Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jedit posted:

As a child, successful black businessman Bruce Wayans saw his parents killed. Now he fights crime dressed as a symbol that strikes fear into men's hearts - a successful black businessman.

This is an incredible line and I'm totally going to borrow it off-site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean it reminds me of White Chicks, so there’s that.

This is actually fair

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Not Operator posted:

There aren't many at his level of fame, I guess?

Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Boyega are probably it. Get Out was a big deal, but I dunno if Daniel Kaluuya is still in people's minds.

I doubt anyone who was in Black Panther will ever have trouble getting a role again, so there's that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iirc one of the things that might make a black Batman weird is that the Waynes are very specifically old American money with a huge self sustaining business empire. Black Panther might well be the closest take on that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iirc one of the things that might make a black Batman weird is that the Waynes are very specifically old American money with a huge self sustaining business empire. Black Panther might well be the closest take on that.

It would be a movie about a master ninja detective fighting a clown themed crime ring. I think an old influential moneyed black family won't strain credulity too much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t want a black Batman because I know the DC writers won’t be able to resist turning the Joker into a white supremacist “as a foil” and it’s just going to be terrible all around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about Black Superman was how Lex (who was still white) spent a good chunk of his time telling people that he hated Superman for reasons other than his being black.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lupita is just now getting better roles (excited to see her in Jordan Peele's new flick) and she's had an Oscar for years now.

Black/ppc actors, even decorated ones just don't tend to get the same opportunities. We'll never know why. 🤷🏾‍♀️

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iirc one of the things that might make a black Batman weird is that the Waynes are very specifically old American money with a huge self sustaining business empire.

Just make Batman a legacy character?
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batwing_(David_Zavimbe)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

The funny thing about Black Superman was how Lex (who was still white) spent a good chunk of his time telling people that he hated Superman for reasons other than his being black.

I've always read the DCAU Luthor as black, or mixed-race. I'm not sure if it was intentional, I've had others disagree. Im also not sure there's an official answer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Greek apparently. That shot is pretty dark lighting for the show.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
He's based visually on Telly Savalas, who was Greek.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I see it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Brooklyn 99 has always been problematic, but it was recently announced it wouldn't be renewed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

It would be a movie about a master ninja detective fighting a clown themed crime ring. I think an old influential moneyed black family won't strain credulity too much.

Pretty much. The only thing that's key to his story there is 'rich'. There are rich black people, it'd be fine. The real issue is that this

I don’t want a black Batman because I know the DC writers won’t be able to resist turning the Joker into a white supremacist “as a foil” and it’s just going to be terrible all around.

is 100% true and that'd be the terrible part.

"WANNA KNOW HOW I GOT THESE SCARS?!"

"Well they're shaped like swastikas so...no thank you?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Jedit posted:

As a child, successful black businessman Bruce Wayans saw his parents killed. Now he fights crime dressed as a symbol that strikes fear into men's hearts - a successful black businessman.

I'm imagining that he's just using his business empire and influence to get the city to flood Gotham with services, thus directly fighting the root of crime, AND angering white people everywhere. Pretty hosed up that they all refer to him as "Blackman" though.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

In a bizarre twist the Joker is literally just Richard Spencer. No makeup, no nothing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Great Metal Jesus posted:

In a bizarre twist the Joker is literally just Richard Spencer. No makeup, no nothing.

Milo, surely.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is the world ready for a gay, fashy Joker?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

Is the world ready for a gay, fashy Joker?

Didn't Sherlock already do this?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pick posted:

Brooklyn 99 has always been problematic, but it was recently announced it wouldn't be renewed.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pick posted:

What? It was like the least problematic most progressive show out there. Unless you hated kittens or something

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Pick posted:

gently caress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the extremely woke nypd

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arivia posted:

What? It was like the least problematic most progressive show out there. Unless you hated kittens or something

It's on Fox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MokBa posted:

I'm imagining that he's just using his business empire and influence to get the city to flood Gotham with services, thus directly fighting the root of crime, AND angering white people everywhere. Pretty hosed up that they all refer to him as "Blackman" though.

You should hear the theme music.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

You should hear the theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GrandpaPants posted:

It's on Fox.

It’s also about cops.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now, Spider-man, a poor kid from Queens, being black is easy. Weirdly enough it's something that wouldn't even affect his superhero dynamic much given he wears a full-body costume. (as demonstrated)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

With the bonus irony that the other Spider-man is black.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Arivia posted:

Some people feel that any show about police that portrays them as well-meaning likeable doofs is problematic. The other big ones people raise are the sexual harassment jokes, that the Captain is bad gay representation (somehow) or that the show had Bad Ideas about relationships re: Boyle/Diaz, but it cleared that up and actually expressly went 'holy poo poo that was kinda creepy'.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gaunab posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I just need hulu to come through for me this one time and pick up B99.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Volcott posted:

I just need hulu to come through for me this one time and pick up B99 The Mick.

fixed

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Gaunab posted:

NOOOOOOO[opening credits]

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Arivia posted:

Pick gets upset any time she encounters actual humor

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Pick gets upset any time she encounters actual humor

I'm assuming the problem is (and I'm saying this as someone who likes the show, albeit I'm hesitant for this reason..) is that at the end of the day, it's still pro-police. Sure it's not Blue Bloods or SVU but even the "wow the nypd are hosed up" episodes are resolved pretty poorly. We have to suspend belief that this is the one department in the NYPD that doesn't do broken window policing, racial targeting, unlawful civil asset forfeiture etc.

It's kinda like how they say you can't truly make an antiwar movie. But that's a big debate that's probably not appropriate for this thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pick posted:

Learning this has bummed me out so much.

Raymond Holt will always be in the top 10 TV characters of all time for me. A wonderful man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pick posted:

And as if to rub salt into the wound, Tim Allen's thoroughly garbage and racist show Last Man Standing was just revived and picked up for a new season on Fox.