Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

how is seinfeld anime

it was good in the 80s-90s then other people ruined it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wanna play hyrule warriors so bad but I don't want to plug my wiiu in again but waiting until next Friday uggghhhh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

empathe posted:

So I'm an idiot and got the 8bitdo adapter to use PS4 controllers to use my arcade stick for BlazBlue and SF 30th and it arrived and then I remembered the stick isn't wireless.

So which adapter am I supposed to get?

Brooks is good

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oh cool, that really reminds me of Catgirl Without Salad. Sucks that Wayforward never made a full version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU96S1E3Pbg

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Calaveron posted:

I wanna play hyrule warriors so bad but I don't want to plug my wiiu in again but waiting until next Friday uggghhhh

Get the 3DS version from GameStop and return it within a week.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kikkoman posted:

Immortal Redneck I only got about 15 minutes in, but I'm getting strong Ziggurat vibes which is great. Gyro aiming is definitely in there but is a bit wonky if you're playing on the bus, so I had to turn it off. The amount of cussing from the main character is such a turn off though, it doesn't mesh well at all with the look of the game.

I played about an hour last night and while I really liked what I played, I agree that the main character really doesn't make any sense. I get what they were going for (a Duke Nukem-style foulmouthed protagonist) but honestly it doesn't add anything to the game.

As for the gameplay: it's very, very Doom/Doom 2016, but without the careful level design (due to its randomized nature), and instead of the right stick kill for health/ammo, enemies drop loot/health/ammo randomly. That said, I like the combo of roguelike dungeons AND a skill tree, which has a nice combo of infinite game play and a sense of powerup/progression. Also cool is that upgrading branches of the tree unlocks alternate characters with different abilities and weapons, which is a nice touch.

Graphically, it's not great. Lighting and textures are nothing to write home about, and the rez is 800p docked, and 576p portable (with even worse lighting and textures). But the run and gun gameplay is fun, and if you like Doom 2016 and roguelikes there are worse ways to spend $20.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Calaveron posted:

just play near the end of skyward sword then

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Axiom Verge really that bad?
I'm probably the dissenting opinion here in that I really liked it.

It plays closer to the first three Metroids in that it drops you into an alien world with little back story and an unclear objective. You're supposed to explore and figure the world out, and ultimately why you're there. Although it has in game map, it's one of those games that encourages you to drawn out your own map and annotate it when you find a place you can't get to yet (and for which it might not be obvious how you would even get there). Aside from Metroid, it takes other influences from NES classics like Contra, Bionic Commando, and Rygar; and generally is a nod to that era of gaming. So if you like those games you'll probably like AV. If you prefer modern Metroids (Fusion and Zero Mission) or Metroidvanias with clearer task objectives then you might not like it as much.

The Manticore posted:

Constantly getting upgrades for 0.1% increase to my shot range wasn't very exciting either.
That's AV's version of "getting another missile pack" since the game doesn't have limited ammo. While not great, most games in the genre have a pile of less-exciting rewards for exploration.

SeANMcBAY posted:

One thing I really like about AV is how it turned weird glitches people would find speed running Metroids into a gameplay mechanic.
There's a whole history of those glitches, particularly in NES Metroid, that predated their use in modern speed running. That's one of the things of the 8-bit era that AV really tried to capture and build on.

Ziddar posted:

I found Axiom Verge to be just okay. It plays like it was made by someone who really loved Super Metroid, but wasn't entirely sure why it was so good. Weapon bloat and damage sponges are just a couple of its problems.
Mark Brown made a video on how AV made good use of Super Metroid's design influences, particularly in the world design.

The weapon bloat, though, is probably AV's biggest weakness. Tom wanted to include a bunch of weapons in the game that played a little differently from each other, and for the most part they do. However, he wanted to make most of those weapons OK to discover out of order, or not at all, so they all have to be roughly equivalent in power. That leads to AV using power/range/size nodes to serve as upgrades for all weapons, but that runs into balance issues where if you don't pick up enough of them during exploration then later enemies have too much HP.

The Metroid games handle this better by giving the player weapons in clear progression and really powerful ammo-consuming weapons (super missiles). Having optional ammo upgrades doesn't really hurt the player outside of boss fights as you really just have to spend more time farming ammo. AV's approach really makes it really hard to keep the game in balance.

AV definitely isn't a game for everyone, but it's not just a Super Metroid clone either. Overall I think its design is done well and it's definitely novel. If you like the genre I'd at least try it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 11, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Get the 3DS version from GameStop and return it within a week.

I mean the point is that I don't wanna get burnt out doing missions I'll have to do again later
Fire emblem warriors isn't quite scratching the same itch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not sure if this was known but N++ coming later this month

https://twitter.com/metanetsoftware/status/994881047580979200

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

HELL yeah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DLC Inc posted:

holy poo poo :worship:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This thread title is way better than the last one.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

Niiiiiice

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Also I am halfway through an Axiom Verge playthrough that kinda petered out but it felt a lot more like the original Metroid than Super

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Calaveron posted:

I mean the point is that I don't wanna get burnt out doing missions I'll have to do again later
Fire emblem warriors isn't quite scratching the same itch

Have you played One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? It's supposed to be out on the eShop as of yesterday.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

DLC Inc posted:

N+ was the game I bought a DS to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want west of loathing

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I wonder if N++ is the most ported game in the universe (after the original DOOM).

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I have mixed feelings on the look of the armor in Zelda. There’s a lot of cool stuff in that it’s well designed and neat looking, but almost all of it just looks... wrong. I always find myself running around in the Hylian set because it’s awesome looking and super easy to max out. Meanwhile everything else looks way too gimmicky or extravagant. I’ll use other stuff for functional reasons, but it’s not a good game for fashion souls. I just want link to look like a badass adventure guy and I feel like the options are way too limited.

I’ll still take it over modern AAA games where the hero has a set look and new armor basically boils down to changing a few textures. At least there’s a lot of variety.

just wear a crimson-dyed stealth outfit with the lynel mask ya dummy

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

I wonder if N++ is the most ported game in the universe (after the original DOOM).

I don't think it's high up there, even if you count N, N+, and N++ as the same game (they're not)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

gmq posted:

Tetris

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gmq posted:

N++ is a straight sequel to the old games even if the name doesn't imply it (just a lot more stuff going on, different level structure, multiplayer cooperative and competitive modes) and I think it's only on PS4 and PC. It was a PS4 exclusive at launch for like a year and I think it sold really badly and the company was in danger of going under, so if they're still around I'm assuming the PC launch helped them at least tread water.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just beat Panicky Paddles pretty easily and don't see what the fuss was about lol

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What is N++

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

SNES emulation on PSP is bad

What is good for portable SNES emulation? It looks like the GSP WIN is the gold standard but I don't want a full keyboard in the clamshell and Amazon says the thing weighs a good two pounds.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Omg yaaas I still fire up N+ on my PC from time to time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

What is N++

Ninja does grey platforms to collect gold.

Its pretty classic at this point coming out of the flash scene like 2 decades ago

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr Cheeto posted:

What is N++

A better take on Super Meat Boy, that also predates it. I don't like SMB, but love everything N+ related.

To further clarify, N++ is the latest entry in the N series, and it has a ton of poo poo. Minimal graphics, but the physics are wonderful.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

What is N++

Sequel to the granddaddy of difficult 1-hit kill single screen platformers like Celeste or Super Meat Boy. It has a really unique and satisfying momentum-based physics system, a million levels, and some great local multiplayer modes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

WilliamAnderson posted:

Have you played One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? It's supposed to be out on the eShop as of yesterday.

I don't care for One Piece though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i cant wait for monster hunter on switch because ive never gotten to play one

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
edit: Wrong thread sorry.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

In the past 24 hours I've got from intrigued to, "maybe I should re-buy a 3DS to replay 3U."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

eonwe posted:

Same, but I worry that it will be like Bayo 1 and 2. Both good games but I was probably better off just getting or waiting for the second one which is a straight up better version of the first in every way. Kind of why I only bought resident evil revelations 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bayonetta 1 was better

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Boring grey joycon, or red/blue? Thoughts?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Oh :hellyeah:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

What is good for portable SNES emulation? It looks like the GSP WIN is the gold standard but I don't want a full keyboard in the clamshell and Amazon says the thing weighs a good two pounds.

Probably a homebrewed New 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TheScott2K posted:

Boring grey joycon, or red/blue? Thoughts?

Provided no price difference you should just go with whatever you like better, and the way you phrased that sounds like you already have an opinion.

I'm on the boring greys because I preordered my Switch the night preorders went up and I was assuming they were gonna sell out in minutes and didn't notice they had the neons up, but I quickly came to realize I don't really look at my joycons while I'm actually using the console so I've never had the urge to replace them.

• Locked thread