anyway :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The fault in “Indian offshoring” lies not with the foreign contributors, but with the poor business understanding of the cost cutters who hired them.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

The fact that some people are bigoted shitheads or the fact that we need to spell out how to act as adults to the bigoted shitheads?
The fact that some bigoted shitheads are pushing back against people asking them to act as adults.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

This is a good post, you are a good person.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Question for y'all, in regards to working with sales or customer facing people. At my current job, my boss tells me to treat our point of contact with customer engagement/sales in a very hostile manner. I'm supposed to: only ask for one answer at a time, word it like he's not very bright, don't ever list options, and never offer help or anything we aren't currently doing.

So, because my boss rarely has good ideas (a whole other bushel of wheat), I've been doing what I normally do and being friendly and personable. Thus, this guy gets back to me way quicker than my co-workers, and I find I can generally engage him in a good rapport.

How much of my boss' suggested behavior is something I need to actually practice, as a developer working with customer engagement folks?

Bongo Bill posted:

To reiterate, this is a good and helpful post

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shirec posted:

Question for y'all, in regards to working with sales or customer facing people. At my current job, my boss tells me to treat our point of contact with customer engagement/sales in a very hostile manner. I'm supposed to: only ask for one answer at a time, word it like he's not very bright, don't ever list options, and never offer help or anything we aren't currently doing.

So, because my boss rarely has good ideas (a whole other bushel of wheat), I've been doing what I normally do and being friendly and personable. Thus, this guy gets back to me way quicker than my co-workers, and I find I can generally engage him in a good rapport.

How much of my boss' suggested behavior is something I need to actually practice, as a developer working with customer engagement folks?

It depends entirely on what your interaction is and whether the amount of time you spend on them is too much. Or rather, whether the perception is that they take an unfairly large amount of time or velocity.

Bongo Bill posted:

A good post.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

In general? None of it. In this specific case, my overly generous guess is that the customer-facing people were misinterpreting things the developers said and overpromising features or timelines to the customer. That and the customer-facing people may have, in the past, repeatedly come to the dev teams with requests that would distract them. The latter problem, at least, should go away with honest communication of expectations and empowering the dev team to allow X minutes of side-tracking before going, "Sorry, please file that or whatever."

I bet your coworkers are thrilled to find a developer who will actually talk to them and will likely go the extra mile for you.

Edit: Speaking of distractions, the "off-topic" chatroom at my last job came up during a discussion of distractions. One of the managers wanted to close the room, because people were spending too much time goofing off. I suggested that the only people who were being distracted were the people who wanted to be distracted and that people who needed to focus should temporarily mute their notifications, but, overall, the goofing off was a net positive.

Like, if somebody's goofing off too much, tell the person to goof off less. Don't tear down the whole goofing-off chatroom!

CPColin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 11, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shirec posted:

In general, this is both needlessly rude and toxic, and your boss is lovely. That said, sales/customer facing people should be communicating with devs through the Product Owner, who will prioritize the feature and pass it to the Scrum Master to work with you to break it down and provide feedback. Direct asks tend to distract and take time away from your sprint, and can produce false expectations based on how they read what you say.

A polite, "My team can certainly do this. If you would please submit the request to Product Owner, they will work with you to ensure it is prioritized" will suffice.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Volmarias posted:

It depends entirely on what your interaction is and whether the amount of time you spend on them is too much. Or rather, whether the perception is that they take an unfairly large amount of time or velocity.

Haha, I was probably too open ended on that. It's not a huge time investment on my part, a few hours a week at most. I just don't act all put upon about it like my co-workers/boss do.

CPColin posted:

In general? None of it. In this specific case, my overly generous guess is that the customer-facing people were misinterpreting things the developers said and overpromising features or timelines to the customer. That and the customer-facing people may have, in the past, repeatedly come to the dev teams with requests that would distract them. The latter problem, at least, should go away with honest communication of expectations and empowering the dev team to allow X minutes of side-tracking before going, "Sorry, please file that or whatever."

I bet your coworkers are thrilled to find a developer who will actually talk to them and will likely go the extra mile for you.

Edit: Speaking of distractions, the "off-topic" chatroom at my last job came up during a discussion of distractions. One of the managers wanted to close the room, because people were spending too much time goofing off. I suggested that the only people who were being distracted were the people who wanted to be distracted and that people who needed to focus should temporarily mute their notifications, but, overall, the goofing off was a net positive.

Like, if somebody's goofing off too much, tell the person to goof off less. Don't tear down the whole goofing-off chatroom!

That's my feeling as well. I've noticed my boss tends to make a big show of acting like he has all this authority, but he never seems to be able to, even though he is CTO, use any of it in an impactful manner. So I think he's still acting like a lovely senior who just takes stuff and stews over it. The only time he ever is able to control what sales is allowed to offer is when it's entirely technical structure.

I feel like having a goof off/distraction area is a good idea for any company, no one can be 100% work focused automatons.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

In general, this is both needlessly rude and toxic, and your boss is lovely. That said, sales/customer facing people should be communicating with devs through the Product Owner, who will prioritize the feature and pass it to the Scrum Master to work with you to break it down and provide feedback. Direct asks tend to distract and take time away from your sprint, and can produce false expectations based on how they read what you say.

A polite, "My team can certainly do this. If you would please submit the request to Product Owner, they will work with you to ensure it is prioritized" will suffice.

I agree on the rude and toxic angle. We actually don't have a Product Owner, it's a very small startup. How abnormal is it that there isn't someone to handle that interaction?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shirec posted:

I agree on the rude and toxic angle. We actually don't have a Product Owner, it's a very small startup. How abnormal is it that there isn't someone to handle that interaction?

For a small startup is normal to not have dedicated people for this kind of thing.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

For a small startup, a boss that toxic will leave a lasting negative, perhaps fatal effect. Start interviewing around, even if you are personally happy, because it’s going to suck soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
^^^ lol

Shirec posted:

Perfectly normal. The important part is to acknowledge when a request is about to take you too far away from your other tasks and add it to your team's backlog, instead of working on it right away. Then you need to manage expectations with the person who made the request, so they don't promise a customer "it'll be ready by Tuesday" or something.