Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The local appliance stores will tend to have some flexibility on price, especially if you're negotiating more than one appliance, so bargain like an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If you can wait, I would hold out until Memorial Day in three weeks for some sales.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
My house is pretty new (less than two years old). I notice in one of the upstairs rooms there's a crack in the wall starting at the doorframe and the door's begun to stick. I've read a little about this and found a lot of alarming stuff about how this can indicate foundation problems, but it seems kind of strange for foundation problems to manifest themselves on the second floor. Does anyone have any thoughts?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh yeah that baby is sinking into whatever swamp you live in. Makes sense to be on the second floor, simple geometry really, a small change at the base is amplified the further away it gets.

Did you put anything heavy nearby that might be deflecting the floor?

Otherwise it’s probably minor settling, you could trim the door a little or if you’re really adventurous pop the trim and shim the frame, or shim at the hinges. I would keep my eye out for cracking in your foundation, and check the drainage around the property to make sure you’re shedding rainwater.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I know Sears is dying due to lack of oxygen at the CEO level, but until they go I'm always going to recommend finding your nearest Sears Outlet for any appliance purchase. You can save a ton, especially on a big sale weekend (like Memorial Day). I've bought a dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, dryer, and microwave there, and saved just under $2000 doing so.

Take a tape measure, be prepared to spend a while looking, be flexible about brands, be doubly sure to inspect every side of what you're buying (I saw a fridge there that had been dropped on a corner but it wasn't obvious from the front), and make sure you know all the parts you need are present. You lose some of the savings if you have to have it delivered, but it's the same price for delivery from a regular Sears, so.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice
I was raking out some of the winter kill this weekend and I encountered this on the trunk of a rhododendron that is next to my house:

Scattered on the ground was what looked like sawdust:

I didn't see any insects anywhere. When I pulled on trunk with just a little pressure it seemed like it was ready to snap.

Nothing on google (searching for wood boring insects and pests) seems to match what I'm seeing here.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Do I need to bring in somebody to look at this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tricky Ed posted:

I know Sears is dying due to lack of oxygen at the CEO level, but until they go I'm always going to recommend finding your nearest Sears Outlet for any appliance purchase. You can save a ton, especially on a big sale weekend (like Memorial Day). I've bought a dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, dryer, and microwave there, and saved just under $2000 doing so.

Take a tape measure, be prepared to spend a while looking, be flexible about brands, be doubly sure to inspect every side of what you're buying (I saw a fridge there that had been dropped on a corner but it wasn't obvious from the front), and make sure you know all the parts you need are present. You lose some of the savings if you have to have it delivered, but it's the same price for delivery from a regular Sears, so.
Maybe, but don't contact Sears Home Services about anything. They're worse than useless.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

qmark posted:

I was raking out some of the winter kill this weekend and I encountered this on the trunk of a rhododendron that is next to my house:

Scattered on the ground was what looked like sawdust:

I didn't see any insects anywhere. When I pulled on trunk with just a little pressure it seemed like it was ready to snap.

Nothing on google (searching for wood boring insects and pests) seems to match what I'm seeing here.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Do I need to bring in somebody to look at this?

Some type of woodpecker? Seems odd to be on a bush though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably the infamous pygmy yard rhino sharpening it's horn.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Oh yeah that baby is sinking into whatever swamp you live in. Makes sense to be on the second floor, simple geometry really, a small change at the base is amplified the further away it gets.

Did you put anything heavy nearby that might be deflecting the floor?

Otherwise it’s probably minor settling, you could trim the door a little or if you’re really adventurous pop the trim and shim the frame, or shim at the hinges. I would keep my eye out for cracking in your foundation, and check the drainage around the property to make sure you’re shedding rainwater.

I have one decent-sized crack in the basement floor and also this area is kind of prone to flooding from hydrostatic pressure (I have a sump pump which prevents it, but otherwise). I think I'm going to have an engineer look at it; either he'll tell me it's fine and I don't need to worry about it anymore or else I can hopefully nip it before it's a huge, expensive project.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I have one decent-sized crack in the basement floor and also this area is kind of prone to flooding from hydrostatic pressure (I have a sump pump which prevents it, but otherwise). I think I'm going to have an engineer look at it; either he'll tell me it's fine and I don't need to worry about it anymore or else I can hopefully nip it before it's a huge, expensive project.

Which area? The general area of your neighborhood or a specific area of your basement? Where does the water come from? Where do you live in general?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Which area? The general area of your neighborhood or a specific area of your basement? Where does the water come from? Where do you live in general?

I live in the Greater Boston Area (the South Shore, if that means anything to you) and I got the sump pump in response to an actual flood. It seeps in through the ground and where the ground meets the walls. No place in particular. Also the power went out a couple of months ago and the pump stopped pumping and I had the same thing again. From what I hear just about everyone in town has the same problem though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 11, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I see, generally foundations and especially basements are designed to relieve the hydrostatic pressure by means of a perimeter drain that leads to a pump or drain by means of gravity, or it’s designed to withstand the full brunt of that pressure. Looking forward to hearing what a local professional has to say.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does anyone here own a fridge with a see-through door?

I'm wondering whether they are a gimmick, or actually useful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're probably useful at shaming you into cleaning your refrigerator more often.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So with that LG do I lose all that door storage, because I am a big fan of door storage and would miss it more than I would enjoy my little window into arugula.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

enraged_camel posted:

The small door opener supposedly will save you money the long run since you aren't opening the entire door letting the cold air out.

The Dave posted:

So with that LG do I lose all that door storage, because I am a big fan of door storage and would miss it more than I would enjoy my little window into arugula.

You still keep the entire door space.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
No I think you can store stuff in the door, and if you open the little window you can access the in-door stuff from the "back" and not have to open the whole door.

That might be kind of useful, but I find it ugly and would not buy one -- especially if it's more expensive than the same fridge without the window.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Either way yeah it's a pretty ugly design solution for what isn't really a problem. I rather a fridge with an infotainment tablet shoved in that space.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You mean your fridge isn't covered with notes, magnetic letters, and artwork made by small children?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That's 100% a gimmick you'll likely get sick of within a few years, which is a bad thing when you're dealing with an appliance that costs $2k+.

But I'm generally of the 'stick to basic, timeless looks & don't buy gimmicks unless you're really really committed to using them forever' school of thought with appliances. That applies to smart appliances too - unless you're 100% invested in whatever added functionality there is, chances are that a)you won't actually gain much over a traditional appliance, and b)it's going to make the appliance crap out more often because you added a bunch of new failure points.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I actually like the door-in-door feature, but yeah, having it see-through seems a bit much. I'd probably fill it up with beer anyway, and I don't need to advertise to all my guests that I'm an alcoholic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's a stupid gimmick made to justify increasing/maintaining the price. Just like those IoShit tablets. My fridge doesn't need Twitter. It's not like it has an rfid sensor and the ability to monitor what I do and don't keep in there, how much, or how long to help with ordering. (or that the food comes with said sensors.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was looking at fridges recently and decided that the see-through mini-door and the smart fridges were dumb gimmicks designed to fleece the people who want to be tech trendy

You can be sure that the mini-door saving a tiny bit of electricity from only opening part of the door is partly counteracted by the see-through portion of the door not being as well-insulated. If you really want to save power then just get a freezer-bottom instead of freezer-top or side-by-side and be mindful of how often you open your fridge

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 11, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah same. I bought a fridge just as a replacement in a house I was planning on selling and went with “nice”, the $900 bottom freezer I purchased would have been the one I chose for myself for life.

Who wants a fridge that goes obsolete on tech quickly?

I’m also a philistine who drinks water from the tap, and can scoop my own ice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I still haven't hooked up the water line to my fridge, and I've owned it for seven years now. :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My previous rental had an opaque door within the door that we used for milk and juice and other high-frequency stuff. It was from the early 80s. I don’t know how much energy it saved, but it was handy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My fridge is a plane of magnetic steel and it’s everything I want in this world. No dispensers, windows... poo poo not even a curve. It’s just a flat piece of metal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So.. should I buy a full fridge now, or should I buy a mini fridge for like $150 and wait for memorial day sale at home depot or whatever for deep discounts?

Worth mentioning this is for a new house. I get the keys on Monday but will be moving in slowly. Not in a hurry in that regard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Do you have a garage for beer drinking in Secret Times?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

yes

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Yeah same. I bought a fridge just as a replacement in a house I was planning on selling and went with “nice”, the $900 bottom freezer I purchased would have been the one I chose for myself for life.

Who wants a fridge that goes obsolete on tech quickly?

I’m also a philistine who drinks water from the tap, and can scoop my own ice.

You might be able to scoop your own ice, but having an ice maker is a massive improvement over having to use ice trays.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah for sure but gently caress devoting useful door storage space to a dedicated dispenser.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah ice makers are awesome. With a bottom freezer you don’t get a dispenser, so it’s scoop city for me. The ice trays did make pure cubes though, the maker is tainted with rubber flavor, even with a copper line to it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

French doors up top and a freezer drawer is pro tier fridge game.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

^^^
My dude.

Just made the switch from a full French door and an in door dispenser on the freezer side to what you described and I’m never going back

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

French doors up top and a freezer drawer is pro tier fridge game.

link some examples?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah that's the fridge we have (french doors + bottom freezer) and we like it. My wife had initially wanted to replace the fridge to get one with a door ice maker and such but she ended up liking the extra door space more. The big tray of ice in the freezer is working for her. I've barely ever had an ice maker before so I can just say its way better than trays.

Our specific fridge is Samsung RF261BEAESR

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 12, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

link some examples?

I have a kitchenaid KRFC302ESS00

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-33-in-W-22-1-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-KRFF302ESS/206020698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Single door fridge with drawer freezer is both the most energy efficient and space efficient design and a grand less than the fancy new french door variants, you're a sucker if you get anything else.