Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Black Sunshine posted:

Unless he finds the fountain of youth then how is it anything more than a side grade at best?

I have zero expectations for anything this year. Could go 4-12 just as easily as 12-4.

Gruden is putting on a master class in "let's just randomly do a bunch of random poo poo because lol random"

DJ was one of the top coverage LBs in the league last year. Bowman, while a solid run stuffer, couldn't cover Dennis Pitta at this point. What's random about that? Not saying they're going to be 12-4 or 4-12 but almost all of Gruden's pickups have made sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I concede that it's more of a "let's pretend it's 2002 and build a team based on crafty old dudes like Gannon, Brown, Rice, Kennedy, Romanowski, Woodson, etc" but whatever, it's so stupid that i guess it feels random to me.

I'm assuming there's a reason nobody gave a poo poo about Derrick Johnson for 2 months after he was released.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Black Sunshine posted:

I concede that it's more of a "let's pretend it's 2002 and build a team based on crafty old dudes like Gannon, Brown, Rice, Kennedy, Romanowski, Woodson, etc" but whatever, it's so stupid that i guess it feels random to me.

I'm assuming there's a reason nobody gave a poo poo about Derrick Johnson for 2 months after he was released.

Looks like DJ had some mild interest from other teams

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/derrick-johnson-on-joining-the-raiders

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Johnson says when he met with Gruden — although he spoke with other clubs, the Raiders were the only team to have him in for a visit

Mild is one way to say it. Tepid might be another.

You're also putting a lot of stock into some stats that I don't believe tell the whole story re: coverage. Like I said somewhere else, DJ's mind is still fine and he knows more about linebacking than almost anyone. His body just won't let him do it well anymore. I guess we'll see, I don't want to root against him but...I just don't think there's anything left in the tank.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

You're also putting a lot of stock into some stats that I don't believe tell the whole story re: coverage. Like I said somewhere else, DJ's mind is still fine and he knows more about linebacking than almost anyone. His body just won't let him do it well anymore. I guess we'll see, I don't want to root against him but...I just don't think there's anything left in the tank.

I mean, that's fair. I'm just going off of nerdy analytics. I don't think he's going to be some cure all or anything but as a nickel LB there's some value there.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

A fair way to put it. His mind was definitely still processing things quickly, but his body wasn't matching it. If he can get faster somehow, he's a great signing. Big if though.

Nothing bad to say about DJ. He was a big team player.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"Yeah he's awesome he might even be as good as Thomas Howard" is my favorite take ever.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

lmao

https://twitter.com/JackAsspuria/status/993613114598866944

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'd rather have Elijah Hood than Doug Martin

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Neither should be on the roster.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Martin's great dude. Dare I say he could be as good as lamont jordan

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Volkerball posted:

"Yeah he's awesome he might even be as good as Thomas Howard" is my favorite take ever.

Hey there...for a hot minute, "The Law Offices of Howard and Morrison" was a real thing and a few of us, myself included, even had avatars about it.

It all went away too soon :sad:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Martin's great dude. Dare I say he could be as good as lamont jordan
Only if he eats a towel :colbert:

And Bowman must be asking a lot for him to not be signed anywhere at this point. (Of course I expect him to sign somewhere else on a completely reasonable deal cause that’s how it always seems to turn out)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/LeviDamien/status/994288271571075072

https://twitter.com/BairNBCS/status/994288935139360769

BEST SHAPE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/CJR16255/status/993675192785227776

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

This is adorable

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The legend of the no-look pass grows

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like the buzz surrounding Mahomes would be very different had the Broncos managed to figure out a way to have a defender get within 10 yards of Albert Wilson.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/994677108709515264?s=20

Apparently Johnson was originally brought in to get the QBs up to speed on the playbook since Gruden wasn't allowed to talk to the players per the CBA, until OTAs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

warcrimes posted:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/994677108709515264?s=20

Apparently Johnson was originally brought in to get the QBs up to speed on the playbook since Gruden wasn't allowed to talk to the players per the CBA, until OTAs.

Ah, as I suspected, all part of Chairman Gruden's glorious and ingenious plan.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Simplex posted:

I feel like the buzz surrounding Mahomes would be very different had the Broncos managed to figure out a way to have a defender get within 10 yards of Albert Wilson.

The buzz wasn't created in the Denver game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

The buzz wasn't created in the Denver game.

No but it's all you guys point to when people say he has no real NFL experience, other than styling on a defense that had given up in a week 17 game game that meant nothing for either team

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
please post more mahomes gifs and tell us how much he owns

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

No but it's all you guys point to when people say he has no real NFL experience, other than styling on a defense that had given up in a week 17 game game that meant nothing for either team

Mahomes owns bones and has in every practice, preseason game and day of his life. The reason people point to the Denver game is because the auto-retort is "well let's see him do it in a game!" and then you have to be like "well he did play one game with scrub offensive personnel against Denver's starting defense in Denver and won." But actually that game wasn't the reason people flipped out, it's the sheer volume of info coming out of the Chiefs front office.

Like, every single fiber of our beings should pump the brakes on Mahomes. Especially the Chiefs front office. But they haven't. They're fueling the fire. Why would they do that? They're basically putting their jobs on the line that he works out. If he doesn't it will flame out in spectacular fashion. But instead they're doing this...

quote:

Last month, the cast of "Good Morning Football" on the NFL Network was gushing about Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Kay Adams, who leads the roundtable discussion, said she expected big things from Mahomes, who will be the starter in 2018. But the biggest Mahomes fan of the group is Peter Schrager, who shared a tidbit after talking with people at the NFL Combine.

"I'll tell you the story that I got in the Combine was that members of the Chiefs coaching staff and front office were showing grainy videos of their phone of Mahomes passes from practice, like showing other teams like, 'You have no idea. This is a Week 7 practice video...'" Schrager said.

Boy, that makes me wonder what Chiefs officials have on video. It's hard to imagine what could be better than the no-look pass Mahomes threw against the Broncos in last year's regular-season finale.

https://sports.yahoo.com/andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-tremendous-170100275.html

edit: whoops wrong interview

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 11, 2018

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Let’s all agree that the games still have to be played, it’s the hardest position to succeed at in sports, and he’s an exciting prospect for a fanbase that’s never really had a non-leftover QB to root for

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Try going 32 years without taking a QB in the first round.

I think it's silly to obsess over a game for 8 months, but I get ir.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nope I'm riding this hype train straight to hell all aboard

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Let’s all agree that the games still have to be played, it’s the hardest position to succeed at in sports, and he’s an exciting prospect for a fanbase that’s never really had a non-leftover QB to root for

I just wanna beat KC again.

Go Bolts

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm slightly rooting against them only because they already have a Cup

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

How loving dare you

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Bolts > Broncos > Chiefs

Gotta have an order for your division hatred.

E: what I'm saying is, I hate the Chiefs the most.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Look man, at least the Chiefs had cool and good players like Joe Delaney and Montana, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas , Christian Okoye and however painful it may be, Marcus loving Allen my goddamn childhood hero. poo poo, they even basically gave us Gannon.

Denver had Elway. A player so vile that KC couldn't even hope to have a player so universally hated amongst fans of the sport so you're objectively wrong as hell.

gently caress Denver until the goddamn universe collapses into itself and gently caress them for a thousand millennia afterward just to be sure

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No one hates us the most because we are historically irrelevant.

I guess San Diegans hate the Chargers the most

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Black Sunshine posted:

Look man, at least the Chiefs had cool and good players like Joe Delaney and Montana, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas , Christian Okoye and however painful it may be, Marcus loving Allen my goddamn childhood hero. poo poo, they even basically gave us Gannon.

Denver had Elway. A player so vile that KC couldn't even hope to have a player so universally hated amongst fans of the sport so you're objectively wrong as hell.

gently caress Denver until the goddamn universe collapses into itself and gently caress them for a thousand millennia afterward just to be sure

Elway wasn't even the best QB from the '83 draft too

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

Elway wasn't even the best QB from the '83 draft too

My friends who are Broncos fans get so mad when I say that Peyton is the best QB in Denver history

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hell, if you asked Elway the same question I think he would also say Peyton

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope I can hate a division rival QB as much as you guys hate Elway. Maybe one day......

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope I can hate a division rival QB as much as you guys hate Elway. Maybe one day......

I mean I guess 2nd place is Rivers. Elway is by far the best QB in division history and the next two are Rivers and Fouts. Dan doesn't really command hate, and I don't think Gannon, Dawson, Stabler, Plunkett, Trent Green or Alex Smith do either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh Montana?

• Locked thread