Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I had to import the PS4 game and I'm skipping over all the 15 minute long visual novel cutscenes because what the gently caress man

the tank game is really good

oh that one is out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The funniest addition to that 9/11 no-no songs list is Walk Like an Egyptian

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

oh that one is out already?

it cost me a pretty penny on amazon but yeah with english subs

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Jesus loving Christ

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/994623229259116544

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

99% of the time someone says they are into ww2 tanks they are talking about that tank mmo, the high school girls in tanks anime, and/or pro-nazi historical revisionism

I care deeply about WWII tanks because the T-34 and the Sherman both owned incredibly hard and machines that kill Nazis make me hard.

I also used to be a Wehraboo when I was like 15, though, so my opinions are probably suspect.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Soviet tanks and tank sims are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Po77kzyX7g&t=315s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Plutonis posted:

what if i'm an aztec fanboy

incas > aztecs

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazycryodude posted:

I care deeply about WWII tanks because the T-34 and the Sherman both owned incredibly hard and machines that kill Nazis make me hard.

I also used to be a Wehraboo when I was like 15, though, so my opinions are probably suspect.

I have a 25mm battle-set of Nazi Panzergrenadiers vs. a Ghurka Recon platoon stashed in a toolbox, with Scotts and a StuG as the heaviest armor, but a bunch of universal carriers, and etc. I did some research and found that their most likely place for Ghurkas to be in battle with Nazis was near Rimini in 1944-1945, so I also have a stack of printed 11x17 strategic maps stashed with the models.

There were other tanks that killed Nazis. Lots of goddamn tanks can kill a loving Nazi.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

The point isn't that you shouldn't learn military history, but that there's a lot of people who claim they know a lot about history when milhist or WW2 courses were the only history classes they ever took as electives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The point isn't that you shouldn't learn military history, but that there's a lot of people who claim they know a lot about history when milhist or WW2 courses were the only history classes they ever took as electives.

the History thread in ask tell is a good example of that. just endless WW2 posting.

so loving boring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I learned a ton of history from Age of Empires.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

CharlestheHammer posted:

the History thread in ask tell is a good example of that. just endless WW2 posting.

so loving boring.
tbf, there's also occasions where discussion strays to pikes and muskets or making GBS threads in WW1 trenches.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The most insightful course I ever took was a History of American Religion course, which went a long way to explaining why Americans are so deranged. Protestantism was a mistake.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Lol "are we part of the LGBT community"

The constant talk of "degeneracy" would go over so well

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've played all five of those historical video games and i'm still on war thunder all the time

a friend of mine just discovered dan carlin like last month and it's loving hilarious

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

War Thunder is way better than World of Tanks just for its damage modeling.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm on planes 90% of the time in lower tiers, but yeah realistic tank mode owns

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

frankenfreak posted:

tbf, there's also occasions where discussion strays to pikes and muskets or making GBS threads in WW1 trenches.

but you have to go through so much repeated bullshit.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Aliquid posted:

a friend of mine just discovered dan carlin like last month and it's loving hilarious

Send him a link to Hardcore Prophecy:nws:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Aliquid posted:

i've played all five of those historical video games and i'm still on war thunder all the time

Tell them to listen to Mike Duncan's revolutions podcast.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

give him a link that starts it past the disclaimer, and tell him it's real

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:smith:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

so loving boring.

Nah, man, their main point of discussion is on pikes, outfits, and defenestrations. WW2 takes a back seat to all those fancy hats and boots and ruffles and stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Tell them to listen to Mike Duncan's revolutions podcast.

some of revolutions is great for people like us but i'm sure his eyes would glaze over

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I played Dynasty Warriors a lot and would like to lecture on ancient china

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Dollop is better than Hardcore History. :colbert:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Dollop is better than Hardcore History. :colbert:

maybe, but i'll never know because i hate the word "dollop"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flavius Belisarius posted:

maybe, but i'll never know because i hate the word "dollop"

The Animal Horror of Macquarie Island is one of the best single podcast episodes ever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PYF historical fact thread is pretty good about avoiding milhist wankery

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Not quite milhist, but I took a war philosophy class that focused on how war has been justified and how The Correct Way to War has been determined from the modern era on. I bring this up because one of the students was a proto-pepe that was clearly disappointed about this.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

lmfao

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most insightful course I ever took was a History of American Religion course, which went a long way to explaining why Americans are so deranged. Protestantism was a mistake.

They threw out the baby and kept the bathwater.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yepppp

"i'm a history buff" always always means they like military history, usually about world wars

a friend of mine's dad used to own a game shop that advertised itself as a "war gaming and history" store

every sunday all the dads from the civil war reenactment clubs would come in and play their 8mm historic tabletop wargames, and the shelves of this place were ringed with books about military history, in order to accurately paint your napoleonic army's uniforms and to present the battles correctly so you can refight them

it's like the most dad hobby possible

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its like wargaming for train guys

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lancemantis posted:

its like wargaming for train guys