Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:justpost: :hampants:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Images are busted for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

12 hours total. Peak grill temp 400 for ~2 hours with smoke then dropped to 200 the rest of the time and wrapped. Middle read 165 when I pulled it. Insanely good.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 11, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

First: goddamn.

I did mine to 195 with a pit temp of 225 the whole time; I'd have thought 165 was on the low side? I think mine was under-smoked a bit, though. It's such a pain to add more wood to the Egg, though. :effort:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I thought butts were 195ish and a short rest for pulled pork.. but if it was tasty it was tasty

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Guitarchitect posted:

A bunch of guys on thee BSK forum and the Facebook group. Did you need to make any mods to get better air sealing on yours?

Maybe I just haven't got the patience - I've waited for ages to bring it up slowly but it just constantly overshoots, or I get I to the up/down/snuff cycle I mentioned. I talked to one guy extensively who put a BBQ Guru port into his and he said he just gave up on 225 and adjusts his times to use 275 instead... He ends up using electrical tape on the pull out ash try for every cook (we both have the bsk5000, ironically the lower-tier 2000 is already set up for a stoker but the 5000 really isn't)

I'm certainly going to keep trying (wife wants ribs for mother's day dinner), and its not as though i get bad food out of it... I'm just no longer beholden to the thing. The thing I didn't realize/appreciate about kamados when I bought it is that they are primarily smokers, when smoking is probably my secondary interest... I lost sight of that when I started looking at primo-alternates and had been focusing on finding a cheap kamado

I use a pitmasterIQ on mine and as long as I do not overlight my lump it NAILS 225. Note that I use my maverick probe to set the temp rather than just the one on the stoker. No other mods beyond replacing the flattened lid seal with a stove rope seal this spring, and only because the old seal was shot. Honestly if you are looking at spending money, just get a decent stoker. Short of an egg you are not going to get a better insulated smoker for long smokes in all weather. fake edit: If I am doing something like salmon at 190, I will break out the metallic tape and seal a little more around the lower vent

As far as primarily smoker, mine is only so because that is what I personally do more often. However if I want to crank it to 800 it is happy to do so. In fact to clean it I just open the vents 100% at the end of a cook and allow it to go nuclear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Internal may have been higher early in the cook. It was a perfect shred texture though, soft but not mushy. Are a big plate for breakfast.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I see Memphis Dust getting a lot of run here. I tried it out on some pulled pork, and it was good, but I found the ginger to be a bit overpowering. I did use ginger from a fancy spice company so wondering if it's just stronger than the recipe was accounting for.

Do you guys find it very gingery?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're using Penzey's or Spice House spices, you have to pull back in general because they are a lot stronger than McCormick or whatever's been on your shelf for years.

But rubs are really something where you can improvise with no harm done. If you want to halve the ginger next time, go for it. If you think it could take just a hint of cinnamon, give it a shot. It's easy to experiment and hard to make something actually bad.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

I use a pitmasterIQ on mine and as long as I do not overlight my lump it NAILS 225. Note that I use my maverick probe to set the temp rather than just the one on the stoker. No other mods beyond replacing the flattened lid seal with a stove rope seal this spring, and only because the old seal was shot. Honestly if you are looking at spending money, just get a decent stoker. Short of an egg you are not going to get a better insulated smoker for long smokes in all weather. fake edit: If I am doing something like salmon at 190, I will break out the metallic tape and seal a little more around the lower vent

As far as primarily smoker, mine is only so because that is what I personally do more often. However if I want to crank it to 800 it is happy to do so. In fact to clean it I just open the vents 100% at the end of a cook and allow it to go nuclear.

Yeah I do the same move for cleaning! Pretty convenient.

Sounds like you probably have one of the older ones? Mine came with the upgraded stove style gasket... and the front air inlet is a fancy spinning dial, not the kamado-style sliding door. That's the main reason I went down the selling route - I'd probably decrease the resale value by cutting a hole in it (no matter how much we understand the benefits of ATC, a lot don't or don't care) and nobody has an adapter for this specific keg, so I started to consider my options - a kettle and temp controller = resale value of my keg, so I can pitch it to my wife as a no-loss situation, as we don't have the money for a temp controller. The majority of my cooking is two-zone so I think a large kettle will be great for that. I started to consider a jumbo joe (18.5" portable charcoal grill) before stopping myself to remember that it'd create more headaches than it would solve.
It's funny how much experience can drive people's views - one guy i talked to has a few kamados with a flame boss and bbq guru, and a pellet grill - and he's telling me that he does the vast majority of his cooking on the pellet grill since getting it, because of how much more convenient that is than a Kamado + ATC combo.

But back to the keg, I was just thinking that i might get better results if i switch to briquettes, since they burn lower than lump and the keg has its air holes separate from the charcoal grates (meaning ash clogging shouldn't be a problem like it is on some eggs). When you light yours, what's your process? I typically just light a starter cube (on top of a pile of lump) and shut the top when it's done, keep the vents open at 1.5 (top) and 2 (bottom) and start throttling the vents down to 0.5 and 0.5 at 150

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

dy. posted:

I see Memphis Dust getting a lot of run here. I tried it out on some pulled pork, and it was good, but I found the ginger to be a bit overpowering. I did use ginger from a fancy spice company so wondering if it's just stronger than the recipe was accounting for.

Do you guys find it very gingery?

I also thought it was a little to gingery. I cut back by about half, unless I am doing Ginger Wings or Salmon. I use that rub for just about everything but I use it as a base recipe and I omit and/or add things depending on what I am doing at the time. I make what I use for my pulled pork in bulk and then if what I am making uses basically that I can just grab that and mix in other things. If it is too different then I make a small batch of whatever I need. But most things use Memphis Dust as a base.

Basically just alter it to whatever your are smoking at the time. I like to experiment when I am making ribs. I will do a rack with a couple different tests. Make sure to have about 2-3 bones for each thing so you can taste it and have another person try it too.

Think I might have to make some ribs this weekend now...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Guitarchitect posted:

But back to the keg, I was just thinking that i might get better results if i switch to briquettes, since they burn lower than lump and the keg has its air holes separate from the charcoal grates (meaning ash clogging shouldn't be a problem like it is on some eggs). When you light yours, what's your process? I typically just light a starter cube (on top of a pile of lump) and shut the top when it's done, keep the vents open at 1.5 (top) and 2 (bottom) and start throttling the vents down to 0.5 and 0.5 at 150

I chuck a few handfuls in (if empty) and set my electric contact starter into them. Once a few are started I open both vents and close the top. When within 50 degrees of my target I put the iQue on the vent and set it, closing the top vent to the 1 position if not nearly closed. Once it gets to within 25 degrees of target I compare the maverick pit probe with the iQue probe and dial it in as it should be for 225 and let her go. I often put the meat (and the wood chunks) on at that point as well because if you wait for 225 and open to put the meat on you are allowing a ton of fresh air in that will cause it to overshoot.

I go to start that process a good hour prior to expecting to put the food on. Rushing the initial heat-up is not a good move. My Keg will hold and I mean NAIL 225 for 14+ hours with the iQue as long as all coals are touching. There is no season, I use it year round.

But yeah I have the original model with the sliding door for the bottom vent.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 11, 2018

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Trastion posted:

I also thought it was a little to gingery. I cut back by about half, unless I am doing Ginger Wings or Salmon. I use that rub for just about everything but I use it as a base recipe and I omit and/or add things depending on what I am doing at the time. I make what I use for my pulled pork in bulk and then if what I am making uses basically that I can just grab that and mix in other things. If it is too different then I make a small batch of whatever I need. But most things use Memphis Dust as a base.

Basically just alter it to whatever your are smoking at the time. I like to experiment when I am making ribs. I will do a rack with a couple different tests. Make sure to have about 2-3 bones for each thing so you can taste it and have another person try it too.

Think I might have to make some ribs this weekend now...

this is good to know - I was going to make his KC sauce and the mustard bbq sauce this weekend along with the dust on some ribs, I'll be sure to hold back the ginger powder a little bit

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

I chuck a few handfuls in (if empty) and set my electric contact starter into them. Once a few are started I open both vents and close the top. When within 50 degrees of my target I put the iQue on the vent and set it, closing the top vent to the 1 position if not nearly closed. Once it gets to within 25 degrees of target I compare the maverick pit probe with the iQue probe and dial it in as it should be for 225 and let her go. I often put the meat (and the wood chunks) on at that point as well because if you wait for 225 and open to put the meat on you are allowing a ton of fresh air in that will cause it to overshoot.

I go to start that process a good hour prior to expecting to put the food on. Rushing the initial heat-up is not a good move. My Keg will hold and I mean NAIL 225 for 14+ hours with the iQue as long as all coals are touching. There is no season, I use it year round.

But yeah I have the original model with the sliding door for the bottom vent.

Alright - I'll give it a shot! It may be that I'm not putting my meat on early enough (but I also don't have the IQ - I always suspected it'd be good with a stoker but like I say, I haven't the funds). Maybe with the right technique it'll hold temp without one but I won't hold my breath.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This looks good. I found another recipe that’s pretty similar almost identical except for the corn syrup.

http://cookinglifetothefullest.com/grilled-garlic-parmesan-wings/
Though if I do this recipe I think I’m gonna double the sauce and triple or quadruple the parmesan cheese.

Mom wants me to do garlic parmesan wings along with some garlic parmesan thighs for Mother’s Day. Gonna be a good time. :getin:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 12, 2018

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Just dropping in to remind everyone that you can still smoke meat with a regular Weber Kettle and do the snake thing, the only accessory you need is a cheapo thermometer from Amazon (this one has a wireless receiver so I can smoke from the couch in the air conditioning).

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Got a couple slabs of pork ribs going, will post up results later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ended up smoking the lamb shanks and just leaving them in the smoker the entire way. Pretty good! Very different flavor. I don't think I've ever had lamb shank before, but it's good!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kerosene19 posted:

Got a couple slabs of pork ribs going, will post up results later.

Nice setup

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Thanks!

Turned out really good, next time I’ll go easier on the rub next time though. It was a little salty. Ran it for about 6 hours between 220 and 240F on peach until it hit 172. Basted twice with bbq sauce, once at hour 5 and then again when it got to the countertop. Rested for 20 minutes. Was almost to falling off the bone but firm enough to still carve up.

F
Nov 6, 2005

A good looking plate mate.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Pork shoulder was on sale today. I picked up eight 4-lb pieces and see a vacation day coming on Friday. I'll post pics of a fully loaded WSM then.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Man, I have a feeling I'm going to get hate until I post some pictures this weekend but I've been having amazing smokes on a gas grill with just a smoker tube. Temperature control is as simple as can be, and the smoker tube itself puts out a TON of smoke for 5 hours.

I was going to get a dedicated smoker this spring/summer but I did ribs and chicken so good this weekend that I may hold off.

I know it's probably sacrilege in this thread but seriously, smoker tubes are getting me some great results, I'll do a pork butt this weekend and show you guys what I'm getting out of it.

10 Beers posted:

For slicing, how long do you guys usually smoke pork shoulders at, and at what temperature? Is there a general time per pound guideline?

175f will get you nice and soft pork you can slice.

I've never really had luck with times per pound, once I started using an instant-read thermometer I never looked back. You'll find estimates online but there can be such a large variance in cooking times it's better to just trust the thermometer rather than the clock.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tumble posted:

Man, I have a feeling I'm going to get hate until I post some pictures this weekend but I've been having amazing smokes on a gas grill with just a smoker tube. Temperature control is as simple as can be, and the smoker tube itself puts out a TON of smoke for 5 hours.

I don't have poo poo for temperature control for my gas grill, even at the lowest setting it's way too hot for smoking. If yours does, more power to you. Tons of folks use pellets for smoke. Do you use a water pan? Just curious how you have it set up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I was going to get a dedicated smoker this spring/summer but I did ribs and chicken so good this weekend that I may hold off.

I know it's probably sacrilege in this thread but seriously, smoker tubes are getting me some great results, I'll do a pork butt this weekend and show you guys what I'm getting out of it.

175f will get you nice and soft pork you can slice.

I've never really had luck with times per pound, once I started using an instant-read thermometer I never looked back. You'll find estimates online but there can be such a large variance in cooking times it's better to just trust the thermometer rather than the clock.

Nah, we're all pretty "If it works, awesome" around here. There's a lot of love here for smoker tubes/A-MAZE-N stuff. This is a chill thread for chill people who like smoked meats and other things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Smoky meat is what's important. How you get there far less so.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Larrymer posted:

I don't have poo poo for temperature control for my gas grill, even at the lowest setting it's way too hot for smoking. If yours does, more power to you. Tons of folks use pellets for smoke. Do you use a water pan? Just curious how you have it set up.

I do use a water pan, but I just put it on the grate above the active burner. But yea, the grill holds a low temperature very well when using it for indirect heating, if I have just one burner going it will hold 230f for hours and hours without having to fiddle with the settings. It's a small Weber Spirit.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to elevate the meats to get more smoke to circulate around the whole piece. Currently I just use an old baking sheet and some wire racks and it works alright but I'm sure I'll figure out an even more elaborate method sooner or later. Maybe meat bondage contraption or something.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If that's what you got then keep smoking and post pictures because I want to see your rig. I am currently smoking chicken and fruit for tortillas soup. I'll post pictures when it's all done.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone out there using a BGE to smoke cheese? I’m wondering if it can hold 90F, or if I’m out of luck.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I do use a water pan, but I just put it on the grate above the active burner. But yea, the grill holds a low temperature very well when using it for indirect heating, if I have just one burner going it will hold 230f for hours and hours without having to fiddle with the settings. It's a small Weber Spirit.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to elevate the meats to get more smoke to circulate around the whole piece. Currently I just use an old baking sheet and some wire racks and it works alright but I'm sure I'll figure out an even more elaborate method sooner or later. Maybe meat bondage contraption or something.

Brisket shibari. Post pics.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Brisket shibari. Post pics.

Should not have Googled that.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I was expecting a cool new brisket cook method, but instead, gently caress.

gently caress

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone out there using a BGE to smoke cheese? I’m wondering if it can hold 90F, or if I’m out of luck.

Right here. :)

Get a big empty metal can. Fill it with charcoal. Light the charcoal, then put it in the Egg below the convEGGtor and put wood on top. It’ll stay right around 90° or lower and should smoke for an hour or two. If you want to smoke the cheese longer you’ll have to take everything out and re-add charcoal and wood. Also don’t forget to put the cheese on a wire rack over a pan of ice.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Stalizard posted:

Just dropping in to remind everyone that you can still smoke meat with a regular Weber Kettle and do the snake thing, the only accessory you need is a cheapo thermometer from Amazon (this one has a wireless receiver so I can smoke from the couch in the air conditioning).

Tell me more. I want a slow n sear but before I get one I have a 10lb picnic ham that needs to be cooked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Right here. :)

Get a big empty metal can. Fill it with charcoal. Light the charcoal, then put it in the Egg below the convEGGtor and put wood on top. It’ll stay right around 90° or lower and should smoke for an hour or two. If you want to smoke the cheese longer you’ll have to take everything out and re-add charcoal and wood. Also don’t forget to put the cheese on a wire rack over a pan of ice.

Thank you! Now to find a can.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you! Now to find a can.

I used a ~30 oz baked beans can, but there’s way bigger cans out there if you know where to look at your grocery store. I also got a giant rear end can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup and an even bigger can of baked beans that I haven’t tried yet. I’m hoping the coals will burn longer in those since they’re bigger.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Yeah a coffee can would work, most are plastic now though but I know of a few that still come in metal.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I used a ~30 oz baked beans can, but there’s way bigger cans out there if you know where to look at your grocery store. I also got a giant rear end can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup and an even bigger can of baked beans that I haven’t tried yet. I’m hoping the coals will burn longer in those since they’re bigger.

Coffee cans are common in the US.

E;f,b and even with a big lebowski screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t really drink coffee, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.