Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

undertale was great but lisa does almost everything so much better with making killing seem more hosed up. people hate lisa the painful but I loved how you can basically kill everyone whether it was justified or not. undertale wimps out by making you grind boring battles repeatedly instead of going all the way and just letting you wipe out the towns (or at least more unique npcs after Snowden)

I don't remember any backlash against painful, only joyful

Also the wiping out the towns in undertale *is* the "grind boring battles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

undertale was great but lisa does almost everything so much better with making killing seem more hosed up. people hate lisa the painful but I loved how you can basically kill everyone whether it was justified or not. undertale wimps out by making you grind boring battles repeatedly instead of going all the way and just letting you wipe out the towns (or at least more unique npcs after Snowden)

:hai:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Having not played Lisa, murdering innocent cute monsters is a bit more impactful than murdering Beyond Thunderdome gross mutant men but what do I know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For some reason I'm thinking a lot about Jet Set Radio Future today and how much I want to play it again.

I wonder how many people like me had never heard of it, got it included with an XBox, and fell deeply in love with a game they never imagined would exist.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Maybe I missed it during the Undertale and OST chat, was this already known?

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/994863468409970688

quote:

Here are the titles presented in the video:

- Celeste
- Overcooked: Special Edition
- The Flame in the Flood
- RoRoRoRo
- Aegis Defenders
- Stardew Valley
- Gorogoa
- Guns, Gore & Cannoli
- Lumines Remastered
- Mineko’s Night Market
- 7 Billion Humans
- Just Shapes & Beats
- PixelJunk Monsters 2
- Dead Cells
- The Escapists 2
- Nippon Marathon
- Bad North
- Minit
- Yooka-Laylee
- Undertale

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

Having not played Lisa, murdering innocent cute monsters is a bit more impactful than murdering Beyond Thunderdome gross mutant men but what do I know.

:same:

lisa the painful treated most of its violence as a dark joke and lisa the joyful was so relentlessly grim and flat that buddy's death march wasn't really that impactful in the end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another important factor differentiating the two is that in LISA the painful, the enemies are instigating the fights, while the monsters in undertale just don't know what the hell they're doing and, outside of a few specific cases, don't necessarily realize that what they're doing is hurting you. I know there was something somewhere in the game that said that, and it's definitely shown in cases like with Toriel who specifically goes out of her way to try to not kill you while still attacking you and Papyrus who doesn't kill you and just locks you up when you get low on HP, while other monsters are just doing poo poo like trying to tell jokes or just flexing or talking about how it isn't like they like you or anything, baka.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Harrow posted:

For some reason I'm thinking a lot about Jet Set Radio Future today and how much I want to play it again.

I wonder how many people like me had never heard of it, got it included with an XBox, and fell deeply in love with a game they never imagined would exist.

Surprised that game isn’t yet one of the backwards compatible games on Xbox One.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Undertale combat is actually fun

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nindies are back baby. 1000 years of luigi

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Whoops I meant Joyful but the whole undertake monsters are peaceful thing kinda dies after the tutorial with dog with two knives trying to stab you then Undyne trying to kill you. I just prefer more realistic fantasy to be honest (no that isn’t a contradiction)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would love a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHzN2nQU-cs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Whoops I meant Joyful but the whole undertake monsters are peaceful thing kinda dies after the tutorial with dog with two knives trying to stab you then Undyne trying to kill you. I just prefer more realistic fantasy to be honest (no that isn’t a contradiction)

the only monsters who are actually out to snuff you are undyne and the royal guard dogs (the latter of whom who are a bit thick) because they're directly working for the king, mad dummy (because he's a prick), mettaton (who has his own agenda), muffet (because she's gotta get PAID y'all) and asgore himself

the rest of them are just trying to make friendly conversation

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bonetrousle is awesome and I often hum it when going about my work day :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the only monsters who are actually out to snuff you are undyne and the royal guard dogs (the latter of whom who are a bit thick) because they're directly working for the king, mad dummy (because he's a prick), mettaton (who has his own agenda), muffet (because she's gotta get PAID y'all) and asgore himself

the rest of them are just trying to make friendly conversation

There are those lategame enemies too, the uhh wizard and knight knights or whatever they're called. They're also working directly under Asgore though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The cute monsters make the absolute abominations in Alphys' lab much more nightmarish. One of the few times the mad scientist trope kind of paid off. These really are skeletons in her closet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOMyOEodwk8

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

nindies are back baby. 1000 years of luigi

Wrong it’s 1000 millenniums of Wario now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Maybe I missed it during the Undertale and OST chat, was this already known?

You mean that Undertale is coming to Switch? They announced it during the last direct.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

The cute monsters make the absolute abominations in Alphys' lab much more nightmarish. One of the few times the mad scientist trope kind of paid off. These really are skeletons in her closet.

no, papyrus was at work that day

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

VideoGames posted:

Bonetrousle is awesome and I often hum it when going about my work day :D

Are you papyrus irl

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yes I'm sure the fandom for a game involving young looking characters, tentacles and squirting fluids has produced nothing objectionable at all.

They're children for gods' sake.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's often objectively unfair to the work and its creator(s), but when the bad aspects of a fandom are vocal and nigh-omnipresent online, at least for its time of peak popularity, it's understandable that it might influence you. Especially if they're the types to browbeat over mild criticism or mistakes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are you papyrus irl

He does have a cheeky smile! :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

He does have a cheeky smile! :D

Can't believe you'd make fun of his debilitating lack of skin like this...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi8Fo0a9tcA

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone make a Games Thread playlist
:toot: Games Thread Playlist :sax::banjo:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Surprised that game isn’t yet one of the backwards compatible games on Xbox One.

They know we all have it on vita

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The trip back to Marcus's home in GoW Act 4 is really weird. It's completely hamfisted in in a 'oh you're going hear next' way but I figured that there would be some character development at least. But no, you just go there and shoot a whole load of Locust and that's it*, you might as well be in anybody's house. Very bizarre.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

univbee posted:

Licensed music kills another game dead forever

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

didn't know you were a "polytheist"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally finished Pyre and allowed myself to buy the soundtrack. It's just as beautiful as I had hoped, but I'm a bit disappointed that the songs with vocals are literally about the events of the game. The more abstract, reference-free songs from Bastion and Transistor are easier to listen to casually somehow.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best meta thing in all of games is in Ghost Trick when Yomiel turns and directly addresses the player.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Are you referring to the characters or the fanbase?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The video game that taught me that murder is bad is Cannon Fodder, not this dang Undertale nonsense. Millennials these days need some furry animals to tell them things are bad cause they remind them of their stuff animals on their beds!

note: this poster would like to inform you she sleeps with several stuff animals, and this post is not meant to be taken seriously
I have a T.Rex!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i found red dead redemption the other day so i'm going to play that soon. yatta

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phantasium posted:

You mean that Undertale is coming to Switch? They announced it during the last direct.

I meant all the games on that list.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m nearing the end of Yakuza 3 and I barely did any side content because every time I got into a street fight my wife would grab the controller and beat them up then beeline to the main objective so I never even got to run a lending company

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I meant all the games on that list.

oh. some of those were known but also I'm not an expert on what indie games are going to switch, nintendo does like showing them off in little trailers though because there are a fuckton of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finally, celeste on Switch!!!

• Locked thread