Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
lol it leads off with him forcibly kissing somebody dude, maybe gently caress off with that bullshit

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

It's quite good; don't read or otherwise concern yourself with that portion of the review.

Although the reviewer is basically correct.

Even when all I read was science fiction I was so pissed off with how Inverted World ended.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2022

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A little etiquette goes a long way, pleasecallmechrist.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
imo judge junot diaz' books not because he's a misogynist creep but because they are bad books

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

pleasecallmechrist posted:

And the rest of it is other women bitching about him not being polite

yelling rape at someone and shutting down women isn't about being polite

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

imo most male lit dudes have terrible views and/or horrible people like the one personal example i have about tao lin that i post alot

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

in other news for a v. on brand post i was reading mo yans republic of wine while drinking wine (both of which were good) at the river when i dropped the book into the rapids and it was swept away.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tbh all books deserve it

e: I left 2666 on a train once, with a bookmark in the chapter where the women were being murdered. So someone between Sheffield and Nottingham will have had that as their introduction to Roberto Bolaño. Good I say. gently caress books imo, overrated

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 8, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I forgot Fukuyama's end of history on a train. Good riddance

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I've never lost a book on public transportation, but I sometimes like to bookmark page 58 of The Corrections at book stores (the part about sniffing panties and thinking about jismic butt-oinks).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm going to read That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana and i probably won't lose or forget the book due in large part to my high IQ.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm going to read That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana and i probably won't lose or forget the book due in large part to my high IQ.

that book has a great title and lots of people say its really dense, which sounds very cool to me.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

im also gonna read tgat but im gonna drop it into the ocean or get it covered in ants or beetles and smear chocolate all over the pages because im dumb as poo poo

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 25, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Dzanc books is reprinting Women and Men by Joseph McElroy. Here's the link for anyone interested.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
somebody dumped their entire hemingway collection in the charity shop so i picked up old man and the sea and fiesta. Old man and the sea was very good

Also picked up the goldfinch and the minotaur takes a cigarette break :shrug:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I always put influxes like that down to someone dying.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it usually is

(or somebody moving)

my luckiest find was in a lovely charity shop in Londono, which had dozens of contemporary world lit books (mo yan, dubravka ugrešič, amelie nothombe...) in among all the jeffrey archer and maeve binchy. i've been there twice since and ian mcewan is basically as good as it gets

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Agrees. Brief Wonderous Life is like Ready Player One for minorities.

jesus dude

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Vivaldi is the Ready Player One of music.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Technically, yes it is.

dunno how to explain that shouting rape at someone is very threatening like if you did that to me your going to get a butterfly in your stomach

the awful mess on the via merulana is p. cool so far
plus my cover is really good looking

lmao

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I also think it is cool, so far, but I can't see the cover because I'm reading it on an Amazon Kindle!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've only read a tiny little bit but I'm afraid the girl with the good rear end will be mixed up in this murder somehow

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you did tha to me you'd get butterflies in your tummy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CestMoi posted:

I've only read a tiny little bit but I'm afraid the girl with the good rear end will be mixed up in this murder somehow

It's important to sympathise with the characters in a novel :eng101:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I always put influxes like that down to someone dying.

You can learn a lot about people from what they donate. Sometimes it's a pile of Mills and Boons. Sometimes it's a load of Mishima. Sometimes it's the notebooks he wrote his sermons in. Sometimes it's a dozen VHS tapes of Basic Instinct ripoffs.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

one day the local charity shop got in some very nice ~30s editions of Da Vinci's notebooks, collected editions of George Bernard Shaw, Goethe and such, but also maybe 20 different wrestler biographies. duality of man etc etc

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wrestler biographies own op

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

only mick foley's

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

only mick foley's

Dynamite Kid's biography is art

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Bret Hart’s is good too

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Perhaps the truth is that wrestler biographies own.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I finished Dubliners there yesterday. It was pretty decent. Ending on The Dead showed a level of improvement in Joyce's belief and conviction, with it written a year after all the others. There's a lot to it, including the title, and I could spent a long time thinking about it. I think it also balanced really well with its opening story, The Sisters. A story that got to me a lot, enough that I riffed on it in my own work.

The thing that most strikes me is the idea of if it was released now. It was a lot of quiet despair and sometimes resilience in the face of middle class (lower middle class) occupation and trials. I can imagine the tightness of its perspective, as internally broad as it is, would clash against views of modern openness and equality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished A Land More Kind than Home and The Snow Child over the last week. The former was a decent page-turner with a strong voice but it kind of came and went without anything leaving much of an impact on me in terms of story or imagery (only evocative scenes I can recall were the snowy mountain trek and the house full of snakeskins). The sheriff also felt a little too reminiscent of Bell from No Country For Old Men for my tastes, but maybe that's just archetypes at work. Anyone else who read and liked it should check out Tom Franklin, particularly Hell at the Breech and Poachers. His stories are based in about the same region but the actual descriptive prose is IMO way stronger.

The Snow Child wasn't my thing at all. Some decent naturalistic images but the whole thing came off as insufferably gentle and quaint.

Also chewed through Tenth of December in a couple of days at some point last month and George Saunders does third-person limited perspective in a way that brings shame upon his contemporaries, it's the best short story collection I've read since Scorch Atlas.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 11, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A land more kind than home loving haunted me in its bleakness so I am kind of surprised it didn't leave an impact on you.

The Snow Child definitely appeals to the quaint side of magical realism but for some reason the human side of the story really connected with me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I think bleak I think something like McCarthy's The Crossing or Outer Dark, ALMKtH certainly wasn't sunny but it didn't have nearly as much bite in comparison. I think it was the more prosaic depiction of the novel's events that did it - there isn't a really obvious sense of thematic or cosmic significance to the violence in Cash's novel, just ordinary people struggling against basic human meanness with a not-entirely-convincing uplifting note at the end.

e: also not gonna lie Aquarium had me thinking "oh here we go with this poo poo again" when the penitent grandfather character was introduced

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It was a few years ago but I dont remember there being a hopeful ending as much as "everyone you love is dead, kid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was a few years ago but I dont remember there being a hopeful ending as much as "everyone you love is dead, kid"

Jess' grandfather takes him in and the final chapter consists of Addie narrating how the church is slowly purging itself of Chambliss' influence and how she hopes it'll lead Jess and the other kids towards a better future. Which is, like, jfc cue the violins already